Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

seravid posted:

Make-up, costuming, prosthetics or just plain CGI... Nowadays, aliens can be as fantastic and bizarre as their creators' imagination will allow and, boy, does GotG deliver. We've got:

Pink alien lady

Blue alien guy

Blue alien guy

Blue alien guy

Blue alien guy, pink alien lady

Big blue alien guy

Green alien lady

Caucasian reptile-ish alien guy

Pink alien ladies

Yellow alien guy chilling, out of charge porcelain sex doll

That's about right for comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

seravid posted:

Make-up, costuming, prosthetics or just plain CGI... Nowadays, aliens can be as fantastic and bizarre as their creators' imagination will allow and, boy, does GotG deliver. We've got:

Pink alien lady

Blue alien guy

Blue alien guy

Blue alien guy

Blue alien guy, pink alien lady

Big blue alien guy

Green alien lady

Caucasian reptile-ish alien guy

Pink alien ladies

Yellow alien guy chilling, out of charge porcelain sex doll

This is clearly a style thing. It's some Star Trek poo poo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The movie looks bad because these shots lack colors, but the movie is also bad because these shots have too many colors.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MacheteZombie posted:

"Making him blue, while comics accurate, would have just put an artificial barrier between us and what is surely going to be an epic performance."

You know I think he would do fine with a little makeup on

Dunno why

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Neo Rasa posted:

The movie looks bad because these shots lack colors, but the movie is also bad because these shots have too many colors.

The only aliens we've seen in DC films so far are white.

:v:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
To be fair, that is kind of the joke in GOTG.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you want to ignore the only real space movie they've done, Green Lantern. Which I wouldn't blame you for.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My brain is broken beyond repair because I like how half of GOTG looks. I've yet to be persuaded that it looks wholly bad.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

My brain is broken beyond repair because I like how half of GOTG looks. I've yet to be persuaded that it looks wholly bad.

GotG looks adequate.

It is an adequate movie at best. E: Unless:

dont even fink about it posted:

Yeah maybe I'm just unlearned but I can't remember GOTG looking this bad, to the point that I sometimes wonder if you are being fair.

Some of those shots I don't even dislike, but the ones I don't like are yeesh-level.

I haven't manipulated any of the pictures, the DVD/Bluray version might just look bad (see CP's :eyepop: color correction).

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 20, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Adequate GotG drinking game: Drink whenever a character is told something they already know for the sake of exposition.

e.g. "We are both daughters of Thanos, girl from Doctor Who!"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was also gonna try and change all the side lights to neon but I couldn't figure out how to do that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My LG TV applies a Snyder-like "Cinema" filter that turns down the contrast, turns down the gamma, and changes the color palette to "cool" to any input it receives from an HDMI port that it detects is from a Blu-Ray or DVD Player.

I had to manually go into the settings to turn it off. I don't understand why this is a wide-spread practice or why someone thought it was a good idea to make this a default setting.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

CelticPredator posted:

I was also gonna try and change all the side lights to neon but I couldn't figure out how to do that.

I'll do it for you, hold on. It will be hacky and quick but get you what you want. Keep the same color?

Edit: I just cracked this open and the side lights look like neon already? Unless I am looking at something different.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 20, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I did find some preview footage, and I obviously can't compare it to the theatrical release, but I think we're through the looking-glass, people:

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 20, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My LG TV applies a Snyder-like "Cinema" filter that turns down the contrast, turns down the gamma, and changes the color palette to "cool" to any input it receives from an HDMI port that it detects is from a Blu-Ray or DVD Player.

I had to manually go into the settings to turn it off. I don't understand why this is a wide-spread practice or why someone thought it was a good idea to make this a default setting.

Bud, let me introduce you to "motion smoothing", the loving worst thing in the world.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Bud, let me introduce you to "motion smoothing", the loving worst thing in the world.

Let me introduce you to everyone's parents "Why'd you turn that off? I like it! You can change the settings on your tv at your house."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If they just called Tele Novela mode we could have saved america from it.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
being drunk and watching Pineapple Express at 60 FPS is not fun

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

parallelodad posted:

Let me introduce you to everyone's parents "Why'd you turn that off? I like it! You can change the settings on your tv at your house."

Their love of motion smoothing is the most damning flaw of boomers tbh.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'll do it for you, hold on. It will be hacky and quick but get you what you want. Keep the same color?

Edit: I just cracked this open and the side lights look like neon already? Unless I am looking at something different.

I want like neon purple or green or something. I'm obsessed with that kind of aesthetic.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Also, this is actually the proper comparison I should've made, but I was initially trying to emphasise the differences rather than contrast, then somebody quoted it and it was too late to change it.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 20, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

CelticPredator posted:

I want like neon purple or green or something. I'm obsessed with that kind of aesthetic.

