Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

lastpass is at it again http://www.martinvigo.com/design-flaws-lastpass-2fa-implementation/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

you know i always wondered if audiophile bullshit would still work if it weren't some physical thing that the person can hold in their hands and have an emotional $6000 attachment to and i guess i have my answer now

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ate all the Oreos posted:

you know i always wondered if audiophile bullshit would still work if it weren't some physical thing that the person can hold in their hands and have an emotional $6000 attachment to and i guess i have my answer now

audiophile bullshit already works on digital signaling, of course it works on software

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

audiophile bullshit already works on digital signaling, of course it works on software

well yeah but i thought there might have been some component of "look at my beautiful $6k Monster cable it must be making stuff sound better it's so expensive and heavy!" but i guess placebo and self-deception will work regardless of the delivery mechanism

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

brb, repacking "utorrent audio edition"

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

ayy

Rex-Goliath posted:

so I noticed a weird icon in sleep cycle when going to bed last night and after a quick google search:

https://support.sleepcycle.com/hc/en-us/articles/207392375-What-does-the-link-symbol-on-my-night-screen-mean-?mobile_site=true

HMMM HOW COULD THIS POSSIBLY GO WRONG??

for what it's worth I'm at a hotel. my phone has been broadcasting a recording of my sleep to strangers for who knows how long. great job

lmao

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

well yeah but i thought there might have been some component of "look at my beautiful $6k Monster cable it must be making stuff sound better it's so expensive and heavy!" but i guess placebo and self-deception will work regardless of the delivery mechanism

yeah, but having it look expensive and exclusive is definitely a big part of it. imagine the rich warm sound of a gold plated oxygen free DRM dongle.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've been to a few audiophile trade shows in the past and those people are ridiculous

Can't blame snake oilers for snake oiling tho, these people are gullible, impressionable and have deep pockets

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

spankmeister posted:

I've been to a few audiophile trade shows in the past and those people are ridiculous

Can't blame snake oilers for snake oiling tho, these people are gullible, impressionable and have deep pockets
how many times has someone made an audiophile parody, gotten serious requests and just made the product by now?

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

how many times has someone made an audiophile parody, gotten serious requests and just made the product by now?

RIP coconut audio, the best of the best

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin

schranz kafka posted:

RIP coconut audio, the best of the best

http://audiophile.rocks/best.html

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Man that's hard to tell. Poe's law is strong in this one. If I had to guess this is one: http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina17.htm

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

ohgodwhat posted:

And I don't believe they need that information anyway. They have what they need, the audio signal, from the device plugged into the headphones.

having that audio signal sent to the cell phone and back would destroy the noise canceling function of the headphones because of the latency

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:lol::lol:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

atomicthumbs posted:

having that audio signal sent to the cell phone and back would destroy the noise canceling function of the headphones because of the latency

they don't have to send it back, just send a copy to the device for processing. song recognition is a solved problem, especially if you have a high-quality stream

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I assume targeted ad companies like the shorter handles so they can add more content to their DMs or something? Or is it all just vanity.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DMs don't have size limits, and mentions don't count against the 140. they want shorter names because they're cooler and easier to remember.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

DMs don't have size limits, and mentions don't count against the 140. they want shorter names because they're cooler and easier to remember.

Didn't mentions count against it until fairly recently?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Didn't mentions count against it until fairly recently?

yes

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

they don't have to send it back, just send a copy to the device for processing. song recognition is a solved problem, especially if you have a high-quality stream

?????

ohgodwhat was talking about the external signal used as the source to invert for noise cancellation being sent to the phone and then bose

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

:cripes:

The consolation prize is that the resolution timeline is super short yet again, but jeez really.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

quote:

Timeline

02/07/2017: Disclosure to Lastpass
02/08/2017: Bugs acknowledged. CSRF is fixed, origin check is added, password hash is not used anymore.
02/10/2017: Bounties issued

thats more like it!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

can i be digital sounding :pervert:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fins posted:

thats more like it!

thats impressive even by mozilla's standards

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Do people who find and report exploits ever just get tired of dealing with vendor bs and give up? Like they find some vuln and after all this time reporting it and getting pushback they're just like gently caress it and stop even working on it. I'd imagine companies would get back like 'wait, where are you going?' it just seems super frustrating and stupid, I would end up doing exactly this

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Broken Machine posted:

Do people who find and report exploits ever just get tired of dealing with vendor bs and give up? Like they find some vuln and after all this time reporting it and getting pushback they're just like gently caress it and stop even working on it. I'd imagine companies would get back like 'wait, where are you going?' it just seems super frustrating and stupid, I would end up doing exactly this

i worked once on a vulnerability that turned into another vuln and then another one

after the third time i gave up trying to tell them that they were still hosed

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I was laughing at threads featuring audiophiles talking about how CDs sounded warmer than hard drives 12 years ago

a better bigger idiot always comes along

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

wowwwwww

nice fix timeline tho

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

JawnV6 posted:

im saying that it's written so broadly as to enable them to hoover up every sound around you, not just what's ostensibly being played

This doesn't mean they're doing anything with it. It just means a lawyer wrote the EULA and, surprise surprise, they wrote it to be maximally beneficial to Bose because that's what they're paid to do. It doesn't mean anyone at Bose actually wants to do anything like that.

The information Bose is collecting is most likely only through that phone app. I highly doubt they're doing anything with the external mic other than feeding it into the active canceling chip because it seems like trying to do anything cute directly on the headphones would eat battery life.

Bose is selling your data, but probably in much the same way other companies sell every piece of customer data. I guess a state level actor might be able to hack them or something, but I think even that might be a stretch(the phone is a juicier target and phones often contain microphones).

I doubt this is similar at all to the TV microphone stuff even if tech publications are trying to get clicks by making it seem so.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 21, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ErIog posted:

It just means a lawyer wrote the EULA and, surprise surprise, they wrote it to be maximally beneficial to Bose because that's what they're paid to do.

And that makes it not a bad thing because

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Jabor posted:

And that makes it not a bad thing because

Jesus, I'm not trying to loving defend Bose or corporate lawyers or the US legal system. I'm just trying to point out there's no reason to get hysterical over some poo poo a lawyer got paid too much money to put in a EULA that may not have any relationship to the actual technology inside these dumb headphones.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 21, 2017

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Calling out overly-broad eulas and privacy policies is a good thing. It doesn't really matter if they're not doing <bad thing> right at this moment, if at any point they want in the future they could start doing it without your knowledge or consent.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
ah yes

my "hysterical" reaction

losing my poo poo over here

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i was imagining gunshot detection as an easy use case

first, it's my first experience with noise cancelling. second, metro areas often have gunshot detectors set up. third, it'd be low power because you're only packetizing one typically-rare event and could even batch them up for when you're directly connected to the app

i understand noise cancelling, i understand they're "probably" not doing it, but you're taking a long time and a lot of capital letters to call me names over something you essentially agree with

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

JawnV6 posted:

metro areas often have gunshot detectors set up

wait seriously

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
the tweet that started all this was claiming that yes they absolutely do do it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

wait seriously

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunfire_locator#Public_safety

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

A Pinball Wizard posted:

the tweet that started all this was claiming that yes they absolutely do do it

pretty sure the tweet was saying that their app that goes with the headphones (and is a music player?) was phoning home with telemetry about what they're playing, though I might be misremembering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

flakeloaf posted:

wait seriously

http://www2.oaklandnet.com/oakca1/groups/police/documents/webcontent/oak063118.pdf

• Locked thread