Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vOv
Feb 8, 2014

huh, i remember watching some cop drama show that featured gunshot detection stuff and i figured it was just something they made up for the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

it was made to find snipers in Baghdad and they brought it back stateside with the tanks and everything

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

On top of gunshot locators, there's other fancy stuff, like tracking car motions through the RFID chips in EZcard in NYC. Tinfoil hatters worry about RFID chips tire manufacturers embed in there to track their inventory since they could also be used there.

There's also references to using license plate recognition (p.23-24) to do geo-fencing and correlation of traffic patterns in some areas with crimes such as drug trafficking, and similarly correlating with social media. There's some pretty fancy stuff out there.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

MononcQc posted:

On top of gunshot locators, there's other fancy stuff, like tracking car motions through the RFID chips in EZcard in NYC. Tinfoil hatters worry about RFID chips tire manufacturers embed in there to track their inventory since they could also be used there.

There's also references to using license plate recognition (p.23-24) to do geo-fencing and correlation of traffic patterns in some areas with crimes such as drug trafficking, and similarly correlating with social media. There's some pretty fancy stuff out there.

data mining can surface a lot of interesting stuff. unfortunately, it's all developed and utilized by people with their own implicit biases

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

duTrieux. posted:

people with their own implicit biases

you can just say "people"

unless you mean "cops" in which case you can just say "pigs"

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

MononcQc posted:

Tinfoil hatters worry about RFID chips tire manufacturers embed in there to track their inventory since they could also be used there.

time to get a bigger microwave i guess

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

heh

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

atomicthumbs posted:

time to get a bigger microwave i guess

why? so hillary can hear your conversations?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

flakeloaf posted:

wait seriously

https://www.minnpost.com/data/2016/01/six-years-shootings-where-and-when-gunfire-happens-minneapolis

they make all the data public, too http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/police/statistics/crime-statistics_codefor_shotsfired

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

wait seriously

yah, I was on a shoot with a lot of blanks and nypd rolled up because we kept triggering shotspotter. there's a poi ep about it

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it picked up our quarter-load blanks and was all acoustic too, because we were in an alley.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MononcQc posted:

out here in oregon they track cars on the highways via bluetooth signals http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/07/odot_rolls_out_first_of_3_inno.html

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

I can never remember which sdr nerd is into decoding tpms sensors but I think it's Jared Boone? anyway it's a simple enough protocol that you can leave a hackrf with a portapack plugged in and decode a bunch from passing cars and log them to an sd card with time of day

this has been diy surveillance state corner

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

a witch posted:

it was made to find snipers in Baghdad and they brought it back stateside with the tanks and everything

kosovo, not baghdad

the same dude who invented it also invented hawkeye, the system they use in tennis, cricket etc to determine where a ball's going.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Cocoa Crispies posted:

you can just say "people"

BillWh0re
Aug 6, 2001

This is just incredible. You think it can't get any better than the screenshot in that tweet, but then, by the end of the thread the guy has changed everything to using VirtualAlloc with undocumented protection flags and the main loop uses goto and relies on throwing a read exception when it reaches the end of the buffer because the loop counter was too inefficient to sound good.

https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=119543&p=1

quote:

the last change I made was something called use of MFC, I thought the setting I chose was an improvement, but after extended listening it became apparent something wasn't right - too strident which is always a sign something is stressed. So went back and tried the settings again and the best one is use mfc in a static library. so have rebuilt it and uploaded the new version which has a more balanced sound. Hopefully that is it as far as setting changes go.

quote:

of course, the best page protection for sound quality is no page protection, found an undocumented setting which seems to remove page protection, it has transformed the sound anyway and sounds better than every other setting, but doesn't allow data to be written so must be set after the data load.

The other thing I tried was profile guided optimisation which has lifted the performance to a level I just couldn't have believed was possible.

