Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Just buy shortly after a masters set drops. It's pretty predictable at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Smashing Link posted:

Exactly. It's great to expand the format but the prices always rebound.

What do you think happens to the prices if masters set don't come out? If you believe anything close to what they are now loving slap yourself.

Taking 5 seconds out of your day and looking at the price history of staples and total prices of decks now compared to before. IT should give you a clear picture.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 21, 2017

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

What do you think happens to the prices if masters set don't come out? If you believe anything close to what they are now loving slap yourself.

Taking 5 seconds out of your day and looking at the price history of staples and total prices of decks now compared to before should give you a clear picture.

Long-term prices will go down if the format stagnates and dies because of a lack of players. Short-term prices may decrease but if Wizards does their job ten years from now MM2027 will still command a premium because "prices are still too high".

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Smashing Link posted:

Long-term prices will go down if the format stagnates and dies because of a lack of players. Short-term prices may decrease but if Wizards does their job ten years from now MM2027 will still command a premium because "prices are still too high".

Does this describe the modern format in any way? Think about that for a little while.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Does this describe the modern format in any way? Think about that for a little while.

Back to my original point -- abolishing the reserve list means nothing if they don't print a certain volume of cards. Modern Masters sets have put a dent in prices of some staples but it is still an expensive format to get into and I don't see Wizards having any incentive to change that as long as they keep trying to make Standard work.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Smashing Link posted:

Back to my original point -- abolishing the reserve list means nothing if they don't print a certain volume of cards. Modern Masters sets have put a dent in prices of some staples but it is still an expensive format to get into and I don't see Wizards having any incentive to change that as long as they keep trying to make Standard work.

Well at least you moved the goalposts. Yes, I agree that its still an expensive format to get into but your original point of modern masters doing nothing for affordability was really dumb.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I apologize, I don't keep a close eye on prices and have most of the staples already so I may have underestimated the reduction in prices.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Star Man posted:

I have met a single person in my nine years of the game that would be angry if the reserved list was eliminated. This same person complained that Tarmogoyf is overprinted.

There is not many if any of those grognards left. They sold out of their collections years ago

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I'm very excited to open reprints of iconic cards from Magic's history such as fulminator mage and mishra's bauble this winter.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

uninverted posted:

I'm very excited to open reprints of iconic cards from Magic's history such as fulminator mage and mishra's bauble this winter.

Don't worry, they'll reprint Urza's Bauble instead

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Elyv posted:

Don't worry, they'll reprint Urza's Bauble instead
When it happens I'm going to remember this post and laugh extra hard.

It'll have new, completely on the nose art too. Falling out of Urza's pocket onto someone's face or something.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I like the reserved list, as it ensures some cards from the past will always retain their value, and also isn't really a blocker on re-creating old cards. If they wanted to they can easily reprint any reserved list card with very, very minor tweaks. They've done this a handful of times already.

Iconic Masters seem's like a weird way to approach it. For me, iconic is frozen shade. ...which is not something I want to open in a booster pack that would cost $10. Are hydra's even that 'iconic' when you go back to older sets? Outside of the red one from Apha that GREW HEADS.

As fun as the master's sets have been, I'm still waiting for another Time Spiral-esque set to show up. There's so much fun references and clever cards that came out of that block.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

EatinCake posted:

I like the reserved list, as it ensures some cards from the past will always retain their value,

Unlike all those valueless new cards like Tarmogoyf that get reprinted all the time, right?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I don't think I have met anyone that said "I like the reserved list" that wasn't really weird. They also seem to be synonymous with bitching about having so few legacy events or people to play with in general. You types seem to have bad reasoning skills.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

EatinCake posted:

I like the reserved list, as it ensures some cards from the past will always retain their value, and also isn't really a blocker on re-creating old cards.

The thing keeping old cards valuable is the fact that they are old and very, very few exist. Birds of Paradise is like $5 for an M12 printing but thousands for an Alpha/Beta copy.

Also WTF it's not a blocker in recreating old cards? That's the primary, explicitly-stated purpose of the reserved list - prevent reprints or functional reprints. Apparently a problem that has occurred multiple times in development is that they've created a card that is a 2/2 flying, first-strike that costs 1WW that they later realized they had to get rid of because it's a functional reprint of a reserved list card.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Tired: The Reserved List is good because it helps cards maintain their value.

Wired: The Reserved List is good because it pushes eternal players onto MTGO, which is superior to paper Magic.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Cross-posted with the buy/sell thread: If anyone here is in the San Francisco or San Jose area, keep your ears open for someone who got their collection stolen, as it's up for sale here: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/clt/6095940211.html

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ThePeavstenator posted:

The thing keeping old cards valuable is the fact that they are old and very, very few exist. Birds of Paradise is like $5 for an M12 printing but thousands for an Alpha/Beta copy.

