Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

X1 is drat near perfect but I don't think I'll play any game X2+ ever again.

The only negative thing I can say about X1 is that I don't like starting without the dash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CJacobs posted:

Gamer Confession: The mega man x games all the way to the Zero games have the camera zoomed way way too far in so they aren't fun to play imo

Well Zero had to deal with the GBA screen ratio and the PSX games have enormous sprites but I don't feel that that's true in any of the SNES X games. X's sprite is barely any bigger than Mega Man's from the NES games.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CJacobs posted:

Gamer Confession: The mega man x games all the way to the Zero games have the camera zoomed way way too far in so they aren't fun to play imo

the zero series was the worst because they HAD to have a gigantic, detailed player sprite eating up two thirds of the available screen space, meaning you had approximately one body length to each side worth of vision

the snes games were more or less ok from what i remember

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

megaman x1 correct boss order: chill penguin -> storm eagle -> flame mammoth -> spark mandrill -> armored armadillo -> launch octopus -> boomer kuwanger -> chameleon twist. don't @ me

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lurdiak posted:

Well Zero had to deal with the GBA screen ratio and the PSX games have enormous sprites but I don't feel that that's true in any of the SNES X games. X's sprite is barely any bigger than Mega Man's from the NES games.

Hmm. Maybe part of the reason I feel that way is because the MMX games let Megaman walk all the way to the center of the screen before it scrolls with you. I feel like that was a bad idea given that a lot of the mobile enemies come from the right side directly at you at full speed.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The boss arenas in X2 and beyond could scroll which is just the cardinal sin of Mega Man design

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

In Training posted:

The boss arenas in X2 and beyond could scroll which is just the cardinal sin of Mega Man design

Flame Mammoth, Storm Eagle...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Flame Mammoth, Storm Eagle...

I guess I should have clarified but the open arena stuff is fine, when there's lots of room and that's basically the core gimmick (like I forget the name but there's an ostrich fight in X2 or 3 that is this and pretty cool) but like every boxed room with a boss in it can scroll like 1/8th of an inch on the screen for absolutely no reason and all it does is make your view needlessly shaky because it keeps snapping the focal point left and right as you dodge boss attacks

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cowcaster posted:

megaman x1 correct boss order: chill penguin -> storm eagle -> flame mammoth -> spark mandrill -> armored armadillo -> launch octopus -> boomer kuwanger -> chameleon twist. don't @ me

His name's Sting Chameleon u fukr

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Mega Man just looks like a less good Mighty No. 9 to me

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

In Training posted:

X1 is drat near perfect but I don't think I'll play any game X2+ ever again.

you should get the dash in the tutorial level

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Gimmie a Dedede clothing line.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Looper posted:

you should get the dash in the tutorial level

I tried playing Maverick Hunter X (the PSP remake of X1) not long ago. Not only did they move the dash upgrade out of Chill Penguin's stage, they hid it. gently caress Maverick Hunter X.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Gimmie a Dedede clothing line.

Sears had a pretty cool Dedede line but it got discontinued for some reason

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

tap my mountain posted:

Sears had a pretty cool Dedede line but it got discontinued for some reason

Its just called star wars now

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWa5xytFqqU

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I tried playing Maverick Hunter X (the PSP remake of X1) not long ago. Not only did they move the dash upgrade out of Chill Penguin's stage, they hid it. gently caress Maverick Hunter X.

This is the worst possible decision they ever could've made, and that includes making one lovely track for every stage when playing as Vile

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
They made up for it by making Powered Up the best version of Mega Man 1 you could ever play.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/SophiaAetheria/status/855142998203551744

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Archive.org now has Macintosh games that you can play in-browser. I'm intrigued because Mac is definitely a blind spot for me and that black and white aesthetic is super rad, the only one I'm even vaguely familiar with is The Manhole (the game Cyan made before Myst) and the MacVenture games like Deja Vu and Shadowgate and they sadly don't seem to have those yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lEelz0iUJo

Chronic Trigger :grin:

Jay Rust posted:

I played a few hours of Undertale last night, due to never having gotten the genocide ending. gently caress I'd forgotten how good it is

The first time through I was a little annoyed by the combat because I was bad at it, but now I'm better and it's just such a great system!

