Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Republican Healthcare Dream:

Pay insurance companies all of your money and in return they will provide you with services that allow you to pay them all your money faster and more efficiently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/ChrisJZullo/status/854298327365689344

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

oh my god please let there be a shred of evidence for your coverage being cancelled if you're raped

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

oh my god please let there be a shred of evidence for your coverage being cancelled if you're raped

Dr. Huxtable Clause

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006
Where's the link to back this stuff up that they're referencing? Would be nice to see it on (virtual) paper other than a random Twitter post.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Wait they're trying to roll back on pre-existing conditions now, too? Is this some kind of experiment to see if a policy can actually have a negative approval rating?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Noctone posted:

Wait they're trying to roll back on pre-existing conditions now, too? Is this some kind of experiment to see if a policy can actually have a negative approval rating?

No no no! They can't deny you coverage for pre-existing conditions! They just make it so that companies can charge you whatever premiums they want based on those conditions. We're not denying coverage! You're denying yourself coverage because you wont pay the $15,000 a month premiums!

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Noctone posted:

The plan is to let states decide whether to allow pre-existing conditions or not; basically, to get the credit for having "Repealed Obamacare" while passing on all the blame to state governors (and also possibly not actually repealing Obamacare).

My state representative was just on local cable access and he said he would cheerfully vote for it, but only if he had an assurance from our governor that it would never actually be implemented. You could hear the facepalming from orbit.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Noctone posted:

Those who have died of treatable illnesses will raise themselves into an undead army with the sole purpose of voting against the AHCA in opinion polls.

One weird necromancer trick: clerics HATE this!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Master Twig posted:

No no no! They can't deny you coverage for pre-existing conditions! They just make it so that companies can charge you whatever premiums they want based on those conditions. We're not denying coverage! You're denying yourself coverage because you wont pay the $15,000 a month premiums!

If the poor can afford $15,000 a month for iPhones, they could choose to get their cancer treatment instead.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

My state representative was just on local cable access and he said he would cheerfully vote for it, but only if he had an assurance from our governor that it would never actually be implemented. You could hear the facepalming from orbit.

American politics in TYOOL 2017. Everyone stand and clap.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Noctone posted:

Pre-existing conditions lasted for so long because people didn't give a poo poo unless it impacted them personally, and it was super easy to muddy the waters when people tried to talk about it. Your sister had to declare bankruptcy because of medical bills? Your cousin can't afford insurance? Don't worry! We have ~Good Insurance~ at our company, you don't have to worry about that!**

**Besides the same yearly and lifetime maximums that forced your sister to declare bankruptcy while being "insured".

**Besides segregating employees with chronic health issues like your cousin into subsidiary companies to improve the main company's risk pool while skyrocketing costs for those in the subsidiary.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How is "Acne" a pre-existing condition?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

VitalSigns posted:

Those who have died of treatable illnesses will raise themselves into an undead army with the sole purpose of voting against the AHCA in opinion polls.

One weird necromancer trick: clerics HATE this!

We just need to find Cheney's phylactery first before he will teach us his ways in the dark arts. Then the undead can flood online opinion polls and town hall meetings to express their displeasure.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

In that only those with unpure souls get them. If they had prayed and been faithful to the one true God enough, then their skin would remain unblemished.

Zil fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 21, 2017

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Accutane was (is?) a popular acne medication with a world of long-lasting side-effects which, in a world without essential health benefits, would be enough for insurance companies to treat you as having a pre-existing condition.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Not content to just let the bear trap they've been rigging around their dicks for 7 years snap shut, these retards are rerigging the trap so it goes off again later

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't see what choice they have, honestly.

For 7 years they criticized Obamacare from the left and right with whatever would stick, actively sabotaged in the courts and in congress and in red state governments, and promised everyone they had a secret plan ready to go with great health care and low premiums for everyone on Day One of a Republican government.

If they just fold up and don't do anything, the people who voted for them are going to be pissed.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

I don't see what choice they have, honestly.

This is their dream scenario:

To declare that they've "repealed Obamacare" while making sure it stays in place, and hoping their base swallows such a whopping lie whole.

It's all about saving face now.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The plan is to let states decide whether to allow pre-existing conditions or not; basically, to get the credit for having "Repealed Obamacare" while passing on all the blame to state governors (and also possibly not actually repealing Obamacare).

:stare:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but jfc

:suicide:

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

If they just fold up and don't do anything, the people who voted for them are going to be pissed.

I'd like to think this but I have my doubts. The only people who really care about repeal are the ideologues and republican donor class.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bueno Papi posted:

I'd like to think this but I have my doubts. The only people who really care about repeal are the ideologues and republican donor class.

