Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

MuffinsAndPie posted:

When embracing a faction's governing ethic, is there any way to tell which ethic it's going to replace? Right now I have Xenophobic, spiritualist, and militarist, and I plan on becoming a fanatic purifier after I research this psionics card.

The one that has the least attraction will be dropped, unless the one gained is replacing an opposing ethos.

Edit: And you can see what ethics a faction is by hovering over the 'Embrace Faction' button, they always have 'You can't be Fanatic X' of their ethos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Chomp8645 posted:

This doesn't sound like a good fix. With this you MUST grab it early or it's not worth getting ever. Although I grant you that's still better than it being a MUST PICK in every game.

The whole idea behind PCS is stupid and it should be thrown out wholesale. Replace it with a boost to research stations and/or observation stations and/or frontier outposts. Sensible and thematic.

I think I've got to agree with this, or at least the throwing out the current mechanic part. Maybe a strong bonus to survey speed and science ship sublight speed? That keeps in line with the other part of the tradition line.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Chomp8645 posted:

This doesn't sound like a good fix. With this you MUST grab it early or it's not worth getting ever. Although I grant you that's still better than it being a MUST PICK in every game.

The whole idea behind PCS is stupid and it should be thrown out wholesale. Replace it with a boost to research stations and/or observation stations and/or frontier outposts. Sensible and thematic.

I agree that would be better, but unfortunately it can't be done. As far as I can tell there are no modifiers for orbital station output. In any case this is just a quick and dirty fix to prevent PSC from basically breaking the game, I'd love to dump the concept but I have zero ideas for things that Science Better and aren't just duplicates of other Discovery traditions so :shrug:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Guildencrantz posted:

I agree that would be better, but unfortunately it can't be done. As far as I can tell there are no modifiers for orbital station output. In any case this is just a quick and dirty fix to prevent PSC from basically breaking the game, I'd love to dump the concept but I have zero ideas for things that Science Better and aren't just duplicates of other Discovery traditions so :shrug:

Sorry I didn't mean "Here is what should be done and I expect you, forums poster Guildencrantz, to make it happen". It shouldn't be up to modders to fix things that are so broken that you can tell they are broken just by reading the description, even before play testing. Paradox is the one who should throw out the whole tradition and make a new one.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Guildencrantz posted:

Make labs and science stations cost less upkeep.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Make Frontier Outposts give a 5% research bonus.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
Give a substantial (25ish%?) to all one-time anomaly events that just give you a pile of research, and then increase special project research speed for any science ship-based special projects by some other amount?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Oh god no the current mechanic is at least a mechanic that alters the way you play, please dont change it to other stupid ignorable minor modifier.

If we have to seriously nerf it, still make it feel like its doong something. Like, let it allow science ships to scan down a whole system in one go right from the edge as a single scan action. Or let it uncover a bunch of unique events or otherwise hidden systems when in a bordering system.

Something, anything but a minor number modifier.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

GlyphGryph posted:

Oh god no the current mechanic is at least a mechanic that alters the way you play, please dont change it to other stupid ignorable minor mod.
While I agree that unique mechanics are better than simple percentage bonuses, I'm not sure a bounty for surveying does really change the way you play. Outside of maybe making you turn down trading star charts, which is probably a bad thing.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Strudel Man posted:

While I agree that unique mechanics are better than simple percentage bonuses, I'm not sure a bounty for surveying does really change the way you play. Outside of maybe making you turn down trading star charts, which is probably a bad thing.

Yeah I'm saying no well into the late game and freaking out when someone offers them like Gollum

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
PCS being bad and minor % modifiers also being boring and two facts that can coexist without conflict. It is not unreasonable to expect a veteran game development studio to be able to make a thing that is neither bad nor boring. Nobody really cares what it is specifically, just that it is not bad or boring.

You can do it, Paradox.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
I really like PCS,

i'm still playing my first utopia game, and this is the first time i managed to research stuff and exspand at the same time.

I'd like to see a hard cap on unity levels/research levels, so that more colonizes just doesn't overkill your progress ability.

I'm always playing 1000 star galaxy btw.
There's alot of things that doesn't scale well with larger galaxy also.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Descar posted:

I really like PCS,

i'm still playing my first utopia game, and this is the first time i managed to research stuff and exspand at the same time.

I'd like to see a hard cap on unity levels/research levels, so that more colonizes just doesn't overkill your progress ability.

I'm always playing 1000 star galaxy btw.
There's alot of things that doesn't scale well with larger galaxy also.

Maybe don't make going wide the only good plan even more.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Lprsti99 posted:

I disagree with this, the game is less interesting when it's not pushing you to compete for limited resources.

