Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

DoctorGonzo posted:

I just discovered the first pass military building and im bored out of my mind in HZD. I wish i have buyed Persona 5 or Yakuza 0 instead. After Witcher 3 i think i have open world fatigue and im serious considering buying the complete edition of that game again.

I felt mostly the same way till i had a 3 week break from Horizon and now i just wanna hunt robot dinosaurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Persona is not the game to buy if you don't want to spend 50+ hours playing a game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

DoctorGonzo posted:

I just discovered the first pass military building and im bored out of my mind in HZD. I wish i have buyed Persona 5 or Yakuza 0 instead. After Witcher 3 i think i have open world fatigue and im serious considering buying the complete edition of that game again.

I felt the same about Horizon going to it straight after Breath of the Wild. I can only do so many open world games in a row. Im interested in Mass Effect, but it will be a long loving time before I dip into that open worldness again. Just take a break and play something linear.

Yakuza is not "open world" in the way they fatigue me. Maybe something real linear though? Nioh? a shooter?

exquisite tea posted:

Persona is not the game to buy if you don't want to spend 50+ hours playing a game.

Its not the length that fatigues me personally about open world games. Something about the huge world and travelling and icon-salad, invariable fetchquests. Horizon was better then most but still had some bullshit thrown in. The good exploration and discovery that open worlds give comes at the price of a lot of bad that developers haven't gotten around.

Horizon might be the pinnacle of the genre but I think the gene needs revamped, not perfected. I hope Breath of the Wild gets a lot of things shamelessly stolen from it, cause got dang that game made exploring fun for the first time in a long drat time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Schremp Howard posted:

Fine you come beat one hit kill sniper missions for me if they're so fun.

Ok share play me

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bombadilillo posted:

. Just take a break and play something linear.

Horizon might be the pinnacle of the genre

Im playing the uncharted series and i think it sucks. Until Dawn its great so far.

Witcher 3

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm on a turn based RPG high after Persona 5 and Cosmic Star Heroine, did Darkest Dungeon ever get that less grindy mode for its PS4 version? I asked in the main DD thread but it got buried under strat chat

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lakbay posted:

I'm on a turn based RPG high after Persona 5 and Cosmic Star Heroine, did Darkest Dungeon ever get that less grindy mode for its PS4 version? I asked in the main DD thread but it got buried under strat chat

If you want a fun semi-Persona JRPG, go try Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

DoctorGonzo posted:

Im playing the uncharted series and i think it sucks. Until Dawn its great so far.

Witcher 3

Blood and Wine was my favorite open world experience ever, by far. Not France was so loving good.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Everyone speaks SO fondly of Nier:Automata. I have it rented and have had it since launch. I really want to see what it's all about, but these days my time is limited and I've made it up to the revelation underground that the Aliens are dead and those 2 fruity anime twins (adam and eve?)

I find it intriguing, but am wondering if there is a big HOOK nearby to really suck me in, or if maybe it's just not doing it for me, no fault of the game's...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Feenix posted:

Everyone speaks SO fondly of Nier:Automata. I have it rented and have had it since launch. I really want to see what it's all about, but these days my time is limited and I've made it up to the revelation underground that the Aliens are dead and those 2 fruity anime twins (adam and eve?)

I find it intriguing, but am wondering if there is a big HOOK nearby to really suck me in, or if maybe it's just not doing it for me, no fault of the game's...
If you're not even a little bit hooked yet you may never be. The mechanics do get switched up a lot in your future, and the story and presentation take some amazing turns, but by now you should be feeling it, and if not its maybe just not the game for you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the big hook is prob what happens after the ending b credit roll, which is pretty far off from where you are

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

the big hook is prob what happens after the ending b credit roll, which is pretty far off from where you are
The thing to hook you in is absolutely not 20-30 hours into the game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'd say it happens after ending A, the big hook is that each subsequent pass through the game is quite different from the previous.

Akuma posted:

The signature feature that distinguishes it from almost all other games of its genre, then.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's every yoko taro game and you should be expecting it by this point even if you've never played one before

e: I mean for real tho, if you don't like the game then just don't play it. asking someone else to convince you to keep playing if you're not into it is kinda pointless imo

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 20, 2017

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

haveblue posted:

The signature feature that distinguishes it from almost all other games of its genre, then.
I don't think that's what they're asking for, they're saying "am I close to a point in the game that's the thing that got people raving about it?" I mean I could be wrong but that's how it seems to me. To which the answer is "that point for most people was probably before or around where you are now" not "once the credits roll."

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I would also agree if you aren't already into the game you probably aren't going to be in it for the long haul. Since we are openly talking about multiple endings/playthroughs... I personally found the 2nd playthrough to be the least interesting and fun in regards to actual gameplay. So... would probably be pretty rough making it through that if you already aren't really into the story.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 20, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Akuma posted:

I don't think that's what they're asking for, they're saying "am I close to a point in the game that's the thing that got people raving about it?" I mean I could be wrong but that's how it seems to me. To which the answer is "that point for most people was probably before or around where you are now" not "once the credits roll."