I'm not talking about those people. I mean the ones who believed 7 years of Republican lies that they had a better healthcare plan to lower premiums and cover everyone.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
My fear is Trump and Price sabotage the ACA so badly that it will be essentially repealed anyway. Then they'll offer a similar lovely plan to the AHCA that is an improvement over the heavily sabotaged ACA and try to use that as a bludgeon against the Democratic party.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

I'm not talking about those people. I mean the ones who believed 7 years of Republican lies that they had a better healthcare plan to lower premiums and cover everyone.

Fox News will take care of that.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

VitalSigns posted:

Maybe for a week or two, but right wing media will just blame Democrats and refocus their attention on the next outrage.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

This is their dream scenario:

To declare that they've "repealed Obamacare" while making sure it stays in place, and hoping their base swallows such a whopping lie whole.

It's all about saving face now.

I think Dave Weigel tweeted that Trump could declare that they already repealed it the first time and at least 50% of republicans would believe him. If they do what you're describing I bet they could get higher than 50%.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah, the problem is that continuing to try to pass their plan keeps reiterating to those people that their plan was to take away their insurance. They'd be better off silently doing nothing.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

clockworkjoe posted:

My fear is Trump and Price sabotage the ACA so badly that it will be essentially repealed anyway. Then they'll offer a similar lovely plan to the AHCA that is an improvement over the heavily sabotaged ACA and try to use that as a bludgeon against the Democratic party.

If they sabotage it, they will own it. The hardcore GOP supporters may go along with blaming Democrats for it, but the Republican voters who depend on the ACA aren't going to blame a party that controls no branch of government for the sudden change in their circumstances.

The only way Trump wins on repealing ACA is by allowing it to continue unimpeded and blow up on its own, and then bring his own plan to the table. Withholding cost-sharing payments, or anything else that sabotages the law is going to turn those angry town halls into an angry anti-GOP wave.

Honestly, the best option for the Trump, the Republicans, and the country is to say that Obamacare is just a disaster that it can't be repealed without destroying healthcare, so we are going to do what we have always done and clean up the Democrat's mess and fix it. It may go against every fiber of Paul Ryan's being, but eventually they are going to realize that they are going to get hit for repealing it, they are going to get hit for replacing it with anything they find acceptable, and they are going to get hit for not doing anything. It would have made a world of difference for the GOP's attempts at sabotage if you had the Democrats in control of one branch of government so they could share the blame. Sure there will always be that 30% of the country that blames Obama for not standing up to the Mongols and allowing them to attack Europe, but the majority of the country aren't going to blame a party of bystanders.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nothus posted:

Maybe for a week or two, but right wing media will just blame Democrats and refocus their attention on the next outrage.

Yeah that works on an infuriatingly large number of people, but Republicans need more than the absurd partisans. 2008 is what happens when only the fools and fygm assholes who were still clinging to Bush show up to vote.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

TyrantWD posted:

If they sabotage it, they will own it. The hardcore GOP supporters may go along with blaming Democrats for it, but the Republican voters who depend on the ACA aren't going to blame a party that controls no branch of government for the sudden change in their circumstances.

The only way Trump wins on repealing ACA is by allowing it to continue unimpeded and blow up on its own, and then bring his own plan to the table. Withholding cost-sharing payments, or anything else that sabotages the law is going to turn those angry town halls into an angry anti-GOP wave.

Honestly, the best option for the Trump, the Republicans, and the country is to say that Obamacare is just a disaster that it can't be repealed without destroying healthcare, so we are going to do what we have always done and clean up the Democrat's mess and fix it. It may go against every fiber of Paul Ryan's being, but eventually they are going to realize that they are going to get hit for repealing it, they are going to get hit for replacing it with anything they find acceptable, and they are going to get hit for not doing anything. It would have made a world of difference for the GOP's attempts at sabotage if you had the Democrats in control of one branch of government so they could share the blame. Sure there will always be that 30% of the country that blames Obama for not standing up to the Mongols and allowing them to attack Europe, but the majority of the country aren't going to blame a party of bystanders.

The GOP also are at the stage where they made their mess and now they need to lie in it: they gave the Tea Partiers and the Heritage folks lip service and power so they could get funding and voting in. Well, now those same groups are trying to cash in that favor. Anything they call for goes directly against what the average Republican wants, and the GOP knows it. The only way the GOP survives is by doing nothing, but I actually think it is just life support, not a winning strategy. I agree with VitalSigns, the healthcare repeal was their big moneymaker and ultimately the foundation of the GOP the past 7 years. If they can't win it, they will look weak to Republicans and they won't trust the party to get things done. Either voters will move to the Dems or we will see an even more terrifying right wing party rise up next election cycle.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/856172721016897536

The mean-spirited condescension of this proposal is absolutely infuriating.

