Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

pentyne posted:

Juicing as an obsession is such a urban white people dieting fad. They want to tout the merits of juicing as some cure-all when without consuming the skin and pulp you're losing out on a huge amount of the nutritional value of the produce. The only juicing site/blog I ever saw that made me think "hey maybe this isn't a bad idea" was someone who took all the leftover pulp and used it as a cooking ingredient in soups, omelettes, baking etc. because otherwise you are throwing away 90% of the edible material.

Just put the whole fruit into a blender and make a smoothie :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

actionjackson posted:

too many toxins

Commissar Kayla
Dec 27, 2008

boner confessor posted:

too many toxins

I would say that the next startup should be some kind of bullshit device that removes nebulous, undefined "toxins" from foods, but surely someone has already done it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Commissar Kayla posted:

I would say that the next startup should be some kind of bullshit device that removes nebulous, undefined "toxins" from foods, but surely someone has already done it.

thats like the entire homeopathic / naturalist health industry

also those crazy $3,000 ionic water filters

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

actionjackson posted:

But then you have to clean a blender, that's way too much work.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

boner confessor posted:

I'd pay for an ironic water filter.

Not $3,000, though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

pentyne posted:

Juicing as an obsession is such a urban white people dieting fad. They want to tout the merits of juicing as some cure-all when without consuming the skin and pulp you're losing out on a huge amount of the nutritional value of the produce. The only juicing site/blog I ever saw that made me think "hey maybe this isn't a bad idea" was someone who took all the leftover pulp and used it as a cooking ingredient in soups, omelettes, baking etc. because otherwise you are throwing away 90% of the edible material.

Definitely the only niche for the product according to that article:

quote:

Kippy Williams, owner of Kippy’s Organic Non-Dairy Ice Cream Shop in Los Angeles and Toyko, said she purchased her Juicero late last year for $1,200. (Juicero charges businesses a premium, she said.) Williams, a self-proclaimed health-food evangelist, said she’d like to see the company sell packs by themselves to people who can’t afford the device. “It would be great if they offered people the opportunity to buy the packs and press them by hand,” she said. “I want juice for every man, woman and child.”

:laffo:

I remember when this device was being discussed in this thread months ago, and I know it's common knowledge that venture capitalists are loving idiots just like the rest of us and are bored enough with life to toss money at anything, but man his entire justification for why this device is awesome was "anyone can measure juice, but how can you measure ki? How can you measure energy?" Like he got $120 million just from that. :wtc:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Would be interested to know what the rough investor breakdown is between "we're dupes" and "there are a lot of affluent juicing dupes out there".

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
The only good thing about Juicero is that it would bring juicing culture to more rich idiots and hopefully they would pull a Steve Jobs.

Commissar Kayla
Dec 27, 2008

boner confessor posted:

Okay, true, but has someone rebranded it missing an vowel yet?

Ntrl+, the app where you plug in your symptoms, and our proprietary formula that is not at all a random generator tells you what is wrong with you and then gives you ALL NATURAL recommendations.

The app itself can be free. Make money from supplement companies by charging to discreetly improve their chances of coming up in the random generator of supplements.

"You said you feel tired. You may have [thyroid/chakra/testosterone/mysterious energy] imbalances and a buildup of toxins. You should treat this with [herbs/vitamin macrodosing/ionic water filter/yoga/homeopathic nightshade]."

(Also, goddammit, I forgot about the stupid ionic water filters.)

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Paracaidas posted:

Venture Vulture Capitalist, after ACHA posted:

I'll finance your cancer treatment in exchange for 5% of your lifetime earnings after remission or 10% of your estate if remission is not accomplished.

Actually it's more like "we'll take over 100% of your income in health insurance premiums and then we dump you if you actually get sick."

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Antti posted:

Actually it's more like "we'll take over 100% of your income in health insurance premiums and then we dump you if you actually get sick."

Seriously. 5% of lifetime earnings would be a steal in comparison. For the average family making 50k per year working for 47 years will make $2.35 million. 5% of that is $117500 which is much less than a lot of cancer treatments. Current average premium per year for a family that has employer coverage is about $4700 or $235k over the same frame. Include the employer portion of it and the insurance itself would cost $814,134.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Raldikuk posted:

Seriously. 5% of lifetime earnings would be a steal in comparison. For the average family making 50k per year working for 47 years will make $2.35 million. 5% of that is $117500 which is much less than a lot of cancer treatments. Current average premium per year for a family that has employer coverage is about $4700 or $235k over the same frame. Include the employer portion of it and the insurance itself would cost $814,134.
The vulture financing option is only available to those worth saving, ie high earners

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Raldikuk posted:

Wage growth against premium growth would muddle this. And there'd be adverse selection as well.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Paracaidas posted:

quote:

I'll finance your cancer treatment in exchange for 5% of your lifetime earnings after remission or 10% of your estate if remission is not accomplished.