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

if they're asking about the point that got people raving about it, then no it really is what happens after ending b and not anything before it

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Feenix posted:

Don't do sidequests that don't seem fun, and push through the story. If you are missing materials for a weapon, google what side quest gives you 5 of them. I was getting a bit bored but once you get past ending A (which can be real quick if you stop trying to 100% it) it gets Really REALLY good. and just keeps getting better from then on.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, if it's not doing it for you then you don't have to keep going, but the ending is where it gets upgraded from a basic open world RPG with decent-enough combat to something else.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I was sold on the game as soon as I got partway into B. Specifically, the additional content when you encounter Simone.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Akuma posted:

This is my story with HZD so far

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

Lakbay posted:

DD isn't great. I was hoping that radiant mode was going to make it fun to play but whether or not PS4 got that patch the main draw is still the grimy squashed Cthulhu look and the books on tape guy voiceover.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Honestly Nier: A didn't even seem that grindy to me and the sidequests all seemed pretty standard and non-annoying (with the exception of one), though I just might be comparing it to the original. Just know that you eventually get quick travel so anything that seems really annoyingly fetch questy can be done much simpler like mid way through playthrough A and also know there is only one missable thing in the entire game (and it's probably one of the last things you'll do) so if you want to come back and do something later when it'll be easier, you can do that with no consequence. There are a few things that are hard to 100% but you also aren't required to 100% anything for any reason outside your own OCD.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

Honestly Nier: A didn't even seem that grindy to me and the sidequests all seemed pretty standard and non-annoying (with the exception of one), though I just might be comparing it to the original. Just know that you eventually get quick travel so anything that seems really annoyingly fetch questy can be done much simpler like mid way through playthrough A and also know there is only one missable thing in the entire game (and it's probably one of the last things you'll do) so if you want to come back and do something later when it'll be easier, you can do that with no consequence. There are a few things that are hard to 100% but you also aren't required to 100% anything for any reason outside your own OCD.

I really wish I knew fast travel was coming in Nier, I wasted a lot of time doing side quests before that.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

MPLS to NOLA posted:

DD isn't great. I was hoping that radiant mode was going to make it fun to play but whether or not PS4 got that patch the main draw is still the grimy squashed Cthulhu look and the books on tape guy voiceover.

That's the same thing with me for Persona 5, I don't find the combat system particularly compelling on a decision making level but all the style they dumped on the UI and animations makes it great. I couldn't find anything for the ps4 version of Darkest Dungeon getting radiant mode so I guess I'll just pass on it for now

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

In Nier: A I wish someone would have told me to do all my exploring and sidequests on playthrough two, because not being able to open the hacking stuff was annoying and by the time I got to playthrough two I didn't feel like going back and trying to find everything.

edit: (Big spoiler)Although doing all of the combat related sidequests as 9S would have been a giant pain as well.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 20, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bombadilillo posted:

I felt the same about Horizon going to it straight after Breath of the Wild. I can only do so many open world games in a row. Im interested in Mass Effect, but it will be a long loving time before I dip into that open worldness again. Just take a break and play something linear.
Yeah, I just finished Breath of the Wild a few days ago and have been playing Horizon and it's OK but Zelda really spoiled me. It's kind of fun just to turn your brain off and stab dinosaurs. But at the same time, I've been spoiled since I keep trying to climb and explore places and do cool intuitive poo poo and the game is like NOPE! Also I find it disorienting with the camera so I'm never able to soak in the fantastic views like I could in Zelda, and it sometimes looks really good but also sometimes like dark washed-out rear end (Witcher 3 and Zelda have both spoiled me for rain effects, the rain in this is also ugly).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

katkillad2 posted:

In Nier: A I wish someone would have told me to do all my exploring and sidequests on playthrough two, because not being able to open the hacking stuff was annoying and by the time I got to playthrough two I didn't feel like going back and trying to find everything.

edit: (Big spoiler)Although doing all of the combat related sidequests as 9S would have been a giant pain as well.

It's not as bad as you think because (and while the game draws no attention to it) you can buy a chip that shows you items and chests on the map so hunting those becomes way easier even if you feel you passed by a bunch.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

glam rock hamhock posted:

It's not as bad as you think because (and while the game draws no attention to it) you can buy a chip that shows you items and chests on the map so hunting those becomes way easier even if you feel you passed by a bunch.

That chip shows both collectibles and basic drop chests as the same icon so it's not nearly as useful as it should be.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Xaris posted:

Yeah, I just finished Breath of the Wild a few days ago and have been playing Horizon and it's OK but Zelda really spoiled me.