On Medicaid? I'll just hold your new eyeglass prescription and your badly needed root canal over your head until you stop the poor life choices you must be making and get the high school education I smugly assume you don't have.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I quite like the idea that you need to plan out your life route in order to min max your ability to live, essentially making life like an RPG speedrun. "The game will enroll you in high school but you need to immediately drop out or you'll lose the health care bonus in Act 3. Around this time you'll want to start smoking so that you can apply the cessation class multiplier bonus and the green numbers over your head will be large enough to heal the red from smoking."

The adversarial tone to these health care proposals is never not amazing to me. It's kind of novel to make people afraid to use their health care for fear of points penalty.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Hastings posted:

I do not know how the GOP could even market this. The American people would crush under this, costs this high would crush our economy. Healthcare is the largest economic and hiring sector we have, and this would make it so no one would even enter a hospital..not just showing up to an ER instead, I mean actually never go to a hospital again and just stay at home and risk dying. Hours would get cut, people laid off, etc.

Yeah, the reaction from people in the healthcare industry that I've talked to has been...unpleasant to say the least. A lot of hospitals went through a period of rapid expansion (accruing a large amount of debt in the process) and now we're quickly heading to a situation where the sickest and most expensive patients are going to be kicked off of their health insurance combined with less allowances for charity care write-offs. I can definitely see a lot of hospitals going bankrupt if this version of the AHCA passes, especially those who treat a lot of indigent patients.

I don't know what health insurance companies are thinking about all of this but I doubt they enjoy the increased volatility from the continual loving around with the AHCA; they also probably would like their federal reimbursement from the high risk corridor provision of the PPACA. Maybe.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Those risk corridor payments are gone/modified due to republicans.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

TyrantWD posted:

They seem to be banking on the fact that the average voter won't understand or will dismiss the fact that the Trump administration actively sabotaging the ACA is why your premiums are going through the roof or why your insurance company left the exchange and now you have to go to a different doctor.

Kaiser Family Foundation estimated a roughly 20% increase in silver plan premiums if the White House withholds CSR payments, and some insurers will exit the individual market entirely due to the White House's unending healthcare fuckery. The other interesting thing about this is that the federal government actually loses money by withholding the payments, because as premiums rise so do the subsidies the federal government pays for low-income families. So you can't even sell it as the GOP being fiscally responsible.

It just looks bad for the GOP all the way around, but it's also a complicated issue that's difficult to turn into effective soundbites for the Democratic Party.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So is the repeal still trying to get passed as reconciliation bill? Does the filibuster in the senate not matter anymore since the rules got changed or did the nuclear option rule change only apply to supreme court nominees?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/seanmcelwee/status/857093877710409728

Alternative and likely correct explanation: they're cartoonishly evil

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The Phlegmatist posted:

They seem to be banking on the fact that the average voter won't understand or will dismiss the fact that the Trump administration actively sabotaging the ACA is why your premiums are going through the roof or why your insurance company left the exchange and now you have to go to a different doctor.

Seems like a reasonable assumption to make, given the GOPs collective history of voting against the common good.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

The House Freedom Caucus has endorsed AHCA:

Politico posted:

Freedom Caucus endorses Obamacare repeal compromise

The House Freedom Caucus has officially endorsed a revised Republican plan to repeal and replace Obamacare, delivering a fresh burst of momentum to the GOP's efforts to revive its stalled health care effort.

"While the revised version still does not fully repeal Obamacare, we are prepared to support it to keep our promise to the American people to lower healthcare costs," the Freedom Caucus said in a statement. "We look forward to working with our Senate colleagues to improve the bill."

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/26/new-obamacare-repeal-plan-republicans-trump-237625

Any idea on if this will drive away enough moderates in the House? I assume this would still be DOA in the Senate?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/856172721016897536

The mean-spirited condescension of this proposal is absolutely infuriating.

On Medicaid? I'll just hold your new eyeglass prescription and your badly needed root canal over your head until you stop the poor life choices you must be making and get the high school education I smugly assume you don't have.

I mean it's dumb but Medicaid doesn't cover dental or vision if your over 18 in Kentucky so it would be better than the nothing already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

B B posted:

The House Freedom Caucus has endorsed AHCA:

Any idea on if this will drive away enough moderates in the House? I assume this would still be DOA in the Senate?

i'm sure it will be fi

https://twitter.com/scottwongDC/status/857285713326460930