Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Stoca Zola posted:

I'd put it in the tank first so it can react with whatever comes out of the python ASAP. I reckon you've only got too much stuff if it's all fairly close to its use by date. You're going to use it sooner or later :D better to have too much than not enough.

Thank you, that's how I feel I also have API quickstart, Seachem Stability, and an API master testkit (freshwater), I figure better to be safe than sorry!

Edit: not to mention Fishmox and Fishflox API Pimafix and Melafix just incase I ever need it. Honestly I got my nipple pierced so I have been taking the Fishmox myself so I don't get an infection haha!

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Azuth0667 posted:

Its just a few white LEDs since I have algae problems if I do any more than that. My plants seem to be doing alright too. I did accidentally get rid of his bubble nest last water change and he had a fish tantrum over it. Maybe he's still miffed over that.

Just make sure not to use API Algaefix, I have read horrid reviews on it about it killing peoples fish. I used it once years ago and it didn;t hurt mine but reading the reviews it's not worth the risk.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Just make sure not to use API Algaefix, I have read horrid reviews on it about it killing peoples fish. I used it once years ago and it didn;t hurt mine but reading the reviews it's not worth the risk.

Yeah I used that once. It killed my java moss and made my previous betta very unhappy. I like the MTS because they handle pretty much any algae. They didn't like the black beard algae I had at first but, a day of not feeding them and they decided everything but, the live plants was on the menu. Unfortunately this means that there are way more MTS than I want. I was thinking of getting an assassin snail to keep their population under control.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Azuth0667 posted:

Yeah I used that once. It killed my java moss and made my previous betta very unhappy. I like the MTS because they handle pretty much any algae. They didn't like the black beard algae I had at first but, a day of not feeding them and they decided everything but, the live plants was on the menu. Unfortunately this means that there are way more MTS than I want. I was thinking of getting an assassin snail to keep their population under control.

Assassin snails are awesome. You will need to balance the number you have though or you'll end up with just Assassins.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Assassin snails are awesome. You will need to balance the number you have though or you'll end up with just Assassins.

I was thinking of just getting one and seeing how it works.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I personally can't stand snails but I want an algea eater and Otto's will over stock my tank so I am thinking of some cherry shrimp.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I personally can't stand snails but I want an algea eater and Otto's will over stock my tank so I am thinking of some cherry shrimp.

The cherries will eat pretty much everything except for hair algae.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Fortunatly I have never had a problem with hair algae ::crosses fingers::

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

mobby_6kl posted:

RCS. I've heard that they're supposed to breed like rabbits but so far their sex lives are barely better than my own. Would they get along with red crystal?

They shouldn't have any problems, no. And in my experience, RCS either breed like rabbits or spontaneously decide they're all celibate and you can't see a berried female anywhere for months. It has to do with water parameters, but I'm not sure what exactly triggers their fancy. I have had them breed under less-than-ideal conditions (just after arriving from the LFS, with too soft water causing molting trouble related deaths, pair alone introduced in a freshly cycled tank) and conversely, I have had them in an established, stable tank, looking all healthy and with no deaths for months, and not a single baby in sight :iiam:.

lovely phone photo, but I was utterly convinced this big lyretail xipho guy was a male. Not only I had thought that onle male lyretails get the long fins (which I was wrong about, apparently), but he also seemed to have a clear elongated gonopodium instead of the rounded anal fin that the other, non-lyretail female has.

Well, yesterday I went to trim the watersprite and around ten tiny xiplets came darting out :doh:. The only other xiphophorus in that tank is a confirmed male platy who impregnated the normal female and was separated from her in order to avoid a population explosion. Good job there :doh:.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
They didn't have any cherry shrimp at the petsmart - So I got 3 ghost shrimp, they are in the bag soaking in the tank now to get the temperature even, then I will slowly mix aquarium water with what's in the bag to accimilate them. I hope my betta doesn't try to eat them, but there are plenty of hinding spots for when they molt.