I am now hearing a lot more coughs and off stage noises in live recordings than I heard before eg MJQ the last concert - summertime track. Overall the performance is on another level.

quote:

Also making the loop a while x > 0 and decrementing the counter at the end using --x helps (1 cpu tick). Does a while loop sound better than a for loop ? there's something to ponder. Also changing the time to INFINITE in the WaitForSingleObject(hNeedDataEvent, INFINITE); statement means we don't require an additional counter, although it's bad practice.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ok now I think this is just a longform joke/troll

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

I'm the no page protection that prohibits writes

but this sounds like coding horror more than secfuck

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

listen to the fplus episode about audiophiles and decide for yourself

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MononcQc posted:

i was listening to a podcast about ridiculous military spending and waste, and probably the best one (outside of someone trying to pilfer a bunch of 55" TVs or setting a bunch of 55" TVs on fire with jet fuel) was a wearable pack that can do sniper triangulation.

tanks/apcs/armored whatevers have equipment that can do the math to find where gunshots are coming from etc; however, some brilliant dumbass at lockheed or something was like "what if we made it mobile!?" the military procured a bunch of these things and they're heavy and you have a giant backpack with a microphone and antenna on it and when you're under sniper fire, you stand still because it only does relative positioning.

~your tax dollars at work~

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
so the "GeForce Experience" application shipped with all nvidia drivers includes a copy of node.js and it can be used for all kinds of fun things

quote:

During a quick research in a different area, I came across a system which had NVIDIA drivers installed. The following executable gets installed by NVIDIA:

%ProgramFiles(x86)%\NVIDIA Corporation\NvNode\NVIDIA Web Helper.exe
This is a renamed version of node.js (but signed by NVIDIA Corporation) which can be verified via the meta data of the file:

That means we can find node.js on systems with NVIDIA drivers installed. Since this file is already on the system and it has a valid signature, it will be whitelisted by the application whitelisting solution.
[...]
Writing malware completely in node.js has the great side-affect, that NVIDIA already installs addons with useful functions such as:

WebcamEnable (NvSpCapsAPINode.node)
ManualRecordEnable (NvSpCapsAPINode.node)
GetDesktopCaptureSupport (NvSpCapsAPINode.node)
SetMicSettings (NvSpCapsAPINode.node)
RecordingPaths (NvSpCapsAPINode.node)
CaptureScreenshot (NvCameraAPINode.node)

However, to get the full power of the Windows API, we can write addons in C/C++ for node.js:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

McGlockenshire posted:

so the "GeForce Experience" application shipped with all nvidia drivers includes a copy of node.js and it can be used for all kinds of fun things
well, gently caress

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
but an attacker still have to have some way to execute poo poo on your machine, and if they can do that you're pretty much screwed anyway since they can probably just whip up some visual basic scripting malware in the absence of nvidia drivers

geforce experience is still poo poo tho

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

haveblue posted:

It wasn't obvious from the beginning to you?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

McGlockenshire posted:

luckily geforce experience is a completely optional piece of poo poo nobody should have installed anyway.

unfortunately, it installs by default, because spyware included with your driver is a thing people will just let you do and cheer for you when you're nvidia

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Truga posted:

luckily geforce experience is a completely optional piece of poo poo nobody should have installed anyway.

unfortunately, it installs by default, because spyware included with your driver is a thing people will just let you do and cheer for you when you're nvidia

the installation is elective, and it has very popular features for gameplay recording. not sayings its ideal before anyone becomes mad on internet

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

~challenge everything~

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://privacylog.blogspot.ca/2017/04/what-happens-when-you-send-zero-day-to.html
https://archive.fo/8ZpDJ

never disclose to banks; drop in FD instead

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

wheeeeee

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:rip: that dude

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

quote:

(or even as a COMMENT on a popular page and have a serious impact on the financial system.)

I don't understand that. does he mean any popular page that doesn't sanitize its comments at all? there aren't many of those in 2017, I think

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Subjunctive posted:

I don't understand that. does he mean any popular page that doesn't sanitize its comments at all? there aren't many of those in 2017, I think

this was back in 2008
in other words, back when :regd08: made sense as a smiley

EDIT:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

McGlockenshire posted:

that thing's updater did the equivalent of rm -rf on my C drive one time so I restored from backup and uninstalled it and never looked back

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

jesus lol

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

im the deniable of sercive accacks

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
https://twitter.com/trailofbits/status/855533934377132032

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
not sure what's going on there either since it looks like they changed their username and locked their account?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

:woof:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

anthonypants posted:

not sure what's going on there either since it looks like they changed their username and locked their account?

Tl;dr "hey @malwareunicorn how do I do this homework problem for a job interview I have with your company"

• Locked thread