Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
WWE NXT Discussion & GDT: Struggling Journeyman Wrestlers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
NXT: That Indies Guy You Like has a Stable Paycheck Having Bad Matches

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Benne posted:

People love Tye because, even though he's not an indie geek with street cred, he's paid his dues for over a decade, failed several times, but kept coming back and trying again, unwavering. And now he's finally on the main roster, which is something nobody could've predicted a year ago. He'll probably never be more than a midcard drone, but that's still a really cool "overcoming the odds" story that's easy to get behind.
His dues have nothing to do with it. People loved Tye Dillinger because of 10 but more generally because goofy conceited heels get face heat from smarks (e.g. When the Drifter put on a mask and became face for a night). When he started the prop comedy routine using the hidden 10 cards it was just a matter of time before the crowd realized how much they liked yelling 10 and turned him face. Then he became the top midcard face because comedy acts lend themselves perfectly to underdog roles (e.g. Santino).

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Heavy Machinery Own Zone (and also general NXT discussion too, I guess)

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

WWE NXT Discussion & GDT: Developmental Lives DON'T Matter

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
WWE NXT Discussion & GDT: 40 Year Old Up and Comers Only

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

dromal phrenia posted:

WWE NXT Discussion & GDT: Developmental Lives DON'T Matter

Untrue, as all of them do.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nxt sucks and HHH is killing indie wrestling because he actually think he is a smart booker.

Asuka is cool.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

WWE NXT Discussion & GDT: Pushing Fat Guys Behind Vince's Back

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

WWE NXT Discussion & GDT: Even PWG has more notable shows per year

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
NXT: Suicide Dive Prevention Hotline

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

NXT: Hunter x Hunter

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Omg THIS

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

As great as Tye finally winning was, I have to say the highspot of the match to me was EY's flying elbow. Looked brutal as hell and was perfectly executed, despite the height, whereas most people trying the elbow drop can barely keep their form just coming off the top rope. Also,

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

NXT: It's alright

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
nxt is good again/was always good

Balls to the Mall
Feb 11, 2011

Kinda disappointing for it to be yet another trump av.

:wom:
NXT: If Bobby Roode doesn't put you to sleep, Hideo Itami will

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

:perfect:

okay, it might be partially Hunter's company line, but it seems like NXT has re-built a new class really well. And that includes the writing - there was a period where the booking was boring, but it's turned around pretty well.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Why isn't Danny Burch a bigger deal? He's always been really solid and he's got some nice in-ring tough guy charisma, but they rarely use him. Is he just booked elsewhere all the time or do they have nothing for him?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
^ Wish I knew.

Check out the sideplates https://twitter.com/WWEAsuka/status/855186917931069440

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One thing I will say on newer WWE/NXT belt designs: I will flat out admit I am a shameless mark for side plates.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/LeoGaoWWE/status/855200519664672768

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Can he wrestle? Because I love him.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

really?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Haha nice

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

sticklefifer posted:

Why isn't Danny Burch a bigger deal? He's always been really solid and he's got some nice in-ring tough guy charisma, but they rarely use him. Is he just booked elsewhere all the time or do they have nothing for him?

I think he's not actually under contract and they just use him for PPA jobs. Seems like he's keeping himself busy enough in the UK indie scene.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

he's actually living stateside in Florida and primarily works southern indies where they're into his toughguy shitkicker shtick

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

i liked Burch even when he was a featured player but by most accounts he's improved a great deal after getting let go. He's a top face in Georgia? People really love their Statham knockoffs, and I say that as a fan of the man.

harperdc posted:

:perfect:

okay, it might be partially Hunter's company line, but it seems like NXT has re-built a new class really well. And that includes the writing - there was a period where the booking was boring, but it's turned around pretty well.
The same things happened that happened in the past - the stagnant high card got called up, and some new PC talent (Heavy Machinery / Dylan Miley) are generating interest. Even the women's division got some air by giving Asuka her full heel turn. But there are a lot of ways it could regress. They could choose to keep Roode strong against Itami, they could fail to use their small window of opportunity to build credible faces against Asuka.

The one thing that doesn't change is that their roster is still overstuffed. Sooner or later the new talent smell will fade and we'll be back where we were, with names like Hero, Roddy, Drew, Almas, Nikki and Ruby being featured far below their potential in matchups with little stakes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

i liked Burch even when he was a featured player but by most accounts he's improved a great deal after getting let go. He's a top face in Georgia? People really love their Statham knockoffs, and I say that as a fan of the man.

The same things happened that happened in the past - the stagnant high card got called up, and some new PC talent (Heavy Machinery / Dylan Miley) are generating interest. Even the women's division got some air by giving Asuka her full heel turn. But there are a lot of ways it could regress. They could choose to keep Roode strong against Itami, they could fail to use their small window of opportunity to build credible faces against Asuka.

The one thing that doesn't change is that their roster is still overstuffed. Sooner or later the new talent smell will fade and we'll be back where we were, with names like Hero, Roddy, Drew, Almas, Nikki and Ruby being featured far below their potential in matchups with little stakes.

Understandable. But I've also realized that I enjoy the two good "studio wrestling" shows out there now - NXT and Lucha Underground - partially because they've got enough names to rotate each week without leaning too heavily on any of them. Sure, somebody can appear in two straight weeks and not be overexposed, but if they are away a couple episodes they can be picked right back up without missing a beat. Keeps things fresh in a good way.

(It's almost like Raw and Smackdown are each too long and try to book everyone every week. Huh.)

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/willh94/status/855578889061531649

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I really couldn't have cared less about Danny Burch until the U.K. tournament at which point I became infuriated that he's just been so wasted in NXT.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I mean he was being wasted but he's not currently being wasted.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Shirtless Ohno?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MacDougall posted:

Shirtless Ohno?

He needs to lose 30 pounds or gain 60. Anything in between has no place in wrestling.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Davros1 posted:

He needs to lose 30 pounds or gain 60. Anything in between has no place in wrestling.

Strongly disagree. His body is perfect.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Basic Chunnel posted:

I mean he was being wasted but he's not currently being wasted.

How so? Unless there are spoiler things, which I don't want to know about. His match last week was really fun but I just want him to be more than an enhancement guy in NXT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Or he could just wear blue jeans and a cowboy hat and not worry about his body at all

• Locked thread