Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Iverron posted:

HackerRank not showing why a test failed in the middle of a timed interview quiz is highly stressful.

protip when they send you a link to a hackerrank send them back an email that says "we've decided to take this job search in a different direction, thanks for your time, dont email, peace"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
I have absolutely 0 experience programming and all of it is in marketing / community management / pr / communications.

does anyone want to see what happens if I change my linkedin to say Senior Full Stack Engineer at... hmm, i dunno, i don't want to fake working at a real company. maybe consulting?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Beast of Bourbon posted:

I have absolutely 0 experience programming and all of it is in marketing / community management / pr / communications.

does anyone want to see what happens if I change my linkedin to say Senior Full Stack Engineer at... hmm, i dunno, i don't want to fake working at a real company. maybe consulting?

change it to "product evangelist" or something

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hobbesmaster posted:

good to see that LinkedIn had fully integrated with MS now

nah, they were poo poo before that. the Microsoft purchase actually made them better (but still poo poo)

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

i bet linked could sell "organizational health" metrics crudely based on "how many employees are desperately updating/reaching out to network/etc."

lol if they dont

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

the one time I want to use the LinkedIn jobs site it is hopelessly broken. literally can't apply for a job from the site or the app. this is your entire loving purpose LinkedIn, jfc

LinkedIn is a social network for thinkfluencers to evangelize their Hot Takes and people to build even more superfluous professional networks than they ever would in real life now, what's this job ads thing

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

lancemantis posted:

LinkedIn is a social network for thinkfluencers to evangelize their Hot Takes and people to build even more superfluous professional networks than they ever would in real life now, what's this job ads thing

LinkedIn is Facebook for people with phone holsters

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

LinkedIn is Facebook for people with phone holsters

:perfect:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
LinkedIn is for finding out where your colleagues went to and then hitting them up for jobs. also a bunch of self marketers will post stupid poo poo there but I don't know why anyone would want to read any of that.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i saw a previous financial planner comment on a thinkfluencer's story about his daughter getting a media/content gig at a place she'd started a decade ago as a janitor

so this super heartwarming meritocratic story, except it's at the creationism museum

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
had my second technical interview which seemed to go well. now to hear they're going to offer me below market to crush my dreams of escaping florida :smith:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

PierreTheMime posted:

had my second technical interview which seemed to go well. now to hear they're going to offer me below market to crush my dreams of escaping florida :smith:

like, if it gets you out of florida you can do it and then leave

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
the housing costs in nyc are soulcrushing so I dunno. not a huge fan of pulling the 4-person family in a 1br-1b on a four story walkup scenario

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

PierreTheMime posted:

the housing costs in nyc are soulcrushing so I dunno. not a huge fan of pulling the 4-person family in a 1br-1b on a four story walkup scenario

how many figgies?

living in a 2br-1b walkup would be a totally reasonable thing an upper middle class computer toucher 4 person family would do in NYC

CoL is a retarded equivalency because dumb people do the math like: 'I live in a 3k sft house, my mortgage is $1500/mo thus in NYC I would need to pay $15000 a month for 3k sft in SoHo, I make 70k, thus I should make 700k in NYC' :riker:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

PierreTheMime posted:

oh yeah, if it doesnt make sense then don't do it.

i'm just going against the usual grain of this thread and saying sometimes it is acceptable to make compromises if it gets you where you wanna be.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

isn't rent in the SF area like $3k for a non-garbage 1BR? This article is claiming that but they're obviously kinda biased

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DuckConference posted:

isn't rent in the SF area like $3k for a non-garbage 1BR? This article is claiming that but they're obviously kinda biased

that sounds about right. its around $2500 in san jose, so id imagine it's more in sf

well, i dunno about non-garbage. but last time i looked, a 1br (i.e. not a studio) was around that much

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Just have your parents pay the rent duh

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
i just quit my job by sending my resignation letter to the wrong printer, and that printers owner scanned it and emailed it out to the whole company

this is literally the first thing i've printed while working here, and setting up printers from ubuntu is a pita

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

ideal resignation actually

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
in your exit interview explain how the Linux creates a hostile work environment.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Twerk from Home posted:

i just quit my job by sending my resignation letter to the wrong printer, and that printers owner scanned it and emailed it out to the whole company

this is literally the first thing i've printed while working here, and setting up printers from ubuntu is a pita

that owns

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

reminds me of

Bloody posted:

so I may have accidentally emailed my boss/boss's boss/HR my signed offer letter instead of my signed notice of termination today

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

:boom:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i've gone from weeks of no interest at all to 3 interviews in 2 days with 1 scheduling conflict i have to resolve.

life's funny.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

that owns

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

post/solution to problem as username combo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Twerk from Home posted:

lmao. kind of a dick move by your former colleague but whatever. also you know you can resign over email, right?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The Management posted:

lmao. kind of a dick move by your former colleague but whatever. also you know you can resign over email, right?

my manager had recommended that i keep it physical so that it doesn't end up getting forwarded around

i implemented that suggestion

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

my manager had recommended that i keep it physical so that it doesn't end up getting forwarded around

lol what the gently caress? who would you email it to except your manager??? are they just afraid they cant contain the secret business

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

lol what the gently caress? who would you email it to except your manager??? are they just afraid they cant contain the secret business

he needed a hard copy for records, he's known i was leaving for weeks

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

printers owner scanned it and emailed it out to the whole company

is this middle school?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

quote:

It makes me feel proud that Canada has been North America’s up-and-coming startup center since I graduated from Waterloo over 20 years ago. That's a solid, consistent track record of almost being there.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
They made this totally awesome app but then after waiting 45 minutes for the backend to finish uploading to aws over their 56k modem they decided that maybe this wasn't going to pan out

Iverron
May 13, 2012

jony neuemonic posted:

i've gone from weeks of no interest at all to 3 interviews in 2 days with 1 scheduling conflict i have to resolve.

life's funny.

this has been life, off and on, for 3 months now

the step after 3 interviews is radio silence followed by maybe a rejection email 3 weeks later when I've forgotten who they were

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Got promoted today. Job search deferred.

Need to wait a week to hear the official comp change amount but from looking at our internal pay sharing spreadsheet I can expect ~25k more in salary, a similar amount in bonus, and a similar amount in additional yearly RSU grants.

:toot:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

JawnV6 posted:

i saw a previous financial planner comment on a thinkfluencer's story about his daughter getting a media/content gig at a place she'd started a decade ago as a janitor

so this super heartwarming meritocratic story, except it's at the creationism museum

lmao

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

ShadowHawk posted:

Got promoted today. Job search deferred.

Need to wait a week to hear the official comp change amount but from looking at our internal pay sharing spreadsheet I can expect ~25k more in salary, a similar amount in bonus, and a similar amount in additional yearly RSU grants.

:toot:

same. its good

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Iverron posted:

this has been life, off and on, for 3 months now

the step after 3 interviews is radio silence followed by maybe a rejection email 3 weeks later when I've forgotten who they were

is this the month and/or quarter turning over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Twerk from Home posted:

a resignation letter shouldn't be more than "I resign (job) as of (date)", who cares if it gets forwarded around

• Locked thread