Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I want to know what the hell a "volley firing machine" is, because I'm picturing a catapult full of captured panzerfausts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Geisladisk posted:

I want to know what the hell a "volley firing machine" is, because I'm picturing a catapult full of captured panzerfausts.

I've seen photos of wooden frames that mounted one or several captured rockets, I can only assume it was something like that.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
TBH being able to hurl 10 rockets into a bunker in rapid succession is a pretty useful capability.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
You know those landing ships converted into fuckoff MLRS barges? Like that, but smaller and drunk.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Geisladisk posted:

e: I'm a bit confused by these cards, where do I see the weapons the squads have?

If there's an "MG lost" under the casualties boxes they have an LMG. IIRC SMGs became more common for squad leaders over time, but you can make a point for having them with rifles.

SMG platoons and tank rider platoons fielded all SMGs.

I'm not in any way a knowledgable person about Soviet WW2 platoons, but here's an info dump from a better source (Chris Steadman):

Soviet Rifle Company, April 1941
Company HQ – strength not determined
Machine Gun Platoon – 2 sections, each 1 7.62mm HMG
3 Rifle Platoons each
Platoon HQ – strength not determined
4 rifle sections (12 men): 1 SVT 1940 Rifle or 7.62mm SMG; 1 7.62mm LMG; 10 1891/30 Rifle.
1 mortar section: 1 50mm mortar; 3(?) personnel.

Soviet Rifle Company, July 1941
Mortar Platoon, 2 sections each 1, 50mm mortar
3 Rifle Platoons, each
2 sections, each 1 SVT 1940 rifle or 7.62mm SMG; 1 7.62mm LMG; 10 1891/30 rifles.
2 sections, each 1 SVT 1940 rifle or 7.62mm SMG; 11 1891/30 rifles.

Soviet Rifle Company, December 1941
3 Rifle Platoons, each
3 sections, each 1 SVT 1940 rifle or 7.62mm SMG; 1 7.62mm LMG; 10 1891/30 rifles.

Soviet Rifle Company, July 1942
1 Mortar Platoon, of three sections, each 1 50mm mortar
3 Rifle Platoons, each
4 sections, each 1 7.62mm SMG; 1 7.62mm LMG; 7 1891/30 rifles.

Soviet Rifle Company, December 1942 – 1945
Heavy MG section of 1 7.62mm HMG except Guards, where 1 HMG Platoon of 2 7.62mm HMG
Mortar section of 2, 50 mm mortars
3 Rifle Platoons, each
2 Sections, each 1 7.62mm SMG; 2 7.62mm LMG; 6 1891/30 rifles.
2 Sections, each 1 7.62mm SMG; 1 7.62mm LMG; 7 1891/30 rifles.

Soviet Rifle Company, 1944 – 1945
Heavy MG Platoon of 2 7.62mm HMG
3 Rifle Platoons, each
3 Sections, each 1 7.62mm SMG; 1 7.62mm LMG; 5 1891/30 rifles.

Soviet SMG Company, December 1941 – 1945
3 SMG Platoons, each
3 Sections of 10 7.62mm SMG

A good think with CoC is that you can make any of these platoons to your liking, and then just stat out with the CoCulator how many points they would be.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

drat, that constant mortar platoon swapping...

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Polikarpov posted:

TBH being able to hurl 10 rockets into a bunker in rapid succession is a pretty useful capability.

The British (maybe just the canadians) did the same thing with UCs.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Hedgehog marine rocket launchers. I have some Airfix ones around somewhere that I never stuck to Matildas.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I wrote a review about my new Foundry French Carabiniers. They went on to butcher some Russian Grenadiers in their first battle this weekend, are now my new darlings together with the lancers, who also proved excellent at skewering Cossacks and Hussars.

http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog/more-french-legere-carabiniers-foundry

E:

I also wrote a battle report from my last SP2 battle against zokie. Skirmisher duels! Cavalry charges! And people marching in columns! If you can imagine something more dramatic than that, you have a wilder imagination than me.

http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog/battle-report-high-noon-at-vitebsk

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 20, 2017

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

lilljonas posted:

I wrote a review about my new Foundry French Carabiniers. They went on to butcher some Russian Grenadiers in their first battle this weekend, are now my new darlings together with the lancers, who also proved excellent at skewering Cossacks and Hussars.

http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog/more-french-legere-carabiniers-foundry

E:

I also wrote a battle report from my last SP2 battle against zokie. Skirmisher duels! Cavalry charges! And people marching in columns! If you can imagine something more dramatic than that, you have a wilder imagination than me.

http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/napoleonic-blog/battle-report-high-noon-at-vitebsk

I started that match with one goal, to use an Open Column and turn it into a Line by that sweet pivot of each group.

