Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

2017 is Georgia's year.

Coincidentally, 2017 is also the year of Linux on the desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't know about you, but I'm excited for my team to have a standard year where it wins most but not all of its games!

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Is this college or NFL or both?

Jim Harbaugh wrote Colin Kaepernick's entry for the 2017 Time's Top 100 Most Influential People

http://time.com/collection/2017-time-100/4736257/colin-kaepernick/?xid=time_socialflow_twitter

quote:

Colin Kaepernick
By

Colin Kaepernick was alone in his early protests last year when he boldly and courageously confronted perceived inequalities in our social-justice system by refusing to stand for the national anthem. At times in our nation's history, we have been all too quick to judge and oppose our fellow Americans for exercising their First Amendment right to address things they believe unjust.

Rather than besmirch their character, we must celebrate their act. For we cannot pioneer and invent if we are fearful of deviating from the norm, damaging our public perception or—most important—harming our own personal interests.

I thank Colin for all he has contributed to the game of football as an outstanding player and trusted teammate. I also applaud Colin for the courage he has demonstrated in exercising his guaranteed right of free speech. His willingness to take a position at personal cost is now part of our American story.

How lucky for us all and for our country to have among our citizens someone as remarkable as Colin Kaepernick.

Harbaugh, who coached Kaepernick in the NFL from 2011 to 2014, is the head football coach at the University of Michigan

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

This is Peak 'Poke, holy poo poo. gently caress that school.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Mike Riley named Tanner Lee Nebraska's starting QB over former 4-stars Patrick O'Brien (RS frosh) and to a lesser extent, Tristan Gebbia (true frosh). Lee transferred from Tulane after they hired Willie Fritz; his numbers there weren't stellar, but I've often read the "he was asked to do a lot" excuse. We shall see.

The local media seem to think he's far and away the most NFL-caliber QB we've had since, I dunno, Vince Ferragamo.

Mr. World
May 6, 2007
Working undercover for the man . . .

This is the kind of bullshit that college football is all about. :allears:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Truly a team that Trump can support. ^

Anyway came here to post that Tebow wrote John 3:16 on someones forehead before sending them to heaven. They were teammates.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

Mike Riley named Tanner Lee Nebraska's starting QB over former 4-stars Patrick O'Brien (RS frosh) and to a lesser extent, Tristan Gebbia (true frosh). Lee transferred from Tulane after they hired Willie Fritz; his numbers there weren't stellar, but I've often read the "he was asked to do a lot" excuse. We shall see.

The local media seem to think he's far and away the most NFL-caliber QB we've had since, I dunno, Vince Ferragamo.

Gebbia is going to redshirt. I feel like Lee still has some progress to make, but holy poo poo it's so weird having actual QB play at Nebraska after 8 years of Martinez/Armstrong.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
SDSU voted 14-12 yesterday to keep the Aztecs as their mascot.

They voted unanimously to keep it four years ago so it's only a matter of time now

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Is there a particular reason they are the Aztecs? Is San Diego a secret Aztec city

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Regnevelc posted:

Is this college or NFL or both?

Jim Harbaugh wrote Colin Kaepernick's entry for the 2017 Time's Top 100 Most Influential People

http://time.com/collection/2017-time-100/4736257/colin-kaepernick/?xid=time_socialflow_twitter

🙂

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Spintzel posted:

Is there a particular reason they are the Aztecs? Is San Diego a secret Aztec city

I mean it's not implausible that the Aztecs were in that part of California

FizFashizzle posted:

yeah maybe they can beat georgia tech this year.

feel like you're looking past vandy and app state

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

KKKLIP ART posted:

2017 is Georgia's year.

Coincidentally, 2017 is also the year of Linux on the desktop.

I mean... WSL is a thing now, so... technically?

a neat cape posted:

SDSU voted 14-12 yesterday to keep the Aztecs as their mascot.

They voted unanimously to keep it four years ago so it's only a matter of time now

Aztecs is more akin to Trojans and Spartans than the other Native American team names, though...

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

kayakyakr posted:

I mean... WSL is a thing now, so... technically?

Aztecs is more akin to Trojans and Spartans than the other Native American team names, though...

The argument presented to remove the name was that it causes psychological damage to native american students. 12 members of the student council resigned after the vote lol

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

a neat cape posted:

The argument presented to remove the name was that it causes psychological damage to native american students. 12 members of the student council resigned after the vote lol

What's the statute of limitations on how long a civilization has to be dead and gone before you can name yourself after them?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I could be wrong, but don't the Aztecs (in addition to being the ancestors of most of the population) form a pretty large portion of Mexican national identity? I could potentially see that being an issue, even if it's not quite on the same level as other Native American team names.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

a neat cape posted:

This is understandable.

I just like SDSU's sweet jerseys and how they use the Aztec motif

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Would people still be pissed if they switched to the Incans?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

kayakyakr posted:

What's the statute of limitations on how long a civilization has to be dead and gone before you can name yourself after them?

