Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

...Sara is a great character, but saying she has her poo poo together in the emotional sense is really pushing it. I also don't really recall her particularly helping Rean in that regard other than shoving huge amounts of work on him in order to distract him from his own issues, and let the people he's interacting with in said work help him work through his issues.

Like sure, you can use the reasoning that Rean needs someone with their poo poo together, but Sara really doesn't fit, as she has huge issues of her own, involving both her previous career paths along with where she's from. Towa does mostly fit that criteria, but the other older individual who gets a decent amount of time with him and fits that reasoning is probably Claire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Huh,kinda surprised at the lack of Fie love, but I guess that barely counts since it's written as a platonic relationship if you go all in on bonding.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Fie is a better little sister than Elise ever will be

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely think that Emma makes the most sense as someone for Rean in that she's basically level-headed and down to Earth in a way that grounds him while having enough of her own weird-rear end issues that he can support her which is basically something Rean needs to do or he will literally die of failure to headpat. Plus they can share a cat-friend and from a thematic perspective they mirror Vita and Crowe. Alisa as the Canon Love Interest always feels weird to me because out of the list of people who actually seem to mesh well with Rean she seems pretty near the bottom.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Sara>Laura=Fie=Towa. Emma doesnt Rank because glasses and well, every other female character is before Alisa.

Claire comes with a bunch of daddy issues since its unlikely she'll just abandon The Hulk, while Sara would take Rean away from most of his troubles and be badass Buddy Cops Bracers, with the occasional guest appearances of Toval being a 3rd wheel. So Sara also represents Rean's True Life Calling TM.

But we all know the true answer is for Rean to be Platonic Life Buddies with Gaius and move to Nord and become a shepherd before Adios talks to him and makes him become Zemerian Moses.

In all honesty, as fun as this nonsense was, I'd gladly trade it for a fully focused canon romance in a heartbeat.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
It's Becky.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Alisa as the Canon Love Interest always feels weird to me because out of the list of people who actually seem to mesh well with Rean she seems pretty near the bottom.

Has this ever been posted here?

I kinda wonder if her being treated as a co-lead by covers is just inertia from initial concepts (before they decided Market Trends call for a dude with a harem as a protagonist).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OddObserver posted:

Has this ever been posted here?

I kinda wonder if her being treated as a co-lead by covers is just inertia from initial concepts (before they decided Market Trends call for a dude with a harem as a protagonist).

That would explain a whole hell of a lot.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

oh hey test girl

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Alisa as the Canon Love Interest always feels weird to me because out of the list of people who actually seem to mesh well with Rean she seems pretty near the bottom.

Rean and Alisa have good chemistry that gets smothered beneath piles and piles of Waifu Slapstick

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've gone full Rean/Alisa in both games and I really like it and am strongly invested in their relationship

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Last Celebration posted:

Huh,kinda surprised at the lack of Fie love, but I guess that barely counts since it's written as a platonic relationship if you go all in on bonding.

I've got a Fie-ling.

But on another note, Fie's gets slightly less non-platonic near the end. Though Rean/Alisa is pretty great.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really agree with that. Of the girls, Alisa often seems to be spending the largest amount of time trying to figure out Rean's way of thinking. She herself says so during her final bonding event in CS2.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Best girl might be Aurelia, if we're talking older responsible ladies.

I'm not opposed, Rean.:colbert:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

...Sara is a great character, but saying she has her poo poo together in the emotional sense is really pushing it. I also don't really recall her particularly helping Rean in that regard other than shoving huge amounts of work on him in order to distract him from his own issues, and let the people he's interacting with in said work help him work through his issues.

Like sure, you can use the reasoning that Rean needs someone with their poo poo together, but Sara really doesn't fit, as she has huge issues of her own, involving both her previous career paths along with where she's from. Towa does mostly fit that criteria, but the other older individual who gets a decent amount of time with him and fits that reasoning is probably Claire.

Sara voted most likely to drag Rean to the bar and force some drinks down his throat so the dude can vent.

No but seriously:
"You're experienced. Reliable. Always ahead of us, just out of reach, but guiding us forward... You're strict sometimes, but you're always compassionate, and you bury your weaknesses deep down to be someone we can rely on. And somewhere along the way, I started to hope that one day, I'll finally be able to catch up to you."
That's how Rean describes Sara in their final bonding event, and I'd bet that's how many of his classmates would describe their relationship to Rean, which is why I think that relationship works: They can rean on each other.

Towa also works, but I think Claire's Osborne Connection makes that whole situation way too awkward for the both of them.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Terper posted:

Sara voted most likely to drag Rean to the bar and force some drinks down his throat so the dude can vent.

No but seriously:
"You're experienced. Reliable. Always ahead of us, just out of reach, but guiding us forward... You're strict sometimes, but you're always compassionate, and you bury your weaknesses deep down to be someone we can rely on. And somewhere along the way, I started to hope that one day, I'll finally be able to catch up to you."
That's how Rean describes Sara in their final bonding event, and I'd bet that's how many of his classmates would describe their relationship to Rean, which is why I think that relationship works: They can rean on each other.

Towa also works, but I think Claire's Osborne Connection makes that whole situation way too awkward for the both of them.

High Five!

For both agreeing with me and the spit take that pun made me do.

If you can spit out 50 more puns on that level, you'd be a great LPer.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Alisa4life.

I do wonder how the old class 7 crew will factor into III, with all the focus their putting on the new characters it almost feels like there won't be enough space for them.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Shinjobi posted:

Best girl might be Aurelia, if we're talking older responsible ladies.

