Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

What if Jimmy goes to jail and meets Kuby and/or Huell

This is exactly what needs to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
The show is set in 2002. The date showed up last episode. I think Jessie is supposed be 26 in bb, set in 2008. Its a stretch getting him to play a 20 yo, but its not as bad as a high schooler.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

FogHelmut posted:

I am totally fine with never seeing Jesse Pinkman or Walter White in this series.

I will go ahead and say that either of those two showing up would be a detriment.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Jimmy could get his car washed by Walt, since it's an encounter neither of them would particularly remember (Saul actually does say "that was you?" re: the car wash at one point).

I do not especially think this would be a worthwhile scene, but if they were to do it that would be pretty much the only way.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

If Walt or Jesse ever show up in BCS it'll be in one of the black and white flashforward scenes.

vvv lol

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

El Jeffe posted:

If Walt or Jesse ever show up in BCS it'll be in one of the black and white flashforward scenes.

Walt's ghost pining for a Cinnabon?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

I'm honestly more excited to see the show introduce Lalo than in seeing Gus. A so-far unseen cartel bigwig who Jimmy and Nacho pull one over on, leaving Jimmy looking over his shoulder all the way into the BB era? Gimme that storyline, Vince.

francesca appearing in this episode makes it virtually certain that Huell will show up before BCS is done, which is what i'm waiting for

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Only person from BB I would like to see show up is Huell. And then maybe give him a spinoff show or something.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

mallratcal posted:

Only person from BB I would like to see show up is Huell. And then maybe give him a spinoff show or something.

I could see Huell at a Cinnabon.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
A Huell spinoff would be very short lived since it would just be the DEA finding his body in the safe house Hank left him in like a year after BB ended

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The last scene of the last episode of this show should be a disheveled Jesse showing up at the cinabon. Fade to Black.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I hope something stupid happens like an old Saul Goodman commercial becomes viral on youtube, and Saul/Gene/Jimmy no longer even has the choice to hide.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Supercar Gautier posted:

(Saul actually does say "that was you?" re: the car wash at one point).

Wait wait, what? When?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

GobiasIndustries posted:

I will go ahead and say that either of those two showing up would be a detriment.

I agree. If it was to happen (which it shouldn't) I think they should just show the scene where they grabbed him on the street from his perspective, and only show them from the footage from Breaking Bad. That or Saul greeting the uncle of his newest client who of course turns out to be Walt.

Even then it would be bad, the show should end with Jimmy firmly ensconced as Saul and then some resolution of the flash-forward, and not try to connect up with Breaking Bad beyond that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jerusalem posted:

I agree. If it was to happen (which it shouldn't) I think they should just show the scene where they grabbed him on the street from his perspective, and only show them from the footage from Breaking Bad. That or Saul greeting the uncle of his newest client who of course turns out to be Walt.

Even then it would be bad, the show should end with Jimmy firmly ensconced as Saul and then some resolution of the flash-forward, and not try to connect up with Breaking Bad beyond that.

Yeah but here's the thing; this show is meant to stand on its own. The entire reason that Jimmy/Saul ends up as Gene is due to all of the lovely things that Walt got him mixed up in. I have no idea how they're going to wrangle that into BCS.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah but here's the thing; this show is meant to stand on its own. The entire reason that Jimmy/Saul ends up as Gene is due to all of the lovely things that Walt got him mixed up in. I have no idea how they're going to wrangle that into BCS.

This show absolutely stands on its own. Going from Jimmy to Saul has nothing to do with Breaking Bad.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

GobiasIndustries posted:

This show absolutely stands on its own. Going from Jimmy to Saul has nothing to do with Breaking Bad.

You're missing my point; for those who haven't seen breaking bad, how is this show going to handle that whole Gene thing if it is supposed to stand on its own?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You're missing my point; for those who haven't seen breaking bad, how is this show going to handle that whole Gene thing if it is supposed to stand on its own?

You are over-thinking things.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I'm not terribly concerned with how it turns out for people who haven't watched Breaking Bad :cmon:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

some guy on the bus posted:

We know Mike doesn't look younger than he did 10 years ago on Breaking Bad. We just have to suspend disbelief for it. We could do that for Aaron

Mike looks about the same age though. Jesse would look quite obviously much older

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

mallratcal posted:

Better Call Saul is actually the story of how Ernesto becomes Huell.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Better Fuel Huell

Project HUELL: Humongous Unequaled Ernesto Living Large

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 21, 2017

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Even in introducing a character like Gus, they're freaking out and building up to it like one of the most important plot points in the history of the show. Not anything he's doing, just the fact that he's Gus from Breaking Bad. The payoff of a long stakeout scene (which was actually really good anyway) was a dramatic pan out to a "Los Pollos Hermanos" sign, which means nothing unless you're really excited that the crime lord Mike's facing happens to be a specific character from breaking bad.

So, do you really think they could introduce more characters from BB without it being a disproportionately big deal?

I'm still loving the show, and I enjoy the stylish slowness of it all, but this whole Gus reveal rigamarole has caused me to rescind all previous "you don't even need to have seen Breaking Bad" claims. The show now only works if you accept "Gus Fring shows up" as an inherently big deal.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

mallratcal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8domW4NwpBQ

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Ditocoaf posted:

Even in introducing a character like Gus, they're freaking out and building up to it like one of the most important plot points in the history of the show. Not anything he's doing, just the fact that he's Gus from Breaking Bad. The payoff of a long stakeout scene (which was actually really good anyway) was a dramatic pan out to a "Los Pollos Hermanos" sign, which means nothing unless you're really excited that the crime lord Mike's facing happens to be a specific character from breaking bad.

