Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Physical teams were pretty held back compared to magic since the soft cap basically prevented them from really maximizing buff use.

It doesn't help that there's been a few difficult battles that actively penalized you for using physical attacks (through bullshit counters and/or ranged status). The last U++ battle I couldn't finish, the Exdeath fight back in December or so, I couldn't finished because he kept countering my physical attacks with dispel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Power creep.

This plus the weirdness of their damage equations meant Magic had a much higher soft stat-cap than Attack. Thus we have the pendulum of "attack is OP" (Shout meta, VIT0 days, anything which prioritizes #Hit over potency) swinging back and forth towards "Magic is OP" (Stacking buffs, multi-hit Black Mage spells, Raines BSB, anything that prioritizes potency over number of hits).

The pendulum will swing back over to favoring Attack not with the next Atk soft cap bump, but with Cloud USB and its hideous brokenness. I figure next Magic swing will be with whatever the magical equivalent of Cloud USB will be, even if it's just theoretical right now.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

KataraniSword posted:

The pendulum will swing back over to favoring Attack not with the next Atk soft cap bump, but with Cloud USB and its hideous brokenness. I figure next Magic swing will be with whatever the magical equivalent of Cloud USB will be, even if it's just theoretical right now.

This makes me feel better about all of the Attack stuff I got during the festival and don't need due to already having a great Magic team.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

KPC_Mammon posted:

This makes me feel better about all of the Attack stuff I got during the festival and don't need due to already having a great Magic team.

I'm the opposite. Before the anniversary I had very few good mage/summoner relics and now I have amazing poo poo like Shantotto's BSB, Sheepsong to stack with my OK BSB, Golbez's BSB, and a couple others. It's really nice for me to not have to rely on physical teams for everything.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Luckily, unlike the days when physical attacks had a soft cap around 350, or the days when the only magic attacks with not capped at 9999 damage were Soul Breaks, both physical and magic are 100% viable with the right team loadout nowdays, even if one is more efficient in making GBS threads out absurd damage at any given time.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
And the existence of mixed boosts like OKs means you can run mixed teams that are capable of doing basically any content in the game, too, especially if that's the only way you can stack a lot of same-element imperils, enhances, and damage

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
This Garuda fight made me realize I have no wind elemental SBs or any wind element abilities that are 4* or higher. Fly away bird, you win for now.

Interesting that wind is a no show for both 4* black magic and 4* spellblades.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Interesting that wind is a no show for both 4* black magic and 4* spellblades.

There are only four magical sources of wind elemental damage outside of SBs: the Ninja spells Gust (4*) and Raging Storm (5*), the summon Tiamat (5*) and the Black Magic Meltdown (6*, tri-element Fire/Earth/Wind).

This is because Aero showed up in FF5 and FF6 as blue magic, which was apparently enough for DeNA to shut it into the bottomless pit of Blue Magic When, despite it also showing up elsewhere as White Magic (FF3) and Black Magic (FF11, FF12, FF14, arguments could be made for FF8 and FF13 despite using untyped magic). But since Aero exists, it shows up just fine as a spellblade skill. :downs: Though that leads me to wonder why Saint Cross was a Knight skill instead of a Holy Blade spellblade skill, since DeNA loves aping FF5 so much.

(That said, don't ask me why they skipped over Aeroga Blade and went straight into Tornado Blade, or why there's no BLK Tornado spell. Neither of these are questions I have any insight into.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

KataraniSword posted:

There are only four magical sources of wind elemental damage outside of SBs: the Ninja spells Gust (4*) and Raging Storm (5*), the summon Tiamat (5*) and the Black Magic Meltdown (6*, tri-element Fire/Earth/Wind).

This is because Aero showed up in FF5 and FF6 as blue magic, which was apparently enough for DeNA to shut it into the bottomless pit of Blue Magic When, despite it also showing up elsewhere as White Magic (FF3) and Black Magic (FF11, FF12, FF14, arguments could be made for FF8 and FF13 despite using untyped magic). But since Aero exists, it shows up just fine as a spellblade skill. :downs: Though that leads me to wonder why Saint Cross was a Knight skill instead of a Holy Blade spellblade skill, since DeNA loves aping FF5 so much.

(That said, don't ask me why they skipped over Aeroga Blade and went straight into Tornado Blade, or why there's no BLK Tornado spell. Neither of these are questions I have any insight into.)

Aero was White Magic in XIV as well. But yeah, it's odd that they won't just add it already.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I think I'm going to pull tonight. No dupes, and any of the BSBs would be pretty cool.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Combo posted:

I think I'm going to pull tonight. No dupes, and any of the BSBs would be pretty cool.