I'm not opposed, Rean.:colbert:

Aurelia is the chick who was completely indifferent to the political aspects of Cayenne's insurgery and picked a side purely because Zechs Vander was on the other.

I'm not sure responsible is a word that really applies to her. :raise:

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Erpy posted:

Aurelia is the chick who was completely indifferent to the political aspects of Cayenne's insurgery and picked a side purely because Zechs Vander was on the other.

I'm not sure responsible is a word that really applies to her. :raise:

Looking at this I'm left wondering one thing.

Who decided to go to the Reeve's school first, Rean or Aurelia? If it's been said I don't recall it.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
She's very responsible about murder

Wrt Reeve's school, it wasn't explicitly stated iirc, but the implication seems to be that Aurelia was forced to join while Rean willingly went for it to avoid getting dragged into politics, so it's quite possible that Rean picked first.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The latest character bio translations seem to indicate that for Aurelia, it's unknown at this time why she chose to become the principal, which is why they sent a presumed Iron Blood to keep an eye on her.

Fie is capital G Great. I like all of the girl characters to varying degrees, with Laura/Fie/Sara probably my fave trio. Some of Emma's story I found a bit irritating but whatever, by the end of CS2 I'm over it. On the hand the guys are...well Jusis and Rean are great, and Machias has his moments. But Elliot and especially Gaius are super boring.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
To be fair the whole point of Elliot is that he's normal, the problem is that you have to wait until his hometown to get some insight into his character besides "he kinda likes music" unless you waste bonding points on him that could go towards your super cool teacher, tiny senpai, and the chill tiny ninja girl. I like him well enough, his whole deal about (spoilers I guess? There are probably some people who are waiting for the PC port and read the thread for other Falcom poo poo) being essentially forced to go to Thors as a halfassed compromise because it was the only thing closes to what he really wanted feels like a very real thing that could happen to anyone, which is kinda the point

I like all these dumb kids I guess!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gideon's artifact is put together again and Elliot gets his grubby hands all over it and somehow this brings him into some kind of relevance.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If I start SC will I have enough time to finish it before 3rd comes out???

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Believe in yourself and anything's possible.

But, ah, you'll have to hurry a bit.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I did basically everything possible in SC and my playthrough was 91 hours, that's not even 4 days you've got plenty of time left, just ignore sleeping/working/school for a while.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Also use Cheat Engine to speed up battles

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't think that's gonna work on PSP

Well Vita but you know what I mean.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is 3rd coming out on PSP/Vita?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Really Pants posted:

Is 3rd coming out on PSP/Vita?
I'm pretty sure it is not.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No, not even XSeed are insane enough to try releasing a PSP game in 2017.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Which doesn't stop people yelling about it at xseed on twitter, in the face of all sense and reason.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well there is a native Vita version but they've stuck with the original ones for all the TiTS games for whatever reason I've forgotten. That's getting to be an increasingly shaky proposition too though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wonder if it would be easier to just license/create a self-contained version of ppsspp that only runs PSP Zero/Ao than get Falcom to create a PC port of Ao from scratch.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Sakurazuka posted:

Well there is a native Vita version but they've stuck with the original ones for all the TiTS games for whatever reason I've forgotten. That's getting to be an increasingly shaky proposition too though.

The "whatever reason" was the fact that the Evo versions of the Sky games weren't made by Falcom, but by Kadowaka and Chara-Ani. In addition to the difficulties of brokering a business agreement with two more parties involved (who may not even be interested in an international business deal), having to split the profits across 4 rather than 2 parties would sink, rather than boost profitability. And even if they somehow managed a deal, there'd still be a high chance that they wouldn't be allowed to use the voice track, forcing XSeed to finance a dub much larger than Cold Steel's or leave out the voices altogether, leaving western buyers with games that had less expressive dialogue portraits, a soundtrack of very varying quality and more unbalanced gameplay. Compared to that, the retweaked PC versions are much better options.

Nate RFB posted:

I wonder if it would be easier to just license/create a self-contained version of ppsspp that only runs PSP Zero/Ao than get Falcom to create a PC port of Ao from scratch.

Assuming they'd be allowed to use the Joyoland versions, I don't think it is. All Falcom did for the PC version of Zero was strip the DRM and re-import the Japanese script, neither of which are massive undertakings.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 21, 2017

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

If you mean the Evo versions then I believe they're not actually developed by Falcom, plus they have voice acting and stuff which presumably makes it all a bit of a mess with getting a hold of the rights rather than just being able to go through Falcom as usual. Also from what I've heard they're not actually that great - not balanced as well as the original games, new character portraits which aren't as good, remade versions of all the music tracks which are mostly worse than before and so on. It's not like I've played them though, this is all just hearsay.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I romanced laura despite being close to last on my list. For two games.

Sharon not being an option sucked.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I challenge the guy that said Gaius is boring to a life and death duel.

Gaius is by far the best male character in the series. Expect lots of him in CS3 since he never got a plotline like the rest of the class and ~Backstory~.
Dude is chill, and even more so than Rean kept the class together as the big brother that never lost his cool. And if he got close it was the most tense moments of the game. Brb going through my 9000 screenshots of the games again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What did you think all of the Nord content was for if it wasn't meant to be the "Gaius Backstory"? With Falcom shifting the focus to the West side of the Empire for CS3 I can't see them wanting to subject players to that experience again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You met his family, learned his story with his mentor, and saved his home like twice. The heck more do you think there is