With that said I think Unity generation is fine, you just need to go Expansion if you plan on colonizing like crazy and make sure each planet has a few unity buildings.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah in my current game I've been expanding a lot and not specializing in unity in any way, just building a unity thing on most of my planets and I still have more traditions than I really need.

I think the whole tradition thing is a nice idea, but it might still need some tweaking. Like give each category more choices but make it harder to get everything. If I'm playing Fanatic Militarist conquering assholes, it feels stupid to pick traditions in the Diplomacy and Harmony trees just because I have nothing else left to pick.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is there actually any way to figure out what traditions an AI has?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Nordick posted:

Yeah in my current game I've been expanding a lot and not specializing in unity in any way, just building a unity thing on most of my planets and I still have more traditions than I really need.

I think the whole tradition thing is a nice idea, but it might still need some tweaking. Like give each category more choices but make it harder to get everything. If I'm playing Fanatic Militarist conquering assholes, it feels stupid to pick traditions in the Diplomacy and Harmony trees just because I have nothing else left to pick.

I'm inclined to agree. I generally prefer things to be balanced by opportunity cost rather than hard restrictions (e.g, the Offensive vs. Defensive dichotomy in EU3, which was removed in EU4), but it's really weird to me that the game pretty much expects you to grab all of them.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I'm sure it's been mentioned earlier, but I skipped 500 posts to come here and say that being able to terraform inhabited planets and take resources from sectors are possibly two of the best improvements ever made to the game.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Yeah, it's kind of odd that you could only terraform places before settling, as it means you end up with cruddy worlds in your core and gaia paradises on the periphery.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Crazycryodude posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned earlier, but I skipped 500 posts to come here and say that being able to terraform inhabited planets and take resources from sectors are possibly two of the best improvements ever made to the game.

For real. Also, it would be nice if sector Consumer Goods costs could be paid by the player rather than the sectors themselves; the way it is now they don't seem to understand that they have to generate minerals in order to upgrade their poo poo.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I have played a few games, and both of my really successful games have been as pacifist empires where I expanded without any wars and then snowballed viciously. Which was satisfying, but is also kind of boring if I am to be entirely honest. The Unbidden and Prethoryn spawn but are not really a match for my 120k fleet that has been conquering FEs.

Speaking of FEs, I think it would be nice if the FEs interacted more with players. The ones I think of the most matching the FEs in Stellaris are the Vorlon and Shadows in Babylon 5 and both interacted a bunch with the younger races. There could be a a ton of interactions and event chains interacting with the FEs, like the Holy Guardians doing things with Spiritual empires or trying to convert other empires to be more Spiritual. Right now they're just blocks that you can't do much with, but I feel like they have so much more potential to affect the politics of the galaxy around them a long time before a War in Heaven.

Now I am trying to play an aggressive slaver empire to challenge myself, and I am finding it pretty rough. My most recent game I started with mods, so I started on a ruined ring world. This had the weird quirk of forcing the spawn of a completely ruined ringworld not too far away and I'm on the outer rim on a 4 spiral arm galaxy. spinward there's a Stellarite Devourer. Now 50 years into the game I have triggered the Horizon Signal questline.

This is a very weird game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What game file determines the minimum distance military stations can be from each other? I want to drop it down so you can actually build little clusters and maybe make stations useful.\

The closest I could find it
MILITARY_STATION_DISTANCE = 40.0 # Distance from planet to where military station should be built

But that looks more like it's telling the AI where to build stations, rather than setting the range more stations can be built.

Is it this in ship sizes?
@build_block_radius_none = 0
@build_block_radius_tiny = 10
@build_block_radius_small = 70
@build_block_radius_medium = 90
@build_block_radius_large = 110

Also poo poo, yeah that must be it, but the ship power plant mod I like modifies this. I remember someone else was mentioning this exact thing like a week ago. Where does steam even store workshop mods and why it is all obfuscated behind a million serial numbers? is there an easier way to find a specific mod, copy the guts out and make my own mod mod?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 21, 2017

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
SPECIES SUBMISSION

The Rothak Clans are a brutish and imposing species of hard-shelled juggernauts, lending to their ancient heritage. Their homeworld has always provided a rich and abundant biosphere, nurturing their herculean physical characteristics. This natural strength also encourages a culture of tribalism and bravado; daring feats of courage lend more political power than simple words. Despite their unwieldy nature, the Rothaki more than make up for it with strength and the will to prove it. As the ocean of stars open to them, the Rothak Clans cannot help but rise to the challenge.

https://pastebin.com/embed_js/F0hyw8Yd

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

The last star I need to analyze for The Star Search Project is a black hole. Currently occupied by the Dimensional Horror. :negative:

Rayjenkins what flag pack is that background from? I love it :eyepop: (Also nice krogans)

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 21, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

This is the rarest achievement, even though it's just "invade five pre-space planets as a xenophobe"

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

This is the rarest achievement, even though it's just "invade five pre-space planets as a xenophobe"

my guess is that if it's the rarest achievement that probably just means it's broken right now

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just got it :shrug:

It's uh... really not worth it? +3 food not affected by tiles, -100 opinion

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

God. I know it doesn't necessarily have to be the most competitive option, but that's just laughable.

