Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

nate fisher posted:

Ha! Say that to a person who just climbed 3,500 feet and killed their knees going back down in the same day. That's a hike.

Side note. I just found out a good friend (who hasn't ever hiked really) is planning to pay $300 for a basic backpacking class. I am currently typing a text to tell her to let me take her on a short hiking trip (sorry Bogan King, but it will be a short day hike) first (you know she may hate it). From there if she likes it spend the $300 on gear instead. My wife and I can show her the basics. We live near the Smokies, not some truly remote wilderness, so I don't understand what you are learning for $300? Most of the stuff they teach sounds like common sense (leave no trace). My only weakness is first aid, and that is a shame since I had many first aid classes in the Marines. Am I missing something here by telling her not to take the class?

I'm not familiar with those particular classes, but they probably spend way too much time on LNT. I dropped a hiking class in college because it turned out that was essentially the only content in the entire course. I just wanted to get credit for hiking, but we weren't even going to go outside all semester. Now if they're going to do stuff like basic knots, how to handle emergency situations (first aid, what to do when lost, how to find water), how to read maps, etc. then that might be more worth the money, but that's still stuff that you can learn on your own.

I like your idea better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Bring food, water, first aid. Don't make a mess. Stay on the trail. If you are alone, be cautious about pushing yourself. There. Give me $300.

I'd be interested in a field class that covers more backpacking type stuff like pitching tarps, recognizing topographic features that are ideal for camping or finding water, navigating unmarked trails without long sight lines, and how to drag yourself to the trailhead with a broken ankle.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 20, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Bogan King posted:

This old xkcd seems topical

You're not hiking if you're not staying out overnight. It's just a walk otherwise. :colbert:

I completely agree, the bar is set too low. Hiking as a qualified activity should at least be an activity equivalent to going to a movie, one and a half to two hours minimum, or at least five miles or more. Otherwise, to me, it's just a walk. I think people would be shocked at what they are really capable if they just stretch themselves a little.

So it looks like my backpacking trip to grayson highlands is going to be a wet one--60-80% rain and thunderstorms every day this weekend. Looks like I'll get a chance to test out whether my old bivy is still waterproof :getin:

Too bad I won't be getting my new one for another month or so... As much as I love cottage industry gear, long lead times suck :negative:

nate fisher posted:

Am I missing something here by telling her not to take the class?

Nope! Unless she's taking a backcountry first responder course, realistically there's not a whole lot you can do first aid wise. I bring liquid bandage, alcohol wipe or two and a little bit of gauze for bleeding, ibuprofen for anti inflammation and pain relief, immodium for giardia (prevent dehydration from diarrhea), moleskin patch for blisters, bendryl for allergic reactions, zinc oxide paste for irritation and chafing, a tick key, clippers, tweezers, and some ace wrap for sprains and junk. That's way over prepared in my book.

As far as other backpacking stuff goes, just know the difference between materials (eg avoid cotton everywhere cause it sucks up water, go with water wicking stuff like artificial fiber/wool), know the ground sucks heat away and you need a pad or something, know you need to treat water and the limitations of whatever method you use, get your pack fitted, and go someplace mild for your first trip, so you can bug out in case you need to and so you can learn lessons about the limitations of your gear for next time. Know you need a mummy style bag, and the difference between down and synthetic (eg down doesn't work when wet, but it's lighter and more compressible). Also don't leave your sleeping bags compressed for long periods of time, it breaks down the insulation. And know about draft tubes to block air from zippers, sewn together spots create cold spots proper baffles can prevent that, etc.

There's a lot of information out there, but not all of it is good.

E: Also get the footwear that is right for you--know the difference between boots and trail runners, and the pros and cons of each. Eg lighter weight is great because one pound on the foot is like five on the back, but if you've got a heavier pack the extra ankle support of a boot is fantastic. Just stuff like that.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 20, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

OSU_Matthew posted:

Also don't leave your sleeping bags compressed for long periods of time, it breaks down the insulation.

People always ask me why I have all those sleeping bags hanging from hooks in my garage.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

nate fisher posted:

Ha! Say that to a person who just climbed 3,500 feet and killed their knees going back down in the same day. That's a hike.

Sorry friend but you went on a long walk.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Speaking of sleeping bags, just taking a break from packing and it's amazing to me how much this Enlightened Equipment bag compressed down.

It feels so nice and warm, and it's really big on me! Also I ordered it green and purple, the Piccolo special.

