Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

So then it was a terrorist attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Nonsense posted:

:smugdon:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
im upset no relatives has called to check if i was okay yet

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Nonsense posted:

Looks like it

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

I wish it meant two fewer votes for the FN but we're going to get a new 2002 aren't we?

Kurtofan posted:

Are you okay dear?! :ohdear:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx posted:

I wish it meant two fewer votes for the FN but we're going to get a new 2002 aren't we?

Yeah those dead cops are probably le pen voters, haha

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kurtofan posted:

Tag yourself as safe on Facebook like a normal person, Christ!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kurtofan posted:

Post your number so a bunch of goons can call you to ask if you are OK

(Don't do that)

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

unpacked robinhood posted:

Yeah those dead cops are probably le pen voters, haha
Okay that sadly made me laugh more than it should have. Poor dead cops.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/FannyBonjean/status/855161569612902407

A spokesman for the Interior Ministry stated that only one police officer died.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
so about that debate uh

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Cheminade brought some prehistoric stone tools. That was neat.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Second dead police according to Libération.

But then again terrorizing the police is like Polish cavalrying the Panzers.

Fun fact, Polish dragoons totally ruined the day of a mechanized unit because "carry gun to location on horse, dismount, shoot gun" is pretty effective when gun is antitank rifle. :v:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kassad posted:

Cheminade brought some prehistoric stone tools. That was neat.

He was on screen when it happened then uh ? Kind of an easy alibi imo

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

My guess is it was some low education le pen supporter trying to rob someone in broad daylight

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/855170162596732930

Well, so much for that.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Fun fact, Polish dragoons totally ruined the day of a mechanized unit because "carry gun to location on horse, dismount, shoot gun" is pretty effective when gun is antitank rifle. :v:

It's nice to learn these kinds of things on 4/20.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/855171851936575488

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

And now that utter fucker rear end in a top hat Macron drops a loving video with a phone call of loving barack obama talking to and supporting him

loving fuckshit

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/MailOnline/status/855174507841159168

quote:

More than half of police officers in France have said they are voting for far-right candidate Marine Le Pen in Sunday's election because of her strong anti-terror stance.
According to the IFOP poll, 51 per cent of the Gendarmerie are planning to back Le Pen in the nail-biting election.
That is more than double the number of people who are backing her nearest rival, centrist Emmanuel Macron (16.5 per cent).

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

At least it shows that his English is loving bad and his accent ridiculous

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress all of this

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Police revealed to like fascism, shocking noone

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Aaaaand we're hosed.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
It's a dead cop, who gives a poo poo. Stop freaking out.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SunAndSpring posted:

Lol you retard

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
So it seems we're right at the part of the movie where all the various story lines unravel and we get a slow-mo car crash right into a sudden twist.

tl;dr: This loving election.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

Just one person died? Even easier to have the entire nation go into mourning. An election Sunday? People are going to think about the future of France.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Good god you loving sadbrains it's just a cop, and they die all the loving time. 60 people died in the Pulse club shooting and it did barely a thing to the polls in the US election. If the person running against Le Pen loses, it's because they suck at campaigning, same as Hillary.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

This is like the number one warning that the poster is a loving moron that should be ignored. Right up there with "whiteknight" and "cuck".

feller
Jul 5, 2006

TheRat posted:

This is like the number one warning that the poster is a loving moron that should be ignored. Right up there with "whiteknight" and "cuck".

Also, you know, the animetar

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Lol what Russia just banned Jehova's witnesses outright. 2 years minimum in jail and everyone has had their properties seized. Holy poo poo.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

orange sky posted:

Lol what Russia just banned Jehova's witnesses outright. 2 years minimum in jail and everyone has had their properties seized. Holy poo poo.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/20/world/europe/russia-bans-jehovahs-witnesses.html?_r=0

quote:

MOSCOW — Russia’s Supreme Court on Thursday declared Jehovah’s Witnesses, a Christian denomination that rejects violence, an extremist organization, banning the group from operating on Russian territory and putting its more than 170,000 Russian worshipers in the same category as Islamic State militants.

The ruling, which confirmed an order last month by the Justice Ministry that the denomination be “liquidated” — essentially eliminated or disbanded — had been widely expected. Russian courts rarely challenge government decisions, no matter what the evidence.

Viktor Zhenkov, a lawyer for the denomination, said Jehovah’s Witnesses would appeal the ruling. He said it had focused on the activities of the organization’s so-called administrative center, a complex of offices outside St. Petersburg, but also branded all of its nearly 400 regional branches as extremist.

