Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Prometheus is cool. Transformer would be cool if it actually transformed as mentioned. Susano-o is okay but captain kidd is way past cool so it gets overshadowed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Not being able to callout Ryuji in the scene immediately after that is the worst tho.

Don't they call him out immediately after though? The next scene is Makoto turning up with Joker and showing the evidence and everyone going "goddamnit Ryuji". He tries to deflect blame for a bit but Ann actually apologises so then he mumbles out one as well.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I wouldn't say the evolutions are disappointing it's just the originals are so good. My favorites are Geomon and Milady.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Don't they call him out immediately after though? The next scene is Makoto turning up with Joker and showing the evidence and everyone going "goddamnit Ryuji". He tries to deflect blame for a bit but Ann actually apologises so then he mumbles out one as well.

I don't remember it if they did, all I can remember is everyone being surprised with Makoto being with you and Ryuji going "what the heck" and then just moving on since they can still recover from this.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Satanael is v good

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I don't remember it if they did, all I can remember is everyone being surprised with Makoto being with you and Ryuji going "what the heck" and then just moving on since they can still recover from this.

They meet at the diner afterwards and Yusuke's all "what the gently caress ryuji"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i hate Hecate so much coming off of Carmen

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So in the other thread people were talking about the game over if you failed to meet the Palace 3 deadline (it got pretty dark). Anyone know what the ones for the other palaces are
Kamoshida and Madarame are just a couple of police officers turning up at the cafe to say "so-and-so has filed a report about you, and considering you're on probation we have to take you in". Sae decides you're confused and ends the interrogation, and Pleasant Mysterious Man shoots you in the head. Shido's is Akechi realising you're still alive and coming to the cafe with police officers to rearrest you; I assume there's a second version of that one for if he's already dead? I'm not sure about Futaba's or Okumura's, though.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 20, 2017

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

NRVNQSR posted:

Kamoshida and Madarame are just a couple of police officers turning up at the cafe to say "so-and-so has filed a report about you, and considering you're on probation we have to take you in". Sae decides you're confused and ends the interrogation, and Pleasant Mysterious Man shoots you in the head. Shido's is Akechi realising you're still alive and coming to the cafe with police officers to rearrest you; I assume there's a second version of that one for if he's already dead? I'm not sure about Futaba's or Okumura's, though.

Actually Akechi shows up even if you have already killed him for Shido's palace.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Actually Akechi shows up even if you have already killed him for Shido's palace.

The Akechi you fight that had the wildcard was actually Shido's cognition Akechi, and the other Akechi was the real defender of justice Akechi and was just being slandered by false Goro.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

NRVNQSR posted:

Futaba ends up committing suicide if you don't meet the deadline. It's incredibly awful. :smith:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Futaba ends up committing suicide if you don't meet the deadline. It's incredibly awful. :smith:

Jesus.

Can someone tell what happens with the 3rd Palace's deadline?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Jesus.

Can someone tell what happens with the 3rd Palace's deadline?

Makoto is found in a whore house drugged out of her mind and sobbing MC's name and they arrest you

Least that's what I was told

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Makoto is found in a whore house drugged out of her mind and sobbing MC's name and they arrest you

Ryuji and Ann get expelled too, afaik.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

What the christ

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

multijoe posted:

What the christ

Truth serum is a helluva drug.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
they really know how to guilt trip you don't they

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Little guinea pig time?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

jesus christ :stonk:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah the bad ends in this game are loving horrific

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Fortunately they are figments of imagination except for joker getting executed

unfortunately that's actually pretty horrific too

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm at the end - how do I know when I've visited all of my SLinks? It seems like only max ranks show up at the end, and Morgana's still like "Did you say goodbye to everyone? Are you sure?", so now I'm second-guessing myself. Guess I'll have to pick up whatever I missed in NG+.

I kinda regret going for upping stats over finishing any SLinks that were close to max. You get a hell of a lot more from max ranks than you did in P3 and P4. It is actually not a bad idea at all to focus on maxing links over stats if you're planning on a second playthrough. Wish I did that...

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Barent posted:

Count me as another person that was expecting a P4-esque fake out true end. They mentioned something about "Was it really just a coincidence?" and I thought for sure there would be another dungeon and big bad.

Oh well, still a good game.