Edit: They seem to be doing well after acimilating them, the cory's don't really seem to like them though as they are hogging their hiding spaces, but they are new so they should get over it.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 20, 2017

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Amano/Japanese algae eater shrimp are good for algae too in my experience- at least on any surface that's not the walls of the tank.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Luneshot posted:

Amano/Japanese algae eater shrimp are good for algae too in my experience- at least on any surface that's not the walls of the tank.

Yeah. They also help with cleaning out uneaten food, so there's less nitrates around to cause algae growth in the first place. They are very thorough and are always eating. I love their reactions when given a small bit of pea - they'll grab it with their front legs and dart off somewhere to eat undisturbed :kimchi:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Ehh! I will have to grab some frozen peas out of my freezer now, but I am still letting them get settled in.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

nunsexmonkrock posted:

They didn't have any cherry shrimp at the petsmart - So I got 3 ghost shrimp, they are in the bag soaking in the tank now to get the temperature even, then I will slowly mix aquarium water with what's in the bag to accimilate them. I hope my betta doesn't try to eat them, but there are plenty of hinding spots for when they molt.

Edit: They seem to be doing well after acimilating them, the cory's don't really seem to like them though as they are hogging their hiding spaces, but they are new so they should get over it.

If you can I'd buy cherries from a vendor with good ratings on Amazon. All the cherries I've got from petsmart have been in horrible shape and my tanks end up being hospices for them :(. The ones I bought off of amazon flourished and are happy in their own little tank since my betta decided he wanted to kill anything red. The corries might also take issue with the shrimp stealing food from them. The two albino corries I had used to get furious whenever the shrimp came around their pellets.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I think the ghost shrimp are good enough, I don't really have an algae problem, and adding in cherries now might over stock it - plus I don't like ordering live animals off of Amazon - even with prime. The post office here is horrid they constantly deliver things to the wrong address - The water department too, they stopped by threatening to shut off my water while I was cleaning the aquarium ----- they mixed up the last 2 numbers of the street address and it was someone elses water they were supposed to shut off.

edit:

Azuth0667 posted:

If you can I'd buy cherries from a vendor with good ratings on Amazon. All the cherries I've got from petsmart have been in horrible shape and my tanks end up being hospices for them :(. The ones I bought off of amazon flourished and are happy in their own little tank since my betta decided he wanted to kill anything red. The corries might also take issue with the shrimp stealing food from them. The two albino corries I had used to get furious whenever the shrimp came around their pellets.
Yeah the cories are already getting ticked off - I haven't ever seen them swim around this much before.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 20, 2017

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I think ghost shrimp have a better chance living with a betta than cherry shrimp would, just because they're a bit less visible, so they're less of a tempting snack. I put about 6-8 cherry shrimp in one of my gudgeon fry grow out tanks, assuming that the gudgeons were still small enough not to be a threat to shrimp. I now can only see one shrimp and he's hiding under the sponge filter like he's afraid for his life so not sure if the rest are also hiding or if they were dinner. Weird, because the 2 shrimp I put in my adult gudgeon tank are still fine. My RCS tank is about at capacity now and the parade of berried females seems to never end so I'm still going to move shrimp out into my other tanks to avoid overpopulation of the colony. I've been a bit hesitant on maintenance because there's so many tiny shrimplets and I didn't want to accidentally squash or siphon out any of them but its to the point of ridiculousness now, there are so many shrimp in various stages of growth. I ended up scooping out a ton of duckweed and feeding it to my barbs, if there were any shrimp mixed in it's too bad (but I hope they got to cover). I did let it stand in a bucket for a bit at first, hoping shrimp would go to the bottom and I managed to rescue 5 shrimplets there, they went into my second shrimp tank. I'm probably going to have to move some cherry shrimp in with the riffle shrimp, I don't know how they'll handle the water flow but I think they would be useful as cleanup crew. Tonight I noticed I can see eyes in the riffle shrimp's eggs! I suspect they finally decided to breed because I fed them some of the extra microworms that I'd grown, my smallest gudgeon fry are starting to refuse microworms and only eat bigger food (greedy buggers). I did some reading and it looks like some people feed their riffle shrimp on baby brine shrimp, I'm glad they seem to like microworms because that's much easier to culture.

