Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That's so ridiculous I can't stop laughing about it even though I know it's not funny. I mean, Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

24:25 if you want to skip the kushida interview on WOR today

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Don't skip the KUSHIDA interview, it's really sweet :3:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I didn't skip it either :) but some people want to get straight to the Dave and that's okay too

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Does KUSHIDA have anything to say about Tom Horton's?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

astrollinthepork posted:

Jesus loving christ
That or Jerry kept had trouble saying Mauro's last name

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Jerusalem posted:

It has largely been disappointing, last year's batch was all really good from memory and I was hoping for more of that quality.

I honestly would think Bryan would schedule in 30 minutes of time to focus on the guests. Instead they seem like a mix of meek and not wanting to ruin the show, and Bryan not really feeding them too much.

Super No Vacancy posted:

craig is bad and bryan constantly burying craig is bad which is why it should just be bryan and vinny

His golden moments are so far between. Plus it might honestly be something as simple as Bryan and Vinny have been doing this over a decade and wanted some change in format. Plus they might have wanted the company of another friend there, to counter their more negative emotions if left on their own. Because Bryan is often jerk boss, and Vinny often depressive, there's at least Craig there trying.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

astrollinthepork posted:

Jesus loving christ

MR F

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
The MR thing seems like grasping at straws.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Craig has his moments, but his gimmick gets old when he swings back and forth between pious man of god who doesn't swear and shoos his kid out of the room when TAFKA Goldust is on and his weird creeper comments about the women.

Then you get things like the titty argument where Craig could just say "Bryan, I KNOW they said it, but they're not SUPPOSED TO BE ALLOWED to say it." Instead you get "THEY CAN'T SAY IT" "BUT THEY DID!" "BUT THEY CAN'T!" until the heat death of the universe.

(All of this is moot of course, because it's cable tv so they technically can say whatever the gently caress they want)

I can't remember nor do I care to go look, but did Craig get huffy about when Bret Hart kept saying homo over and over again in the early DX days?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Muddy Burphy posted:

The MR thing seems like grasping at straws.

In a company and business obsessed with outdated references and terminology?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/854752602499796992

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/854753415548874752

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Wait did anyone end up posting the link to last year's top whatever clips? I might have missed it.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Teddybear posted:

Wait did anyone end up posting the link to last year's top whatever clips? I might have missed it.

I dunno if it counts as :filez: or not since most of them are not from free shows?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The MR thing seems especially lovely when you remember Mauro only had nice things to say about Lawler. Hopefully Jerry didn't intend for it to be interpreted as such.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
how dare anyone skip over kushida's valiant efforts to tell bryan about back to the future

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The MR thing seems especially lovely when you remember Mauro only had nice things to say about Lawler. Hopefully Jerry didn't intend for it to be interpreted as such.

assuming Lawler wasn't being forced to say it

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
KUSHIDA has poo poo English :3:

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
F4W's long time show producer/booker of guests Doc Young passed away.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Capsaicin posted:

KUSHIDA has poo poo English :3:

Hearing him rifle through his prepared notes when it came time to answer questions was great.

I also love when he talked about who he'd like to see in the Super J Cup, and then his translator chimes in,"None of these people are necessarily booked, KUSHIDA would just like to see them there. :mad:"

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

If anybody listens to it, the latest Two Men Power Trip has Cornette once again claiming that is not a bitter old gently caress while coming across like a bitter old gently caress trying to get podcast numbers. Short summary:

- Steen and Generico were assholes to work with because they are French-Canadians which all suck
- Kenny Omega does not belong in wrestling because he once wrestled a 9-year-old girl and a blow-up doll
- Joey Ryan is a disgrace because of his dick work
- gently caress loving fuckity gently caress (repeat about 50 times)

I really hope Cornette is just working a gimmick to get that podcast money, but man, he makes Ole Anderson and Dynamite Kid look like enjoyable people to hang around with.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

assuming Lawler wasn't being forced to say it

Fair point, hadn't considered that. Still makes it shittier in hindsight though.

Germansimp posted:

If anybody listens to it, the latest Two Men Power Trip has Cornette once again claiming that is not a bitter old gently caress while coming across like a bitter old gently caress trying to get podcast numbers. Short summary:

- Steen and Generico were assholes to work with because they are French-Canadians which all suck
- Kenny Omega does not belong in wrestling because he once wrestled a 9-year-old girl and a blow-up doll

I really hope Cornette is just working a gimmick to get that podcast money, but man, he makes Ole Anderson and Dynamite Kid look like enjoyable people to hang around with.

The funny thing is he used to make fun of Ole for being such a bitter rear end in a top hat.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I had a French Canadian client at work and they were a total diva, and kind of a pain to deal with.

Also French Canadian players online are always rude.

Perhaps Corny is on to something.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I have a hard time buying Generico as a diva. And as far as Steen goes, while I'd be more inclined to believe him being one because of how blunt and outspoken he can be, I suspect the real problem is that Steen doesn't fit Cornette's idea of a wrestler and I know they disagreed about Steen's place on the card as well as Kevin's weight. Cornette himself basically said Steen agreed to go home and lose 30 lbs, only lost 20 (Corny's words, not mine or Kevin's) and insisted on getting his push because people were really into his anti-ROH gimmick at the time. As if Cornette had anybody else to rely on.

Cornette would rather push Mike goddamned Mondo. Christ Jim, he wasn't even the 2nd best Spirit Squad guy.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Flight Bisque posted:

I dunno if it counts as :filez: or not since most of them are not from free shows?

Oh, I thought it was a public facing compilation from the site or something. Nevermind, then.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Fair point, hadn't considered that. Still makes it shittier in hindsight though.

The funny thing is he used to make fun of Ole for being such a bitter rear end in a top hat.

Compared to Ole, Cornette is a sweet old uncle that says racist things at holiday parties.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Germansimp posted:

- Joey Ryan is a disgrace

When a man's right, he's right.

Teddybear posted:

Oh, I thought it was a public facing compilation from the site or something. Nevermind, then.

It's put together by a guy on the site and distributed via file sharing sites, it's not really an exclusive thing for subscribers.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Cornette is definitely a gimmick to some degree. Omega has gone on record saying that his match against the little girl was basically a favor to the promotion, which is already a comedy promotion anyway.

He can't possibly think that these things are suddenly killing the business because they make it onto YouTube in 2010. Obviously Omega's matches with a little girl and a blowup doll didn't permanent kill his drawing power otherwise he never would have main evented the Tokyo Dome and WWE wouldn't have tried to bring him in.

And no matter how crusty Cornette is, he'll have to admit that drawing power is what matters at the end of the day.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cornette's just mad that not even the OL' SOUTHERN WRASSLIN fans still think it's real

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Germansimp posted:

He's working but he also really doesn't like modern wrestling, and he has some very valid points on what is wrong with it. The Joey Ryan and Omega stuff can be explained by his dislike of comedy wrestling (His problems with Colt Cabana being the perfect example).

I also hope that last part is hyperbole, since Ole and Dynamite Kid are garbage people and Cornette is nowhere near that bitter or awful.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I like jim Cornette most of the time, but his rear end can go back to fighting ninja turtles if he wants to, I am not going to buy it as a more serious take on wrestling.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 21, 2017

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I loved when CZW kept making GBS threads on the french canadians that they kept booking and getting over despite hating the french canadians.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I liked Cornette explaining that he hated HHH for "exposing the business" with the curtain call, but now likes him due to NXT

The ultimate evolution of every internet wrestling fan has come for him

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

I have a hard time buying Generico as a diva. And as far as Steen goes, while I'd be more inclined to believe him being one because of how blunt and outspoken he can be, I suspect the real problem is that Steen doesn't fit Cornette's idea of a wrestler and I know they disagreed about Steen's place on the card as well as Kevin's weight. Cornette himself basically said Steen agreed to go home and lose 30 lbs, only lost 20 (Corny's words, not mine or Kevin's) and insisted on getting his push because people were really into his anti-ROH gimmick at the time. As if Cornette had anybody else to rely on.

Cornette would rather push Mike goddamned Mondo. Christ Jim, he wasn't even the 2nd best Spirit Squad guy.

Jim's biggest problem with Generico was that he thought the gimmick was stupid and that they would always try to push the envelope too far to get themselves over at the expense of the rest of the show.

Call Me Charlie posted:

This clip from a Kevin Steen interview was probably the most insightful comment I've heard about him (Cornette)

(link was dead) here's a longer version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0sg8V4wR8s

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 21, 2017

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Cornette wasn't necessarily wrong in a lot of his criticisms. The problem is that Steen and Generico knew what the fan base wanted and Cornette was too concerned with trying to turn ROH into some kind of 80s territory homage.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Cornette wasn't necessarily wrong in a lot of his criticisms. The problem is that Steen and Generico knew what the fan base wanted and Cornette was too concerned with trying to turn ROH into some kind of 80s territory homage.

Forgot about all those 80s territories with the fat unshaven guy as a tweener mega face.

But why are we talking about Jim Cornette when

quote:

WOR: Pete Gas talks his new book!

is a thing that exists.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pete Gas was a fun interview, probably helped by Dave being surprisingly cheerful during the whole thing.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Doc Young, a long time contributor to F4W passed away and didn't even get his own headline.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

A lot of people say Generico/Zayn rubs a lot of people the wrong way. Kevin said as such - too full of ideas, academic when others want to keep it simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T32mZoVymYw

Germansimp posted:

I think a lot of new Omega fans think he's always been his current character and so forth, but Omega has massively changed. I thought his Cleaner gimmick was stupid, and Cornette has a not unreasonable argument (that Bryan Alvarez is also constantly making) that you need to maintain a veneer of believeability to have greater audience investment to have the industry reach greater heights.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I loved when CZW kept making GBS threads on the french canadians that they kept booking and getting over despite hating the french canadians.

HAH HA let's bring in these boring scientific wrestlers, our fans will always love our garbage extreme wrestling more *accidentally creates greatest period in CZW history*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

Doc Young, a long time contributor to F4W passed away and didn't even get his own headline.

This comes off as really lovely to me, but maybe I'm just overly sensitive.

• Locked thread