Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

COMRADES posted:

Frankly it's amazing to me how little awareness the average person has of what is going on and why just south of the border while at the same time they are mad about illegal immigration.

Like hey maybe don't nonstop gently caress with all of Latin America and they wouldn't all be trying to flee.

"WE NEED TO BOMB THE MIDDLE EAST, NUKE IT, WAIT WHAT DO YOU MEAN PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO FLEE AND COME HERE, MY EUROPEAN ANCESTORS WOULD HAVE STAYED AND FOUGHT FOR THEIR HOMELANDS UNDER THE MOST AWFUL OF CONDITIONS UNLIKE THESE SUBHUMAN COWARDS"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Bill did a lot of talking about his gut feelings and then getting politely told by Mook to shut up grandpa we win elections in Excel these days. Also he had a habit of cocking up (the fight over "superpredators" with the BLM guys, popping in on Loretta Lynch for a chat, calling ACA the craziest thing in the world) and generally it seems like everyone felt it was too different a race from the ones in the 90s for him to be of much use. To be fair it was a really different race, but lol at trusting a 30-year-old nerd about how to become president over a guy who became president.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Mordor She Wrote posted:

"WE NEED TO BOMB THE MIDDLE EAST, NUKE IT, WAIT WHAT DO YOU MEAN PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO FLEE AND COME HERE, MY EUROPEAN ANCESTORS WOULD HAVE STAYED AND FOUGHT FOR THEIR HOMELANDS UNDER THE MOST AWFUL OF CONDITIONS UNLIKE THESE SUBHUMAN COWARDS"

Sir I think your keyboard is malfunctioning. Would you like me to call AAA or OnStar?

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
The more I read these excerpts, the more I see that she somewhat hobbled by Showtime Period Drama levels of court intrigue amongst her key staff. Like she was a dumb and terrible candidate with no vision, but what the gently caress. Why is Bill, a man who was elected President of the United States, being straight up loving ignored? Why are so many key staff members trying to butt in on the main speechwriter, who basically just needed Obama for input when he was working with him. Favreau eventually just drops out since he can't get any good work done.

quote:

Hillary didn’t have a vision to articulate. And no one else could give one to her. In fact, the more people she assigned to the task of setting the tone for her campaign, the more muddled her message became. The list of writers on the first address included, but was not limited to, Schwerin, Muscatine, ]Favreau, Benenson, Mook, Palmieri, Podesta, Grunwald, Sullivan, and Schake, who was Michelle Obama’s image maven before joining the Clinton campaign.

Frustrated with the process and the product, Favreau dropped out about a week before Clinton stepped to the podium. As a parting shot, he delivered to Benenson and Palmieri a frank assessment of the shortcomings of the operation and the speech. It was coming in way too long, lacked a central rationale for why Hillary was running for president, and sounded enough like standard Democratic pablum that, with the exception of the biographical details, it could have been delivered by anyone in the party. Beyond that, it was the product of a write-by-committee paradigm that never would have passed muster in either of the Obama campaigns. There was no strong leader running the show.

I kinda agree with Panzeh that there's a real focus on Mook throughout all these excerpts. He was the loving campaign manager though, so the idea of him coming out smelling like roses is :lol:. Maybe that's why he's the scapegoat, just dump loving everything on the dude and hope as little poo poo sticks to the others as possible.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 20, 2017

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Deservedly smug.

Not when your lose to Trump.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

Sorry, basement weirdoes of SA, but I've spent the last ten years being forced to work with normal folks, many of which do not have college degrees and a fair number of which don't have highschool degrees either, and they do not loving know who Pinochet was.

The ivory tower, is you.

lol

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

"being forced to work with normal folks" is a real nice touch, tbh

really adds a certain je ne sais quoi

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

drat I didn't notice the normies bit. JFC.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Granted the most infuriatingly dumb smart people I know are STEMS.

The most infuriatingly dumb and terrible people I know almost always work in sales and marketing.

This is followed by people who are humanities majors because they were busy doing English, Theatre, Art Appreciation and Women's Studies and have no actual useful skills or knowledge applicable to the real world. Seriously, if you aren't going to college to get useful skills, you're wasting your money.

I'm very interested in History and Paleontology but I also kinda wanted to be able to get a job, too.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

VikingSkull posted:

lol

I'm an autistic opionated overeducated entitled liberal white millennial who lives in Portland AMA about how the world works and is supposed to be (you see I am smarter than a phd because I have heard of a historical figure.)

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

Hillary accidentally bumped into me and said "pardon me".

:perfect:

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Man, that's BRUTAL.
Good job.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
red dress lady is worth clicking that alone

you'll see what I mean

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

My continued consolation for the next 8 years is sure knowledge that Hillary would have governed as badly as she campaigned

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

Oh yeah I'm sure you just love the poor

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Granted the most infuriatingly dumb smart people I know are STEMS.

Everyone is dumb about almost everything except maybe not the things they are focused on and do for a living. Lots of people are still dumb about those things too.

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

My continued consolation for the next 8 years is sure knowledge that Hillary would have governed as badly as she campaigned

Yeah I still think Trump was the lesser of two evils though I threw away my vote on someone who got sub 1% as usual. His comical ineptitude and the way in which he is openly sold out is really good for making people lose all faith in our piece of poo poo government's ability to serve its people, as is correct. That needs to be the prevailing and violently backed opinion before anything changes.

The city folk where I live and the rurals working in the factories I work at both generally hate our idiot government and that's a great thing.

Also why are you all engaging with Pick.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

God all these loving normals I wish they would be a rare smarty like me.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Pick posted:

considering I think they should eat the rich, yes

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

lol

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I don't think I've seen the whole thing before. He's in a venue surrounded by enemies and he's meek until they all think he's given into their holy jerkoff fest, and then he gets vicious as soon as they think they've got him cowed.

