Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is it Dianne Abbott car crash or Emily Thornberry car crash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

MikeCrotch posted:

Are we talking actual car crash or "person I don't like is being interviewed" car crash interview here
'Car crash interview' in the traditional sense of the term. Where the person being interviewed gets royally hosed and driven completely off any kind of message they were supposed to have.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Weasling Weasel posted:

I read today that Theresa May might consider including abandoning the triple lock for state pensions in the manifesto, yet Labour want to commit to it until 2025. Pretty bad sign if the Tories are so confident of victory they are willing to spite their core demographic without actually worrying of any repurcussions. (Though I guess with inflation hell around the corner, dropping the minimum 2.5% increase won't actually have any real affect on pension income)

Also, why is McDonnell trying to keep it for? Considering the uneven growth to pensioner wealth compared to working people throughout the last decade, it hardly seems a progressive economic move to keep the state pension locked in above inflation.

Pensioners are one of the bigger voting blocs and guaranteeing a decent rise in income may cause them to switch to Labour.

The trick for McDonnell will be to ensure that working wages also increase

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That's a Thornberry.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Namtab posted:

Pensioners are one of the bigger voting blocs

everything_wrong_with_the_uk.txt

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

Are we talking actual car crash or "person I don't like is being interviewed" car crash interview here

Dawn Butler is pretty awful at interviews, just gets really flustered and fails to manage the questions. I'm not sure why Labour's Media team don't spend more time with their MP's they send on Today and PM etc.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Also I guess that just because the state pension income % is rising higher than wages doesn't mean that someone on a state pension alone is comfortable.

E: a more Labour policy would be to give a good state pension while means testing other pension benefits I think.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/855096228308234240

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
She got asked about JC's 'rigged system' stuff and tried to deflect by saying what was really needed was discussion of policies. Then it turned out, guess what, there were no specific policies she could talk about.
It was so painful.
We are so, so hosed.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

This is so loving terrible.

A photo of Corbyn looking constipated next to the words 'Tory victory'.

They're clueless.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
gently caress is this

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

This is so loving apposite.

An avatar of Pissflaps next to the words 'clueless'.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

El Grillo posted:

She got asked about JC's 'rigged system' stuff and tried to deflect by saying what was really needed was discussion of policies. Then it turned out, guess what, there were no specific policies she could talk about.
It was so painful.
We are so, so hosed.
Yeah if only they had one good clear policy everyone could agree with rather than some bullshit ten pledge thing that is asking to be picked apart and then this laughable Rigged System bollocks someone at labour HQ should lose their job for.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Pissflaps posted:

A photo of Corbyn looking constipated next to the words 'Tory victory'.

They're clueless.

reaching a bit here

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pochoclo posted:

everything_wrong_with_the_uk.txt

I mean, this is all countries ever, pretty much. Especially now the Baby Boomers are getting up there. The old always vote more.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

eleven extra elephants posted:

reaching a bit here

It's really not. It's utter dogshit and terrible messaging.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

jBrereton posted:

Yeah if only they had one good clear policy everyone could agree with rather than some bullshit ten pledge thing that is asking to be picked apart and then this laughable Rigged System bollocks someone at labour HQ should lose their job for.
Seriously. All I wanted when I voted for Corbyn was someone who was actually going to loving stand up to the bullshit 'labour spending broke the economy lol' shtick from the Conservatives. Which we haven't got. We have a gigantic loving mess.

This guy massively berates the host on Sky for letting off IDS lightly in the previous segment about immigration, then comes out with a clear stance on immigration, and then brings up the Tory deficit failure. This is like politics 101 what you do in an interview, what the Conservatives have done for 7 years whenever Labour is brought up during an interview 'yes but they crashed the economy'. It works. How loving hard is it for their media team to tell all the shadow cabinet to just pivot as much as possible to Conservative broken deficit promises.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Utter bollocks.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
a picture of corbyn next to the words 'mike ashley'? looks like a guy with a hosed up face who supports Newcastle to me. #notmyleader

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

That's a Thornberry.