It's probably not amazing to the pros here but I'm just like... Wow!

http://www.imagebam.com/image/716213544379570

http://www.imagebam.com/image/4cded4544379577

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
down bags are awesome

when do you start?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Sunday! Getting there slowly, trying not to feel too overwhelmed haha

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I don't know how you can sleep. The night before a big trip, I'm usually wide awake and giddy. I will spend hours double checking my gear and then realize, "Holy poo poo, I have to wake up in 3 hours!"

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm still packing! I'm sure I'm gonna forget tons of stuff and probably have way too much food. I guess I'm more worried about the airline losing or breaking my bag on the flight to Georgia (putting it in a large duffel with bubble wrap, but still...).

Edit: here's everything! Sans food and hammock

http://imgur.com/a/hJfWG

Alan_Shore fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 21, 2017

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I forgot, but where are you located at?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

CT right now.

randoark
May 9, 2003
Whoso pulleth this linoleum knife from this milkman is rightwise king born of England!
Just rediscovered this thread, are there a ton of goon thru-hikers in here?! Haven't posted in like 5 years.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

randoark posted:

Just rediscovered this thread, are there a ton of goon thru-hikers in here?! Haven't posted in like 5 years.

Not a ton, but we're here.

PCT 15

randoark
May 9, 2003
Whoso pulleth this linoleum knife from this milkman is rightwise king born of England!

Tigren posted:

Not a ton, but we're here.

PCT 15

Awesome! Good luck to all the PCT thru's out there - I may have met some of you if you passed through Scout & Frodo's this year, my trail name is Barrel Roll and i've been giving rides almost every day to the border and to the local outfitter this year (have helped with third gate water cache and been an overflow driver in years past out here).

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

Edit: here's everything! Sans food and hammock

http://imgur.com/a/hJfWG
I keep forgetting to buy one of those shovels. I should do that now. Also what is that baggie of tokens for below your sawyer filter?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

CopperHound posted:

I keep forgetting to buy one of those shovels. I should do that now. Also what is that baggie of tokens for below your sawyer filter?

That's Guildhall. Hey, you never know!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

nate fisher posted:

Am I missing something here by telling her not to take the class?

Quick addendum, I cobbled together a gear/general faq thread in the hiking subforum that you/she might find helpful

Anyone else feel free to criticize or chip in to the knowledge dump! Talk about gear purchases, ask what kinda helpful gear other goons like, I'll update the OP with anything helpful.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

OSU_Matthew posted:

Quick addendum, I cobbled together a gear/general faq thread in the hiking subforum that you/she might find helpful

Anyone else feel free to criticize or chip in to the knowledge dump! Talk about gear purchases, ask what kinda helpful gear other goons like, I'll update the OP with anything helpful.

Thank you. I will check that out.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I keep forgetting that subform still exists.

Anyone have a line on men's hiking shorts with a really short inseam. I'm talking like seven or eight inches. I still want four pockets, everything I'm finding either has a single tiny pocket on the back or nothing at all. I thought about trying to hem some of the pairs that I already have, but they all have pockets set in a way that would keep me from doing more than raising the hem an inch.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

bongwizzard posted:

I keep forgetting that subform still exists.

Anyone have a line on men's hiking shorts with a really short inseam. I'm talking like seven or eight inches. I still want four pockets, everything I'm finding either has a single tiny pocket on the back or nothing at all. I thought about trying to hem some of the pairs that I already have, but they all have pockets set in a way that would keep me from doing more than raising the hem an inch.

North Face Better Than Naked shorts are kind of in between running shorts and normal shorts - inseams go up to 7" and they have more pockets than most running shorts. Super high quality but not cheap. https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-better-than-naked-shorts-7-ca2a

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I love those shorts. My favorite trail running shorts.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

gohuskies posted:

North Face Better Than Naked shorts are kind of in between running shorts and normal shorts - inseams go up to 7" and they have more pockets than most running shorts. Super high quality but not cheap. https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-better-than-naked-shorts-7-ca2a

This is exactly what I'm looking for, but I forgot to mention I also want belt loops as I am a weirdo who hikes with a tucked in under shirt and a lightweight button up shirt over it.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

bongwizzard posted:

This is exactly what I'm looking for, but I forgot to mention I also want belt loops as I am a weirdo who hikes with a tucked in under shirt and a lightweight button up shirt over it.

You sure as poo poo are a weirdo for doing that. I couldn't see a shirt staying tucked in for more than about 15 minutes of faffing before it came out. Why walk like that?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
To each his own.