That's my feeling. I really just wanna have a feel good, no fear of dupes banner pull.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

That said I'll go 1/11 with the worst item on the banner but whatever.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Wow.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
^ :stare:

On one hand I want to save 100 gem pulls for fest banners. On the other hand I don't have a FFXI relic so I did it anyway.

Got Curilla's Iron Musketeer's Cuirass, sweet!

Armitage fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 21, 2017

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Got Lion's burst and Prishe's SSB, seems like a pretty solid draw. A burst and a medica for the realm.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

3/11 Prishe burst, Shantotto SSB, Curilla SSB, just fine with that

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

:toot: A BSB for my Lightning team, a Medica and Esuna for my Holy team, and a Hastega for my Wind team. Also, every required item to make XI CMs more tolerable.

Only one dupe on the Lion/Ayame/Prishe banner in the next event too if I still want Ice SBs.

All armor, but with an 11/14% chance that's to be expected.

Edit: Also, I have an Esuna for the upcoming Mandragoras...

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yknow I realized, between having Master Monk and Refia, and now Prish's BSB I could probably do a punchmans team.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

I pulled her Vidofnir when she was added to the game, I pulled her BSB during the Anniversary, and I just pulled her Chain and her new Super.

I think the game wants me to use Shantotto, guys. :v:

(Also, Prishe Burst! :toot: )

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm a little sad to miss Shantotto's Burst. But complaining would just make me the worst.

Perhaps three pulls was not wise. But my fanboyism I cannot disguise.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Wasn't planning on pulling, but had a moment of weakness. Somehow it worked out for me.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

:siren: HAILSTORM IS CRAFTABLE :siren:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

This banner seems generous, I even got a relic from a single pull. I got myself Curilla's SSB which is pretty drat rad. :toot:

Nihilarian posted:

:siren: HAILSTORM IS CRAFTABLE :siren:

This is the best part of the entire event.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
3/11

I pulled three tactical magician coats.

Clearly I have insulted the RNG in some way. I will sacrifice a d20 in atonement tonight.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yesss more stamps

Ugh really tempted to pull but I'm only at 53 mythril and I know I should be saving for Extreme Fest instead. Having any XI synergy at all would be nice, but the events are so rare that it probably doesn't matter.

Then again there's basically always some big new fest around the corner.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's very tempting to pull for synergy, but I already have a few other banners earmarked (XII, X, VIII, IX) and none of the actual SBs jump out at me other than maybe Shantotto/Lion BSBs.

I also want to pull on the next XI event for Zeid, so...

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
gently caress, I knew I shouldn't have made a pull. I got 2 of prishe's ssb heals. Could have neen worse, I could have gotten 2 of ayame's shiyty hastega sb's. Well at least I have armor and a medica, but no offense means no using that realm. Time to save up for ayame bsb and zeid poo poo.

And now I have 0 non-elemental orbs and power orbs, but an r3 hailstorm! Really glad they finally added this to global.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ok, now that I have Lion with her SSB and BSB, I think I'll use her in my Physical team.

Can someone give me a rundown on Thief and Ninja abilities? I've never even really looked at them so far (Ramza was the only person with ninja I had, and he is usually busy shouting and carrying support stuff).

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
5/11, Shantotto CSB, along with SSBs and BSBs for Lion and Prishe. I did not expect to have a draw this good.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So how good is Hailstorm? Seems like a great pick for hybrid teams, but I honestly don't think I've ever run a samurai in a hybrid team before since usually I want someone that can either support, hit weaknesses, or just pump out lots of damage in the physical slots. I mean obviously it's really good against an ice-weak boss, but does it have a high potency or something aside from that?

Granted the only samurais I have with any relics are Gilgamesh with his BSB and Seph with his en-dark SSB, so I'm probably not in the best position to use it to begin with.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Hailstorm's potency ties with Gaia Cross and the 5* spellblades. It's high, but it's not exceedingly so.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ok, now that I have Lion with her SSB and BSB, I think I'll use her in my Physical team.

Can someone give me a rundown on Thief and Ninja abilities? I've never even really looked at them so far (Ramza was the only person with ninja I had, and he is usually busy shouting and carrying support stuff).

Thief:
Thief's Revenge: Most consistent damage (after 170 SPD), no capping issues, self-heals, but lowest max multipliers
Dash and Slash/Poison Leaf: Better multipliers (3.7x with a dagger equipped), can have damage affected by elemental affinities and effects. Might run into capping issues.

