Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
Just read Secret Empire #0. It was great, I can already tell it's going to be infinitely better than CW2 but I have a question: When did Tony Stark come out of his coma or whatever he was in at the end of that god awful event?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Caper posted:

Just read Secret Empire #0. It was great, I can already tell it's going to be infinitely better than CW2 but I have a question: When did Tony Stark come out of his coma or whatever he was in at the end of that god awful event?

I was about to ask that same question.

I thought it was a really good issue as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Caper posted:

He didn't. He's still an AI.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

He didn't. He's still an AI.

That's not what it looks like in the issue? He's standing there in his own suit right alongside Ironheart? He doesn't appear to be in AI form like Jarvis or Friday

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Caper posted:

That's not what it looks like in the issue? He's standing there in his own suit right alongside Ironheart? He doesn't appear to be in AI form like Jarvis or Friday

Is it just a suit or do you see him? AI can pilot a suit. Also what color is his word bubble? Because AI Tony noticeably has a white bubble with red lettering as opposed to normal lettering.

Like this:

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

Is it just a suit or do you see him? AI can pilot a suit. Also what color is his word bubble? Because AI Tony noticeably has a white bubble with red lettering as opposed to normal lettering.

Like this:

Oh I guess it is just an AI piloting a suit because his word bubble is that color. It looks like an old suit too

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Caper posted:

Just read Secret Empire #0. It was great, I can already tell it's going to be infinitely better than CW2
A burning bag of dog poo is infinitely better than CW2, so that's not exactly the biggest praise.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ai tony piloting an old ironman suit was actually a plot point in a recent issue of invincible iron man as well

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib

SilverSupernova posted:

A burning bag of dog poo is infinitely better than CW2, so that's not exactly the biggest praise.

Exactly. I was a little gun shy going in but now I'm really looking forward to the rest of the event

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
While I usually like mawkish stories with a positive attitude, that whole Ms Marvel story arc was kinda stupid.
"Let's defeat the self improving, malevolent super virus by making everyone on the internet act nice for a day!"

I really liked what the USAvengers are setting up, though. But I feel that I will need to know a bit more context about cpt. Hydramerica soon.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Simonson's is probably better than both Byrne's and Waid's.

FF #352 is probably my favorite single issue of all time so I gotta agree.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

ai tony piloting an old ironman suit was actually a plot point in a recent issue of invincible iron man as well

I'm sure it's an art error, but there's a frame where it's a close up on the helmet and you see his eye through the slit. His speech bubble is all janky and red, pointing to AI, but Cap is also addressing him as a real person and not an AI, so who even knows. It was excessively long and I'm not going to be following it except for where it creeps into my normal books.

USAvengers dealt with it fine.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

PaybackJack posted:

That issue's in Chip Zdarsky's "Spectacular Reads" profile on Marvel Unlimited.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Caper posted:

Just read Secret Empire #0. It was great, I can already tell it's going to be infinitely better than CW2

i enjoyed it too :) art was really nice. looking forward to more.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm finally going back and finishing Howard the Duck and my god these last few issues are wilder and grander than I could have ever dreamed of. :allears:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Bummed to see Nova getting canned.

Not sure if or what I'll replace it with. Maybe US Avengers or The Unstoppable Wasp .

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Lobok posted:

That issue's in Chip Zdarsky's "Spectacular Reads" profile on Marvel Unlimited.

It's a great issue, and a go to for any time you need to explain to someone why comics are not just "books with pictures".

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

OhFunny posted:

Not sure if or what I'll replace it with. Maybe US Avengers or The Unstoppable Wasp .

get both

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Holy poo poo the first issue of Nick Fury was one of the best looking comics I've read in a long time. It was a lot of fun too. If that's the regular artist on the book then sign me up for every issue until it's cancelled. So probably six.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

X-O posted:

Holy poo poo the first issue of Nick Fury was one of the best looking comics I've read in a long time. It was a lot of fun too. If that's the regular artist on the book then sign me up for every issue until it's cancelled. So probably six.