I almost forgot, yesterday my order of Fishbendazole (fenbendazole) arrived; a jar of premeasured 250mg sachets. Made it very easy to dose, I mixed it with 250ml of water and then every millilitre of that mixture was 1 mg of medication. I added probably 50mg at most to a 60 litre tank, mostly I squirted the medication directly on the hydra and in the places they were amassing using a pipette. They instantly started balling up, by the end of the treatment some of them were still holding the glass but hanging limply. I left it overnight and did a big vacuum/water change today. Not a single hydra to be seen on the glass and so many limp/balled up hydra came out of the gravel. I thought I'd killed one of the shrimp, tried to net her out but she shot off so I think she'll be okay, snails were fine; the fish seemed a bit subdued but improved after the water change. I've still got most of the mixture left, it's at about half strength as far as I can tell for the use described on the jar (which is soaking food for consumption by fish in order to deworm them) so I've put it in the fridge, hopefully I'll be able to use it to worm the loaches when they get here. Anyway hopefully that is the end of that hydra overgrowth. At the low flow end of the tank every surface was smothered in them. I still haven't worked out the best way to separate small grindal worms from large ones so they had been feasting on the smaller worms that the gudgeons ignored. With the hydras gone I'm hoping some fry will survive now; I've had around 3 broods that vanished. The gudgeon's feeding bowl was lined with hydras so I'm not sure they could even eat out of it without getting stung so it wouldn't surprise me if they'd decided eating their own eggs was easier, but even if any had hatched the hydra would have got them in no time. Also with the hydras gone and 2 test shrimp still alive, I think that tank is a valid destination for excess cherry shrimp, I really didn't want to move some over and have them stung and traumatised/be eaten by hydra.

Edit: LOL @ ticked off cories - I always thought when they got zoomy it meant they were happy!

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 20, 2017

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Stoca Zola posted:

I think ghost shrimp have a better chance living with a betta than cherry shrimp would, just because they're a bit less visible, so they're less of a tempting snack. I put about 6-8 cherry shrimp in one of my gudgeon fry grow out tanks, assuming that the gudgeons were still small enough not to be a threat to shrimp. I now can only see one shrimp and he's hiding under the sponge filter like he's afraid for his life so not sure if the rest are also hiding or if they were dinner. Weird, because the 2 shrimp I put in my adult gudgeon tank are still fine. My RCS tank is about at capacity now and the parade of berried females seems to never end so I'm still going to move shrimp out into my other tanks to avoid overpopulation of the colony. I've been a bit hesitant on maintenance because there's so many tiny shrimplets and I didn't want to accidentally squash or siphon out any of them but its to the point of ridiculousness now, there are so many shrimp in various stages of growth. I ended up scooping out a ton of duckweed and feeding it to my barbs, if there were any shrimp mixed in it's too bad (but I hope they got to cover). I did let it stand in a bucket for a bit at first, hoping shrimp would go to the bottom and I managed to rescue 5 shrimplets there, they went into my second shrimp tank. I'm probably going to have to move some cherry shrimp in with the riffle shrimp, I don't know how they'll handle the water flow but I think they would be useful as cleanup crew. Tonight I noticed I can see eyes in the riffle shrimp's eggs! I suspect they finally decided to breed because I fed them some of the extra microworms that I'd grown, my smallest gudgeon fry are starting to refuse microworms and only eat bigger food (greedy buggers). I did some reading and it looks like some people feed their riffle shrimp on baby brine shrimp, I'm glad they seem to like microworms because that's much easier to culture.