So good!

e: Not happy about killing my dog friends though :( :shittydog::shittypop:

It's funny and also a little sad that so many Undertale fans became so attached to the characters that they couldn't even consider doing a genocide run, because even with the gameplay being intentionally tedious it has some of the best storytelling and music in the game and the new bosses it adds are amazing even if they're so balls-hard I eventually just gave up and used Cheat Engine to lock my HP at max so I could power through them.

And no, surprisingly the game didn't seem to notice or acknowledge that I was cheating like that. Though if you cheat yourself infinite money and buy both of the 9999G items at the spider bake sale then Muffet will call you out for cheating but still let you skip her boss battle.

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 21, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

This poor woman.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

This also reads like the same sort of mentality that we can't cut defense spending because of all the people it'd unemploy in Virginia.

Still not as bad as the time someone tried to argue that all Kickstarter ideas deserve funding because all ideas are unique and special.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I said come in! posted:

Still not as bad as the time someone tried to argue that all Kickstarter ideas deserve funding because all ideas are unique and special.

All Kickstarter ideas deserve funding because Kickstarter is an amazing font of comedy and anybody with enough disposable income to dabble in crowdfunding deserves to be swindled and keep the laughs coming.

I mean, thanks to Silicon Valley there now exists a $400 juicer with proprietary cartridges and DRM that actually works worse than just using your hands. That's a sensible chuckle that's definitely worth millions of dollars of other peoples' money.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

All Kickstarter ideas deserve funding because Kickstarter is an amazing font of comedy and anybody with enough disposable income to dabble in crowdfunding deserves to be swindled and keep the laughs coming.

I mean, thanks to Silicon Valley there now exists a $400 juicer with proprietary cartridges and DRM that actually works worse than just using your hands. That's a sensible chuckle that's definitely worth millions of dollars of other peoples' money.

The best part was that the argument was over Yooka-Laylee, which surprise! turned out to be mediocre and boring. I was reading about the juicer today, didn't know about the DRM but I know the company changed it so that you have to own the juicer in order to buy the juice packs, in response to it being revealed you don't need the juicer at all lol.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That Bloomberg article might as well be siliconvalley.txt. Everyone there is working hard overtime hours to make the next new clothes for the emperor.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Holy fuckin poo poo is that Beyond Dark Castle?!?!??

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

Holy fuckin poo poo is that Beyond Dark Castle?!?!??

Nope, just regular Dark Castle.

https://archive.org/details/mac_DarkCastle_1_2

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well I was close. I only played Beyond as a kid.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

mutata posted:

That Bloomberg article might as well be siliconvalley.txt. Everyone there is working hard overtime hours to make the next new clothes for the emperor.

Stop doxxing meee

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mutata posted:

https://twitter.com/verge/status/855199795526479872

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

didnt yooka laylee hire that racist fat gaming youtuber to do a voice

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Are these people who work at the corporate HQ because I thought Uber was all about exploiting the drivers as much as possible without actually calling them employees so they wouldn't be on the hook for stupid things like health insurance, sick days, minimum wage, and paying for gas/maintenance on cars?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Ostentatious posted:

They threw him out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I see their one remaining woman who hasn't been sexually harassed out of the company yet.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Ostentatious posted:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

:laffo:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Guy Mann posted:

You mean there's a better way?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Here's a blazing hot take for you guys,

Kingdoms of Amalur is not that bad. It's not great, and it tries too hard to be Skyrim and World of Warcraft at times, but for a hack n slash action RPG, you could do worse.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

Here's a blazing hot take for you guys,

Kingdoms of Amalur is not that bad. It's not great, and it tries too hard to be Skyrim and World of Warcraft at times, but for a hack n slash action RPG, you could do worse.

I love Kingdoms of Amalur, it is one of my favorite RPGS, and legit cried when the development studio shutdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

here's a hot take

curt schilling is an rear end in a top hat tho

• Locked thread