Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

anime was right posted:

this thread doesnt have a lot of quotes from the book im sad

They're there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

spacetoaster posted:

They're there.

ive only seen like three so far. this is basically the gbs version of the suck zone which is fine.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

IronClaymore posted:

But you defeated them in that.

Well that's one thing we never learned from you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Spanish_War_(1585%E2%80%931604)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Spanish_War_(1625%E2%80%931630)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Spanish_War_(1727%E2%80%931729)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_Jenkins%27_Ear
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Spanish_War_(1796%E2%80%931808)

Is status quo ante bellum the national motto, or something?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

IronClaymore posted:

And entirely sure we broke the habit some 50-100 years before you did. And never relied on it so heavily. So very very heavily. I read "Roots", I know what you guys did to 'build' your "nation', if it can be called that.

You put the Spanish to shame, and that's saying something. Because they were like the benchmark for brutality. But you defeated them in that. Grats.

lol you went to war over a barren rock with a third world nation and almost lost

just lol

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

anime was right posted:

ive only seen like three so far. this is basically the gbs version of the suck zone which is fine.

I've updated the OP to link posts mentioning parts from the book.

If anyone knows any I missed let me know and I'll add it so our COMPLETELY off topic conversations don't keep people from reading about the book.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Human Crouton posted:

Nope. Spain is still the all time dick champion. Less than 10% of the slave trade went to the British colonies because the slaves could actually survive to birth further generations.

The brunt of the slaves were shipped continuously to Central America, South America, and the Caribbean colonies(including Spanish colonies) because the conditions were so harsh for slaves there that they had to keep replacing the ones they worked to death.

that and the africans had immunity to European diseases. the natives didn't. so they were killed by the labor/killings and mostly disease that would wipeout entire villages.

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

VikingSkull posted:

lol you went to war over a barren rock with a third world nation and almost lost

just lol

But enough about Afghanistan

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

CassandraZara posted:

But enough about Afghanistan

we, and the russians only lost there once

the Brits are the only ones stupid enough to do it twice

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

IronClaymore posted:

Actually, :australia: here, you're poking at the wrong shameful genocide. And it was well in to the 1950s and 60s that this poo poo carried on here. And it still goes on! Hah! gently caress you American, we can still be more racist than you!

We...we really kinda can, even though you have Trump. Our racism loving sucks, and I like to critisise the USA all the time, but sometimes I'd like to trade our racism for yours, because ours is just...infinitely awful.

Does your government even allow you to use the internet? Are you on an illegal connection right now?

Sebastien Lenorman
Apr 12, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Guys, gals (and pick) are we done arguing about pinochet? Can we go back to dunking on hillary yet?

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Pawn 17 posted:

Does your government even allow you to use the internet? Are you on an illegal connection right now?

I was unaware that using TOR was illegal. After all, it was invented by YOUR navy so it conduct covert operations in YOUR name.

Also no, my government is a weird nanny-state leaning to the right, which is the worst way for a nanny state to lean. So many websites are prohibited but this one is fine, which probably means it's monitered.

You know I illegally downloaded a music album the other day, and it took a full 30 seconds longer to start the download. Thanks to my government. That's 30 seconds I'll never get back. I had to start TOR and paste the url in to Bittorrent it was just so tedious.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

is this that idiot from Ireland that hates England but lives there in a council tower because British poverty is still better than Irish success?

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Sebastien Lenorman posted:

Guys, gals (and pick) are we done arguing about pinochet? Can we go back to dunking on hillary yet?

We try, over and over and over. But then the anti-trump people go on about stolen elections (she knew that racking up the score in california/NY would not win an election) and "HILLARY WAS THE PERFECT CANDIDATE" and "YAS QUEEN" and "kill all white people they stole the election from Hillary" and most sane individuals have to bring them crashing back down to reality because it's really annoying.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

*giggling*

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Let's abolish the electoral college for real this time, because its existence is inconvenient to my candidate this particular election.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Reform it at the very least because for all the "wahh wahh wee wahh the electoral college protects us good ol' wholesome muricans from the evil clutches of new york and california" in its current state it over-represents the poo poo out of klan country and other, lesser forms of rubes and hayseeds.

It also keeps dipshit republicans in blue states, and moron democrats in red states from even bothering to vote because "I'll never get my way abloo bloo bloo"and guess what? There's more republicans here in Chicagoland than there ever were in Wyoming (because there's more people here in general than there ever were there) and most of them don't even fuckin' bother.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
gently caress voting it's so disappointing without fail. Give the people what they want: gladiator battles. Hell we could even preserve precious democracy by letting democrats and republicans vote on each candidate's champion. Call it the Electoral Arena

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
The electoral college doesn't even make the top 10 list of Problems in U.S Politics though. The Presidency could be decided by coin toss between two baby-boomers carefully selected for the greatest mix of stupidity, arrogance, and likelihood to develop Alzheimer's and it still wouldn't be a major issue because the Presidency isn't that important.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
I actually don't think we should eliminate it but I don't vote so it makes zero difference to me either way.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

suburban virgin posted:

The electoral college doesn't even make the top 10 list of Problems in U.S Politics though. The Presidency could be decided by coin toss between two baby-boomers carefully selected for the greatest mix of stupidity, arrogance, and likelihood to develop Alzheimer's and it still wouldn't be a major issue because the Presidency isn't that important.

The fact that the presidency isn't important is an even better reason to do away with it. Every other stupid dipshit serving in the elected positions of the federal government are decided purely by popular vote so who gives a poo poo.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
the fact that no one cares about the electoral college unless their candidate loses by it is how you know it's working as intended

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

bonerjam posted:

I actually don't think we should eliminate it but I don't vote so it makes zero difference to me either way.