I think that 5% of the lifetime earnings of most people is actually less than the cost of cancer treatment.

edit: Which is why a bunch of these contracts would be bundled up and divided into tranches and sold to other investors. I am a genius.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
These juice hustler guys are dumb as hell, they should be lying about how important it is to slow-pour and aerate juice

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Which is why a bunch of these contracts would be bundled up and divided into tranches and sold to other investors. I am a genius.
Why do banks bundle up mortgages?

So they're not loanly

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm surprised no one has tried that already.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

exmarx posted:

These juice hustler guys are dumb as hell, they should be lying about how important it is to slow-pour and aerate juice

gotta enrich the juice with nutritious ions and free-radicals from the air we breathe

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

To be fair, there are research departments that might like this for the teaspoons.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

https://www.amazon.com/Quirky-Minder-Wink-Enabled-Smart/dp/B00GN92KQ4

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DCH-S160-mydlink-Wi-Fi-Sensor/dp/B00PVDUYPM

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

That seems actually useful if way overpriced.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

shrike82 posted:

That seems actually useful if way overpriced.

Yeah, I'd love to know right away if my basement started flooding.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Let me guess, you're a renter?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

a foolish pianist posted:

Yeah, I'd love to know right away if my basement started flooding.
We used to keep a plastic frog that beeped if water bridged the contacts on the bottom. It sat in the children's bathroom to let us know if the toilet had clogged AGAIN. A+ would bluetooth.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

This is the best internet of things thing I've seen. Think I will buy one for my mom's birthday as their basement floods sometimes.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

nm posted:

This is the best internet of things thing I've seen. Think I will buy one for my mom's birthday as their basement floods sometimes.

I might get one too, it actually sounds useful beyond a normal local water alarm

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Neo Rasa posted:

venture capitalists are loving idiots just like the rest of us and are bored enough with life to toss money at anything

:smith:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Subjunctive is a loving idiot like the rest of us and only throws his clients' money at things he believes will return a profit.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Subjunctive do you want to fund my innovative product that will disrupt the juicero model? They are called j-loves. They are juicing gloves.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No. But it might not be the worst pitch I've heard.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A VC invests in about 2% of the companies who pitch her. So at some point someone saw the Juicero deck and said "this is one of the two best deals I'm going to see this year". Hypothesis: the VCs investing in Juicero have horrible, terrible dealflow. Like real bad.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

pangstrom posted:

Subjunctive do you want to fund my innovative product that will disrupt the juicero model? They are called j-loves. They are juicing gloves.

Wifi enabled juicing gloves that will post how much you juiced today to social media

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
juiced with left hand: 0
juiced with right hand: 9000

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Juicero CEO makes Medium post. This is too gorgeously interrelated to quote. Read the whole drat thing.

e: I realized I've been assuming. Subjunctive, do you prefer male, female, or other pronouns?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I'm no VC obviously but I could imagine being fooled. I mean a lot of affluent people are precious about juice and their time (the cleaning!) and the margins would be high, founder with experience in the industry, etc.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Subjunctive posted:

A VC invests in about 2% of the companies who pitch her. So at some point someone saw the Juicero deck and said "this is one of the two best deals I'm going to see this year". Hypothesis: the VCs investing in Juicero have horrible, terrible dealflow. Like real bad.

quote:

Juicero’s Series A and B investors included Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, GV (formerly Google Ventures)

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Juicero CEO makes Medium post. This is too gorgeously interrelated to quote. Read the whole drat thing.

e: I realized I've been assuming. Subjunctive, do you prefer male, female, or other pronouns?

Squeezing a bag of chopped vegetables by hand is a "hack", oh my god this is precious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I mean I could see this being a thing at hotels/nice banks/ other institutions that need something to entertain rich clients while they mill about the lobby. So long as you can keep a pitch from focused on the juice bag subscription and not just how stupid the actual product is I can see the appeal.