I read it on my kindle and it made my eyes hurt. But it was a good issue!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I saw absolutely no hype for this book and it was such a wonderful surprise.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

PaybackJack posted:

What happens in it?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Schneider Heim posted:

What happens in it?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

X-O posted:

:lsd:

I liked it. Pretty beautiful oldschool spy stuff. Is this going to be some sort of origins story for him?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Uhhh are there actually people that like what marvel just did to cap because everyone I know agrees with me that it's probably the worst thing they've ever done

SMP
May 5, 2009

AlmightyBob posted:

Uhhh are there actually people that like what marvel just did to cap because everyone I know agrees with me that it's probably the worst thing they've ever done

I've not really seen any kind of positive reaction here or anywhere else on the Internet.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

SMP posted:

I've not really seen any kind of positive reaction here or anywhere else on the Internet.

I have on reddit but then it's reddit so no surprise

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Almost nobody likes it, no, thought the reasons are varied. Even frigging literal Nazis hate it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

AlmightyBob posted:

I think it's appallingly tone-deaf at best, but it's nowhere near the worst thing they've ever done. That's still probably Marville. On a level of plot or craft, Hydra-Cap is being executed well enough; it's just the worst possible time to tell this sort of story.

I do wonder how they're going to get out of this without leaning heavily on a Cosmic Cube reset button, though. This isn't the kind of thing where Cap just flees to the back roads of America for a couple of years, where he grows a beard and acts real sad, until he puts the costume back on for the anniversary issue.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

AlmightyBob posted:

http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/marvel-comics/secret-empire/0

I've been finding going through the first Cap:Steve collection a chore, but the event seems to be a bit of a hit.
As soon as I finish this collection (Two issues to go. Stupid compulsion to not waste my purchase), I'm looking forward to checking the #0 out.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 20, 2017

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

The 8.8 is some bitter irony

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Captain Werewolf was worse than Hydra Cap. Yes Hydra Cap sucks but really a werewolf.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

"Inhumans: Once and Future Kings" flashback miniseries from Christopher Priest and Phil Noto with a Lockjaw backup written by Ryan North (USG)
http://www.newsarama.com/34155-marvel-s-inhumans-origins-explained-by-priest-noto.html

quote:

"With a voice that could level mountains with but a whisper, Black Bolt spent his entire childhood in solitude, learning the discipline to stay forever silent," reads Marvel's description. "Now, as he emerges from isolation, he sets out on a path to claim the throne and forever alter the destiny of his people. The courtship of his future Queen Medusa. The exile of the current King, The Unspoken. And the fall of his brother Maximus…doomed to madness."

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 20, 2017

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm not a big Inhumans guy, but I'll give Priest a try on most things.

Speaking of, I thought it was cool that Kasper Cole finally came back from limbo in this week's World of Wakanda, even if his voice wasn't quite right.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

I'd like to, but if I decide to pickup another series there is only room for one.

Probably US Avengers. Since I read it's predecessor New Avengers on Marvel Unlimited.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Secret Empire is coming out at an awkward time but the premise is a more or less sound, pulpy premise that plays to a lot of Spencer's strengths even as it courts a lot of his weaknesses. #0 was something that a lot of recent event books haven't been-- fast paced and eventful, with at least one interesting or at least engaging thing happening on pretty much every page. I liked it quite a bit more than I expected to.

I don't think Marvel is espousing fascism with this schtick any more than Age of Apocalypse espoused social Darwinism. And I don't think Captain America is going to permanently be a bad guy any more than Cyclops was permanently Mr. Sinister's Fabio-maned sidekick. It's essentially an alternate reality story-- are they marketing it as such? Of course not. But that's what it is. Marvel isn't seriously going to move forward with the long-term line-wide premise that the Axis won World War II.

Again, the timing is mega unfortunate, and in terms of handling touchy political issues sensitively Spencer has already blown it not only on Twitter but in his Sam Wilson issues, where the hero's response to systemic white supremacy is to, uh, eventually give up. But he writes good bad-guys, and this story lets him run a little wild with a decent Taskmaster, a lively Eric O'Grady, and a not-bad Baron Zemo, which like, I'm a hopeless case so I'm sold.

