Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

jesus tinsley just say the n-word if you really want to that bad

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Starshark posted:

Hell, I'm the anarchist communist.

That's an actual political philosophy.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

SomeMathGuy posted:

That's an actual political philosophy.

Saying whatever poo poo falls out of your mouth without putting any thought into it?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Paging a Dr Seuss expert to the Trivia thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812609&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

We are researching pictures this week and there is an unsolved image that may be Seuss. It'll take a few minutes to join the IRC and get authed and into the images.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Regalingualius posted:

Saying whatever poo poo falls out of your mouth without putting any thought into it?

Anarchist communism has a theoretical background as old as Marxism does. It is, in fact, the most common philosophy held by anarchists (meaning actual anarchists, not right libertarians), and advocates for the abolition of the traditional state power structure and popular redistribution of the means of production. You perceive it as contradictory because you're conflating communism with the state capitalism practiced in so-called communist states (which is the reason why they wouldn't necessarily use the Soviet style hammer and sickle motif, although it's been somewhat appropriated).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I mean, I was originally just intending that as a potshot at Branco, but thank you for the explanation, sincerely. :)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

No problem. :anarchists:

And yeah, that Branco is trash. "This is bad opposition to the government! What kind of vicious monster uses a stick and not an AR-15? :qq:"

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Branco is a surgeon and his pen is his scalpel, an instrument he wields with laser-like precision in cutting through the philosophical morass of liberal orthodoxy.

*Branco, with his laser-like precision scalpel, looks over his newest comic certain to cut through the political morass*

"What...HOW can I indicate, without obscuring the true meaning, that this character is 'anti-free speech'. I need a symbol that would convey this, some sort of...signal to those in the know. Some subtle and masterful way to get my message across..."

*After agonizing over this decision for hours deep into the night Branco's head snaps up! And idea occurs! HE THEN EATS A GIANT SACK OF poo poo BECAUSE HE'S A poo poo EATING MORON WHO WROTE HIS OWN BLURB IN THE THIRD PERSON*

"Yes." he grins, "Perfect."

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

My favourite part is the fact that he's labeled it 'Illegal Insurrection' while working on legalinsurrection.com.

It's legal when the Good Guy Conservatives do it! Democrats performing an insurrection are totally illegal thugs though.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Of all the cartoonists that get posted regularly in this thread, Branco is the one that really makes me want to punch him in the face. Not even the McCoys get me so riled up.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

The Cubelodyte posted:

Of all the cartoonists that get posted regularly in this thread, Branco is the one that really makes me want to punch him in the face. Not even the McCoys get me so riled up.

So much for the tolerant left

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

What really gets my goat is that, predictably, he completely ignores how the evil masked anarchists were fighting actual factual women-beating nazis who were bused in specifically to intimidate and disrupt the protest, and the broader implications of the fact that nazis are hanging out with Trump supporters and Pepe flag wavers. No, they're just ANTI CONSTITUTION, there's nothing more complex and genuinely frightening going on. Defund Berkeley because I'm a big stupid idiot!

That dog is too fat. :(

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

That dog is too fat. :(
Don't kinkshame.

It's amazing to me that there are people who not only agree with Branco's terrible views but also think he's a good artist.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Faustian Bargain posted:

Don't kinkshame.

It's amazing to me that there are people who not only agree with Branco's terrible views but also think he's a good artist.

I have a wingnutty acquaintance who loves Branco and thinks that any criticism of him means that people just don't understand metaphor and political cartooning as a concept.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Kirschen posted:

The statements in the cartoon's speech balloons were all actually said by Mad Dog (except GRRRR and WOOOF). We hope that during his visit to the Jewish state he will express his regrets for his previous biased and ignorant assessments.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1460740-canadian-envoy-fires-back-at-trump-over-dairy-says-criticism-not-based-on-facts

A Horsey cartoon.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

It should be easier for me to tell how Kirschen feels about someone than this.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sandpuppy posted:

A Horsey cartoon.