This is six minutes of work. It's hacky and horrible but actually relighting the whole scene and making it look good would take me hours, and I don't want to bother. but I think this at least helps get it closer to your aesthetic.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why doesn't Marvel hire some more loving extras?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

parallelodad posted:

No filming in china, I guess.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is six minutes of work. It's hacky and horrible but actually relighting the whole scene and making it look good would take me hours, and I don't want to bother. but I think this at least helps get it closer to your aesthetic.

It's perfect

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

parallelodad posted:

More extras would have certainly helped, dude has a magic sentient dart anyway, so it's not like they were in danger of it appearing too unbelievable if he killed more people. But like the way it's shot is the bigger issue. You could picture the HGttG shot pulled back a few feet and shifted up and you would see a whole lot of green countryside making it appear more empty and non-claustrophbic. Same with this shot:

Pull back and tilt the angle up and it would look a lot emptier. They could have used the same general tricks in GotG even with fewer baddies.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Their love of motion smoothing is the most damning flaw of boomers tbh.

For a while the X-Men 3 bridge scene would play at shops all the time with motion-smoothing on, and it was the best way to convince people not to upgrade their TVs.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Wow! ok well glad you enjoyed it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Doctor Strange is way less vibrant on Blu-ray than I remember it being in the theater.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The people demand separate RT scores for both visual vibrancy and laugh potential.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Electromax posted:

The people demand separate RT scores for both visual vibrancy and laugh potential.

Quips - 86% (rated "on point")
Tension - 71% (rated "nigh unbearable")
Visuals - 23% (rated "pretty good IMO")

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

SleepCousinDeath posted:

being drunk and watching Pineapple Express at 60 FPS is not fun

I see your Pineapple Express and I raise you White Girls, which actually changes the movie a great deal, because the makeup that the Wayanses wear looks like a loving horror show when watched with Motion Interpolation on.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

RBA Starblade posted:

It's funny how we've moved from DC films being in color to Marvel ones not being in color.

The problem is actually that people have little understanding of what they're talking about and, so, reduce everything to the existence or nonexistence of 'colour'. Even though all these movies are in colour. So what the hell are you talking about?

The point is that Guardians Of The Galaxy, despite being 'the good one', has few interesting compositions and extremely murky low-contrast imagery. It 'has color' in the same sense that Pacific Rim does - meaning that there are colourful things technically on the screen, but these colours are not used effectively.

Example:

The yellow lighting in this shot is making Saldana's makeup glow a lime green, while Bautista's makeup becomes a sickly grey. While the rudimentary composition draws attention to Pratt's face by putting it at the intersection of the two staircases in the background, Saldana is the second-brightest thing on the screen after the doorway, and the second-greatest contrast with the overwhelming dark floor. Meanwhile, the floor does not contrast with the bodies of the characters, and swallows them up. Saldana and Pratt's legs disappear if you squint slightly.

Simply put, Gunn does not make use of Saldana's vibrant green makeup as an element in the composition, when I must say that could be a very fun thing to play around with. Think of how much has been done with Batman's black costume, or Superman's red cape. Nothing is done with the yellow light either.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 20, 2017

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

DC Murderverse posted:

I see your Pineapple Express and I raise you White Girls, which actually changes the movie a great deal, because the makeup that the Wayanses wear looks like a loving horror show when watched with Motion Interpolation on.

Is... is there a framerate where it doesn't look like a horror show?

Anecdote - When we saw Hellboy in the theater, for some reason the White Chicks trailer played 3 times in a row. People were very upset.

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

Slugworth posted:

Anecdote - When we saw Hellboy in the theater, for some reason the White Chicks trailer played 3 times in a row. People were very upset.

Boy, that sounds like hell. Heh. Heh.

Sorry. :sweatdrop:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Phylodox posted:

That's clearly a beard fight, not a movie fight.

Jack Burton's magnificent mane wins.

Kurt russel would make a fantastic Fallout Brotherhood of steel elder.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Slugworth posted:

Is... is there a framerate where it doesn't look like a horror show?

A friend with chronic sleep issues invited us to watch White Chicks for his birthday. Fucker fell asleep instantly while the rest of is were trapped waiting for him to wake up because he was our ride.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Kurt russel would make a fantastic Fallout Brotherhood of steel elder.

Kurt Russell would make a fantastic anything. Dude's crazy charismatic.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

seravid posted:

Blue alien guy

To be fair, I rather liked Ronan. He's the villain though, so he kind of had to have a little more work put into his design.

quote:

Green alien lady

Gamora, on the other hand, was so clearly "a black woman, but green" that it would have been weird if she had turned out to be played by a white woman or something.

There's probably something to be said about Saldana and Bautista's role in the film's popularity and Marvel suddenly being way more representative when minorities can be put in makeup so that they're space minorities... but eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

parallelodad posted:

Since he still had influence on the movie side of things at the time I'm going to chalk it up to Ike being cheap

• Locked thread