Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rough Lobster posted:

The best part of Perseverance is that weak attacks and enemies bounce right off you like you're made of Greatshield. This includes dogs and rapier wielding players.
That sounds hilarious :allears:

Does Perseverance disappear if you switch weapons? I bet it would be a ton of fun to use with a fast, spin-y weapon like the Dancer's swords. Just be a tornado of death :getin: Speaking of the Dancer's swords, I know they're bad due to the nature of split damage but what kind of build would work best for them? Those weapons are so incredibly cool and I really want them to be good... They seem to suffer the same problem that a lot of paired weapons do though, no poise and often can't stagger the enemy, making the long chain attacks worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Falling Bolt and Wind Wheel.

Falling Bolt is the hardest hitting lightning thing in the game, and costs less than any lightning spell. Wind wheel makes you a helicopter.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing offline for a couple of days, and upon going online again steam is now downloading a 185MB patch to DS3. What patch is this? :confused:

Maleh-Vor posted:

Falling Bolt and Wind Wheel.

Falling Bolt is the hardest hitting lightning thing in the game, and costs less than any lightning spell. Wind wheel makes you a helicopter.

Oh yeah, Falling Bolt is pretty great! I used the Dragonslayer Swordspear from I got it to the end of the game (and DLCs) on my first character and it definitely deals some damage. I also like those weapon arts that do a useful attack and buff your weapon. The Firelink Greatsword has a similarly useful ability, it can hit (multiple) enemies multiple times if you time it right and it gives you a fire buff :swoon:

Wind Wheel felt completely useless in PvE though. The spin does no poise damage and the flashy moves out of it are hard to space, easy to get knocked out of and deals less damage than an R1...

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

veni veni veni posted:

Why hold out? you can buy the game and DLC for the same price a GOTY version would cost or less already.

I have been wondering if there will be a Scholar of the First Sin type edition for DS3. It changed some parts of the game, mostly for the better, and adds a better ending. DS3 really needs that.

NG+ hasn't been very interesting, the only differences being barely stronger enemies, different soul items to pick up, and rings +1/+2.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

And +1 and +2 is obsolete now

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

And +1 and +2 is obsolete now

I really don't get the decision to put +3 rings in your first playthrough of TRC. Was From hoping to sell power or something?

This just makes me wish the game would get a SotFS upgrade for existing owners even more so they can streamline the whole thing. Imagine the swamp in Farron Keep, except with black phantom versions of those goat-shamans of death. That'd be horrifying.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Node posted:

I really don't get the decision to put +3 rings in your first playthrough of TRC. Was From hoping to sell power or something?
probably more to do with not wanting to lock the best gear behind playing the game over 3 times in a row on the same character, which I greatly appreciate

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It'd be a pain in my rear end. Those jumping ones are badly designed as far as I'm concerned.
Not having to spend 60 more hours to optimize my rings for PvP is actually cool, and extremely good.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Lol at using the sunlight talisman. The canvas has enough poise and better spell buff

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Node posted:

This just makes me wish the game would get a SotFS upgrade for existing owners even more so they can streamline the whole thing. Imagine the swamp in Farron Keep, except with black phantom versions of those goat-shamans of death. That'd be horrifying.

They needed a +3 sage ring too.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Horsehoof Ring +3 that sends kicked players flying for twenty feet.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

They needed a +3 sage ring too.

Yeah :(

Node posted:

Yeah! :black101:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Node posted:

I was so sad when I tried the horsehoof ring and discovered that it did not turn your kick into a launch.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Another regret about this game I have, and feel free to disagree, is that there isn't enough of Lothric in it. You have the High Wall section, and the castle section. Both offer beautiful vistas, and you only get to visit 2% of the city. Personally I would have loved if you go back to new sections of the city two or three more times.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wasn't there some bogus analysis of DS3 prior to launch that claimed you could visit every part of Lothric you see

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Internet Kraken posted:

Wasn't there some bogus analysis of DS3 prior to launch that claimed you could visit every part of Lothric you see

You can! In theory. If they designed levels around them. But totally!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why is it called the ringed city anyways? Cause there are so many +3 rings in it?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

