Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paracaidas posted:

Noticed far more of these on children's and teen shows. Can't imagine why.

Just like TV Tropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The saddest thing was looking at an IMDB page for an actor and seeing absolutely zero forum activity about him/her. I think I was looking at Kirstie Allie once and it was empty.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There was always a lot of "looks so much like X!" posts too.

You could look up any lesser known actor you might have seen in a guest role or something, and there's the thread about how hot they are and which more famous actors they looked like.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Watched the Fargo season premiere before The Leftovers.

No regrets. It's off to a fantastic start.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Remember that writers guild strike partly started because of the Battlestar Galactica webisodes? And how shows like Friday Night Lights and Breaking Bad had to have short seasons? That was 10 years ago.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Mu Zeta posted:

Remember that writers guild strike partly started because of the Battlestar Galactica webisodes? And how shows like Friday Night Lights and Breaking Bad had to have short seasons? That was 10 years ago.

It also spawned some fantastic late night creativity because the networks made them go on anyways. That's how you got that weird Conan/Jon Stewart/Colbert rivalry.

Also, apparently they hired scab writers for a bunch of daytime soap operas and they burned through several years of ideas and plot lines in a few months.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

It took me a second to remember that not only were the last two seasons of Breaking Bad shortened but the first one as well. It's kind of tragic that the show started off short due to writers fighting for their fair share and then ended short as a way of weaseling out of said union agreements.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I never understand this poo poo.

Why don't they just pay the loving writers a decent amount?

How hard could it be?

I feel like WGA goes on strike like, once per decade.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Snak posted:

I never understand this poo poo.

How hard could it be?

I feel like WGA goes on strike like, once per decade.

Well, you see... I want more money, and I don't want to give other people that money, because that means I won't have it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Snak posted:

Supply and demand.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Well, you see... I want more money, and I don't want to give other people that money, because that means I won't have it.

Yeah I don't see how this is in any way hard to understand. Publicly held corporations (most of who we're talking about are I believe) have a duty to their shareholders to maximize profits. That means not paying Joe Writerguy a lot of money.

Welcome to capitalism, it probably sucks for you!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, yeah, I get that greed is a thing. I just mean that the SAG has gone on strike like, twice ever in history, and the WGA has gone in strike like, 5 times in 3 decades.

I know it probably just boils down to producers feeling like the show can go on without writers but obviously it can't without actors, but come on, figure out an equilibrium.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If there is a strike, we'll get another Dr Horrible, right?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I imagine it has to do with SAG having more high profile members who are willing to go to bat for the union's needs so it never gets to the fighting stage. If Will Smith is threatening to drop out of your movie if you don't give the extras health insurance, you give the extras health insurance because it will cost you a lot less money.

There's probably not that many writers with that kind of leverage or willingness to use it for the greater good.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GreenNight posted:

If there is a strike, we'll get another Dr Horrible, right?

Please no

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well maybe with Peak TV going the way it is, the negative effects of WGA strikes will start to be bigger and there will be a bigger interest in preventing them from happening by not pushing poo poo the to the absolute limit.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snak posted:

I mean, yeah, I get that greed is a thing. I just mean that the SAG has gone on strike like, twice ever in history, and the WGA has gone in strike like, 5 times in 3 decades.

I know it probably just boils down to producers feeling like the show can go on without writers but obviously it can't without actors, but come on, figure out an equilibrium.

Writers are, by and large, fungible. Actors much less so, as we haven't developed clone slaves yet. So actors have more leverage to get paid well, because yeah if you're some side character on a lovely sitcom or something you don't have much leverage, but you have like Tom Cruise and poo poo in your union. Not saying there aren't standout star writers, but it's not anywhere near the same.

e: STAC Goat was a little faster than me, but yeah what he said.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Stop having bad opinions IC.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

Stop having bad opinions IC.

Dr Horrible is just that, horrible

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I understand most Joss Whedon hate, but Dr. Horrible is pretty great all around. Like, if it's not your thing, fine, but it's not horrible.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like a fair bit of Whedon stuff.

He just has really obvious crutches and habits that show up in everything he does and that eventually hurts your work. Plus a really rabid fanbase.

Dr. Horrible's something different, and compact so even though it completely repeats all of his crutches and habits it does it in a package that's quick and different enough not to really bug you.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Snak posted:

Wasn't a big part of it that studios were keeping money from things like streaming and digital downloads and not paying the residuals on those? And they completely refused to negotiate on paying out the writers for these new modes of media consumption and stuck with "No, you get paid from TV airings, DVD sales, and nothing else"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

Wasn't a big part of it that studios were keeping money from things like streaming and digital downloads and not paying the residuals on those? And they completely refused to negotiate on paying out the writers for these new modes of media consumption and stuck with "No, you get paid from TV airings, DVD sales, and nothing else"

As I recall, yeah.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Peak TV is part of the reason for the WGA strike threat. Writers are used to being employed for 20+ episodes at a time every year. Now shows like Fargo do 10 episodes every 2-3 years. Writers still get paid per episode so it's a big pay cut compared to actors who are still getting paid well.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Harlan Ellison's hilarious rant on this is one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuLr9HG2ASs

"I'd sell my soul but only at the highest rates."