No poo poo, neither do the other 50% of registered voters. They just sit at home gripping their dicks and crying.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

the fact that no one cares about the electoral college unless their candidate loses by it is how you know it's working as intended

I don't like it when my favored candidate wins. What now, bitch?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

NomChompsky posted:

I don't like it when my favored candidate wins. What now, bitch?

sir why do you have a nazi avatar are you a racist

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Of course not I listened to Kendrick Lamar's new album on spotify.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

HRES TO 33 MORE PAGES OF WHATEVER THIS IS

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

plz tell me this isn't a photoshop

literally a hog
Jan 5, 2006

Mandarrrrrk! Bring me the head of Dexter and Dee Dee shall forever be yours!

Grumpo posted:

So has anyone actually read the book? What was Bill doing the whole time considering he ya know, won two campaigns and could offer pointed, accurate advice about demographics and swing states?

This is from a different book that came out a while back, but its funny and stuck in my mind. Who knows if its true:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-penthouse.html

Guilty as Sin excerpts posted:

New York Times bestselling author Ed Klein has just published his fourth book about the Clintons since 2005, Guilty as Sin. Klein has told how Bill Clinton enjoyed foot rubs, massages and romps in his presidential library with female interns and has described new details about Hillary's medical crises. Guilty as Sin is available in bookstores and for order from Amazon.

In the waning days of the presidential campaign, Bill and Hillary Clinton had a knock-down, drag-out fight about her effort to blame FBI Director James Comey for her slump in the polls and looming danger of defeat.

'I was with Bill in Little Rock when he had this shouting match with Hillary on the phone and she accused Comey for reviving the investigation into her use of a private email server and reversing her campaign's momentum,' said one of Bill Clinton's closest advisers.
'Bill didn't buy the excuse that Comey would cost Hillary the election,' said the source. 'As far as he was concerned, all the blame belonged to [campaign manager Robby] Mook, [campaign chairman John] Podesta and Hillary because they displayed a tone-deaf attitude about the feeble economy and its impact on millions and millions of working-class voters.

'Bill was so red in the face during his conversation with Hillary that I worried he was going to have a heart attack. He got so angry that he threw his phone off the roof of his penthouse apartment and toward the Arkansas River.'

Bill has a luxurious penthouse apartment with an outdoor garden at the Clinton Presidential Library and Museum in Little Rock.

During the campaign, Bill Clinton felt that he was ignored by Hillary's top advisers when he urged them to make the economy the centerpiece of her campaign.
He repeatedly urged them to connect with the people who had been left behind by the revolutions in technology and globalization.
'Bill said that constantly attacking Trump for his defects made Hillary's staff and the media happy, but that it wasn't a message that resonated with voters, especially in the rust belt,' the source explained.
'Bill always campaigned as a guy who felt your pain, but Hillary came across as someone who was pissed off at her enemy [Trump], not someone who was reaching out and trying to make life better for the white working class.'

According to the source, Bill was severely critical of Hillary's decision to reject an invitation to address a St. Patrick's Day event at the University of Notre Dame.
Hillary's campaign advisers nixed the idea on the grounds that white Catholics were not the audience she needed to reach.

'Bill also said that many African Americans were deeply disappointed with the results of eight years of Obama,' the source continued.
'Despite more and more government assistance, black weren't economically any better off, and black-on-black crime was destroying their communities. He said Hillary should have gone into the South Side of Chicago and condemned the out-of-control violence.'

Though Bill conceded that FBI Director Comey's decision to revive Hillary's email scandal created a problem for her campaign, he believed the issue had little impact on the outcome because it had already been baked into the decisions of most voters.
'A big part of Bill's anger toward Hillary was that he was sidelined during the entire campaign by her advisers,' said the source. 'He can't be effective if he sees himself as just another hired hand. He wasn't listened to and that infuriated him. After all, he knows something about campaigns, and he told me in early October that Hillary and her advisers were blowing it.
'Hillary wouldn't listen. She told Bill that his ideas were old and that he was out of touch. In the end, there was nothing he could do about it because Hillary and her people weren't listening to anything he said.'

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Hillary Clinton is a hubris-addled nepotism-case.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

IronClaymore posted:

Actually, :australia: here, you're poking at the wrong shameful genocide. And it was well in to the 1950s and 60s that this poo poo carried on here. And it still goes on! Hah! gently caress you American, we can still be more racist than you!

We...we really kinda can, even though you have Trump. Our racism loving sucks, and I like to critisise the USA all the time, but sometimes I'd like to trade our racism for yours, because ours is just...infinitely awful.

Celebrating Australia day is not genocide.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Remember when The Piano Guys played "Fight Song" during Trump's inaugural ball?

I'm going to have to live to 150 to see anything as funny as 2016 again.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

bonerjam posted:

Let's abolish the electoral college for real this time, because its existence is inconvenient to my candidate this particular election.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

literally a hog posted:

This is from a different book that came out a while back, but its funny and stuck in my mind. Who knows if its true:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-penthouse.html

That's good stuff.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

loving lmao dude

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

'sgo, smokes.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Dude, it's Slate, it wouldn't have been surprising if those articles were published within hours of each other

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

The Human Crouton posted:

I don't think I've seen the whole thing before. He's in a venue surrounded by enemies and he's meek until they all think he's given into their holy jerkoff fest, and then he gets vicious as soon as they think they've got him cowed.

That campaign was the funniest 2 years in all of history.

All this video shows is that Don is too much of an uncouth boor to get along with the other Old Money New York socialites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

GG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTh-mfEZMJE

• Locked thread