Seriously how the hell did these poo poo speakers become MP's. It seems there is only 1 MP on the traditional left in Labour that can speak, Clive Lewis, and he is distancing himself as much as possible from Corbyn ever since the BREXIT vote. This whole election is going to be a car crash and the Tories could well end up with over 50% of the vote.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

http://evolvepolitics.com/denied-donations-and-dubious-deals-in-unite-leadership-election/

An article from march from what's probably not a very reputable website accusing Coyne of foul play

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Sounds like Coyne got more votes.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

ukle posted:

Seriously how the hell did these poo poo speakers become MP's. It seems there is only 1 MP on the traditional left in Labour that can speak, Clive Lewis, and he is distancing himself as much as possible from Corbyn ever since the BREXIT vote. This whole election is going to be a car crash and the Tories could well end up with over 50% of the vote.
A few decades of 'government is poo poo, private sector FTW' messaging from on high. Disparagement of public sector's ability to achieve anything and promotion of the Captains of Industry, 'corporations are where the serious people actually get poo poo done'. And a cultural explosion of the promotion of naked individualism over any kind of sense of collective achievement or community.
The civil service has a major and growing talent deficit as well: https://www.theguardian.com/public-leaders-network/2016/apr/12/whitehall-staff-city-civil-service-skills

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
That would be terrible, he's a scab.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

A photo of a man running below the name "pissflaps"

A man running....from the truth

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TheRat posted:

Out of curiosity, do you have a source for the rumours?

As I said in the first post I made on the topic, it's just from searching Twitter. But the past month there have been a lot of people going "how the gently caress did you get my email address Coyne, I'm not even in your union?", while some...the diplomatic term would be extremely partisan blogs (like The Canary but less well known by the looks of things) are suggesting that Tom Watson or someone else in Labour is linked, but that seems like a pretty big link with only the most circumstantial evidence.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2017/04/20/the-choice-in-election-2017-brexit-or-brexit

A good article which points out that May can't claim a mandate from this election when the two biggest parties both support a hard Brexit.

You can have anything you want as long as it's crashing out of the EU with virtually nothing to replace it with

quote:

For a moment this morning it looked like Labour might do something interesting. Jeremy Corbyn was asked about holding a second vote on whatever Theresa May's final Brexit deal was and refused to answer. John McDonnell was asked several times and also refused to answer. The Labour leader even offered some passably coherent comments on the dangers of a WTO fallback option and the intricacies of trade networks.

It seemed for a second that the shock of the general election might have forced Labour to get its act together on the issue. Maybe it would even adopt a policy on it. But within hours these hopes had been put to bed and normal service was resumed. "A second referendum is not our policy and it won’t be in our manifesto,” Labour's spokesperson said.

So we're back where we were with Corbyn's Brexit policy: He "accepts" the vote, he wants no second referendum, his demand for the talks is limited to tariffs only - a lower benchmark than May has set for herself - and he opposes membership of the single market. Labour is a pro-Brexit party. You might think they would deliver a softer Brexit, but that is an article of faith or intuition. It is not a matter of policy.

This is worth bearing in mind now that Brexit supporters in the press are increasingly saying that May will have a mandate for hard Brexit after the election. These are the same people, don't forget, who just days ago were saying she already had a mandate for hard Brexit by virtue of the referendum result. They are also the people who said she didn't need a mandate for hard Brexit in the form of a second referendum.

The argument is quite mad. It tacitly accepts that a mandate is needed but insists it can only be expressed through an election against another pro-Brexit party, not by a referendum in which the specific question is on the ballot paper.

You could say that Remainers have other parties to vote for. It's technically true, but not meaningfully so. The SNP only contest seats in Scotland. The Lib Dems have nine MPs and no hope of forming a government or even a coalition. The Greens have one.

For May to have a mandate for hard Brexit through an election, there must be another vehicle by which voters could stop her from pursuing it. That vehicle does not exist. Therefore there is no mandate.

The choice between Labour and the Tories in this election is a choice between Brexit or Brexit. Don't let anyone tell you this process offers a mandate for May's plans.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
How many minutes do you think it'd take for someone at Tory HQ to whip up a little thing saying "if I was any oval office I'd want strong, secure leadership. Vote Conservative."

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

jBrereton posted:

How many minutes do you think it'd take for someone at Tory HQ to whip up a little thing saying "if I was any oval office I'd want strong, secure leadership. Vote Conservative."

