Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Remember the sheer amount of horror and vitriol Marilyn Manson generated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Moral panic practically.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i loving hate the black keys

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I was gonna go with Korn

boom na da noom na na nema
Da boom na da noom na namena
Da boom na ba noom na namena
Da boom na da noom na namena

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oh definitely moral panic.
Plus there was nine inch nails

oh I just remembered goths. Like, when being a goth was a new thing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kalli posted:

Remember the sheer amount of horror and vitriol Marilyn Manson generated?

He was on every Oprah style talk show in the goddamn country lol. They gave him so much publicity, it was ridiculous. It still seems surreal that they tried to pin Columbine on him based on absolutely nothing.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Volkerball posted:

He was on every Oprah style talk show in the goddamn country lol. They gave him so much publicity, it was ridiculous. It still seems surreal that they tried to pin Columbine on him based on absolutely nothing.

That and video games!

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Leperflesh posted:

oh definitely moral panic.
Plus there was nine inch nails

oh I just remembered goths. Like, when being a goth was a new thing.
Trenchcoat Mafia

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

he was soft-spoken and calm and nice in interviews which was just so incongruous that 1990s parents couldn't cope

e. Manson, I mean

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Volkerball posted:

they went after KMFDM more but they didn't try to milk it as much as he did

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

swickles posted:

That and video games!

I remember growing up in Illinois Blagojevich was one of the biggest moral crusaders about grand theft auto and violent video games corrupting are kids, then he winds up in loving prison for being a corrupt piece of poo poo. What an rear end.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Alaois posted:

i loving hate the black keys

I think the drummer is p. good

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

he was soft-spoken and calm and nice in interviews which was just so incongruous that 1990s parents couldn't cope

e. Manson, I mean

We were watching the news fearmonger about him once over dinner and my father went "yeah, that's just KISS's act" and shrugged.

Alaois posted:

they went after KMFDM more but they didn't try to milk it as much as he did

All the KMFDM music videos were just that weird brutalist art style over guys screaming into powertools so it didn't work like an androgynous weirdo in too much makeup crawling around a dirty 19th century sanitarium. You play a three second clip of that and parents get the deal.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Rammstein loving ruled too, and still rules, and I'm seeing them again in 2 months. :w00t:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I was introduced to most music in the mid to late 90s by watching the credits of Daria episodes

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think the drummer is p. good

do you have an example of a Black Keys song where the drums actually stand out because I'm curious

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4KN-bIcdBs

The worst tribute song ever made.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vyZK_CKkZo

I always enjoy weirdos making talk show hosts look foolish for trying to deconstruct their weirdness and treating them differently from a more usual guest.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

and we are legally required to mention Smashing Pumpkins and Green Day, the music I would admit to my parents I listened to while hiding all the rap and KMFDM cd's.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kalli posted:

We were watching the news fearmonger about him once over dinner and my father went "yeah, that's just KISS's act" and shrugged.

I'd have said Alice Cooper, but yeah.

Though come to think of it, did Manson ever say to literally blow up your school like Alice Cooper did? :black101:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Never even heard of kmfdm.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Fred Durst produced a rock version of this that's 1000 times worse

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Kalli posted:

and we are legally required to mention Smashing Pumpkins and Green Day, the music I would admit to my parents I listened to while hiding all the rap and KMFDM cd's.

My high school years I was super into rap so it was all Tupac, BIG, Dre, Nas, Jay Z, Mobb Deep, Snoop, and of course Bone Thugz.

I used to listen to the cd's in my car with the portable cd player that would loving skip if your car ran over a leaf.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Kalli posted:

Smashing Pumpkons were a half-decent band ruined by Billy Corrigan's dry fart of a voice.

Edit: I still like KMFDM, although they stylistically never left the mid to late nineties.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kalli posted:

I asked for CDs of Master of Puppets and Primus' Pork Soda for my birthday to cover for my stash of the doors, heart, and led zeppelin. I didn't want my parents to know I actually liked their generation's music.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Never even heard of kmfdm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW955QUgx88

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Quiet Feet posted:

Smashing Pumpkons were a half-decent band ruined by Billy Corrigan's dry fart of a voice.
It amuses me that Corrigan is better known these days as the fat baby man who used to be in TNA

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
My favorite part of rap-metal was Eminem desperately trying to not be associated with them and failing.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Eli Wiggum posted:

While I don't doubt that a worse version exists I plan on living the rest of my life not experiencing it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

No Irish Need Imply posted:

My favorite part of rap-metal was Eminem desperately trying to not be associated with them and failing.

My favorite part was ice cube and snoop dogg and dr dre trying to get associated with it and making bank

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Uterine Lineup posted:

While I don't doubt that a worse version exists I plan on living the rest of my life not experiencing it.
This is the exact reason I have never watched "2 Girls 1 Cup" to this very day

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Eli Wiggum posted:

He also covered Behind Blue Eyes.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Volkerball posted:

My favorite part was ice cube and snoop dogg and dr dre trying to get associated with it and making bank
I forgot about that and yes, that did own. Shout out to the Anger Management tour, which was nowhere near as cool as the Up In Smoke tour.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

sean10mm posted:

Yep, I remember that one as well. I wonder how much he paid Halle Berry to make out with him in the video

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

sean10mm posted:

A uh...friend...of mine...really likes that cover.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

No Irish Need Imply posted:

I forgot about that and yes, that did own. Shout out to the Anger Management tour, which was nowhere near as cool as the Up In Smoke tour.

Family Values tour on its own level. The only thing close was Ozzfest when slipknot came out of nowhere and were ruining the lives of people who had to follow their act.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Volkerball posted:

Was it Cube that had the eye of the tiger remix/rap song?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
gently caress it I'll say it, I didn't mind Dursts' behind blue eyes cover

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Alaois posted:

do you have an example of a Black Keys song where the drums actually stand out because I'm curious

It's literally a guy with a guitar and a drummer

Every song has the drums stand out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's literally a guy with a guitar and a drummer

Every song has the drums stand out

No i mean any song where the drums are actually memorable. Because they're not at all

• Locked thread