This is exactly what I did as well, put in 120 hours of BotW and went to Horizon after a few days break from gaming. My biggest issue is the lack of a hang glider... I think I've died twice already jumping off cliffs. It doesn't make sense to have a hang glider in Horizon, but I wish there was one.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm glad I've already beaten Horizon and have yet to play Breath of the Wild from what you folks are saying

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Lakbay posted:

I'm glad I've already beaten Horizon and have yet to play Breath of the Wild from what you folks are saying

Was the opposite for me, Horizon made Zelda feel dated.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Xaris posted:

Yeah, I just finished Breath of the Wild a few days ago and have been playing Horizon and it's OK but Zelda really spoiled me. It's kind of fun just to turn your brain off and stab dinosaurs. But at the same time, I've been spoiled since I keep trying to climb and explore places and do cool intuitive poo poo and the game is like NOPE! Also I find it disorienting with the camera so I'm never able to soak in the fantastic views like I could in Zelda, and it sometimes looks really good but also sometimes like dark washed-out rear end (Witcher 3 and Zelda have both spoiled me for rain effects, the rain in this is also ugly).

Same, I played Zelda first because from talk I thought Horizon was going to be so much better that I didn't want to follow it with Zelda and be disappointed in my $400 Zelda machine. But the opposite happened and I was disappointed with a lot of parts of Horizon. Exploring was just a chore and not fun. Need to get sets of things made it not rewarding to blindly explore, so it was just busy work of getting to places on the map. I should have played Horizon first. I feel like all the talk of the refined and best version of the open world formula would have been great if I hadn't just seen it done better in a lot of ways. Specifically exploration, travel and the map system.

Again, I really hope developers shamelessly steal ideas from Breath of the Wild.

katkillad2 posted:

This is exactly what I did as well, put in 120 hours of BotW and went to Horizon after a few days break from gaming. My biggest issue is the lack of a hang glider... I think I've died twice already jumping off cliffs. It doesn't make sense to have a hang glider in Horizon, but I wish there was one.

This and mother loving chesthigh walls that Aloy could, as a believable human, just pull herself up, but nope, this environmental 'puzzle' is walk around till you find a bullshit yellow spot you are allowed to interact with.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 20, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Lakbay posted:

Depends on what you want out of a game. The thing Zelda does really loving good and blows almost everything else out is the sense of exploration and finding random cool poo poo on your own instead of having giant glowing icons and waypoints all over to follow. Want to go to X place? No problem, just start running and climbing! Here it's like OK look for that tiny little yellow pole, ok good now look around for another tiny yellow ledge and feels a lot more inorganic and kind of frustrating when you expect to climb things and can't.

Things that you can pickup at really obvious and you'll find so much detailed cool stuff just gliding or walking around on your own accord, and being able to climb everything and orient yourself with just landmarks is fun as hell. Also just soaking in the natural pretty vistas with huge draw distances which are really loving pretty; but HZD is more hyper-detailed at a local level (which is also partly why you DO need waypoints/icons over every little thing).

But it also has some downsides as there are not a lot of cool setpieces by itself or very interesting extensive dungeons to explore. I'm at some underground sigma base or something right now and it's really pretty and neat.

Bow/ranged combat is obviously a lot better and more involved in HZD; melee combat is different and just preference, here's it's mostly heavy stab or fast stab, maybe a dodge or chain Sneak Strike a bunch of dinos which feels cool as hell in it's own way. Zelda has stuff like Parry timing to reflect giant laserblasts back and timed dodging for Flurry Rush combos which also feels really good when you pull off perfect parrying. Both are still good in their own way

Xaris fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 20, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Horizon is pretty, I can imagine going that way to make Zelda look bad. Id rather get used to that, then feel the exploration was poo poo in a whole open world game.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Xaris posted:

The thing Zelda does really loving good and blows almost everything else out is the sense of exploration and finding random cool poo poo on your own instead of having giant glowing icons and waypoints all over to follow.

This is what I think is huge about BotW. It sounds so simple... see something interesting? Ok go check it out. The map filled with literally hundreds of icons telling you where to go in games like GTA/Asscred and whatever else really started putting me off years ago. I had so much fun exploring in BotW that I only used a horse for an hour or so out of my 120'ish hours with it.

I'm only about 8 hours into Horizon, but it looks fantastic, the story is great so far and the combat is satisfying. Aside from them both being open world games, they are really different. I'm not sure if it's just that I've had a long layoff of the towers/camps/icon type game or if this Horizon has elevated that style of game, but I'm having fun with it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah Horizon would definitely look better on your PS4 Pro on your sicknasty 4K TV.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Bombadilillo posted:

Horizon is pretty, I can imagine going that way to make Zelda look bad. Id rather get used to that, then feel the exploration was poo poo in a whole open world game.

Horizon also has much better combat, plot, dialogue and inventory management (even though it's still not great for the latter).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Fuzz posted:

Movies generally release on Wednesday North America. :eng101:

The theater where I work changes the bill on Thursday nights, so new releases happen on Fridays. Friday, Sat, Sun are the most popular days of the week for moviegoing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Horizon also has much better combat, plot, dialogue and inventory management (even though it's still not great for the latter).

While I agree with all these statements, the majority of my time it was going place to place in a large open world I didn't like going though. The missions where it got linear were amazing and super fun. I wish the whole game was linear honestly. It felt like a chore to get the good parts that were in fact very very good.