That it won me the game is just gravy, it's fun to see that manouver is starting to feature more and more in our games. With flank charges, tricks eith coöumns and forcing squares.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

If any goons are going to Salute, see if you have a chance to check out that neat new "travel-sized" Napoleonics game that Perry is releasing in two days. I'm interested to see how it plays and works out in general.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Drone posted:

If any goons are going to Salute, see if you have a chance to check out that neat new "travel-sized" Napoleonics game that Perry is releasing in two days. I'm interested to see how it plays and works out in general.

Seconding this

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I will volunteer for checking that out - what kind of thing do you want to know?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

If it's a good game that is fun?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

What do the miniatures smell like and how many can you can fit in your mouth

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

What do the miniatures smell like and how many can you can fit in your mouth

Given that they are like 8mm big, I think I could fit a few companies.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think, but am not sure, that it's Old Crow Miniatures who if you approach their stall and say "stone the crows" will give you a free pack of 28mm scale crow minis to decorate your corpse piles with.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Does anyone here understand how Bolt Action's tank rules differ from regular reinforced platoons? Something about radio channels and command vehicles? I don't feel like the PDF included on the website explains it very well.

Edit: I figured it out! There's a supplement book.

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 21, 2017

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
What are peoples opinions on flames 4th edition. I like the war in the desert and they do starter armies of 8 tanks and two artillery pieces.
What's flames like to play? How big are games? Would it be better to just get blitzkrieg commander?
Give me your terrible opinions guys.
And how much Zveda stuff is available for the period? Any good sources of infantry?
I know FoW basing is compatible with BKC.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Thundercloud posted:

What are peoples opinions on flames 4th edition. I like the war in the desert and they do starter armies of 8 tanks and two artillery pieces.
What's flames like to play? How big are games? Would it be better to just get blitzkrieg commander?
And how much Zveda stuff is available for the period? Any good sources of infantry?

Zvezda do have some bits for the desert war, and Plastic Soldier Company have also done a lot of good stuff (early model Shermans and Stuarts, in particular, as well as 25pnders & universal carriers). Not really any other alternatives for infantry, mind.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Yvonmukluk posted:

Not really any other alternatives for infantry, mind.

Forged in Battle does some early war British, French, and Polish infantry, and has some relevant vehicles like the Grant, Mk VIb, M4A1 cast hull aka Sherman II ('Desert Sherman'), Sherman III, Stuart III, and of course every German vehicle ever made and plenty more that were never made, because no one generates more bank than wehraboos

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Thundercloud posted:

To follow up my death thread post:

There's stuff I like about it so I'm not going to say it's all bad. Hit allocation is way simpler, I appreciate the changes to RoF/pinning, and I like that things have more capability of movement. Pre-ranging and area-fire (especially for smoke) is nice with artillery. I love the fact terrain is usually so much simpler, and I like the idea of orders. It does play faster.

There's stuff I have a personal distaste for; I think morale from TY was already wonky enough even without moving it to a 1/turn thing (after remounting!), I hate how all the good ways of removing infantry and guns have been nerfed to the point where it feels like you're heavily encouraged to recreate the western front circa 1916. Cards are so annoying; not just the fact all the upgrade options are now weird, board-gamey discard effects (to be bought separately, of course) but the fact they've decided to make all the tanks very slightly different, because you should obviously have the card as reference. Artillery having to add +1 to range in if the template's over terrain; why? I could probably gone on, but there's a billion and one tiny annoyances. Assaults are now nightmares with limited smoke and limited teams-in-contact, and soviets essentially lost QoQ with how many bases you need to ram in, which I obviously care deeply about :v:

And lastly, it's really obvious nobody's examined the rules really hard to see if it actually says what they meant. I posted in the Death Thread on this at length, but I'm pretty sure every segment of the rules has at least one "I strongly assume they meant to say X because this is kind of weird otherwise" bit.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
There's a death thread for FoW?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Colonial Air Force posted:

There's a death thread for FoW?

Nah, I just ranted on the death thread.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

The Death Thread started getting completely unreadable so I stopped reading. Now it's saying 1300 unread posts. Please post long historicals themed rants here.

Is FoW V4 a shitpile? Are the cards bundled with the miniatures so you have to spend twice as much on official WWII miniatures?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
How is the Tanks X-Wing clone skirmish game that Battlefront makes? It's cheap enough that I might pick up the starter set at least.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Thundercloud posted:

The Death Thread started getting completely unreadable so I stopped reading. Now it's saying 1300 unread posts. Please post long historicals themed rants here.

