Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I bagged on the issue a lot, but there are honestly some cool moments in it, particularly art-wise. There's a page where Batman spits his blood at Thawne's forehead, and the little drop of blood on that yellow costume -- with Thawne doing his little evil grin -- was clearly evocative of the Watchmen logo. I read that and was like, ah, that's the sort of clever dipshittery from writers that I enjoy.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Eh Thawne dies all the time. A version of him who time traveled a bit into the future will show up eventually.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Eh Thawne dies all the time. A version of him who time traveled a bit into the future will show up eventually.

Oh yeah no doubt.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Got caught up on the first three issues of The Wild Storm and liked it a lot even if I wasn't totally sure what was going on 100% of the time. Is there anything from the past I can read to help give context?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Not narratively, but it might help to just Google what the previous incarnations of the characters were about.
There was also a couple of months of back matter before the first issue where Ellis lays out the world a bit.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Who here is reading Supersons? It is seriously the cutest series I have seen out of DC since Gotham Academy. Damian and Jon just being brats to each other :3: Also looks like it's finally caught up to where its first issue started off on.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
man, the button starting off strong

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

lotus circle posted:

Who here is reading Supersons? It is seriously the cutest series I have seen out of DC since Gotham Academy. Damian and Jon just being brats to each other :3: Also looks like it's finally caught up to where its first issue started off on.

I really dig it. I love the art.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blockhouse posted:

man, the button starting off strong

drat right it dide. All covers are sold out at Diamond too. DC is gonna have gangbuster April/May sales numbers.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wow, every DC comic I bought this week was really strong.

Granted, I forgot Odyssey of the Amazons, but whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone should forget Odyssey of the Amazons

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
You all know I'm a big ho for the Amazons but I have zero interest in that series anymore.

I've read worse, mind you, it's just that this is a particularly uninteresting sort of uninteresting story, and the art is just actively unappealing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So throwing away the Legends of Wonder Woman lady for the co-creator of the Underworld movie franchise didn't work out?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

drat right it dide. All covers are sold out at Diamond too. DC is gonna have gangbuster April/May sales numbers.

I couldn't bring myself to spend the extra dollar on the special cover. Plus I'm a sucker for the Sale covers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

I couldn't bring myself to spend the extra dollar on the special cover. Plus I'm a sucker for the Sale covers.

No judgement my man. We have a standard two per person limit on every comic unless you order ahead of time. Well since we loaded the hell up we decided to count each variant as it's own book so I had about a half dozen people buy two of all four covers today. It was bonkers how many people grabbed them up.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I got the lenticular cover because the comic shop I go to saved one for me. :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I put them back for every preorder.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I heard on a comic shop's new releases video that you could just treat this as a #2 issue to the Rebirth Special, but I'm delighted to see that a poor new reader will need to go look up Flashpoint. Or more likely just assume that Bruce's dad was also a Batman.
:D

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's a pretty fair assessment. I'm wondering if they're going to announce the actual Rebirth #2 at C2E2 since all the rumor guys were positive it was gonna hit right when the 25th issues drop.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Teenage Fansub posted:

I heard on a comic shop's new releases video that you could just treat this as a #2 issue to the Rebirth Special, but I'm delighted to see that a poor new reader will need to go look up Flashpoint. Or more likely just assume that Bruce's dad was also a Batman.
:D

I assumed that was Bruce's dad appearing from some timeline where he had survived and become a Batfather due to dimensional hopping timeline fuckery. I've never even considered looking for backstory to explain it, or any other weird visions since they happen to basically everyone in comics, I just figured if it was important it'd become clear in time.

Was Flashpoint good? I've never really been excited by the Flash or any of his stories, though The Button 1 has got me a little more into the idea.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

Shovelmint posted:

I assumed that was Bruce's dad appearing from some timeline where he had survived and become a Batfather due to dimensional hopping timeline fuckery. I've never even considered looking for backstory to explain it, or any other weird visions since they happen to basically everyone in comics, I just figured if it was important it'd become clear in time.

Was Flashpoint good? I've never really been excited by the Flash or any of his stories, though The Button 1 has got me a little more into the idea.

It was not good.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Shovelmint posted:

The main series would have been an ok Flash story if not for DC blowing it up into a big crossover and then reboot justification.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It had a few fun alt-universe ideas but wasn't great overall and really didn't feel like the kind of story that should end / launch an entire universe.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Shovelmint posted:

Was Flashpoint good?
nooooooooo

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Is the Rebirth one-shot worth reading if I don't actually care too much about the old universe. Here's my synopsis of what happened, this totally works for me:

All the superheroes in the world reach up towards a light and bam, have some new series.

If I need more backstory, I'm always happy to read comics, but the Batpeople and the Superpeople are punching baddies, and the details don't seem too important.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

That’s why DC Comics’ newest line of comic books, Dark Matter, is teaming up superstar artists with equally superstar writers — on a bevy of brand-new characters, to boot. In the video above, some of DC’s top creators describe the thinking behind the line.

“What I love about Dark Matter is it’s a return to bringing both the writer and artist to the fore,” DC Publisher Jim Lee says in the video. “At our talent summit, we brought together some of our key creators, writers, and artists, and we sat around and talked about what was missing in comics, what we could do to create something different that maybe fans of this generation hadn’t seen before.”

The line will kick off in August with Dark Nights: Metal, written by Scott Snyder and drawn by Greg Capullo. That’s right: The team behind a recent fan-favorite six-year run on Batman are once again teaming up for a DC comic, and this one promises to be unlike anything that came before. DC’s vague teaser text promises “a story that will examine every choice a hero doesn’t take and every path they don’t walk, opening up worlds that are forged by nightmares.” In the video above, Capullo elaborates that they’re “opening doors nobody thought we were gonna go through… the promo I did was Batman holding two battle axes, so this is the kind of crazy stuff we’re gonna see in this.”

