Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

mattfl posted:

Did you play on the par 3 executive course on beach side? That's the only par 3 I know of around here.

http://oceansgolfclub.com/

my father in law was hitting tee shots with a putter, some of those greens are 20 yards from the tee box.

edit : while not an amazing place to play, for an rear end in a top hat vacationer it was nice to stop in, be treated very nicely by the guys in the pro shop, and get to half-swing a couple of 30 year old clubs for really cheap.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Nerdrock posted:

http://oceansgolfclub.com/

my father in law was hitting tee shots with a putter, some of those greens are 20 yards from the tee box.

Yup that's the one

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

Good lord, you're a horse.

Josh Lyman can attest I am a real human being :)

Tall mostly athletic build with a 115+mph swing speed. My last 5 or 6 rounds I think I've used my driver maybe once or twice per round.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
My bag: SLDR driver (small head, 12 degree), M2 3 wood, M2 5 wood (15 and 18 degrees), ping 3 hybrid (M1 on the way), 5i-P (cleveland, the P is 45 degrees), Ping Eye2 Wedge (50.5), Cleveland 54 degree wedge and Titleist 58 wedge, cleveland TFi Halo putter.

As someone noted, if you used the old sets of 3-PW, your lofts wouldn't be that different, but they wouldn't be on the same clubs.

I carry 4 wedges because I found I wasn't hitting the 3i, and replaced it with a hybrid, and wasn't hitting the 4i so put in another wedge. I'm ruthless about it, I track what clubs I'm hitting, and if a club isn't in rotation, it's gone. I stopped carrying a driver for a year when I moved to high altitude, and only put it back in a year ago.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Just had a lesson. A few setup adjustments and I was hitting a nice draw again.

Golf lessons are interesting. Each instructor has their own idea of how they want you to swing. I have found that if I just buy in, it works well.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just lol if you don't smash driver on every non-par 3

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Just lol if you don't smash driver on every non-par 3

:q::respek::q:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

torgeaux posted:

As someone noted, if you used the old sets of 3-PW, your lofts wouldn't be that different, but they wouldn't be on the same clubs.

That's becoming apparent. But seeing the considerable interest in all aspects of the technical side of golf is really interesting to me. I'm going to not worry about immediately buying new irons until I play some more, get some lessons, see how things settle out.

I appreciate hearing how you all are filling your bags, its enlightening. The range in wedges is something I should try--never carried anything other than my PW previously.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Bag time? Okay...

Driver: 8.5* TM M1
3W: 15* TM M1
2i: 716 T-MB (one of these)
Irons: 4-PW Mizuno MP-64
Wedges: 51*/55*/59* Scratch 8000 something's

I have a 3 or 4 hybrids, but that 2i replaced all of them. It's a laser that I can hit high or low and never hooks or slices randomly the way my hybrids seem to do every once in a while. There's a bit of a distance gap between the 2i and the 4i, but I'd rather have that gap than one between the PW and 51*. The wedges are due to be replaced, but I can't decide what I want.

My swing speed is similar to mattfl's, but I'd rather hit my driver 320 than lay up with a 275y 3W most of the time :boom:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

You guys can all go kick rocks lol

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
http://www.tigerwoods.com/news/2017/04/20/225438912/tiger-undergoes-successful-back-surgery-to-alleviate-pain/

TIGER UNDERGOES SUCCESSFUL BACK SURGERY TO ALLEVIATE PAIN

quote:

Tiger Woods announced today that he has undergone successful back surgery to alleviate ongoing pain in his back and leg.

"The surgery went well, and I'm optimistic this will relieve my back spasms and pain," Woods said. "When healed, I look forward to getting back to a normal life, playing with my kids, competing in professional golf and living without the pain I have been battling so long."

Due to previous herniations and three surgeries, Woods' bottom lower-back disc severely narrowed, causing sciatica and severe back and leg pain. Conservative therapy, which included rehabilitation, medications, limiting activities and injections, failed as a permanent solution, and Woods opted to have surgery. The procedure was a minimally invasive Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (MIS ALIF) at L5/S1. The surgery entailed removing the damaged disc and re-elevating the collapsed disc space to normal levels. This allows the one vertebrae to heal to the other. The goal is to relieve the pressure on the nerve and to give the nerve the best chance of healing.

The operation was performed by Dr. Richard Guyer of the Center for Disc Replacement at the Texas Back Institute.

"After he recovers from surgery, he will gradually begin his rehabilitation until he is completely healed," Guyer said. "Once that's accomplished, his workouts will be geared to allowing him to return to competitive golf.
"If you are going to have single-level fusion, the bottom level is the best place for it to occur. Some individuals are born with one less vertebrae, which would be similar to someone who had a single-level fusion," Guyer added.

Woods will now rest for several weeks, then begin therapy and treatment. While each procedure and case is unique, patients typically return to full activity in about six months.

"I would like to thank all the fans for staying in touch and their kind wishes," Woods said. "The support I have received has never waned, and it really helps."

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tiger says every surgery is successful. He's so done.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I guess the success metric is being able to walk afterwards? Yeah I'm not optimistic.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
The only person who thinks he isnt done is tiger. I look forward to another year of press releases about his comeback being delayed

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

You'll all be eating your words when Tiger wins the 2021 John Deere Classic

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Tiger says every surgery is successful. He's so done.

He's woken up from all of them, I'd say that's at least marginally successful.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Shrapnig posted:

He's woken up from all of them, I'd say that's at least marginally successful.

We take those W's.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kameh posted:

We take those W's.