Is FoW V4 a shitpile? Are the cards bundled with the miniatures so you have to spend twice as much on official WWII miniatures?

I'll just quote myself:

spectralent posted:

Stuff I have a personal distaste for? Stuff like the unit cards, nerfing assaults (and really all non-artillery ways of killing dug-in infantry), the wonky morale rules I wasn't insanely keen on from TY... There's a lot of stuff that, alone, I probably would've gone for but together is just too much irritation to really be living with.

Objectively, the rules are like they were typed up the night before submission working from napkin notes where you had loads of great ideas that were definitely top-grade material but you can't quite remember them because you were working at 4am. Blitz move prompts so many questions because it's not very clear how it operates. Building LOS doesn't mention that building walls block LOS (they're listed as Tall terrain earlier and it specifically mentions that you can't see troops on the other side of buildings, though). Snipers hides still give them concealment, bullet proof cover, and gone-to-ground status even when shooting, as always, but the rule that's probably meant to be there that says they can't take normal movement is missing, so presumably they can carry them with them. Relatedly, their gun isn't slow-firing, despite having a new stat line, so it should probably be Slow Firing (which they maybe assumed they didn't need because they assumed the intention was obvious snipers can't move). Assaults, despite being "simplified", now have confusing wiggle about who gets to assault (especially with the new QoQ rules). The way last stand is written it's arguable it never applies.

There's probably loads more stuff I've forgotten. If I needed a recent example of the kind of problems you get when you design internally where everyone knows what you mean already and either don't have or don't listen to playtesters (I wouldn't speculate which), I would absolutely point to V4.

Cynically, yeah probably. You don't have to use cards, but they've sure made basically everything much more fiddly and less unified in what really feels like an attempt to make playing without them a pain in the rear end. Tanks used to be 8" or 12", and even in TY it's 10" or 14". V4 tanks go anywhere from 8-14", and while all infantry are 8", guns can be 2-8". The upgrade cards, meanwhile, feel 100% like "we split this book up across a bunch of cards so you have to buy more stuff".

Beardless posted:

How is the Tanks X-Wing clone skirmish game that Battlefront makes? It's cheap enough that I might pick up the starter set at least.

I dug it but it's definitely way less deep than X-Wing and my group bounced off it pretty hard. I've heard it's not done great globally which is a shame because it did seem really accessible.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It never even hit the shelves here sadly, so I didn't get to try it at all.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Blitzkrieg Commander III is out tomorrow. Anyone picking it up?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Probably. I've played a lot of mk2 and it was a lot of fun.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

What's the difference between Blitzkrieg and FoW?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Blitzkrieg Commander is based on warmaster.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Thundercloud posted:

Blitzkrieg Commander is based on warmaster.

I would like more detail, or should I give some, em, free trial pdf a spin?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know if you would be able to find one. The first time non-playtesters will have access to it is today by purchasing it at Salute.

It's a really good system (or was in first edition) and can be played from 2-15mm scales.

I will be ordering it and likely doing forces in 15mm scale where the minis are a decent size.

Because I could then use the same minis in FoW I was curious as to what state that game was in. Apparently not great.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
FoW 3rd edition was solidly alright, and the books might be going cheap now :v:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Thundercloud posted:

I don't know if you would be able to find one. The first time non-playtesters will have access to it is today by purchasing it at Salute.

It's a really good system (or was in first edition) and can be played from 2-15mm scales.

I will be ordering it and likely doing forces in 15mm scale where the minis are a decent size.

Because I could then use the same minis in FoW I was curious as to what state that game was in. Apparently not great.

Naw, I was just wondering what are the biggest differences between Blitzkrieg and FoW. Is a FoW rifle/mg base half a squad of dudes in Blitzkrieg too? What about on table artillery? Friction? Activations?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

You can have some artillery on table but you can have it off table.

Everything in bkc works without being some huge drama fest of edge cases.

Basing is flexible, as is choosing your army, so you can use FoW stuff with the same bases.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

FoW 3rd edition was solidly alright, and the books might be going cheap now :v:

Great segue, you can have a 3rd edition rulebook for literally nothing see below!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818054#post471634082

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh dang. Where is across the world exactly? As I am already thereabouts but would totally be interested in books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I actually signed up to play BKC3 at Fall-In last year, since the book was expected to be completed by then. It ended up being v2 because of the delay, but I still had fun and enjoyed the system. So I'll be picking up 3 as soon as I can.

Is that soon?