I'd vote for any party that used the word oval office openly

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Zephro posted:

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2017/04/20/the-choice-in-election-2017-brexit-or-brexit

A good article which points out that May can't claim a mandate from this election when the two biggest parties both support a hard Brexit.

You can have anything you want as long as it's crashing out of the EU with virtually nothing to replace it with

loving criminal this.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

forkboy84 posted:

An old article from 2015, but here's Tim Farron bleating about how unfairly persecuted Christians are, he thinks he'd not be challenged on his views on gay sex if he was a Muslim or Jew. Ignoring the salient point, which is he's the leader of the loving Liberal Democrat Party, and liberal people tend to expect slightly better treatment for homosexuals than he's so far shown.

Of course he then goes and proves he's talking shite by saying “But we’re still grieving the loss of Charles Kennedy who spent seven years being party leader and quite a devout Roman Catholic, and nobody looks back and thinks that was some kind of theocracy.” And of course, Charles Kennedy never dithered about whether gay sex was a sin or immoral.

I edited this because I totally missed the date was 2015 & not 2017, in my excitement of Tim Farron being lovely again. Still think it's relevant when people are considering voting for the Liberal Democrats in 2017 though, he's hardly repudiated these views.

Tim Farron is a redditor c/d?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

Utter bollocks.

The SNP have a third generation MP in Stuart Donaldson (son of Maureen Watt, grandson of the late Hamish Watt) so I don't see it being outlandish.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pissflaps posted:

If you're somebody sitting there believing that the time is right for a resurgence of popular leftism in the UK following a global trend you should be loving furious with Corbyn for loving it up this badly.

If it helps, I am. Well, not furious, but certainly disappointed. He has been presented with a couple of open goals and never even taken a shot.

The more I think on it the more I realise he's actually faced considerably fewer, and far less vitriolic, direct attacks than Milliband ever did because he's just not really done anything to make it worth attacking him. I still believe with proper support from the PLP and proper messaging he'd have had a good shot (and he's certainly not innocent in that - keeping the party in line is as much part of the job as PMQs or slightly strange photo opps) , but we'll never know now.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jedit posted:

The SNP have a third generation MP in Stuart Donaldson (son of Maureen Watt, grandson of the late Hamish Watt) so I don't see it being outlandish.

Seb said it wasn't true.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

gently caress you guys are grim. Corbyn made a good speech, played perfectly to the 'underdog' and 'anti-establishment' vibe, answered questions well, and even got largely favourable media coverage.

Plus Labour are getting much better at refuting Tory attack lines. Yesterday as soon as the 'coalition of chaos' was mentioned Corbyn ruled out a coalition with the SNP. Today as soon as rumours of a second Brexit referendum started swirling Labour did the same. In fact they ruled it out fast enough that an interview with Theresa May where she attacked them about it was nullified by the time if was broadcast.

As bad as things are at the moment today was a good day, you might as well enjoy it.

EDIT: Also Coyne is suspended which is loving funny, Dugher is apparently going to stand down, and Farage just confirmed he isn't standing. It's a good news bonanza.

jabby fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 20, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The only time a "rigged system" should be brought up in UK politics is if the candidates are holding a debate on the Cutty Sark. Otherwise it sounds like something you've chored off an American, which it is.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

gently caress you guys are grim. Corbyn made a good speech, played perfectly to the 'underdog' and 'anti-establishment' vibe, answered questions well, and even got largely favourable media coverage.

Plus Labour are getting much better at refuting Tory attack lines. Yesterday as soon as the 'coalition of chaos' was mentioned Corbyn ruled out a coalition with the SNP. Today as soon as rumours of a second Brexit referendum started swirling Labour did the same. In fact they ruled it out fast enough that an interview with Theresa May where she attacked them about it was nullified by the time if was broadcast.

Labour confirming that they're a hard Brexit party is not good news.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

jBrereton posted:

The only time a "rigged system" should be brought up in UK politics is if the candidates are holding a debate on the Cutty Sark. Otherwise it sounds like something you've chored off an American, which it is.

It worked. And it's also true. Seems like two good reasons to bring it up.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

jabby posted:

It worked. And it's also true. Seems like two good reasons to bring it up.
It doesn't sound authentic from an old, anti-American, academic British guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

jabby posted:

Pretty sure some of these guys are just harping the same old tune regardless of what was actually said or done.

• Locked thread