My current annoyance is people in my joyous, cybernetic empire to migrate FROM planets to which they're perfectly suited TO planets of opposing type just because they now have 50% habitability there. :|

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Crazycryodude posted:

Is this a future change or something? This makes it sound like it's already live but unless I'm missing something obvious I can do neither of these things.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Gadzuko posted:

Is this a future change or something? This makes it sound like it's already live but unless I'm missing something obvious I can do neither of these things.

it's a change coming in 1.6

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Stellaris's faults really come down to the design choices in a lot of places. When purging, processing is totally worth it because you get 5 food per pop until they're all gone. As livestock a slave produces 0.5 more food than a slave on a farm without a food tile bonus and less if the farm is placed on a food tile. There is no scenario where it's worth keeping slaves as livestock because of the disincentive to keep worthless planets with no buildings around. Unity costs are just too prohibitive to not make every planet an industrialized hellscape.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are any of the slavery options other than "slave" worth it?

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
So I'm having a lot of fun with this game and have a good hang of getting a decent sized empire with happy population and a buzzing economy.

BUT:

I am hopeless at the fleet design thing. I've multiple games where I happily peacefully expand until some xenophobic empire declares war on me. Our fleet strength is the same, and my 6-7k fleet goes against their 5k fleet-and is completely wiped out, with almost no casualties on the other end. I've googled fleet design guides, but they seem inconsistent. Do I go with torpedo corvettes? Big ships with kinetic artillery? Big ships with plasma throwers?? Whatever I try I seem to get wiped out.

With the 1.5 patch, is there a definitive reliable guide to fleet design?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

my guess is that if it's the rarest achievement that probably just means it's broken right now

Or maybe only the crazy people here wanted to actively eat other aliens.

Then again, it took a while to actually find the 'rights' page for even my home species. It's under Demographics.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Nordick posted:

It's really convenient actually because you can build the Monument and Symbol of Unity (and I think Alien Visitor Center?) without upgrading your ship shelter. I hate to build the "basic" buildings so this gives me something to build right away on newly-colonized planets besides some labs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So many hours put into the game, doing my first purge. It feels really bad, I don't like this and no one likes me now. But this spiritualist awoken empire has no place in my nation.
Also I'm sick as gently caress home from work and robotripping and playing Stellaris...

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 21, 2017

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Lprsti99 posted:

I feel like going wide is always the more fun option, as you get to explore and expand more..
They shouldn't limit going wide just because going tall is basically limiting yourself.
Earlier Habitats, or more/other types like underground/atmoshere/underwater habitats or smaller dyson spheres could make going tall better and making use of each star system to the maxmium.

anyway, im 103 years into the game, with 155 colonies and need 70+ months for each tradition, and i make 3.950 unity each month.
technology is the same, i had to beat FE's with Coilguns (tier II) even with PCS! :)

Searching debris is only way to advance myself, and it probably a lot more OP then PCS itself.
Strength through numbers is the fun way.

Game is really fun, but the UI and Sectors needs looking into.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Baronjutter posted:

So many hours put into the game, doing my first purge. It feels really bad, I don't like this and no one likes me now. But this spiritualist awoken empire has no place in my nation.
Also I'm sick as gently caress home from work and robotripping and playing Stellaris...

Nobody liking you isn't a problem at all, you just purge them too. Embrace the ways of the Purifier and their comical fire rate bonuses.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Are any of the slavery options other than "slave" worth it?

Caste system is far better than just enslaving an entire race unless you want to micromanage their tile placement and growth for your entire empire.

If you're asking about domestic servitude vs. chattel slavery, then no. Battle thralls maybe, if you want to use a strong race for your armies, but domestic servitude is pretty terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just managed to successfully complete the Infinity Machine mission, but it just so happens to lie right outside my border in the buffer zone a militant isolationist fallen empire has declared off limits. And trying to build an outpost or put down a colony to get Pantagruel within my borders will always lead to the fallen empire declaring war on me. Since I have zero hope of defeating them, is there any way to just let them smack me around and go home while still holding onto the territory

• Locked thread