David Horsey spends hours lovingly perfecting his caricatures of young attractive people while tut-tutting about how bad it is that they are young and attractive

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

loquacius posted:

David Horsey spends hours lovingly perfecting his caricatures of young attractive people while tut-tutting about how bad it is that they are young and attractive

I'm surprised he only drew one titty

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Wait is that supposed to be a negative portrayal of Coachella?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Crazycryodude posted:

Didn't seem like it to me

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

What a beaver.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sandpuppy posted:

A Horsey cartoon.

Cut up hands from pull tabs? You're supposed to be using your bottle opener's flat spot for that.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Crazycryodude posted:

Spun Dog posted:

Didn't seem like it to me

It's another Assay moment. There are buzzwords that will offend dying boomers (hairless male chests, "queer-eye masculinity", a dude in a dress, women wearing whatever they want :freep:), but to sane, well adjusted humans, it's just "Yeah, attractive people having a :krad: party. What's your point?".

I was going to include some piping hot take about how the generation who got criticized for wearing long hair and bell-bottoms is now getting mad about gauzy skirts and waxed chests, but they were probably the assholes screaming "Better dead than red!" during Vietnam protests and cheering for the cops during the 1968 DNC.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

It's another Assay moment. There are buzzwords that will offend dying boomers (hairless male chests, "queer-eye masculinity", a dude in a dress, women wearing whatever they want :freep:), but to sane, well adjusted humans, it's just "Yeah, attractive people having a :krad: party. What's your point?".

I was going to include some piping hot take about how the generation who got criticized for wearing long hair and bell-bottoms is now getting mad about gauzy skirts and waxed chests, but they were probably the assholes screaming "Better dead than red!" during Vietnam protests and cheering for the cops during the 1968 DNC.
You're reading way too much into it.

One of Horsey's inspirations is Playboy cartoonists. He's not dogwhistling about millenials, but just people watching at some event.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

When you start to interpret "women at Coachella wears three variants of these garments" as "women wearing whatever they want :freep:)" you need to take a breather from reading this thread.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I honestly read that Horsey as being pretty positive about the whole thing, especially the note about "polite partiers." That just makes it all sound so fuckin' wholesome.

Horsey's always struck me as someone who's very okay with young people being young people, making young people mistakes and believing young people ideals. We're just all jaded old shits who read that and start immediately looking for double meanings.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Horsey likes scantily attired women, this isn't hard. I'm surprised he was able to avoid drawing one of them with big ol' honkers.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The phrase that specifically set off my old-people-judgment-dar was "Victoria's Secret feminism" but I guess the rest of it was neutral enough :shrug:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah it seems like just a neutral-positive people watching type thing, but I'm so used to olds complaining about the fun bits of life that my dogwhistle sense was turned up to 11.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I see it in the same light as Horsey's Oscar cartoons -- a chance for him to draw some attractive people and engage in a little lightweight snarking.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Grandpa, who let you out of the home?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
latuff: you gotta give me the nails

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

loquacius posted:

The phrase that specifically set off my old-people-judgment-dar was "Victoria's Secret feminism" but I guess the rest of it was neutral enough :shrug:
He's still an old guy who isn't entirely in touch. Like I laughed at "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy masculinity" because I imagine most 20-year-olds haven't even heard of that show.

D.N. Nation posted:

Horsey likes scantily attired women, this isn't hard. I'm surprised he was able to avoid drawing one of them with big ol' honkers.
I was honestly very happy that he wasn't depicting women a third his age as busty bombshells. Horsey may love titties, but at least he isn't a creeper lusting after people at Coachella.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

It seemed to me Horsey was taking swipes at the superficiality of a lot of the event-goers. I don't think he was being particularly critical of the event or of Millennials, though.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

For whatever reason, I was curious about obituary cartoons for older famous figures. I didn't find what I wanted, but I did find this

Chicken Colonel in particular has two disturbing possibilities.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

For whatever reason, I was curious about obituary cartoons for older famous figures. I didn't find what I wanted, but I did find this

Chicken Colonel in particular has two disturbing possibilities.

I read this issue of Sonic The Hedgehog when I was a kid

e:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

:confused:

Is that woman loving jesus? What's going on here.

• Locked thread