From a few pages back. I think this scene would be a great place to transition into a DLC or expansion, where Joker refuses to relinquish his power in the metaverse and it turns out he has his own Palace. The game already established via Futaba that you can enter your own Palace. How badass would it be if after all the events of the game, it turned out that Joker being special (or perhaps his view of societal reform / justice) has gone to his head, and he ends up creating a distorted shadow of himself? As a player I definitely found it hard to believe Joker gave up powers so easily, there's enough characterization in the game that suggests maybe he really is some kind of criminal trickster mastermind who engineered Shido's takedown from the beginning. Getting to take an extreme version of yourself down would be a fitting endgame to P5, it'd also work as taking down the extreme opposite view of what Yaldabaoth stood for.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Ninth Layer posted:

From a few pages back. I think this scene would be a great place to transition into a DLC or expansion, where Joker refuses to relinquish his power in the metaverse and it turns out he has his own Palace. The game already established via Futaba that you can enter your own Palace. How badass would it be if after all the events of the game, it turned out that Joker being special (or perhaps his view of societal reform / justice) has gone to his head, and he ends up creating a distorted shadow of himself? As a player I definitely found it hard to believe Joker gave up powers so easily, there's enough characterization in the game that suggests maybe he really is some kind of criminal trickster mastermind who engineered Shido's takedown from the beginning. Getting to take an extreme version of yourself down would be a fitting endgame to P5, it'd also work as taking down the extreme opposite view of what Yaldabaoth stood for.

There's nothing in the game to really support such a read. Specifically, it'd force a very specific characterization of the main character (one which dialogue options in game don't even really support) which defeats the point of the blank slate approach

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I'm at the end - how do I know when I've visited all of my SLinks? It seems like only max ranks show up at the end, and Morgana's still like "Did you say goodbye to everyone? Are you sure?", so now I'm second-guessing myself. Guess I'll have to pick up whatever I missed in NG+.

I kinda regret going for upping stats over finishing any SLinks that were close to max. You get a hell of a lot more from max ranks than you did in P3 and P4. It is actually not a bad idea at all to focus on maxing links over stats if you're planning on a second playthrough. Wish I did that...

I was gonna say that the map's usual feature for finding S-Links helps, but it does not list at least one: Stength

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Also that's already a bad ending, if your Joker puts self-aggrandizement ahead of the good he's accomplishing with those abilities then he takes Yaldabaoth's deal

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Ninth Layer posted:

I never got that at all. Recall, Joker's entire motivation is that he hates to see people get pushed around; he cannot stand idly by while evil is being done. That's his "sin" as it were, which gets him branded a criminal and also discovered by Yaldabaoth. Joker awakens his Persona when he concludes that he was not wrong for doing that; he would rather pursue justice in the face of death and damnation than not. This gives him the strength of will to face Kamoshida and all the rest. His motivation from the very start is selfless. He becomes a thief, the Joker, because he has no choice. In a corrupt society, the criminal is the arbiter of justice, and the police are corrupt, callous and cruel.

He'd rather break the law than permit evil to be done. I generally played him with an aloof, but powerful sense of justice. And he's, of course, very much a supporter of the Phantom Thieves.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, the 'Joker has a Palace!' stuff is fine as a joke about how he eight-timed his girlfriends or whatever, but having it in the game would undermine literally every theme and plot point in the game for a really dumb "Look the protagonist is actually evil!!!!" twist.

Which would also mean your choices are meaningless. It'd be like if you were forced to go the Accomplice ending in P4Golden.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wouldn't mind entering his palace in a spinoff as a gag to show how he thinks of the party members. Cognitive Morgana is just a sign that says "Let's not do that tonight"

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

There's nothing in the game to really support such a read. Specifically, it'd force a very specific characterization of the main character (one which dialogue options in game don't even really support) which defeats the point of the blank slate approach

I dunno, I definitely felt like the Joker seen capering through Palaces took a lot of enjoyment in his escapades. He even is described as a bit of a show-off at times in the story. Sae interrogating you puts a lot of weight into how conveniently useful a lot of Joker's acquaintances were, which in the moment makes her look kinda dumb for confusing your arcade-playing for firearms practice, but by the end of the story does start to seem more intentional. When you're asked directly toward the end "It seems like you were directed after Shido all along" and even your MC reflects that yeah, without bumping into Shido maybe I would have stopped, definitely gave me the feeling that Joker could have planned it all out from the beginning.

