Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Just wait a couple of years and get you one of these

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-2eGlGsvqWJDlp83.htm

AWD straight 6 turbo manual wagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I looked into importing a HiAce truck several years ago but grew suspicious of loads 'em on dozens of different Japanese dealership sites for under $1k with sub 40k km on the clocks.

Then again I never really understood the whole process and still want one.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 20, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So are we really smoking tires today? :stare:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I looked into importing a HiAce truck several years ago but grew suspicious of loads 'em on dozens of different Japanese dealership sites for under $1k with sub 40k km on the clocks.

Then again I never really understood the whole process and still want one.

You are not alone, grey importing can be pretty shady and I have had run ins with a few people trying to sell cars that are sitting in Japan that didn't exist or they had sold to a bunch of different people. Main thing to remember is that second hand cars in Japan are dirt cheap and if you can get a 3-4 Kie cans into one container shipping isn't a lot. Most of them will at least meet US road standards for things like lights so you are usually good to go with a speedo drive converter. In the UK as an example you need the speedo converter and at least a rear fog light most of the time since they don't fit those in Japan.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yes, I need an excuse to put some decent summer tyres on my Poop Pack.

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 20, 2017

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

SquirrelGrip posted:

starting to go through photos and video from ebisu and made some gifs

Super cool!

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Kei truck chat:

On Monday I was driving around downtown Minneapolis which was terrible except for this bearded dude driving around a kei truck which was bright yellow and had some company logo on it. :iia:

Scuz have you seen that dude running around before?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Been huffing Dunlops all day.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Kei truck chat:

On Monday I was driving around downtown Minneapolis which was terrible except for this bearded dude driving around a kei truck which was bright yellow and had some company logo on it. :iia:

Scuz have you seen that dude running around before?
:stare: No but I'll be keepin' me peepers peeled. That kinda stuff around here turns my head fast enough to pop it off my shoulders.

Today on "Babby's First," scuz travels by himself for the very first time, first to the airport, and a flight to New Orleans.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

scuz posted:

:stare: No but I'll be keepin' me peepers peeled. That kinda stuff around here turns my head fast enough to pop it off my shoulders.

Today on "Babby's First," scuz travels by himself for the very first time, first to the airport, and a flight to New Orleans.

Yeah it was super cool, great condition, and right hand drive even.

The first time in an airport by myself I actually found it really relaxing to not have to spend mental energy dealing with anyone other than myself.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Yeah it was super cool, great condition, and right hand drive even.

The first time in an airport by myself I actually found it really relaxing to not have to spend mental energy dealing with anyone other than myself.
I AM looking forward to that, but while I was standing and waiting for the light rail to pick me up, I realized I forgot my toothbrush. Off to a fine start!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Let alone if you get involved in a crash you are about as hosed as if you were hit while riding a bicycle.

To be honest you'd be better off on a bicycle because you might get thrown, land in some grass and be kind of ok.

The trend in the states lately has been street legal golf carts, GEM electric vehicles along with the Kei trucks that aren't required to have safety standards, yet are allowed to drive on streets. I know someone that drives around a GEM with his kids and I think he's loving insane, no way anyone is going to escape serious injury or death even in a low speed accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roLcNwRi1Sk

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If you want to enjoy it, eh. But I aint walking back any part of my statement otherwise, I've driven a few different small Kei style vans / pickups that AI seem to adore and all I can say is that you have to be loving crazy, not a single one has any charm - or anything CLOSE to being anything other than a turd on wheels. Let alone if you get involved in a crash you are about as hosed as if you were hit while riding a bicycle.

Most of the cars AI likes are deathtraps anyway to say nothing of people with motorcycles. A kei car is a motorcycle with a hat and I'm aware of the total and complete lack of safety anything. I would rather drive a kei van around than a motorcycle any day of the week though because at least people are more likely to see me.

As for being a turd on wheels sure I get that but I think modern pickup trucks are giant, lifted me-to typical no taste unfeeling things that are as uncool as a beige Camry yet I understand that they just aren't for me. I use less fuel, take up less space and make lots of people smile because of my tiny turd while being able to transport 99% of what everyone claims they need a full size truck or SUV for. Plus these things have an honesty about them because they aren't trying to be anything but a small van or truck and that's quite endearing to me.

Hands off that Stagea one of those is mine after I get my AZ-1 (talk about deathtraps)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

YES! (click the frog) :getin: technically smoked on Saturday

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Locator posted:

You seem to have lost my way my friend. You should go to this thread of enlightenment to find your true path.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3148869

Nope.
Ain't got time for full on model building right now. Mind you, I have an entire shelving unit of unbuilt plastic kits (mostly cars) that I will get to some day, but I don't have the time to build them to the level of quality I want - paint, corrections, a few added details, etc. Also, I'd wager most of my paints have dried up. I used to build back in Junior and High School.
Hence, what amounts to a snap-together that I can assemble in an afternoon.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Buy from AliExpress for a dollar instead. It takes about 2-4 weeks to arrive, but alipay is the largest payment processor in the world, and I've never been scammed.