So, do you really think they could introduce more characters from BB without it being a disproportionately big deal?

I'm still loving the show, and I enjoy the stylish slowness of it all, but this whole Gus reveal rigamarole has caused me to rescind all previous "you don't even need to have seen Breaking Bad" claims. The show now only works if you accept "Gus Fring shows up" as an inherently big deal.

They should have never marketed Gus' return. Imagine watching this latest episode with ZERO knowledge that they were bringing him back for this. They even recorded fake Los Pollos commercials with him FFS.

In the future, I hope they don't do this poo poo with Hank, Walter, Jesse, etc. Please keep surprises as surprises.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Alienwarehouse posted:

They should have never marketed Gus' return. Imagine watching this latest episode with ZERO knowledge that they were bringing him back for this. They even recorded fake Los Pollos commercials with him FFS.

In the future, I hope they don't do this poo poo with Hank, Walter, Jesse, etc. Please keep surprises as surprises.

Yes. One of the best surprises was Tuco showing up in Season 1.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Alienwarehouse posted:

The ratings have dropped massively too, so the Breaking Bad fans they thought they were going to reach with that marketing clearly didn't care.

I'm sure it'll still do fine on Netflix, but I kind of wish it was just airing there in the first place since I think the show's deliberate pace would feel less like punishment if you didn't have to wait a week for the next episode. I'd just wait and do that, but there's no way I'd manage to avoid spoilers for a whole year.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 21, 2017

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I hope they test the waters of what is acceptable and give us a "European late night" scene featuring Bob and Tina. For those that care, we know it is "canonical" because of BB.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Catching up on this season. I don't think I've ever felt such extreme hatred for a fictional character as I do for Chuck. I wanted Jimmy to just say gently caress it and beat the poo poo out of him at the end.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
One of the many reasons I am sad Trump won is that the "Better cuck Chuck" plot line had to be dropped. :blobfish:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

GobiasIndustries posted:

You are over-thinking things.
Uh... they're not, really? We have an established post-Breaking Bad element sticking into this show. This show which probably shouldn't retread everything that happened in Breaking Bad. But we still need an explanation as to how Saul became Gene, on this show, meant to stand on its own. We can't just "yadda yadda now he's managing a Cinnebon." We need an explanation that bridges us to the black-and-white future of some kind.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

LividLiquid posted:

Uh... they're not, really? We have an established post-Breaking Bad element sticking into this show. This show which probably shouldn't retread everything that happened in Breaking Bad. But we still need an explanation as to how Saul became Gene, on this show, meant to stand on its own. We can't just "yadda yadda now he's managing a Cinnebon." We need an explanation that bridges us to the black-and-white future of some kind.

If/when they need to get into it, I don't know that they'd need to do much more than "Oh no, my criminal activities have caught up with me and I need to get away and start a new life. Fortunately, I know a guy."

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Maybe we meet the vacuum guy because Kim uses him.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sinteres posted:

The ratings have dropped massively too, so the Breaking Bad fans they thought they were going to reach with that marketing clearly didn't care.

I'm sure it'll still do fine on Netflix, but I kind of wish it was just airing there in the first place since I think the show's deliberate pace would feel less like punishment if you didn't have to wait a week for the next episode. I'd just wait and do that, but there's no way I'd manage to avoid spoilers for a whole year.

If the ratings keep slipping, I hope AMC at least gives Gilligan and co. enough of a warning to plan out a real ending. Imagine a BB-level cliffhanger with no resolution. :ohdear:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I wouldn't mind seeing a few of the events of Breaking Bad from Saul's perspective and getting a little more context for how the guy we've come to know as Jimmy felt about all of it. And it's not like it would have to be a whole season of Walt showing up constantly. It's not like they were bros hanging out together all the time. They only met up when they needed to. I'm sure Saul had lots of other poo poo going on too.

I don't think Cranston showing up in some capacity would be jumping the shark as long as his presence legitimately served Jimmy/Saul's story. At the same time, I wouldn't bet big on it happening.

Wafflecopper posted:

Mike looks about the same age though. Jesse would look quite obviously much older

Mike definitely looks older, dude. Again, though, willing suspension of disbelief.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 21, 2017

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
someone on the podcast was saying Dean Norris was hard to work with. has anyone else heard this before? I haven't listened to all the podcasts but I guess they wouldn't say anything bad about him on The Breaking Bad podcast while that show was still going on

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Just include Walt as an easter egg. Saul's getting his car washed, he's talking on the phone, there's an out of focus white dude in an off putting pastel shirt running about in the background.

Badger, Skinny Pete and Hank would serve the story way better than Walter, though personally I want to get Bill Burr back on set.

Edit: Have Walter appear at the Cinnebon, let the audience freak out for a second, then cut to Gene waking up from his nightmare.

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 21, 2017

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Ein cooler Typ posted:

someone on the podcast was saying Dean Norris was hard to work with. has anyone else heard this before? I haven't listened to all the podcasts but I guess they wouldn't say anything bad about him on The Breaking Bad podcast while that show was still going on

It's pretty obvious they were affectionately joking. I don't think they've ever sincerely poo poo-talked a colleague in their history of podcasting. Even if someone on set was a pain in the rear end at one point, it's impossible to picture Vince bringing it up publicly.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Of course Walt is going to show up and of course everyone is going to love it when it happens. And not just in a car wash cameo. Walt had too big a impact on Saul's life not to be in it.

Perhaps if they hadn't shown the flash forwards to the future with Gene, then they could just end the show right before BB starts. But since they show Gene, it would be strange if they didn't show anything of what made him into Gene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Leaving Gene's life grey and empty would be bold and awesome.

• Locked thread