You wouldn't have to force a specific characterization to go with this kind of ending. Just have the player say "yes I planned everything" or "I want to keep my power to change society" to open the DLC ending and then it's player agency. After all in any postgame DLC it would be you, the player represented by Joker, that wants to extend the game in this manner.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I hope in crimson they expand Juvie out and you have to end a persona using priest evil plot to resurrect the the grail. gently caress it, we jojo now.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Technically Joker already confronted his shadow in his Persona Awakening. Since your Persona and your Shadow are the same thing.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

I wouldn't mind entering his palace in a spinoff as a gag to show how he thinks of the party members. Cognitive Morgana is just a sign that says "Let's not do that tonight"

A walking bed bed that you can't get away from

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
They'd need to do something kinda crazy to justify more dungeons after the ending. So either a cross-over event or some kind of New Threat, I dunno. It'd be hard to pull off, but I feel like them encountering another group of Persona-users on the road would be the only really natural way to do it.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I dunno, I definitely felt like the Joker seen capering through Palaces took a lot of enjoyment in his escapades. He even is described as a bit of a show-off at times in the story. Sae interrogating you puts a lot of weight into how conveniently useful a lot of Joker's acquaintances were, which in the moment makes her look kinda dumb for confusing your arcade-playing for firearms practice, but by the end of the story does start to seem more intentional. When you're asked directly toward the end "It seems like you were directed after Shido all along" and even your MC reflects that yeah, without bumping into Shido maybe I would have stopped, definitely gave me the feeling that Joker could have planned it all out from the beginning.

You wouldn't have to force a specific characterization to go with this kind of ending. Just have the player say "yes I planned everything" or "I want to keep my power to change society" to open the DLC ending and then it's player agency. After all in any postgame DLC it would be you, the player represented by Joker, that wants to extend the game in this manner.

I mean, he's a dashing rogue, of course he's Loving This poo poo but that doesn't mean he's got a wicked heart. He actively avoids taking human life, devotes himself tirelessly to helping people, even when he's faking his own death, and I don't see how he could have planned it all out from the beginning when him meeting Shido in the hotel was a complete coincidence, or else a machination from Yaldabaoth for some dumb reason, who knows.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Zore posted:

Yeah, the 'Joker has a Palace!' stuff is fine as a joke about how he eight-timed his girlfriends or whatever, but having it in the game would undermine literally every theme and plot point in the game for a really dumb "Look the protagonist is actually evil!!!!" twist.

Which would also mean your choices are meaningless. It'd be like if you were forced to go the Accomplice ending in P4Golden.

But I think the game as-is gives a LOT of room for this choice to be made. The way the game is set up, at the end of it Joker has a few scenes where he shrugs and goes "I don't know how all this happened" and then he semi-voluntarily has to move home. There's tons of space where you could instead give the player a choice to say "no, I'm not going anywhere, the Phantom Thieves fight to the end" and by expressing such a desire you create your own Palace. I really don't think it would even take that much writing to accomplish it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

The Ninth Layer posted:

Being a bit of a show off and enjoying what you do are not what creates a Palace. A Palace comes from truly warped desires and exerting them on other people.

Furthermore, the very notion of having a Palace is antithetical to the idea of someone who has completed the Fool's Journey and obtained The World. Which every Persona protagonist by definition has and does.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Joker's palace would be at Leblanc and it would be exactly the same except cognitive Sojiro doesn't call his coffee bland.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Ninth Layer posted:

But I think the game as-is gives a LOT of room for this choice to be made. The way the game is set up, at the end of it Joker has a few scenes where he shrugs and goes "I don't know how all this happened" and then he semi-voluntarily has to move home. There's tons of space where you could instead give the player a choice to say "no, I'm not going anywhere, the Phantom Thieves fight to the end" and by expressing such a desire you create your own Palace. I really don't think it would even take that much writing to accomplish it.

Why would you want to? It'd still go contrary to everything the game builds up to that point. Why build a house of cards only to knock it over immediately after?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I swear Morgana shoots down Ryuji's fear that the the group might have Palaces by saying once you've awakened to a Persona, you can't have a Palace, but that may be just Shadows that works for.

Once you've awakened and accepted your Rebellion, it cannot be stifled. One is woke will never put back to sleep

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Joker's palace would be at Leblanc and it would be exactly the same except cognitive Sojiro doesn't call his coffee bland.

And maybe his hired maid would actually clean up the place rather than telling him to do it beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Oblivious posted:

Being a bit of a show off and enjoying what you do are not what creates a Palace. A Palace comes from truly warped desires and exerting them on other people.

Furthermore, the very notion of having a Palace is antithetical to the idea of someone who has completed the Fool's Journey and obtained The World. Which every Persona protagonist by definition has and does.

I forget, doesn't having the power of The World still equate to essentially god-like strength? That's what Igor tells you at the end of P3, but nobody in the other games has ever had to deal with anything quite as drastic as...uh...that.

• Locked thread