There was also the whole "You can plant your own bonfires" mechanic that was discussed early on. Early souls footage are always rife with misinformation/misanalysis it seems.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Node posted:

Another regret about this game I have, and feel free to disagree, is that there isn't enough of Lothric in it. You have the High Wall section, and the castle section. Both offer beautiful vistas, and you only get to visit 2% of the city. Personally I would have loved if you go back to new sections of the city two or three more times.

the undead settlement was prob my favorite area because of how could explore everything.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Kl4H2x1d8

After a thousand hours of playing Dark Souls 1, I finally, finally got this to happen. Oh also there's something at the end of the video but you can ignore that if you want

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there some sort of Aldrich Pro Strategy out there?

I hate that fight so much, and I just realized why. In playthroughs I've watched, he's done all sorts of moves but when I fight him he always does exactly the same thing:

- Start in the middle back half of the room
- After a few hits, teleport to lower right corner and shoot arrows
- After a few hits, teleport to the upper left corner and shoot arrows
- After a few hits, teleport to the lower right corner and shoot arrows
- Literally rinse and repeat until dead

It's like my game is cursed. Ever since my first run of DS3 this is how the fight has gone, and barring some bizzare one-person bug there must be something about the way I'm attacking him or positioning myself subconsciously that forces him into this pattern. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong :negative: I know he likes to do the arrow move when you're far away, but I can never not be far away since he'll always move to the opposite corner of the room (and then shoot more arrows).

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

You can spam twisted wall of light. He seemed to really like melee when I had a catalyst out. Like how Vilhelm will shut off his own healing even if you bring only heal aid with you.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Alva in the DLC was WAY easier than Alva in irrthyl dungeon for some reason.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

You can spam twisted wall of light. He seemed to really like melee when I had a catalyst out. Like how Vilhelm will shut off his own healing even if you bring only heal aid with you.

That actually sounds like a hilarious solution :haw:

I've gotten good at dodging his homing arrow and he's pretty squishy (heh) so it's not like it's a hard fight, it just... doesn't feel any fun and killing him doesn't feel cool at all. At least the gimmick bosses like Yhorm and Wolnir have the "gently caress yeah" factor of knowing their gimmicks and just annihilating them.

Speaking of Aldrich, I think I found to break Anri's questline that I didn't know about. I killed Yuria early in the game (took Yoel's levels, cured sigil, killed Yuria), so that questline was off the table from before the Abyss Watchers, and I followed Anri around like normal (killing Horace, etc.). I met Anri in Yorshka's church where he told me to stay strong and we got our duties blah blah, but I forgot to check for/kill the pilgrim in the corner. I realized I had forgotten the pilgrim once I reached Aldrich and didn't find a prism stone, but after going back it seems like the pilgrim is nowhere to be found. Darkmoon Tomb is empty, church is empty, Anri never went hollow or got killed. It's like he just vanished :iiam:

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
I made my regular old long sword a regular old heavy long sword

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
If you have equal amounts of strength and dexterity, is the heavy or sharp infusion worse or better than refined?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Node posted:

If you have equal amounts of strength and dexterity, is the heavy or sharp infusion worse or better than refined?

Sharp can sometimes be better than Refined. Plug things into https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/weapons and just find out what you want. Hammers are fairly good Sharp, which is amusing.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 20, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah killing the pilgrim is the only way to continue the quest that way. Even if Yuria is dead or pissed and it's not happening the other way

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Your Computer posted:

Really? :saddowns: I thought I found a super unique and cool weapon. Wasn't everyone doing STR or using a katana back then?

I meant the first week or so, back before people knew where stuff was. That's what I ran on my first playthrough, just because that was the only good poo poo i could find for my dex guy. Seemed like everyone in the thread did too.

Part of it i think is that pretty much everyone will see the furysword in their shop menu the first time they meet the giant blacksmith, because you're guaranteed to have two of the three things you need to make it (Q's soul and demon titanite), and its numbers look insane since you don't know how splitting damage types works, and if you've been leaning on the drake sword or the lightning spear you probably hit a brick wall at O+S and the option to get a real bad rear end fire sword looks very appealing.