I almost forgot, yesterday my order of Fishbendazole (fenbendazole) arrived; a jar of premeasured 250mg sachets. Made it very easy to dose, I mixed it with 250ml of water and then every millilitre of that mixture was 1 mg of medication. I added probably 50mg at most to a 60 litre tank, mostly I squirted the medication directly on the hydra and in the places they were amassing using a pipette. They instantly started balling up, by the end of the treatment some of them were still holding the glass but hanging limply. I left it overnight and did a big vacuum/water change today. Not a single hydra to be seen on the glass and so many limp/balled up hydra came out of the gravel. I thought I'd killed one of the shrimp, tried to net her out but she shot off so I think she'll be okay, snails were fine; the fish seemed a bit subdued but improved after the water change. I've still got most of the mixture left, it's at about half strength as far as I can tell for the use described on the jar (which is soaking food for consumption by fish in order to deworm them) so I've put it in the fridge, hopefully I'll be able to use it to worm the loaches when they get here. Anyway hopefully that is the end of that hydra overgrowth. At the low flow end of the tank every surface was smothered in them. I still haven't worked out the best way to separate small grindal worms from large ones so they had been feasting on the smaller worms that the gudgeons ignored. With the hydras gone I'm hoping some fry will survive now; I've had around 3 broods that vanished. The gudgeon's feeding bowl was lined with hydras so I'm not sure they could even eat out of it without getting stung so it wouldn't surprise me if they'd decided eating their own eggs was easier, but even if any had hatched the hydra would have got them in no time. Also with the hydras gone and 2 test shrimp still alive, I think that tank is a valid destination for excess cherry shrimp, I really didn't want to move some over and have them stung and traumatised/be eaten by hydra.

Edit: LOL @ ticked off cories - I always thought when they got zoomy it meant they were happy!

Nope these ones are pretty lazy at least as far as green cories go. But they still are bolting around like crazy now, my frozen peas looked freezer burnt so I walked to the grocery store and got more - never let me near a credit card, I also got a box of hair dye while I was there.

At first the Betta was attacking the bag they were in - but I think he was just going after the bag and not the shrimp - he stopped the second I removed the bag haha!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Be careful my betta was sneaky and waited until no one was around before he went murder hobo on the cherries.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Prime is the must have fish chem brand right? Also, are the root tab plant food things important to have when adding plants?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Crosspost from the sw thread, but it involves a fw tank too

Took longer to get finished than originally planned, but the stand for my 120 is painted and in the house now. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get the 30ish african cichlids out of that tank and get it moved downstairs. My rock is cycled and ready to go, so things should start moving fairly quick at this point.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

Prime is the must have fish chem brand right? Also, are the root tab plant food things important to have when adding plants?

It's what I like to use and have had good luck with. It doesn't bother my fish or my plants and you don't have to use much either.

Enos Cabell posted:

Crosspost from the sw thread, but it involves a fw tank too

Took longer to get finished than originally planned, but the stand for my 120 is painted and in the house now. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get the 30ish african cichlids out of that tank and get it moved downstairs. My rock is cycled and ready to go, so things should start moving fairly quick at this point.

This is awesome, how long did it take to do that?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

This is awesome, how long did it take to do that?

Thanks, only took a few hours to cut lumber and screw it all together. Painting and sanding ended up taking almost a month though, because of crap weather the weekend I originally planned to do it.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

RandomPauI posted:

I think it depends on what you want it for. Both Seachem Prime and API Stresscoat+ have their own pluses and minuses both remove chlorine and cloramine., I persoanlly use both because stresscoat+ is better at detoxifying heavy metals but prime works for Ammonia nitrite and nitrate, if you can measure accuratly Seachem Safe is good, it's the powdered version of Prime. It still reaks and stinks like prime too!

On my side - I think one of my ghost shrimp is pregnant, it looks like she has a bunch of black eggs in her- it could also be poop - I haven't had ghost shrimp in a while. I told my grand mother that I got shrimp when I called her to check in on her - she thought I got shrimp for eating, I told her No! - these are pets haha!

Cories still seem ticked off at the shrimp too haha.