Is it weird that all of a sudden I have a fetish for short blue skirts?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Holy lol do people really use laser range finders to judge distance to pin?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Bilirubin posted:

Holy lol do people really use laser range finders to judge distance to pin?

Yes, that's why so many pins have reflectors on them.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

:psyduck:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What else would you use laser range finders for?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I read that for this surgery the docs went into his spine from the front and re-arranged his guts to get to it instead of just going through the back like the other 3 surgeries.

Just horrible. :staredog:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

You have to do that for an appendectomy.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I have a feeling that my driver, or at least the shaft, isn't right.

Last year, I got a Callaway XR 4 wood after trying a friend's. The 4 isn't a typo, I never could hit a 3 wood worth a poo poo, but I kill this thing. I like it so much, I find a deal on the matching driver only instead of the stock stiff shaft, it has a Aldila rogue silver 60. I think I made a mistake with that purchase. I just can't find the center with it. A "normal" swing with it is a dead hook and if I try to sweet swing it, it's an ugly fade/slice. More alarmingly, I can hit that 4 wood within 10 yards of what I hit the driver. I currently out drive a lot of my playing partners using that fairway wood. I guess the lesson here is, if you like the fairway wood you may not like the driver and vice versa. :smith:

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 22, 2017

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

What else would you use laser range finders for?

Targeting ordinance at the enemy?

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Bilirubin posted:

Targeting ordinance at the enemy?

You're right. I can't think of any other scenario where knowing the exact distance to something would be helpful besides that one.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
GPS is much better - when I miss I miss big. Can't always see the flag 2 fairways across!

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Halo14 posted:

GPS is much better - when I miss I miss big. Can't always see the flag 2 fairways across!

GPS is for dropping bombs on terrorists, not golf. Duh.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BCRock posted:

GPS is for dropping bombs on terrorists, not golf. Duh.
Firing Tomahawk missiles, to be precise.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Golf Digest 2017 Spin Chart
K Sig ftw. I only have 3.5 dozen ish left at the moment though, if they don't straighten out their supply situation or sell a bunch of the new ones I may need to stock up on something else.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I bought a couple boxes of Q Star Tours this week, playing with them today. I'll let you chaps know if they're any good for my awful golf game.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

I bought a couple boxes of Q Star Tours this week, playing with them today. I'll let you chaps know if they're any good for my awful golf game.
They're like a Titleist NXT so it'll be fine.

I'm not sure if I mentioned before but I bought a bag of 92 very lightly used Pro V1x's from an old guy for $35 last summer.

I haven't hit a single golf ball since July.

So I completely missed out on the Costco fervor.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Josh Lyman posted:

They're like a Titleist NXT so it'll be fine.

I'm not sure if I mentioned before but I bought a bag of 92 very lightly used Pro V1x's from an old guy for $35 last summer.

I haven't hit a single golf ball since July.

So I completely missed out on the Costco fervor.

Don't fret, LostGolfBalls.com has you covered for $40/doz for 5A used ones!!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dat markup :stare:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

BCRock posted:

You're right. I can't think of any other scenario where knowing the exact distance to something would be helpful besides that one.

Point being that deciding on which club to use next during the walk up to your ball by estimating distance, knowing course tendencies in marker placement, judging wind speed and direction, are skills of the game. Using a range finder would be useful for practice at the range I guess but if its used when playing it seems to me like you are intentionally leaving an important part of the game undeveloped.

:corsair:

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Just getting a distance to things is not a big deal. The pros have yardage books that do the same thing, a laser makes it possible and much faster for amateurs. You still have to judge elevation gain/loss, wind, temperature, ground conditions, etc.

They make ones that account for elevation gain/loss but iirc those are illegal for tournament play.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

Point being that deciding on which club to use next during the walk up to your ball by estimating distance, knowing course tendencies in marker placement, judging wind speed and direction, are skills of the game. Using a range finder would be useful for practice at the range I guess but if its used when playing it seems to me like you are intentionally leaving an important part of the game undeveloped.

:corsair:

I find it hard to believe this is the fist time you are hearing about range finders being used in golf...

They are even implementing new rules that will allow them in professional tournaments. Even pro caddies will walk the course with a range finder to get distances and make notes in their yardage books.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

mattfl posted:

I find it hard to believe this is the fist time you are hearing about range finders being used in golf...

Why?

Having caddies using them to make notes in their notebooks seems appropriate, but I have visions of weekend hackers hauling one out with each shot and slowing down their play even more. Hopefully this is jus tmy overactive imagination though. Just seems like a crutch and another thing to spend ones money on that isn't really needed.

But who knows perhaps in a year I won't be able to imagine playing without one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Bilirubin posted:

Why?

Having caddies using them to make notes in their notebooks seems appropriate, but I have visions of weekend hackers hauling one out with each shot and slowing down their play even more. Hopefully this is jus tmy overactive imagination though. Just seems like a crutch and another thing to spend ones money on that isn't really needed.

But who knows perhaps in a year I won't be able to imagine playing without one.

People who care about improving their handicap and lowering their scores need to know yardages to the pin and other locations (to carry a bunker/hazard, to the front/back of green, etc.). Shooting the flag to get an exact distance takes way less time than wandering around to find a sprinkler head for an estimated yardage. And if you factor in the extra time someone takes playing extra shots on the course due to misinformation that a range finder could have prevented, then it should speed up a round.

There are GPS apps that give you these distances, but some might take just as long to access as a point-and-shoot LRF, and they might be 10+ yards off due to location errors.

Plus, laser rangefinders can be purchased for about $100, which is about 2 weekend rounds for most people. It's a worthwhile investment.