I still kind of agree with your original point. All the variant weapons with slightly different stats and all the Sharp / Heavy / Luck / Bleed / Whatever infusions make it seem like you have a ton of options, but actually there is one objectively "best" way to do it depending on your build, so it;s all complicated enough to make any decision seem risky but not complex enough to reward experimentation.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Your Computer posted:

Is there some sort of Aldrich Pro Strategy out there?

I hate that fight so much, and I just realized why. In playthroughs I've watched, he's done all sorts of moves but when I fight him he always does exactly the same thing:

- Start in the middle back half of the room
- After a few hits, teleport to lower right corner and shoot arrows
- After a few hits, teleport to the upper left corner and shoot arrows
- After a few hits, teleport to the lower right corner and shoot arrows
- Literally rinse and repeat until dead

It's like my game is cursed. Ever since my first run of DS3 this is how the fight has gone, and barring some bizzare one-person bug there must be something about the way I'm attacking him or positioning myself subconsciously that forces him into this pattern. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong :negative: I know he likes to do the arrow move when you're far away, but I can never not be far away since he'll always move to the opposite corner of the room (and then shoot more arrows).

Hit it with your sword. Hit it real hard. Run away when he does arrows. Hit him again when he pops out from underground?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

veni veni veni posted:

Why is it called the ringed city anyways? Cause there are so many +3 rings in it?
the huge ring shaped cliff around the entire thing dawg

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My general tip for Aldrich is to not even try to hit Gwyndolin. Swing at the slug butt sticking out of the ground behind him.

edit: Also, there's a tiny waiting period between when he goes into the ground and pops out again where the game is deciding where to plop him next. Like with the Crystal Sage, you can game it a bit by intentionally running to one general area to ensure he won't pop up there.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Node posted:

Frankly I think you spend way too long there. The place just isn't very interesting.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
Is there some generally accepted knowledge on good quality build ultra greatswords? I've started a new quality knight to play through all the DLC, and feel like going LARGE SWORD :black101: instead of just beating the whole game with my starting long sword again.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does the Frayed Blade weapon art (anime multi-slash attack) count for the Pontiff rings and Carthus Beacon? Might be fun, since it hits a ton of times in a very short window. With a lot of FP (and assuming the rings work), I bet you could get through the game just spamming that :haw:

Nuebot posted:

Hit it with your sword. Hit it real hard. Run away when he does arrows. Hit him again when he pops out from underground?

That's what I've been doing, but a damage-race boss isn't very fun :(

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I got Midir down last night by cheesing him with Pestilent Mercury, I can not imagine actually fighting him without a spell that does %HP damage. Beat Gael again also, and goddamn do I love the music in the 2nd phase. The title screen music is some of my favorite game music, and Gael's fight takes that and makes it frantic as hell.

Just as I was getting bored of this game again I switched to a pyro build, and now I'm thinking I might just go through on NG5 and play it again.

BabelFish posted:

Is there some generally accepted knowledge on good quality build ultra greatswords? I've started a new quality knight to play through all the DLC, and feel like going LARGE SWORD :black101: instead of just beating the whole game with my starting long sword again.

Exile sword is good and be gotten early, along with Astora Great Sword. Both are in Farron Swamp. 40/40 is your general build, with a lot in Endurance and Vitality to your choosing.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Your Computer posted:

Thread, what do you consider to be the coolest, most useful and/or weapon arts? (for PvE)

Any WA with hyperarmor is good for shieldless runs so you don't have to be careful around thralls and dogs. Anything that spins is great since it has hyperarmor and you can pretty much always full combo PvE targets. Perserverance and Straight Sword stance are solid workhorse weapon arts that are regularly good in PvE, not especially cool though.

Personally I think STOMP is a great PvE weapon art since it is the coolest, has increased hyperarmor, you get some neat moments where you duck under boss attacks, and you can actually hit things with it in PvE unlike PvP.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How have you guys felt about the ring knight straight sword? That weapon art is so cool but it feels a bit gimmicky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
its a straight sword so its good but its not a super meta weapon in PVP. probably neat in PVE