That campaign was the funniest 2 years in all of history.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Love the poors? What are you some kind of loving moron?

Now let my tell you why my phd havin friends dont have a job

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Pick posted:

It's always weird when SA talks about the poor like we're not here

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

If you work the same job as the poors what does that make you?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
goddamn these poors voting against their self interest, why won't they vote for the side who loving hates them as much as I do, it's in their interests

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

VikingSkull posted:

goddamn these poors voting against their self interest, why won't they vote for the side who loving hates them as much as I do, it's in their interests

you can hate them and still have their interests in mind. I mean poo poo that's probably the mindset of every parent that raised a goon.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Why can't you just hate everyone but hate the rich a bit extra?

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles

Mordor She Wrote posted:

you can hate them and still have their interests in mind

No I'm pretty sure you can't, especially when "them" is the public and you are are an elected public official

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

JB50 posted:

If you work the same job as the poors what does that make you?

daddy is rich ;-*

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

skasion posted:

Bill did a lot of talking about his gut feelings and then getting politely told by Mook to shut up grandpa we win elections in Excel these days. Also he had a habit of cocking up (the fight over "superpredators" with the BLM guys, popping in on Loretta Lynch for a chat, calling ACA the craziest thing in the world) and generally it seems like everyone felt it was too different a race from the ones in the 90s for him to be of much use. To be fair it was a really different race, but lol at trusting a 30-year-old nerd about how to become president over a guy who became president.

Yeah, how do you get to a position of power and authority by ignoring older people who've actually done it before? I strongly believe that being able to learn, and take advice, from others is a marker for future success.

Saw a 20 year old dude get twisted into a pretzel sparring with a 60+ year old woman because her technique was so good the other day. What I'm saying is they're idiots for ignoring Bill Clinton. I despise the man, but even I know that he's a lvl 100 grandmaster people person (and if I ever met him in person he'd probably be able to get me to like him).

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pick posted:

Hillary Clinton doesn't. They have no money you see.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
One of the issues with the campaign listening to Bill is that I got the sense that most hardcore Hillary supporters loving hated him, both because of the whole infidelity / sexual assault thing and because they saw it as necessary for Hillary to stand on her own and not in his shadow. The exception here being the Wonkette woman who wrote that hilarious 'Bill probably didn't rape anyone and now he's my feminist bae' article during the general.

Grumpo
Mar 21, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah, how do you get to a position of power and authority by ignoring older people who've actually done it before? I strongly believe that being able to learn, and take advice, from others is a marker for future success.

Saw a 20 year old dude get twisted into a pretzel sparring with a 60+ year old woman because her technique was so good the other day. What I'm saying is they're idiots for ignoring Bill Clinton. I despise the man, but even I know that he's a lvl 100 grandmaster people person (and if I ever met him in person he'd probably be able to get me to like him).

Yeah I don't really like Bill either but it was totally stupid of them not to involve him. If third terms were a thing and he was running I would be interested in seeing a modern Bill Clinton campaign.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

COMRADES posted:

A good chunk of the population can't even name the countries bordering the US and would probably assume Pinochet was some kind of food item or maybe a card game.

I bet they would remember that his nose grows when he lies though.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
That excerpt where Hillary's debate coach tells her during prep that she made a mistake in one of her answers and her response: "fine, you do it." But then she actually makes him pretend to be HRC while she berates and tears him down is both Mad-Queen levels of maniacal and poetically emblematic of how nobody can fail Hillary harder than she has failed herself.

I wonder if in that moment she secretly relished the chance to vicariously attack her disappointing self

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

COMRADES posted:

would probably assume Pinochet was some kind of food item

Isn't it a type of chile?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Toadvine posted:

That excerpt where Hillary's debate coach tells her during prep that she made a mistake in one of her answers and her response: "fine, you do it." But then she actually makes him pretend to be HRC while she berates and tears him down is both Mad-Queen levels of maniacal and poetically emblematic of how nobody can fail Hillary harder than she has failed herself.

I wonder if in that moment she secretly relished the chance to vicariously attack her disappointing self

Totally. The book makes it seem like she doesn't identify at all with her public persona and despises herself.

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

white primer uber alles
Hillary? More like Hitlery

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Howlery Clownton

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

skasion posted:

Her hosed up campaign staff honestly reminds me of how the Nazi government was structured, with multiple levels of redundant bureaucracy and overlapping portfolios that got to do their jobs or not based solely on how well they could talk poo poo about one another and suck up to Hitler. But at least Hitler purged the underlings he was sick of.

The whole time I was reading your post I kept thinking of "Working Towards the Führer". Tell me this doesn't look familiar:

A Literal Nazi posted:

Everyone who has the opportunity to observe it knows that the Führer can hardly dictate from above everything which he intends to realise sooner or later. On the contrary, up till now everyone with a post in the new Germany has worked best when he has, so to speak, worked towards the Führer. Very often and in many spheres it has been the case—in previous years as well—that individuals have simply waited for orders and instructions. Unfortunately, the same will be true in the future; but in fact it is the duty of everybody to try to work towards the Führer along the lines he would wish. Anyone who makes mistakes will notice it soon enough. But anyone who really works towards the Führer along his lines and towards his goal will certainly both now and in the future one day have the finest reward in the form of the sudden legal confirmation of his work​.

The dynamic this government official described occurred throughout the German government. Hitler stated goals and provided guidelines, and then he either appointed specific individuals to ensure that his goals were realized, or he let government bureaucrats and Nazi Party officials figure it out themselves. According to Kershaw, this process of “working toward the Führer” played out not just within the government but also across German society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Faillary

• Locked thread