Edit: Yup Betta Lugosi just stared at 1 of the ghost shrimp and then just turned around and left I hope it stays that way.

Edit again: They also seem to love my marimo moss balls, all 3 are hanging out on top of one, I never had any luck with any plants except for these

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 21, 2017

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

RandomPauI posted:

I've got Prime but I also use Techden branded Superchlor, I've also come across people who swear by Safe since I think that's a dry powder and it works out cheaper (maybe?).

As for root tabs it depends on the plants and your substrate. Some plants are absolutely root feeders such as swords, crypts and vallisneria, I think these are mostly rosette plants, the leaves grow around a central core that the roots come from. Others are leaf feeders and prefer liquid ferts or can get by on fish waste, these are frequently stem plants. If you have a plant substrate (ADA aqua soil, eco complete, or self dirted tank) you probably don't need root tabs for most plants although the heaviest feeders (swords I think) will probably appreciate it. Some plants don't need any particular soil nutrients at all, eg mosses, Java ferns, bolbitis ferns, susswatertang, riccia, and any floating plants. Root tabs work better in sandy soil where they can get nice and buried and in larger or more shallow gravel, depending on the type of root tab, can make a big mess. I have some clay based tabs which cloud up the water something fierce if you don't get them buried quickly (or if the fish dig them up and try to eat them), and I have some API root tabs which I think might dissolve into the water column if not sufficiently buried. Root tabs are fish safe as far as I know but ideally you don't want to accidentally dissolve a whole lot of nutrient into the water column when it's intended to be slowly released at root level.

The loaches arrived! They're pretty small, 1.5 to 2 inches, so I think I will be able to quarantine the rasboras with them once they get here. The water in their bag had only 85ppm TDS which seemed terribly low. The shrimp arrived too, individually bagged, and their water was over 300ppm so I just "plop and dropped" them in with the other riffle shrimp. I had to do a quick water change while I was floating the loaches bag to get the quarantine tank down under 200ppm and I acclimated them over about 20 mins as I think the difference in TDS was too great to plop and drop. Of the six loaches, 4 look pretty good and 2 are a bit skinny, shy and lethargic. Hopefully they will fatten up and get healthy on live worms. They're varying between hiding under things, lying on the gravel trying to make their camouflage work, investigating the tank, and doing crazy high speed zoomies. These guys have to be the fastest fish I've seen, they absolutely vanish and leave a cloud of dust. Some of my guppies have been known to put on huge bursts of speed, especially when trying to jump, but these loaches go from zero to 100mph in an instant. They've got ugly little faces but overall I think they're pretty cute and I'm looking forward to getting to know them :D

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

nunsexmonkrock posted:

On my side - I think one of my ghost shrimp is pregnant, it looks like she has a bunch of black eggs in her- it could also be poop - I haven't had ghost shrimp in a while. I told my grand mother that I got shrimp when I called her to check in on her - she thought I got shrimp for eating, I told her No! - these are pets haha!

(...)

Edit again: They also seem to love my marimo moss balls, all 3 are hanging out on top of one, I never had any luck with any plants except for these

That's probably because those moss balls tend to catch a lot of lost bits of food and other detritus that the shrimps love to search for. No wonder they like it - free all-you-can-eat buffet! :kimchi:. EDIT: Poop should be visible as a black thread where the "spine" of the shrimp would be - those are the intestines. Eggs would be stored under the belly, glued into a kind of chitinous "pockets", so the mom can flap them around and keep them clean from fungus and other diseases. If she's berried, you should be able to see her waving the eggs around to aerate them.

My first (amano) shrimp came with a preowned tank. I got the thing full, fishes and plants and all, from a friend who was moving house. I had only owned some of those coldwater fish in wayyy too small tanks as a child, and we kind of gave up when we lost all of them after a water change.* Said friend was rather amused when I IM'ed him with a message that basically read "Hey, there's a shrimp in there. Is it part of the aquarium or what?" I had no idea you could keep shrimps as pets.

*Poor things - we didn't even have a filter system, just that under-the-gravel white plates that did... something not very efficient at all. Come to think of it, filters were either rare or nonexistant around here by then (mid 90's) - lots of people who see the tanks for the first time ask "but how do you do all the cleaning?!" and go "ooh" when you point out that no, you don't have to manually throw away 100 litres of water, upset the plants and rehouse the fish in your bathtub anymore, there's a pump who does it.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Apr 21, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I have no idea how people kept aquariums decades ago either, at least here. I certainly was under the understanding that fresh water + fresh filters = good until getting into this more seriously a few years ago. The nitrogen cycle isn't rocket science but I'm pretty sure it's still not common knowledge.

My RCS seem to be doing fine with weekly 30% changes of tap water except for the not breeding part. Well one might be berried. Also Elodea does indeed grow quickly! I didn't notice it much over the week but now they have a ton of new growths along the old stem/trunk whatever. However, I now noticed something I didn't see before - who the hell are these guys? Are they copepods/cyclops? Seems like it might be, but my eye/camera aren't good enough:

(relax, that's just tip of finger for scale)

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

The nitrogen cycle isn't rocket science but I'm pretty sure it's still not common knowledge.

It seems to be for some people, that's why my husband is not allowed anywhere near my aquarium, heck years ago when I first started with the hobby and we worked different shifts for the same company I asked him to do 1 simple thing for me, turn on the aquarium light when he gets home. Never did it once so I got a plug in timer. He sure did like watching them eat though and would dump a crap ton of food into the aquarium without asking me. Took me a while to figure out why my ammonia kept spiking and lost several neon tetras and danios back then. That's just the beginning haha.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I have no idea how people kept aquariums decades ago either, at least here. I certainly was under the understanding that fresh water + fresh filters = good until getting into this more seriously a few years ago. The nitrogen cycle isn't rocket science but I'm pretty sure it's still not common knowledge.

My RCS seem to be doing fine with weekly 30% changes of tap water except for the not breeding part. Well one might be berried. Also Elodea does indeed grow quickly! I didn't notice it much over the week but now they have a ton of new growths along the old stem/trunk whatever. However, I now noticed something I didn't see before - who the hell are these guys? Are they copepods/cyclops? Seems like it might be, but my eye/camera aren't good enough:

(relax, that's just tip of finger for scale)

That's most likely a female water flea, totally harmless copepods. There were a bunch in my tank when I first started cycling it but they disappeared pretty much overnight when I introduced my Endlers because they are delicious.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

That's a mama cyclops (copepod) carrying her two packets of eggs. The males are harder to spot because they don't have big huge eggs giving their position away, and imagine how small the babies are when they hatch! The larvae go through a number of stages and metamorphose from being little weird shield shaped guys, good food for fry and small micropredatory fish. They're pretty harmless to have in a tank, really only a nuisance in shrimp tanks where the gentle filtering and lack of predators allows their numbers to grow and even then they aren't really harmful, just annoying if you don't want to see them zooming around in your tank.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
My green cories seem much less upset today, I keep an old filter pad at the bottom of the aquarium so they have a soft spot, they have gravitated towards that now and love sleeping with each other until it's feeding time, it looks like one of the ghost shrimp is actually pregnant I can see the eggs in her- hopefully she will feel comfortable soon to lay them, they are still kinda new to the tank and the betta doesn't really bother them. Although they didn't like it when I removed the moss balls to squeeze them and clean them a couple are still floating. I think they will get over it haha.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I came across a pic on facebook today of a ghost shrimp carrying eggs which reminded me of your shrimp, NSMR.

Here's where the eggs are when they are inside the shrimp, the ovaries are kind of saddle shaped like so:

You can see the digestive tract pretty well on that pic too, and I believe the dark patch behind the shrimp's eyes are her gills. She's carrying eggs but will be ready by her next moult to lay some more.

And here's the pic I saw showing what they look like when carrying eggs(also known as berried):

The eggs aren't always the same colour, I think it varies between species and depends on their diet up to a point. My cherry shrimp always seem to have white/yellow/orange eggs, my paratya shrimp have eggs ranging from white to green to brown to black. My riffle shrimp's eggs are dark green which is about the same as the spirulina powder from the fry food I feed them.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 22, 2017

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Thanks! Inside of her the eggs look black, in the same spot where they are pictured where you showed. My camera sucks and they are really hard to find to begin with, for the longest time I thought one of my cories passed because I would only see 2 at a time but nope all are there, seems to be the same with the ghost shrimp haha!

I think I might fast them today a little earlier than my normal Sunday fasting since I have been putting in more food than usual until I learn where the really prefer to feed - water conditions seems fine though I might dose some Ammo lock, prime or safe later tonight just to make sure.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 22, 2017

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I tend to overfeed a bit when I get new fish, but I'm trying to be a bit more careful with the new loaches since there's only six of them and they're fairly little. I'm not sure that I've really seen them eat anything yet at all. I've been adding small amounts of different types of food to see what they're interested in but they don't seem to react at all and just keep whizzing around and snuffling in the gravel and chasing each other and so on. Like excited puppies, but without any napping. The best success I've had was live worms, I saw one loach take a worm out of the water column and he seemed to enjoy it, but then made no attempt to seek out any more of the worms that were around. So maybe he ate it by accident?

I've tried o-nip which all my other fish adore and they ignore it, granulated food which they didn't really react to, some soft veggie gel which they ignored, dried black worms which maybe they ate but I'm not sure. They're ridiculously active, extremely agile, and maybe they're constantly hoovering without slowing down, I just can't tell. A couple of them come to the side of the tank when they see me and swim back and forth and they all seem really active and healthy. I just don't feel like I've got the hang of feeding them yet. There are some shrimp pellets I haven't tried yet that my cories don't like, they stink so maybe they'll work?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Yeah I've tried Tetramin flakes (not the greatest but I have never seen a fish turn them down.) Omega One Sinking Pellets, Freezedried Bloodworms and also frozen peas, havn't seem them eat a thing yet but the betta eats it all so that's why I think I should fast a day early. But I think ghost shrimp are mostly nocturnal correct? they might have been eating leftovers I missed while I was sleeping, if not I'm sure the cories ate up the spare stuff.

I would like to try the gel cubes but I think they need to be refrigerated or frozen, and that is a giant no no with my spouse.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 22, 2017

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've tried Repashy super green which smells mega gross but all my veggie eating fish, snails and shrimp love it, and currently I'm trying Algae Gel which has more protein content, also smells gross but in a different way. They will both set at room temp but really you have to make a few days worth to get the quantities right and to make it worthwhile. And yeah once you make it and set it, you can refrigerate or freeze it. It keeps pretty well in a sealed plastic tub or even a ziplock sandwich bag. I'd love to try the "bottom scratcher" one to see if the corys would like it (they don't like the veggie flavour at all) but customs won't allow it here for some reason.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Saphire's fins are better which must mean he's adjusted to the tank changes. Feeding Bullet by dropping pellets on her is probably resulting in some of the ammonia problems. I can't use frozen foods, it's a shared freezer.

Two days back I changed 40% of the water and added the contents of an API monthly kit. I forgot to test the water quality. By today the ammonia reached somewhere between 0.25 and 0.5 ppm. There still aren't nitrates. So today I changed another 40% of the water. This new water had the chemicals added days ahead of time, it didn't test positive for ammonia.

The plants in the tank are doing really well. Yesterday I added some more, swapping out the "rock" tunnel with a smaller plant covered tunnel. One with java plants tied to it. I got it at a discount because the leaves were picked pretty badly by fish. I'd like to have the silk plants mostly replaced by real plants soon.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
It's a great feeling once everything gets properly cycled. My shrimp tank required changes several times per week, but now with all the bacteria and low bioload, everything is as close to 0 as seems possible so no change this week. Feels nice, man.