Personally I don't hike with shorts ever. Running is fine because I'm moving fast and somehow I seem to never get ticks on me while running. But when hiking I tend to get plenty and so having light colored full pants I can easily flick them off of is a major consideration. Stretch zions are great. I feel like ticks have a tenuous perch on the pants thanks to the dwr coating and it's super easy to flick them off.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Bogan King posted:

You sure as poo poo are a weirdo for doing that. I couldn't see a shirt staying tucked in for more than about 15 minutes of faffing before it came out. Why walk like that?

I tuck a lightweight polyester undershirt into my undies, then a short sleeved button up over it all tucked into my shorts. The belt cinches everything down and unless I'm doing some serious scrambling, I can generally go most of the day without having to reset everything. The weird layering has worked really well as a tick barrier, so I really only have to worry about them coming up my legs or landing on my head/arms. It's also pretty much how I layer for normal dressing, so I guess I'm just used to it?

Definitely a huge fan of collared shirts, both sun protection for my neck when I pop the collar and I really like having a chest pocket for fishing lures or my weed pen. Although more and more and I find myself wearing a long sleeve hooded fishing shirt when hiking. It's really incredibly cool and definitely more comfortable than wearing sunblock slathered all over myself

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 22, 2017

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

to each his own, who among us doesn't have some kind of quirk

bongwizzard posted:

I tuck a lightweight polyester undershirt into my undies

on second thought I

bongwizzard posted:

It's also pretty much how I layer for normal dressing

now hold on just a

bongwizzard posted:

when I pop the collar
:allbuttons:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Under shirt tucked in the undies is the best way I have found to keep both shirts from riding up but I'm at work. In the pot collar is excellent for keeping the sun off my neck, if I'm worried about getting sunburned of the woods, I'm generally not super concerned what I look like.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

You had me at tick layer. Be as weird as you like if it is going to stop you getting those guys on. Thankfully they're not really a problem here in glorious :australia: for the most part (probably because everything else eats them).

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I just went to the outdoor research warehouse sale today. I got there 30 minutes early and had to wait about an hour and a half before I got in. The line started forming around 7 (it opened at 9). I still managed to pick up a bunch of great stuff. Everything was $50 or less.

Goretex Pro - 3 layer shell ($50), Goretex Active - 3 layer shell ($50), a hooded soft shell jacket ($40), some deer skin ski gloves ($20) and gaiters for my wife ($10). All new with tags for less than $175.

I was mid way through the line by the time they opened but some of the first people got insane deals. They were walking out with boxes full of goretex pro shells ($350-500 new) and ski pants/ jackets with recco tags for $50 each. They probably outfit themselves with jackets for a lifetime. It was already picked over by the time I got in and nothing was organized.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

bongwizzard posted:

I would be surprised if there is a retailer in the galaxy that sells activewear shorts with a 7" inseam and belt loops.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

gohuskies posted:

I would be surprised if there is a retailer in the galaxy that sells activewear shorts with a 7" inseam and belt loops.

Yeah, I have never actually found anything remotely like that. I think my only hope is to find a pair of normal hiking shorts with pockets cut so that I can get them hemmed really far up.

Last spring was the first time I bought a pair of shorts with the hem significantly above my knee, and now I just want that hemline to creep up up up!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
get handy and sew some belt loops on to your booty shorts

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I'm trying to pull together a compilation of great places to hike or backpack by state, so if anyone has someplace that they've visited and would recommend to others, please post your favorite spots here, for the benefit of all goonkind! :justpost:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

OSU_Matthew posted:

I'm trying to pull together a compilation of great places to hike or backpack by state, so if anyone has someplace that they've visited and would recommend to others, please post your favorite spots here, for the benefit of all goonkind! :justpost:

When I get some free time I will do a write up on East Tennessee and Western North Carolina. I know the Smokies pretty good, and several other locations (places like Roan Mountain, Linville Gorge, Grandfather Mountain, etc.).

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

get handy and sew some belt loops on to your booty shorts

I think it's probably easier to just raise the hem on normal shorts, I just need to find a pair with sufficiently shallow pockets.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I just went to favorite Internet search engine and typed in "mens hiking shorts 5 inch inseam" and got results, plural, that have belt loops and four pockets. What am I missing?

Just get some BDU shorts and hem them to whatever length?

And there's more than one result with belt loops for men's short shorts, but some of those are leather. :ssh:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

bongwizzard posted:

Just hike in these, it's got everything you want.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Only problem is that it is cotton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copen
Feb 2, 2003
http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/mens/clothing/pants-and-shorts/activist-men-s-shorter-length-hiking-shorts-v4.html

Gotta go to New Zealand for your short shorts. But yeah most of the short inseam mens shorts don't have belt loops.