Ninja abilities (with the exception of Flurry of Petals and Doppelblade) are essentially RES-ignoring MAG attacks that also bypass most traditional counters and immunities. However, their scaling takes a large hit after about 370 MAG, which means to squeeze out damage after that you're looking at Enelements or +ninja/element damage RMs and Record Spheres.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Thief
4*
Steal Power and Defense are same break potency as Power and Armor Breakdown, they just trade dealing damage for buffing the user instead (it's +50% so while it won't stack with Shout, it won't weaken it, either).
5*
Thief's Revenge does 0.7x per hit for up to 5 hits based on SPD and then self-heals 30% of damage dealt; max hits requires 170 SPD, which all characters capable of using the skill can reach with the exceptions of Noel and Tyro, IIRC. For comparison, at max hits TR does 3.5x compared to Saint Cross's 3.4x.
Poison Leaves and Dash and Slash are the same 2-hit ability with different elemental flavors (Poison and Wind, respectively). Unboosted, their potency is 3.3x (slightly weaker than SC); boosted by having a Dagger equipped, their potency is 3.7x. Thief's Revenge should take priority, and Daggers are generally weaker weapons, but these are some solid abilities.
6*
Mug Bloodlust is a 3.2x hit with a -20% ATK/DEF break on the target and +20% ATK/DEF buff on the user. It's a pretty strong mote ability, though -ATK/DEF isn't super uncommon in SBs (such as Lion's BSB entry).

Ninja
4*
Phantasm has a 50% chance to cause Sleep and is a magical attack so it won't wake them up; it's mostly notable for those rare occasions you need a Sleep ability.
Gust deals AOE Wind magical damage.
5*
Smoldering Fire and Raging Storm are the same 2-hit ability with different elemental flavors (Fire and Wind, respectively).
6*
Stitch in Time is an instant 2-hit physical for 3.0x potency, but it's more notable for having a +30% MAG/-30% DEF buff attached.

Now, here's the thing about Ninja- it's a kind of weird split set with Magical/Physical abilities. All the magic is quick-cast (half standard casting time) and ignores RES outright, but is also under a much shorter ceiling to soft-capping damage from MAG. In practice, it's generally weaker per cast than a Black Magic spell would be, but the casting time means that you can squeeze more in, which helps narrow the damage gap and also generates more SB meter through quantity alone (also means they might want higher hones than normal to capitalize on them).

Not every Ninja is built well to support the Magic side, though, even if they need a lower MAG stat to hit their softcap. And right now... physical Ninja skills aren't that hot. Once we reach the Rubicante event, though, Ninja gets some very strong physical abilities that work with Physical Blink, either granting it or getting more hits with it. They'll come in Water and later Dark flavors.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I don't give a crispy poo poo about FF XI and I'm still bitter about the time I got de-leveled by a loving mountain goat but whatever, I'm bored of this game, gimme something delicious relic machine!

3/11, Shantotto's BSB and two of Ayame's SSB.

Neat.

Kumog
Dec 28, 2006
Am I your god?
Decided to pull twice in a moment of boredom at work.

2/11: Curilla SSB, Lion BSB. Quite acceptable, that BSB looks delightful for breaking.
4/11: Shantotto CSB, Prishe BSB, Prishe SSB, Ayame SSB. Got the one item I wanted, as well as a complete Prishe. Worth burning my FFT Mythril.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Thanks for the Thief and Ninja info guys.

Hogama posted:

Steal Power and Defense are same break potency as Power and Armor Breakdown, they just trade dealing damage for buffing the user instead (it's +50% so while it won't stack with Shout, it won't weaken it, either).

Which breaks do these (not) stack with?

Given Lion's BSB entry emulates Mug Bloodlust's debuff to some degree (and the fact its a 6* mote thing) I doubt I'll be using that any time soon. Thief's revenge looks like it'd be pretty good, especially since a self-heal is always handy in nasty dungeons.

I noticed Lion's Lust Dagger boosts MAG a decent amount, is she a good candidate for ninja magic then?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Which breaks do these (not) stack with?

The ones that affect the same stat, so power and armor breakdown. Fullbreak is fine.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I pulled and got three copies of Lion's Super (and also Curilla's, but only one of those).

I kind of wish I could trade one in for Lust Dagger but it's not too bad.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So who else that got Shantotto's CSB is musing on a Thunder Team?

(obviously some of the abilities need to be changed)

Need to RW buffs and kinda hurting for proshellga unless I Aetherial pulse, but hey, its got a stock of shock! :science: If only I had Fran's Imperial Lightning SSB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pulled on this banner hoping for the lightning chain, got Prishe's BSB and two copies of Shantotto's SSB. I am told that Prishe's BSB is amazing. Is there a "right" way to use it, or is it just use it, buff with it, and unload on the enemy? I know basically nothing about Prishe.

• Locked thread