(it's also already given us some solid tie-ins-- as with Civil War II Al Ewing is making the most of it, and the little Deadpool lead-up issue seemed like it was setting up some pay-off to the two characters' relationship throughout Duggan's run)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'ma toss out a thing and y'all can thing it or not thing it: I think Al Ewing is among the best writers at either company right now but U.S.Avengers, like Mighty Avengers before it and Ultimates, are kinda coming across like red-headed stepchildren that Marvel as a whole really couldn't care less about and is basically being dragged to and fro by these big dumb events without really being able to drive its own narratives. That these books manage to eke the most of their core concepts while still being constantly dragged around on a leash by the likes of Civil War II and Secret Empire is, again, a testament to Ewing but not much else.

Ms. Marvel was great this week. Its premise (get the internet to be nice for a day) and conclusion (it works) are both super outlandish, but the execution was so entertaining that I could easily overlook that.

SW#0 was...well, what it was. About half of it was a perfectly serviceable story, the other half was shock value obnoxiousness, but done in a way that leaves themselves least vulnerable to critique and most open to backpeddling. I've really grown to dislike the Bendisian Marvel universe standard where good guys in general seem just barely adequate at doing their jobs and tend to just get panicked and overwhelmed at every single problem that they're ever confronted with. Like, the mass Chitauri invasion thing...okay, that was kind of an exceptional threat and I can see these guys struggling to deal with it. But the big loving doomsday situation in NYC was just...a bunch of random supervillains attacking it? Oh, heavens to betsy, how will our intrepid heroes ever manage to deal with a group of supervillains? I guess they should only count themselves lucky that no group of supervillains have ever thought to attack New York before!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm just going to ignore Secret Empire as much as I can.

SMP
May 5, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

I'ma toss out a thing and y'all can thing it or not thing it: I think Al Ewing is among the best writers at either company right now but U.S.Avengers, like Mighty Avengers before it and Ultimates, are kinda coming across like red-headed stepchildren that Marvel as a whole really couldn't care less about and is basically being dragged to and fro by these big dumb events without really being able to drive its own narratives. That these books manage to eke the most of their core concepts while still being constantly dragged around on a leash by the likes of Civil War II and Secret Empire is, again, a testament to Ewing but not much else.

Ms. Marvel was great this week. Its premise (get the internet to be nice for a day) and conclusion (it works) are both super outlandish, but the execution was so entertaining that I could easily overlook that.

SW#0 was...well, what it was. About half of it was a perfectly serviceable story, the other half was shock value obnoxiousness, but done in a way that leaves themselves least vulnerable to critique and most open to backpeddling. I've really grown to dislike the Bendisian Marvel universe standard where good guys in general seem just barely adequate at doing their jobs and tend to just get panicked and overwhelmed at every single problem that they're ever confronted with. Like, the mass Chitauri invasion thing...okay, that was kind of an exceptional threat and I can see these guys struggling to deal with it. But the big loving doomsday situation in NYC was just...a bunch of random supervillains attacking it? Oh, heavens to betsy, how will our intrepid heroes ever manage to deal with a group of supervillains? I guess they should only count themselves lucky that no group of supervillains have ever thought to attack New York before!

Confession: I'm pretty ambivalent towards Al Ewing. I've read his Mighty Avengers, New Avengers, Ultimates, and Loki. His Avengers stuff does absolutely nothing for me. He tends to fill his cast with B and C-list characters he clearly loves, but do nothing for me. Ultimates was pretty rad when it got truly cosmic w/ Galactus and time and poo poo. All the Blue Marvel stuff bores the hell out of me though and he's clearly one of Ewing's favorites. Loki was fantastic though I'm sad it ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The opening felt more like something that Steve thinks happened, rather than what actually happened. Honestly, anything that Steve thinks I'd be skeptical whether it was true or result of his cube rewrite.

I'm interested in where this is going to go.

• Locked thread