Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

That last shot of the crew over Venus was extremely anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuclearEagleFox!!!
Oct 7, 2011
Speaking of B5, I think there will need to be some restructuring of the viewing order after it all plays out so the arcs are properly laid out.

In Naomi's speech she says "Mars has it, Earth has it". But how does she know that? They successfully quarantined Ganymede and destroyed the proto-person. The Roci crew doesn't seem to know much of anything about Venus either.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah BSG is the finest sci-fi series ever filmed and anyone who says otherwise hates good things and can be safely ignored. It's a solid litmus test. Babylon 5's story works better but it has a whole lot of rough production and bad acting dragging on it. Also B5 is still as far as I know the only TV show ever fully plotted, then ten years of editing while trying to get it made, before going on the air (not counting book adaptations).

This show is also good and waiting a year is going to suck even though I know what happens.

E: Anyone have a direct download link to the podcast? The page isn't loading properly for me.

Season 3 is really wonky in places (they should have stayed on New Caprica for most of it imo) but the final few episodes, the Trial of Gaius Baltar and that reveal at the end were just fantastic.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Seems like Earth doesn't have it though. Some corporation has it and it bought off a politician so it could do experiments.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Good finale. Not great, but certainly good.

Shirtless Amos will keep me motivated to go to the gym for at least a couple of months, geez. no homo

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Season 3 is really wonky in places (they should have stayed on New Caprica for most of it imo) but the final few episodes, the Trial of Gaius Baltar and that reveal at the end were just fantastic.

The reveal was fantastic in the sense that it was well-made, but as an actual narrative choice... not so much.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Anyway, episode was a decent finale. But it also had a very 'transitory episode' feeling, which is a bit odd when it should feel more like a full stop and not so much a comma.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Well, they explosion diagrammed the Arboghast after all, that was nice.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

Anyway, episode was a decent finale. But it also had a very 'transitory episode' feeling, which is a bit odd when it should feel more like a full stop and not so much a comma.

I was really hoping they would introduce the investigator but this was a good end to the season.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Bates posted:

Seems like Earth doesn't have it though. Some corporation has it and it bought off a politician so it could do experiments.
Naomi didn't really think it through, and I suspect she was trying to justify her actions to herself as much as she was to Holden.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Rewatching the episode, I'm kind of glad they didn't end this season on a huge cliffhanger, either. It usually raises expectations unnecessarily.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

The reveal was fantastic in the sense that it was well-made, but as an actual narrative choice... not so much.

Oh yeah, massively. It was a twist that I really liked because it promised all sorts of amazing stuff, and then they never properly followed through with it. Kind of like the cylon bones on Earth that is great in terms of completely upending the table and making you re-evaluate just what the hell is going on. And then the plot basically continues as if it had never happened.

Or how S1 ends with irrefutable proof of the historical truth of their religious texts, and nobody seemed to care.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I think what hosed everything over is that S1 should have had more episodes and ended with Miller and Mao on Eros plunging into Venus. Everything about that episode was high-budget, intense and quite emotional at points. It was so weird having that in the first half of S2, whereas picking up from the end of the Miller arc and rolling would have probably got us to a better point in the books to do a S2 cut. I wonder how much Sci-Fi had to do with the pacing of that.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

R-Type posted:

I think what hosed everything over is that S1 should have had more episodes and ended with Miller and Mao on Eros plunging into Venus. Everything about that episode was high-budget, intense and quite emotional at points. It was so weird having that in the first half of S2, whereas picking up from the end of the Miller arc and rolling would have probably got us to a better point in the books to do a S2 cut. I wonder how much Sci-Fi had to do with the pacing of that.

I'm starting to think the weird season end-points are due to budget and the fact that if they don't get the full run of seasons to cover all the books, the end of book 3 sort of works as an end for the TV series. Sort of.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Man I'm more glad than ever I didn't read the books because I thought this episode was loving awesome

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I couldn't even assume that the Arboghast crew was killed because I would assume they would be slowly toasting in the corrosive and searing hot atmosphere, instead of floating around.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
The crew floating around looked pretty goofy to me which is a pity because otherwise it was such a cool shot.

I'll echo the "good episode but a poor season ender" posts. Shame we didn't see a bit more of Bobbie kicking rear end in her armor though, it was really fun in the book. Could've cut the whole electrician bit and given her more time to throw dudes around.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Amos's prior military experience shows because he knows that going commando in coveralls is amaziiiiiiing

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So how long is the wait? Start the clock.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Can anyone, book reader or not, explain what was up with the Martian ship that plummets down before the science ship on venus?

I don't remember that in the books.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Can anyone, book reader or not, explain what was up with the Martian ship that plummets down before the science ship on venus?

I don't remember that in the books.

I think they were just trying to get to the surface first.

In the books,

Venus is not hush hush at all and EVERYONE is monitoring what's going on. Chrisjen even remarks that it evens the playing field because everyone from Earth, Mars, the Belt and corporations are all watching Venus and know about the atmosphere and surface changes. When the UN ship "de-assembles, its a big deal and not top secret cause everyone sees it happen.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I think it was weird the martians were going in because we'll, it's Venus, it's just some normal frigate, and those ships never stuck me as the type that could do a surface landing

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Venus is totally different in the books. The Arboghast is disassembled in orbit, and everybody knows about the protomolecule and is monitoring what's going on. The secrecy is all a show invention. Eros was broadcasting video of what was going on inside, from that point forward the entire system's aware.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Bates posted:

For Naomi, an Earther corp having it == Earth having it. Regardless of whether or not Mao is working for or against the Earth government, he's an Earther.

I'd add that as an episode the finale was great, I just find how they're structuring the plot odd.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The secrecy of the PM on venus and in general seems to be a show invention to justify the shuffling around of plot events and change of the pacing of the story

really slowed everything down as compared to the book

Just got Abbaddon's Gate in the mail. Really hope they show Maneo's prologue chapter instead of skip it like they did kinda with Mei's.

I'll add that while yes, the season seems to have ended on a slightly anticlimactic note, I bet the show is gonna be fuckin rad to watch in one sitting.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

logikv9 posted:

I think it was weird the martians were going in because we'll, it's Venus, it's just some normal frigate, and those ships never stuck me as the type that could do a surface landing

Smaller MCRN ships like the Roci can definitely manage Earth takeoff and landing. With how powerful Epstein drives are, I don't think the extra atmospheric drag at Venus would be a problem, but the temperature, pressure, and corrosivity at surface level seem like probably a dealbreaker, so yeah, I don't know what those Martians were doing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Keeping it secret does give them more ways to build tension I suppose. I don't know that it's better or worse, just different.

I hope everyone who was skeptical of Bobbie is not any more. The Bobbie we've seen since she decided to break out of the embassy is the character we were all looking forward to.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Grand Fromage posted:

I hope everyone who was skeptical of Bobbie is not any more. The Bobbie we've seen since she decided to break out of the embassy is the character we were all looking forward to.

https://fat.gfycat.com/ImmaculateForthrightGreyhounddog.mp4

Thanks for capping all these clips Platystemon.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
When the electrician asked to be stuffed in a locker, Bobbie gave this totally adorable little "yeah ok" look right before the scene cut too. I like how she's a total badass with all these cute moments.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Grand Fromage posted:

Keeping it secret does give them more ways to build tension I suppose.

It makes sense from a story telling perspective honestly. If the PM was completely out in the open any character could justify just about any action by saying they were doing something about the PM. Not only that, it becomes harder to believe the power struggle to get access to the PM if everyone were able to see how alien it actually was and the horror it could cause. As it stands, most people just have whispers of a substantial game changing weapon. Seeing the horror of Eros or the disassembly of the Arboghast should create a lot of pressure against the PM to the point where our main characters would have near zero resistance to anything they might want to do. "We survived Eros, one of our own prevented it from killing Earth, we need to do x to prevent further incidents" is a pretty big card to pull against someone if they understood what was going on.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The first five minutes of the episode made me think that they were finishing off the allotment of f-bombs that syfy allowed them to drop for this season.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Tighclops posted:

Man I'm more glad than ever I didn't read the books because I thought this episode was loving awesome

Yeah, I kinda felt the same way, but to a slightly lesser extent. I haven't read the books but I definitely enjoyed this episode.

(Again, the show as a whole just doesn't quite get there but it's a solid B or B+ in my book...)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I enjoyed the episode by itself, just not as a season finale. Seeing the Arbogast instantly disassembled was insanely cool. I really hope they fix the pacing issue somehow, or next season (book 2.5 to 3.5 probably) is going to get really stupid.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I watched the finale with Holden and Plant Guy in NYC. They're really cool guys in person! Absolutely killer finale, and I made Stephen promise me there's more Drummer coming in Season 3.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Taintrunner posted:

I watched the finale with Holden and Plant Guy in NYC. They're really cool guys in person! Absolutely killer finale, and I made Stephen promise me there's more Drummer coming in Season 3.

Ah sweet, if you ever see them again pass along my compliments on their work, and I guess tell them to make sure the show continues for all the books by any means necessary?

JohnCrichton
Mar 6, 2007
Welcome to the Federation Starship SS Buttcrack.

Accretionist posted:

Goon with limited foreknowledge here!

This episode felt odd as a season ender. It felt like a few narrative crescendos buried underneath the limp rolling out of the PM's increased prominence and direct engagement with the narrative. It's going from MacGuffin to active.

I got a kick out of the contrast between Asur and Avasarala's dire negotiations and Bobbie's cheeky negotiations.

I got a kick out of the contrast between the human-directed PM chicanery and the self-directed PM chicanery. The former performed stupid human tricks. The latter's up to some crazy poo poo that's way over our heads.

And Fred's probably gonna let them back on Tycho station.

That's the least Fred could do after Naomi handed him the blue extraterrestrial jizz.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

Keeping it secret does give them more ways to build tension I suppose. I don't know that it's better or worse, just different.

It does take away a pretty big character trait of Holden's, however, which is his near pathological drive make information FREE.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I had no idea it was the season finale until I came here. Definitely didn't feel like one.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Thought Naomi's speech and the OPA having the protomolecule was suitably climactic for the season. But yeah, not a lot of overall resolution. The Arboghast scene while beautiful was probably a bit too vague and strange for show-only viewers, could've done with people reacting to it to really sell it? It deffo is weird the way they're splitting the books. Way better ending than season 1, anyway.

There were some genuinely compelling parts, including that end speech. Naomi's actress has been nailing it these past two episodes. Alex and Amos are always great and I want more of them in general.

But man, the Bobbie stuff is kind of a constant disappointment. Felt like they really undersold her power armour. Her slowly throwing dudes seemed like something the show was already having Frankie Adams do without power armour? Wanted it to be almost cartoonish, with dudes getting effortlessly getting smashed through the goddamn ceiling. In the books didn't she literally rip through the ship from the outside? I know it's down to budget, like the tragically lost Ganymede scene. But the writing suffers a little too, there's an interesting tension to setting up her "formal wear" in advance, versus just dropping it out of nowhere right when she needs to get to it. The whole scenario just worked better in the books for me, down to an incredibly compliant captain.

The show is still really amateur at trying to do tension before violence in general. The standoff turning to gunfire because of that one guy with the twitchy trigger finger should've been edge-of-the-seat but they always present it very matter-of-fact, shot like a soap opera. Same with Holden and co. busting in on the pizza party. The showrunner really needs to study some Tarantino, or Justified or SOMETHING!

Book question: does Fred have the protomolecule around this point yet (or at all?) and if so, how? I can't remember any details but I know what happened in the show didn't happen in the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fred has the protomolecule by the end of book 1 I believe. I think they grab the sample on the science station raid.

• Locked thread