"...send me the goddamn DVD right now or I'm gonna come down to your office and I'm gonna burn it to the ground, how about that?"

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 20, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Harlan Ellison is a lovely awful man.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Felicia Day is perfectly fine in the new MST3k and she was pretty good in Supernatural as the one woman to meet the Winchesters on multiple occasions and not die because since her character was a lesbian they didn't have to kill her off to appease the creepy fangirls.

Lurdiak posted:

Harlan Ellison is a lovely awful man.

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is one of my favorite things ever but I will never get sick of stories of Ellison being dunked on for being such a terrible person. Even the ones that never actually happened:

quote:

This reminds me of my absolutely favorite Harlan Ellison story. People in the field are afraid to tell it out loud, but I will do so. Harlan and I are such good friends that I know he won’t kill me, especially when I tell you that I’m sure the story is quite fictional. Of course, he may maim me a bit.

The thing is that Harlan is short and in the days before he married his present fifth wife (who is his own size and with whom he is happy at last) he could not resist going about with giant showgirl types, all of them topping him by two or three feet.

The story goes, then, that Harlan approached one of these giraffelike women, fixed her with his glittering eye, and said, “What would you say to a little gently caress?”

And she looked down at him and said, “I would say, ‘Hello, little gently caress.'”

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I wonder how many shows are going to be affected by the strike. I'd imagine most of the shows currently running are near enough to their finales that they've been written if not already shot. This could really effect next season though if it goes on long. Especially any new shows which often need even more prep time to be ready.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Felicia Day on Supernatural was like a Borderlands character.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I loved MST3K as a kid so I'll probably check out the Netflix version eventually for the hell of it.

It makes me wonder, is there a place to watch the old ones? I see one season on Netflix and a bunch of YouTube but a bunch more deleted. I assume since it was on like a dozen channels, was cancelled and revived a bunch, and features other movies that it's an impossible rights maze?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Guy Mann posted:

Felicia Day is perfectly fine in the new MST3k and she was pretty good in Supernatural as the one woman to meet the Winchesters on multiple occasions and not die because since her character was a lesbian they didn't have to kill her off to appease the creepy fangirls.

Haven't watched Supernatural in a while, have ya?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

X-Files season 11 is a go

http://www.darkhorizons.com/the-x-files-s11-is-a-go-with-10-eps/

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Also Dark Matter of all shows is getting an aftershow called After Dark hosted by, that's right, not Chris Hardwick! Zoie Palmer (android) will be hosting.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GreenNight posted:

Also Dark Matter of all shows is getting an aftershow called After Dark hosted by, that's right, not Chris Hardwick! Zoie Palmer (android) will be hosting.

I like the show, but that is just bizarre.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

While watching The Lost Boys on AMC yesterday I saw that Chris Hardwick now has a show merely called "Talking." So now he has an aftershow for a show that doesn't exist, which is a show that probably nobody asked for except Chris Hardwick.

But why tho.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Syfy International is making it, so who knows if it will even air in the US. I think it's way more popular in Europe.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

raditts posted:

While watching The Lost Boys on AMC yesterday I saw that Chris Hardwick now has a show merely called "Talking." So now he has an aftershow for a show that doesn't exist, which is a show that probably nobody asked for except Chris Hardwick.

But why tho.

I really like Chris Hardwick. I've listened to his podcast for years, read his articles in Wired. He's genuinely a cool guy.

But Jesus Christ the guy that hosts the Talking X shows is insufferable. Maybe the new show will be something more like the Nerdist podcast....Nah, doubt it

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Zoie Palmer is the best part of Dark Matter and this aftershow will likely be better than Dark Matter.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Medullah posted:

I really like Chris Hardwick. I've listened to his podcast for years, read his articles in Wired. He's genuinely a cool guy.

But Jesus Christ the guy that hosts the Talking X shows is insufferable. Maybe the new show will be something more like the Nerdist podcast....Nah, doubt it

@Midnight is also now about Chris Hardwick's wife stories, and sometimes jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Aphrodite posted:

@Midnight is also now about Chris Hardwick's wife stories, and sometimes jokes.

Ugh that's disappointing. I'll admit I stopped watching @Midnight when CC pulled their dick move and dropped out of Hulu+. Which is a shame because I love stand up comedy and that show used to be a must watch.

• Locked thread