Holy poo poo.

Also, knock offs of LEGO kits? How is that not getting shut down? I mean, the bricks should be out of patent, but whole, entire, *licensed* kits?
I assume that the answer is "China".

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Also, if you're shopping at HL and not using the 40% Off One Item coupon, you're doing it wrong.

Impulse buy for me. I was just along for the ride when my wife needed something or another.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
P much "China." But they are awesome. I bought some biochemical victim war LEGO knockoffs, and a real bespoke Panzer tank LEGO kit.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Apparently this is a thing. No need for sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJk97fzG4T0

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

glyph posted:

White people dot mp4

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Darchangel posted:

Nope.
Ain't got time for full on model building right now. Mind you, I have an entire shelving unit of unbuilt plastic kits (mostly cars) that I will get to some day, but I don't have the time to build them to the level of quality I want - paint, corrections, a few added details, etc. Also, I'd wager most of my paints have dried up. I used to build back in Junior and High School.
Hence, what amounts to a snap-together that I can assemble in an afternoon.

There have been a bunch of those little metal kits in that thread.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

scuz posted:

Travelling on your own is awesome and don't let anybody tell you otherwise

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

glyph posted:

Man, I haven't flown a control line plane in probably 20+ years.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Somewhat Heroic posted:

YES! (click the frog) :getin: technically smoked on Saturday

Nice :)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Travelling on your own is awesome and don't let anybody tell you otherwise
Yeah, it's great. Just do whatever you want, when you want.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Buy from AliExpress for a dollar instead. It takes about 2-4 weeks to arrive, but alipay is the largest payment processor in the world, and I've never been scammed.
I dont like you. I now have a classic mustang, 89 batmobile, an old datsun and the captain america shield in my cart.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
poo poo now I need to buy the Datsun kit

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Man, I haven't flown a control line plane in probably 20+ years.

Control line flying is fine, it's the prancy pants dance going on in the middle that's cracking me up. Kudos to the camera man, not even bothering with the action in the air.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Cage posted:

I dont like you. I now have a classic mustang, 89 batmobile, an old datsun and the captain america shield in my cart.

I am boycotting these models, there isn't a land cruiser one. :colbert:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Man, I'm really considering driving four hours to purchase this.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CornHolio posted:

If you do, let me know. That's pretty close to me.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Fermented Tinal posted:

I am boycotting these models, there isn't a land cruiser one. :colbert:

But...But...Bel air taxi

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32767843705.html#autostay

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

glyph posted:

Control line flying is fine, it's the prancy pants dance going on in the middle that's cracking me up. Kudos to the camera man, not even bothering with the action in the air.

I've never done that part of it, only heard tales of it from my old man. Just made me realize how long it's been since I've fired one up.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

CornHolio posted:

You have quickly changed your tune from "buying next year" to "right loving now." :lol: I'd get a local to check it if the guy said the paint was poo poo. Hard to tell since it's wet in those pics.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
30 year old car with black paint is 99% likely to be hosed up paint

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Have any americans imported a Canadian car? I asked in the bmw thread, but figured I would see in here.
I want to import my BMW to Hawaii, and need to know the procedure. Only gotcha is that Im a canadian.
I know how to go the other way, but not Canada to US. The car was originally US, but changed to kph only to come here.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

blindjoe posted:

Have any americans imported a Canadian car? I asked in the bmw thread, but figured I would see in here.
I want to import my BMW to Hawaii, and need to know the procedure. Only gotcha is that Im a canadian.
I know how to go the other way, but not Canada to US. The car was originally US, but changed to kph only to come here.

You should be fine as long as the BMW is also sold in the US

at least based on my experience with my friends doing it when they moved here :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Locator posted:

There have been a bunch of those little metal kits in that thread.

Ah!
Thanks.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

blindjoe posted:

I've never gone the other way myself, but my understanding is that what needs to be done varies pretty dramatically from state to state. My only advice is to contact the DMV of the state you are planning on importing the car into.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

MrChips posted:

I've never gone the other way myself, but my understanding is that what needs to be done varies pretty dramatically from state to state. My only advice is to contact the DMV of the state you are planning on importing the car into.

Seems reasonable, Ill do that.

Hopefully it will be not too bad since this has to be pretty common to Hawaii.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They put a kph only speedo in the car? Canada has dual markings... Ironically though MPH speedos are not required in the U.S. while KPH are. A relic of us once believing we'd one day join the rest of the world with the metric system.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Been debating whether or not to have my cars' auto transmissions serviced with a machine at the dealer, or do a drain and fill myself. Toyota wants $230 a piece to hook them up to a BG machine using (expensive) Toyota trans fluid, seems like a pretty good deal for getting almost every drop of the old poo poo out and replacing with new. I'm getting to the point now where I'd rather just pay someone to do this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

i smoked all my tires at the start of the month

• Locked thread