“We consider this decision an act of political repression that is impermissible in contemporary Russia,” Mr. Zhenkov said in a telephone interview. “We will, of course, appeal.”

An initial appeal will be made to the Supreme Court’s appellate division, Mr. Zhenkov said, and if that fails, Jehovah’s Witnesses will take the case to the European Court of Human Rights, in Strasbourg, France.

Hard-line followers of Russia’s dominant faith, the Orthodox Church, have lobbied for years to have Jehovah’s Witnesses outlawed or at least curbed as a heretical sect, but the main impetus for the current campaign to crush a Christian group active in Russia for more than a century seems to have come from the country’s increasingly assertive security apparatus.

Founded in the United States in the 19th century, Jehovah’s Witnesses has its worldwide headquarters in the United States and, along with all foreign-led groups outside the control of the state, is viewed with deep suspicion by Russia’s post-Soviet version of the KGB: the Federal Security Service, or F.S.B.

Summing up the Justice Ministry’s case against the denomination, the ministry’s representative, Svetlana Borisova, told the Supreme Court on Thursday that Jehovah’s Witnesses had shown “signs of extremist activity that represent a threat to the rights of citizens, social order and the security of society.”

During six days of hearings over two weeks, lawyers and witnesses for the religious group repeatedly dismissed the extremist allegation as absurd, arguing that reading the Bible and promoting its nonviolent message could in no way be construed as extremist.

Human Rights Watch, in a statement issued in Moscow, condemned the court ruling as “a serious breach of Russia’s obligations to respect and protect religious freedom.”

Rachel Denber, the human rights group’s deputy director for Europe and Central Asia, said the decision delivered “a terrible blow to freedom of religion and association in Russia.”

Jehovah’s Witnesses shuns political activity and has no record of even peaceful — never mind violent — hostility to the Russian authorities. But it has faced growing hostility from the state since President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia began his third term in 2012 and put the Orthodox Church at the center of his push to assert Russia as a great military and moral power.

The denomination suffered relentless persecution by the KGB during the Soviet era, and after more than a decade of relative peace following the collapse of Communism in 1991, it again became a target for official harassment under a 2002 anti-extremism law. That law makes it illegal for any group, other than the Orthodox Church and other traditional religious institutions, to proclaim itself as offering a true path to religious or political salvation.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

orange sky posted:

Did they actually get something right for once? Or are JW not the crazy ones.

I thought they were semi-banned in France too, or something: The French want to make society safe for religion by banning so-called cults

fake edit: Welp maybe not so bad as the Islamic State, yeah.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Senor Dog posted:

Also, you know, the animetar

The what now?

I mean, the other guy can whine all he wants about how me using a certain word that perfectly describes him makes all the poo poo I said irrelevant because I recognize he's a loving idiot and that's all he can come up with but how dare you insinuate I have an anime avatar

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 21, 2017

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The whole "oh no, a terrorism happened, I guess this means the fascists are gonna win 100% now" dance is old, tired, and poo poo. Please don't do it.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Good

SickZip posted:

The EU is fundamentally a vassal state of the US and should really not have any illusions about that. The US and UK are much closer then the US is to continental Europe and the current administration is particularly sympathetic to Brexit. The EU trying to play hardball is incredibly shortsighted as to their actual position in the world

No

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

YF-23 posted:

The whole "oh no, a terrorism happened, I guess this means the fascists are gonna win 100% now" dance is old, tired, and poo poo. Please don't do it.

It's funny because we probably get to see Le Pen's efforts to capitalize on it just fall flat and backfire a third time if she didn't learn her lesson.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Private Speech posted:

Did they actually get something right for once? Or are JW not the crazy ones.

I thought they were semi-banned in France too, or something: The French want to make society safe for religion by banning so-called cults

fake edit: Welp maybe not so bad as the Islamic State, yeah.

Jehovah's Witnesses are mainly just annoying, rather than dangerous or anything. They go around proselytizing plenty but you can always just ignore that.

They are also people who don't celebrate holidays and birthdays and refuse blood transfusions, but that's their own loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

SunAndSpring posted:

The what now?

I mean, the other guy can whine all he wants about how me using a certain word that perfectly describes him makes all the poo poo I said irrelevant because I recognize he's a loving idiot and that's all he can come up with but how dare you insinuate I have an anime avatar

Looks anime to me :shrug: