Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Has anybody beaten one of those full 28-men companies of noble soldiers before? I know the guy on youtube with the lvl60 party has, but I'm wondering if conventional vl 11 bros can do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh god I know I haven't.

I finally got to play again. Apparently whatever was causing my problems just...stopped being a problem?

I had a contract to raid a goat pen. When I got there it had 13 peasants for me to kill, and on the first turn one escaped, when every other peasant was at least four to six turns away from the edges of the map (given that it was a forest). So I reload, and every time I reload, there's always one peasant that escapes on the first turn. I tried retreating immediately after a reload a few times to look at the full map, and it seems like there are no peasants physically near the edges of the map. It seems like the game, when it gave me the contract, scheduled "this will fail" into it in the background, because there was no way to stop that invisible peasant from getting away no matter how many times I reloaded.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Use dogs to stop Usain Bolt-like peasants

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Has anybody beaten one of those full 28-men companies of noble soldiers before? I know the guy on youtube with the lvl60 party has, but I'm wondering if conventional vl 11 bros can do it?

You can, its not easy and you have to be like me and gear your guys to mash armor and be pretty heavily decked in armor out yourself, I.E my entire frontline was in scale and plate. I lost a couple of brothers (luckily one was only mildly perma injured)

My party composition for the curious

2 Dual Warhammers, 2 Greatswords, 2 Shield Bros with Axes, 2 With 1 Hander hammers, 4 Warbow Archers w/ 3 Longaxes and the Banner and everyone had accessories.

Essentially you want your warbows to pick off the arbalists who will rush out to get off some potshots and expose themselves, then next priority is billmen because they lack shields focus on taking out the guys in light armor some of the footmen/billmen actually are just wearing an aketon under their tabard.

Once they get within a tile have your two handers jump out and start hacking using adrenaline rush to get a second hit in and focus on making sure these are either splits or swings to maximize units hit, if your lucky you can kill and or cripple 4-8 guys in this initial push which is really important as your two handers then either have to recover for a turn or so, or they just get reduced to single high DPS attacks I had one greatsword guy who could ad.rush and bezerker 4 attacks before he got exhausted, however that was mostly lucky rolls on a dude.

once your guys lock lines focus down zweihanders or sarge's as they hit hard. Footmen are mostly just meatshields and unless they are carrying a pick aren't terribly dangerous and can mostly be left alone they will only usually make one attack and again unless its the pick, sword slashes and mace bashes aren't the most dangerous attacks, plus they have pretty poor melee skills. Zweihanders are squishy and even with their unique helmet, usually have alot less head armor so head attacks on them will kill them fairly quick... on expert they do have bezerker so don't let them get a kill otherwise they will do a ton of damage.

The enemy knights usually 1-3 have a ton of armor, but will tire themselves out, try to mark them up against your "best" defensive brother unlike orc warriors you should break their shields as they have a high melee defense skill already and with their shields+shieldwall are an exercise in futility hitting.

Also as your fighting once you take a guy down drop a doggo, they aren't that dangerous, but because they have terrible melee defense the enemy will prioritize hitting them which depending on the dog rolls can be ablative armor for a turn or two for a brother.

Overall avoid these fights even with a well kitted out company they are fiendishly tough, I had an easier time clearing out the goblin city than this company, although not as hard as the monolith.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 21, 2017

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Wizard Styles posted:

e: Also, I lucked out and got 3 bros with Iron Lungs.

What's the seed out of curiosity?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
For those with >6 non-shieldbros, how do you protect those that aren't behind a shield or shieldbro? Are you giving your 2handers shields to hold for the first rush? Even with a 2hander dude with high teens innate defenses they still take enough incidental ranged hits to cause issue, especially with goblin poison. I wish the AI didn't 100% always attack the dude with the lowest ranged defense, as it makes it a binary system of one dude is always a target and no one else is ever a target unless LOS or range affects that.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Jack2142 posted:

You can, its not easy and you have to be like me and gear your guys to mash armor and be pretty heavily decked in armor out yourself, I.E my entire frontline was in scale and plate. I lost a couple of brothers (luckily one was only mildly perma injured)

Overall avoid these fights even with a well kitted out company they are fiendishly tough, I had an easier time clearing out the goblin city than this company, although not as hard as the monolith.

drat, well I feel better about getting murked now. I was trying to catch a supply wagon for a mission, and 28 soldiers jumped out of a city and ambushed me.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

For those with >6 non-shieldbros, how do you protect those that aren't behind a shield or shieldbro? Are you giving your 2handers shields to hold for the first rush? Even with a 2hander dude with high teens innate defenses they still take enough incidental ranged hits to cause issue, especially with goblin poison. I wish the AI didn't 100% always attack the dude with the lowest ranged defense, as it makes it a binary system of one dude is always a target and no one else is ever a target unless LOS or range affects that.

Two hander guys aren't very good against gobbos, just give them one-handed stuff and shields and try to hit them head on. Send out a bunch of dogs too. Also, fight them at night.

Otherwise, my two-handers take hits without issue. I usually take Steel Brow though.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 21, 2017

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I have not lost a single brother to goblins since changing my tactics to:
Fight at night
Everyone gets spears or swords and kites
3+ dogs

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Everyone gets a kite shield and quick hands if they're going to be switching weapons. If they're not switching weapons everyone just gets a kite shield.

You don't even need to give them a 1h weapon (i do, but if i do its a sword/dagger). When they get close enough, swing away.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I did it out of necessity during the noble war (it was against 26 men) and lost 1 brother but won. Most of my men were level 10-11, the one who died was level 8 I think; he didn't die for being underlevelled but just because I positioned him badly and he got focused down before I could get him out of the front line.

It's pretty much the same principle as fighting slightly smaller groups of noble troops, you just need to be confident you can outlast them (fatigue and armour are the main concerns).

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Yesterday I was delivering some goods when some guys jumped my group. They had poor timing as there was some army traveling along the road next to me. The 6v6 turned into a 36v6 haha

Also I'm on day 32, lost one guy total and I'm killing it with 9 guys. I was trying to find someone's lost treasure or something very early on and found a war scythe instead. This game is awesome

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I got a named tier 3 spear rather early that's basically been my recruit spear. Very handy to have.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I rarely find a fight against two dozen opponents, but when I do, it is immediately after I didn't choose the "defeat more than 24 opponents" ambition.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
News post today from the devs about the art book and stuff

quote:

The Next Step
Development on Battle Brothers will continue as we start working on the 1.1 update. It’s going to be a moderately sized one that adds lots of little things that didn’t quite make it into the release, like some additional events and contracts that were left on the cutting room floor, as well as various quality of life improvements suggested by you. By now, some balancing and pacing issues have also come to light which the update will address. The update will be free and not require you to start a new campaign.

As mentioned previously, all of us are going to take some vacation at different times over the course of the next month or so. For this reason, we can’t give an exact ETA of when the update will hit. We’ll also not resume our weekly dev blogs for this, as there won’t be any new game mechanics to talk about. By the time the update has been finished, we’ll have come to a decision on whether we’ll continue to develop Battle Brothers with a full-sized paid expansion/DLC or move on to develop a new game.
I hope they make an expansion. I would definitely buy it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah this feels like the kind of game they could milk for years. I really hope they stick with it!

marshmallow creep posted:

I rarely find a fight against two dozen opponents, but when I do, it is immediately after I didn't choose the "defeat more than 24 opponents" ambition.

Fight zombies. I think each resurrection counts as an additional kill.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

grrarg posted:

News post today from the devs about the art book and stuff

I hope they make an expansion. I would definitely buy it.

How dare they take vacations!

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

They're so reasonable and measured too, really dig the whole "actual human" schtick they got going on.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Is there anyway to stop the multiple resurrections with zombies? It seems partially scripted when you kill one there is a chance more will pop up.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

I haven't been specifically keeping track, but I haven't noticed a single Wiederganger revive more than once outside of the Necromancer ability. You can also do fatalities with cleavers that chop heads off to stop resurrections, and most bladed weapons can do it on kill just by chance. I've noticed it most with 2h axes and swords, especially.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bought the game and I'm already sold after my first game (which ended in abject failure after ~30 minutes).

After the first tutorial battle I recruited a poor miller who wanted a new start in life after his farm burned down. I gave him a crossbow figuring that'd keep him out of the melee. Well, in the first turn of his first battle a bandit immediately shot him and he died making GBS threads himself, having been with the company for two days and earning 11 gold pieces.

A few days later I fought a bunch of bandits and won after taking a beating. We were camped out trying to bandage our wounds when a second bandit group ambushed us. In the melee one of my starting characters got taken down, which caused everyone else's morale to plummet and they were all hacked apart in disarray on the next few turns.

This game's loving BRUTAL.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah, I'd put it up there with roguelikes like TOME in difficulty/reward curve (in Ironman.) You can lose a 30 hour company by putting ~3 dudes in bad positioning at the start of a any of the top-tier fights. Nobles will tank you down, Orcs will crush you like a bug, and Undead will slowly bleed you dry.

I'm a true believer in Ironman (helps me avoid bad reloading habits) but I'd recommend any new players jog through a easy campaign with saves enabled to get a feel for the potential pain ahead.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

That feeling when you try to take a bandit camp with two master archers with legendary warbows... that was awful.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
hoo boy, just got a caravan hand with dexterous, optimist, 3 stars in fatigue and initiative, and a star in melee defense, in addition to a solid 58 base melee

im ready

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

"optimist" is a little on the nose

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

guess i found my sergeant too

edit:

do not accept food from your wildman

fishception fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 22, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I haven't been specifically keeping track, but I haven't noticed a single Wiederganger revive more than once outside of the Necromancer ability. You can also do fatalities with cleavers that chop heads off to stop resurrections, and most bladed weapons can do it on kill just by chance. I've noticed it most with 2h axes and swords, especially.

This doesn't work any longer, the wiedergänger just revives without a head.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tias posted:

This doesn't work any longer, the wiedergänger just revives without a head.

Are you sure that was a weiderganger and not a fallen hero?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Are you sure that was a weiderganger and not a fallen hero?

Um, not any longer lol. It has happened twice, but it might have been a fallen hero.

(all undead look the same to me :ohdear: )

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Tias posted:

Um, not any longer lol. It has happened twice, but it might have been a fallen hero.

(all undead look the same to me :ohdear: )

Hey now, we don't hold with anti-deadite prejudice around here. :mad:

Tias
May 25, 2008

I try not to, but they could integrate into murderhobo society better, so I don't first realize it's a necrosavant when they rush me in the guise of bats :argh:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I just had a brother talk another out of the dastard trait by explaining that being sliced open in combat is one of the quicker ways to die.

Am I gonna get an event by letting my guys live on Strange Meat captured from orcs for a while?

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
Does letting strangers camp with you for the night ever go bad? 100% for me so far has just been some story, usually about orcs killing people. I'd imagine not since I've yet to receive any tangible benefit from it.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I'm 2 for 2 with nothing but a story from that event. One of my guys did get sick and not magical powers from eating random herbs he found though

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

I just had a brother talk another out of the dastard trait by explaining that being sliced open in combat is one of the quicker ways to die.

Am I gonna get an event by letting my guys live on Strange Meat captured from orcs for a while?

Liu posted:

Does letting strangers camp with you for the night ever go bad? 100% for me so far has just been some story, usually about orcs killing people. I'd imagine not since I've yet to receive any tangible benefit from it.

These together remind me of the stranger story about how fortunate it was that a dude got cut in half and survived for a really long time, talking about his wife and family and such. I don't think that stranger understands how it's probably better to get killed instantly instead of lying in shock for hours staring at the sky while you bleed out from the waist down.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Does your rep with the noble houses you fought during the noble war reset once the war concludes, or did I just lock myself out of the top and bottom of my current map?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Spakstik posted:

Does your rep with the noble houses you fought during the noble war reset once the war concludes, or did I just lock myself out of the top and bottom of my current map?

it resets.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Does adding a brother with the merchant background really reduce prices for you? If so how does that work?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Spakstik posted:

It resets to cold though, so you need to do some legwork before those settlements get positive again.

I sat out half my noble war because two families on my map owned the only convenient trade route between them.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

Does adding a brother with the merchant background really reduce prices for you? If so how does that work?

Anecdotal I know, but I noticed more success in haggling contract payouts when I had a peddler on my team than without. Haggling does so little I stopped doing it, but I think that may be what its bonus is. It may also be shop prices in general but I never thought to check prices, fire/hire a Peddler, then check again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Has anyone tried making a "bait" Bro with low defenses but very heavy armor and HP? If so, how did you build them and how did it work?