Dark Nights: Metal will be the launching pad for the rest of the Dark Matter line, with characters and storylines from other books being introduced here first. For instance, a teleporting teenager changed by the events of that book will go on to star in Sideways, which debuts in September. That book will be co-written by DC Publisher Dan DiDio and Justin Jordan and illustrated by Kenneth Rocafort. September will also see the launch of The Silencer. Written by Dan Abnett and drawn by John Romita Jr., that book will focus on Honor Guest, the former world’s deadliest assassin now trying for a quiet life in the suburbs until (surprise!) her former life comes back to haunt her, and she must become The Silencer to protect her family.

In October, Detective Comics writer James Tynion IV teams up with Lee himself for Immortal Men, a story about five immortal siblings who “operate from the shadows, recruiting the elite against the foes who seek to bring about Armageddon.” October will also see Damage, written by Robert Venditti with art by Tony S. Daniel, in which army recruit Ethan Avery is granted the power “to unleash an unstoppable monster for one hour at a time.”

The final book in the line, New Challengers, debuts in December and will be written by Snyder with art by Andy Kubert. As the title suggests, it is a reboot of Challengers of the Unknown, but with “a new cast” and “new mission.”

http://ew.com/books/2017/04/20/dc-comics-superstars-unite-for-new-dark-matter-line/

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Shovelmint posted:

Is the Rebirth one-shot worth reading if I don't actually care too much about the old universe. Here's my synopsis of what happened, this totally works for me:

All the superheroes in the world reach up towards a light and bam, have some new series.

If I need more backstory, I'm always happy to read comics, but the Batpeople and the Superpeople are punching baddies, and the details don't seem too important.

I think it's worth reading. It's a great launching on point for everything. Doesn't really touch on pre-New 52 stuff aside from Wally West and the button.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

Getting a serious bloodlines vibe here.

Hoping for an young animal level of good side books.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/855111657646956545

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
DC really diggin' deep for talent there.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I guess kudos to DC for trying something different, but this is one of those things where regardless of the creative teams, you start taking bets for whether they'll reach 10 issues or not. Also, my favorite quote:

Greg Capullo posted:

the promo I did was Batman holding two battle axes, so this is the kind of crazy stuff we’re gonna see in this.

What madmen!!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Pumped for Snyder writing something non-Batman.

Interesting to see Justin Jordan back. Didn't he quit?

edit: And interesting the see that the promo video is 100% about these 80's/90's art dudes over any writers.
I wonder if this is them pouncing on that Marvel guy's "Artists don't move the needle" comment.

ee: Full descriptions here: http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/04/20/artists-take-center-stage-as-dc-introduces-dark-matter

quote:

THE SILENCER
Debuting in September
Written by Dan Abnett with art by John Romita Jr.
Honor Guest was the world’s deadliest assassin, until she traded it all for a chance at a “normal” life in the suburbs, free from the constant death and destruction. But as her former life comes back to haunt her, Honor must strip away her suburban persona and protect her family as THE SILENCER.

SIDEWAYS
Debuting in September
Written by Dan DiDio and Justin Jordan with art by Kenneth Rocafort
Forever changed by the events of DARK NIGHTS: METAL, a teenager struggles to live through high school as he comes in contact with Dark Matter and gains the power to teleport through the Dark Dimension. But each leap brings the new hero one step closer to succumbing to the allure of his new power and its dark origins.

IMMORTAL MEN
Debuting in October
Written by James Tynion IV with art by Jim Lee
Born at the dawn of time, five siblings find that with eternal life comes eternal war. As the forces of destruction march into the modern world, they operate from the shadows, recruiting the elite against the foes who seek to bring about Armageddon. They are humankind’s hope sprung eternal….they are the IMMORTAL MEN.

DAMAGE
Debuting in October
Written by Robert Venditti with art by Tony S. Daniel
Ethan Avery only wanted to serve his country, but promises of becoming the ultimate weapon leave the new recruit living a nightmare. Cursed with the ability to unleash an unstoppable monster for one hour at a time, Ethan only wants to live out his life in peace. But if he can tame the monster inside, it might just be able to do more good for the country than Ethan ever expected.

NEW CHALLENGERS
Debuting in December
Written by Scott Snyder with art by Andy Kubert
Characters live on borrowed time, running from death toward the greatest mysteries, wonders and terrors of the universe! It’s a new cast, new mission, but in conversation with the history and greatness of the original Challengers of the Unknown. The story starts with Challengers Mountain returning after having been missing for years, and only gets wilder from there…

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 20, 2017

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Silencer's costume is literally all pouches. This is peak 90s.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

JRJr promoting his comic in the video: "The process hasn't changed much for creating characters. Maybe that's good, maybe it's not."

Maybe talk about how you've made a new badass female action hero or something, ya dope.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 20, 2017

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

glitchwraith posted:

Silencer's costume is literally all pouches. This is peak 90s.

Also, one of the characters on Rocafort's book is named Killspeed.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'll give everything a three issue test at least.

New Challengers, Silencer, and Metal seem neat, but this isn't the most exciting announcement in the world.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

This all looks extremely hilarious but will any of it be good?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is he cool? Listen, bud.
He's got an arrow pointing at his junk.
Look out! Here comes the Sideways-Man.

edit: And, hey! BS on not getting a female "master" in there. Jill Thompson or something.

ee: I'll definitely try a new Tynion 4 comic, but this is hilarious.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 20, 2017

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
Most of that art looks like some mashed grimdark and the 90s together to make Xtreme D4rk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Honestly out of all of those only New Challengers sounds like fun, and also has a creative team I can get behind. Most of those title's premises just seem instantly dated.