Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Intruder posted:

For example, Harden took 17 shots in the game

18 players in the regular season took 18 or more shots per game. The highest was Westbrook at 24.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Paul Zuvella posted:

Westbrook is in fact carrying Kobe's legacy in that he will never be the best player on a championship team.

YUP YUP YUP!!!!! If anyone actually watched the playoffs those last 3 Lakers finals, it was the frontcourt mismatches that actually won it for the Lakers.
Nobody could contain Gasol, Bynum and Odom those years. They were monsters.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Intruder posted:

For example, Harden took 17 shots in the game

And 10 of those were actually unsuccessful attempts to draw a foul

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Are we all forgetting that Andre Roberson is open by design? Like every defense knowingly and willingly leaves him wide open?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

And 10 of those were actually unsuccessful attempts to draw a foul

Harden owns :colbert:

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

nice, thanks!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Intruder posted:

Harden owns :colbert:

I dislike Harden marginally less than I dislike Westbrook.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kibner posted:

I dislike Harden marginally less than I dislike Westbrook.

This may be our first disagreement, Kibner. :(

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Was/is Taj injured? He did not come back in the game after playing 20 minutes. Adams had 5 fouls and didn't play a bunch in the 4th, and without him and Taj their defense and rebounding were much worse. OKC were dominating on offensive rebounds early in the game and that helps Russ a lot.

The game really doesn't get out of hand until about under 3 minutes. Beverly is left wide open and hits a 3 to make it 109-104. Russ misses a 3 pointer with Nene on him at the 3pt line. Grant is wide open in the corner on this one but the passing lane between Russ and him is pretty well clogged. Eric Gordon hits a long three with Roberson in his face. Westbrook passes it to an open Oladipo at 1:30 for a 3, but he misses, Grant gets the rebound and passes it off to Russ. This is probably Russ' first really painfully bad shot IMO, he "takes" an awful 3 hoping to get the foul call from Eric Gordon, but then Gordon streaks down the court and Bev makes a good outlet pass for 2 on Grant's goaltending.

Refs miss the backcourt violation after the timeout here and the announcers whine about it the entire rest of the game.

Oh at about 1:00 Harden makes the most hilarious mini-flop forward at half court with Roberson's hand on his back.

Russ takes an early long 2 at about :50, but it's pretty good because he's got Eric Gordon right on his back. Russ makes 1/2 and it's a 6 point game. Russ misses back to back 3s at :33 and :23, neither is a particularly bad shot though. The second one he's 100% open on after Grant's steal. Also the big thing to note here is that OKC has no timeouts left since like, 1:22. Not sure what Billy D did with all his timeouts.

Rockets probably play stupider in the crunch than Russ, IMO. Harden makes a bad pass, Ariza stupidly fouls Russ with like, 18 seconds left and no OKC timeouts left.

Honestly all the flak at Russ is way, way overblown. Just watch the 4th quarter again, it's really not that bad.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Worth mentioning: Beverley was so wide open when he hit that three because Russ made zero attempt to guard him or close out once he got the ball

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yeah the Beverly 3 was probably the turning point on a rewatch.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
#FreeMcDougmett

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lmao good Lord.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is this one of those tests for the colorblind?

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

rockets.gif

Basically why Russ should be MVP right here.

I just want to see a repeat of this except Russ shooting the dagger 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mejFtEY5faU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I think my favorite part of that gif is both Harden and Roberson looking towards the ref to see if he's going to call it.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Just to pile on because it makes me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7VuJ6dX5Tw

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

dokmo posted:

You've outdone yourself

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

dokmo posted:

Aww, you edited out the hilariously egregious over-and-back.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I know Russ gets all the heat because he's the only decent player on the roster but few are talking about how much of an absolute loving trashfire Oladipo has been in this series, when his one advantage is having a poo poo ton of space while Russ is commanding attention.

Roberson is basically DeAndre Jordan in accuracy compared to Oladipo.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I love the poo poo out of Gordon twisting his body so he doesn't run into Russ while the half assed heave goes up

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yeah Oladipo has just sorta been... there. Billy D needs to free McBuckets

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/855115200684478464

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Tae posted:

I know Russ gets all the heat because he's the only decent player on the roster but few are talking about how much of an absolute loving trashfire Oladipo has been in this series, when his one advantage is having a poo poo ton of space while Russ is commanding attention.

Roberson is basically DeAndre Jordan in accuracy compared to Oladipo.

2.5 PER so far these playoffs

and Domatas has played 6 minutes

Maybe OKC should still to drafting talent

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Everyone ripping on Westbrook is hilarious because if you switched what teams Westbrook and Harden were on, the Rockets would still be in the lead.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well yeah but people treat the Rockets like trash and Harden which is really loving weird.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Houston with Westbrook would be like the worst Defensive team in the history of the league and would almost certainly not be leading any series.

Westbrook makes their offense way, way, way worse and their defense would be argauably worse as well.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

chilihead posted:

YUP YUP YUP!!!!! If anyone actually watched the playoffs those last 3 Lakers finals, it was the frontcourt mismatches that actually won it for the Lakers.
Nobody could contain Gasol, Bynum and Odom those years. They were monsters.

Geeze I wonder why no one thought to pack the paint or build their defenses around stopping these guys. It's almost like . . . there was something else happening in these games that caused teams to think single coverage on these guys was a good idea.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Spacebump posted:

Everyone ripping on Westbrook is hilarious because if you switched what teams Westbrook and Harden were on, the Rockets would still be in the lead.

I do not agree with this statement

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
What about a team where all the players are Russell Westbrook? 12 Russell Westbrooks versus the NBA.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Paul Zuvella posted:

Houston with Westbrook would be like the worst Defensive team in the history of the league and would almost certainly not be leading any series.

Westbrook makes their offense way, way, way worse and their defense would be argauably worse as well.

Nah

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Rick posted:

Geeze I wonder why no one thought to pack the paint or build their defenses around stopping these guys. It's almost like . . . there was something else happening in these games that caused teams to think single coverage on these guys was a good idea.

Yeah that's a bit of an extreme statement but I am firmly in the "Pau was the best player on those Lakers team" camp

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rick posted:

Or possibly it's because literally no team in the league had the personnel to defend 3 players 6'10" and up who could all play at the same time and only one of whom had to be on the block to be a threat, and also they were all good to great defenders. I don't think anyone is gonna claim 08-10 Kobe was bad, but especially on the 9-10 team the gap between Kobe and Pau was huge. The sole argument for Kobe would be that he was still using a huge block of possessions. It's all hypothetical and kind of apples to oranges, but I'd rather have Pau than Kobe at that point in their careers.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Rick posted:

Rick I was too young to care about it at the time but were people as retarded about prime kobe as they are about Russ

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Metapod posted:

Rick I was too young to care about it at the time but were people as retarded about prime kobe as they are about Russ

Oh baby.

Speaking of Kobe, he started his own youth league called The Mamba League.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Metapod posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, Kobe was never the THIRD best player on his team...

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

DeimosRising posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, Kobe was never the THIRD best player on his team...

97-98

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

This is a good analysis of the adjustments OKC needs to make

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-playoffs-oklahoma-city-thunder-houston-rockets-game-2-3b9ea97d31c5

• Locked thread