Long enough that the destroyed civilization no longer register's as part of someone's identity. No one identifies as "Trojan" or "Spartan," but plenty of people of indigenous American ancestry still identify as Aztec, etc. There' still several million legit Mayans living in Mexico. There's of course the oppressor-oppressed dynamic here, as well; those who "destroyed" the Spartans and Trojans have long since vanished themselves. Not so with the Aztecs.

Dango Bango posted:

Would people still be pissed if they switched to the Incans?

Yes, for the above stated reason.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Goddamn, there's still Mayans? I thought they were long gone even by the time of the Aztecs.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PostNouveau posted:

Goddamn, there's still Mayans? I thought they were long gone even by the time of the Aztecs.

They sorta helped take the Aztecs down. Pointed Cortez in that direction and helped him along the path.

Didn't realize anyone actually identified as Aztec. Mexica or Nahua, but Aztec proper? I mean, they were around as an empire for around 100 years. As a concept of a unified culture for about 200. Not to denigrate those who identify as Aztecs, but it's not quite like the Indians or Redskins, ya?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If someone told me they were Aztec I would assume they were the regional equivalent of a white person who can't be racist because they're 1/64 Cherokee. But I really don't know poo poo about indigenous people from anywhere but the US

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Oh come on, we've seen this stunt before:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/7/15/4525820/baylor-ring-holiday-bowl-score-art-briles

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Real Name Grover posted:

Tanner Lee will have 2 or 3 throws a game that will make him look like the greatest quarterback in school history, and then throw 5 completely inexplicable interceptions

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm down with this one. That was just laziness on the officials' part.

Does anyone have the link to the story a few years ago where Baylor was putting up conference/divison championships on their stadium walls that they had 0% right to claim? I can't find it anymore.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

wa27 posted:

I'm down with this one. That was just laziness on the officials' part.

Does anyone have the link to the story a few years ago where Baylor was putting up conference/divison championships on their stadium walls that they had 0% right to claim? I can't find it anymore.

Are you thinking of A&M?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Apparnelty 11 Alcorn State football players got buck wild in a food court on campus. I know we don't really do Fulmer Cup stuff, but 11 arrested in one go has to be some sort of record right?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Yeah, not sure why I was thinking Baylor.

:lol: at claiming 1997 Big 12 champions.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, in fact, Mayan identity is probably stronger than Aztec identity nowadays. They're a huge part of the population in Guatemala and a significant minority in Mexico.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

wa27 posted:

Yeah, not sure why I was thinking Baylor.

:lol: at claiming 1997 Big 12 champions.

That 2010 one is a doozy as well.

quote:

• In 2010, there was a three-way tie in the Big 12 South, with Texas A&M coming in third by the tiebreaker of overall record. (There was also a tie in the North division, meaning that literally every team that finished above .500 can technically boast a conference championship that season.) The Aggies didn't even go to the conference title game, but still claim the conference title.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

PostNouveau posted:

That 2010 one is a doozy as well.

Oklahoma State made rings for that year as well: http://newsok.com/article/3546938

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TipTow posted:

No one identifies as ... "Spartan,"

Except for the people that live in Sparta, I guess. Its not like Laconia sank into the ocean in antiquity.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kayakyakr posted:

They sorta helped take the Aztecs down. Pointed Cortez in that direction and helped him along the path.

Didn't realize anyone actually identified as Aztec. Mexica or Nahua, but Aztec proper? I mean, they were around as an empire for around 100 years. As a concept of a unified culture for about 200. Not to denigrate those who identify as Aztecs, but it's not quite like the Indians or Redskins, ya?

I have met people who do but even if they are not literally Aztec lots of Mexican Americans consider it a big part of their cultural heritage and are maybe not super stoked about a bunch of white American's appropriating it to sell tshirts for their sports team.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

I have met people who do but even if they are not literally Aztec lots of Mexican Americans consider it a big part of their cultural heritage and are maybe not super stoked about a bunch of white American's appropriating it to sell tshirts for their sports team.

To be fair, SDSU has an almost even split between white (34%) and hispanic (31%)*.

I grew up on the border and tend to be more aware of Mexican issues than most and I had never actually heard of anyone identifying with the Aztecs. Border issues are probably substantially different than University issues.

* http://www.collegeportraits.org/CA/SDSU/characteristics

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Many college animal mascots are not even native species.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
My understanding is that a huge majority of mexicans are of hispanic descent and that actual native descendants are a rarity on the level of native americans in the US.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
A lot of the southern Mexican states (especially Yucatán) and the western Mexican states still hold a strong identity to either Mayan or Aztec heritage. I know that a large percentage of Mexico City area residents are genetically Aztec.

I'm just not sure if San Diego is like that? Maybe a large number of Hispanic residents in the area are genetically or culturally Aztec as well?

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Tulsa Golden Hurricane

Tulane Green Wave

San Diego State Perfect Weather. The mascot can be a happy sun or something.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
San Diego State Carne Asada Fries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Legit question is making your school after a group a bad thing always? Obviously if it's a slur IE Redskins that's awful but having them be the Aztecs isn't necessarily bad or derogatory.

It's very possibly that this post is on the wrong side of history.

• Locked thread