What's the problem with the shared freezer? Unless you're going to have Gordon Ramsay inspect it I doubt there's any serious issue with storing fish food.

Stoca Zola posted:

That's a mama cyclops (copepod) carrying her two packets of eggs. The males are harder to spot because they don't have big huge eggs giving their position away, and imagine how small the babies are when they hatch! The larvae go through a number of stages and metamorphose from being little weird shield shaped guys, good food for fry and small micropredatory fish. They're pretty harmless to have in a tank, really only a nuisance in shrimp tanks where the gentle filtering and lack of predators allows their numbers to grow and even then they aren't really harmful, just annoying if you don't want to see them zooming around in your tank.
Thanks, SZ and others! They're basically impossible to see unless you're looking for them so positively identifying them was really difficult and I'm glad I wont' have to murder them somehow. Though maybe I'll get a few CPDs if the shrimp population takes off. Speaking of which,

Stoca Zola posted:

I came across a pic on facebook today of a ghost shrimp carrying eggs which reminded me of your shrimp, NSMR.

Here's where the eggs are when they are inside the shrimp, the ovaries are kind of saddle shaped like so:

One of the RCS seems to be berried finally, and looks just like that (just redder)! Most other females seem to have visible saddles too. How long does it usually take them to hatch and get to a somewhat reasonable size? I was planning on redoing some of the landscaping, with the new substrate arriving tomorrow or Tuesday, so now I'm not sure if it'd be better to do before or after.

Stoca Zola posted:

I tend to overfeed a bit when I get new fish, but I'm trying to be a bit more careful with the new loaches since there's only six of them and they're fairly little. I'm not sure that I've really seen them eat anything yet at all. I've been adding small amounts of different types of food to see what they're interested in but they don't seem to react at all and just keep whizzing around and snuffling in the gravel and chasing each other and so on. Like excited puppies, but without any napping. The best success I've had was live worms, I saw one loach take a worm out of the water column and he seemed to enjoy it, but then made no attempt to seek out any more of the worms that were around. So maybe he ate it by accident?

I've tried o-nip which all my other fish adore and they ignore it, granulated food which they didn't really react to, some soft veggie gel which they ignored, dried black worms which maybe they ate but I'm not sure. They're ridiculously active, extremely agile, and maybe they're constantly hoovering without slowing down, I just can't tell. A couple of them come to the side of the tank when they see me and swim back and forth and they all seem really active and healthy. I just don't feel like I've got the hang of feeding them yet. There are some shrimp pellets I haven't tried yet that my cories don't like, they stink so maybe they'll work?
I'm probably overfeeding a bit too when I can't see some of the fish eat anything, and my loaches are weird too. I just dropped one of the smaller snails (since they're not fully grown either) from the shrimp tank and they were not too impressed. In fact, a blue acara swooped in and swallowed it whole before they did anything with it. Oh well, they do seem to like various larvae/worms at least, if they're small enough.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 23, 2017

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Going to try my hand at an outdoor container garden this summer. Picked up a 20g wooden tub with a hard plastic liner, and probably going to do like a papyrus plant and some water lillies. Fish wise I think I'm going to try paradise fish and a single betta, and then bring them in to a 20g tank over winter.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RandomPauI posted:

Saphire's fins are better which must mean he's adjusted to the tank changes. Feeding Bullet by dropping pellets on her is probably resulting in some of the ammonia problems. I can't use frozen foods, it's a shared freezer.

If you are feeling adventurous you could try keeping a live blackworm culture. Finding them can be challenging, but keeping them alive and breeding is supposed to be pretty easy. (I've ordered some to try it myself later this week.)

http://aquariumtidings.com/how-to-culture-blackworms-black-worms/
http://www.selectaquatics.com/ft_13%20Blackworm%20Culturing.htm

The key thing is that they can survive in water, so if your frog is slow to get to them, they can live in the tank indefinitely without rotting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm fine with frozen insects but other people here aren't. To the point of hysterics. I'd rather avoid the drama.