Also WTF it's not a blocker in recreating old cards? That's the primary, explicitly-stated purpose of the reserved list - prevent reprints or functional reprints. Apparently a problem that has occurred multiple times in development is that they've created a card that is a 2/2 flying, first-strike that costs 1WW that they later realized they had to get rid of because it's a functional reprint of a reserved list card.

See also: Reverberate vs Fork, Phyrexian Negator reprint in a Duel Deck (which is easier to understand as a breach of the reserve list but c'mon)

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Cross-posted with the buy/sell thread: If anyone here is in the San Francisco or San Jose area, keep your ears open for someone who got their collection stolen, as it's up for sale here: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/clt/6095940211.html

Well that's certainly priced to move.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

My uncle owned a game shop that only had a foiled-out collection that would fit in a backpack.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

ThePeavstenator posted:

My uncle owned a game shop that only had a foiled-out collection that would fit in a backpack.

He also worked at Nintendo and his name was Albert Einstein.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ThePeavstenator posted:

My favorite part is "includes 6 ready-to-play decks" as if a store is going to put together a foiled-out Legacy D&T deck to loan out to any schlub who walks into the store.

A guy at my last store had a foiled-out Azami EDH deck stolen but they eventually caught the guy and got him his deck back, although this was in bumfuck-nowhere Illinois so I don't know if being in SF would make this easier or harder to get back.

E: Actually hey I have a Deckbox trade going with a guy who lives between SF ans SJ, sent it his way to try and spread it more quickly.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 21, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

See also: Reverberate vs Fork, Phyrexian Negator reprint in a Duel Deck (which is easier to understand as a breach of the reserve list but c'mon)

The reserved list used to allow for foil printings of the cards. Then they changed it because ???

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

The reserved list used to allow for foil printings of the cards. Then they changed it because ???

Because their lawyers said they might get sued.

Same reason we won't see another card as similar to a reserved card as reverberate, their lawyers also said something about that.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

EatinCake posted:

I like the reserved list, as it ensures some cards from the past will always retain their value, and also isn't really a blocker on re-creating old cards. If they wanted to they can easily reprint any reserved list card with very, very minor tweaks. They've done this a handful of times already.

Iconic Masters seem's like a weird way to approach it. For me, iconic is frozen shade. ...which is not something I want to open in a booster pack that would cost $10. Are hydra's even that 'iconic' when you go back to older sets? Outside of the red one from Apha that GREW HEADS.

As fun as the master's sets have been, I'm still waiting for another Time Spiral-esque set to show up. There's so much fun references and clever cards that came out of that block.

Lottery of Babylon, is that you?

Source your quotes.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Or because they choose not to. You're speculating.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I wonder if investor3 from mtgs is still :spergin: over masters reprints not being real cards.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The Sexual Shiite posted:

I wonder if investor3 from mtgs is still :spergin: over masters reprints not being real cards.

In ten boxes of Kaladesh I did not get one copy of Nissa, only got one Chandra, and then got playsets of several of the mythic rares. There should be on average 3 copies of each mythic in ten boxes of a set with 15 mythics.

In previous sets the distribution was really even with a similar amount of boxes. In Eldritch Moon I got pretty much exactly three copies of each mythic with nine boxes of the set. With twelve boxes of Shadows I also got a very even distribution of everything.

But then in Kaladesh it seemed much more random. Have they taken new measures to mix up boosters within boxes and boxes within cases?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i cracked a box of modern masters 17 and my only mythic was temporal mastery

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lottery of Babylon posted:

In ten boxes of Kaladesh I did not get one copy of Nissa, only got one Chandra, and then got playsets of several of the mythic rares. There should be on average 3 copies of each mythic in ten boxes of a set with 15 mythics.

In previous sets the distribution was really even with a similar amount of boxes. In Eldritch Moon I got pretty much exactly three copies of each mythic with nine boxes of the set. With twelve boxes of Shadows I also got a very even distribution of everything.

But then in Kaladesh it seemed much more random. Have they taken new measures to mix up boosters within boxes and boxes within cases?
:psyduck:

You know you are allowed to buy singles, right? $1000 buys you a lot of Nissa or Chandras.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think he cracks boxes for his store

i hope

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

its me glenda posted:

i think he cracks boxes for his store

i hope

Cards are only available in boosters. I don't pay other people to sort through packs for me and give me specific cards. You play with what you pull. If Wizards wanted it differently they'd have a singles store online.

From the beginning of Magic, the packaging style of the cards was intended to be part of how the game works, an element of the fun/collectible aspect of it. Players would play with the cards that they were lucky enough to find in their booster packs. Buying singles kills that entire aspect of the game.

I understand that constructing the best deck possible and purchasing singles to physically build it is a legitimate thing as well, but there's no denying that even without cards you open yourself being magically "soulbound" to you, there's a difference between possessing a highly collectible card that you cracked yourself vs. having the same card because you bought it as a single.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cards are only available in boosters. I don't pay other people to sort through packs for me and give me specific cards. You play with what you pull. If Wizards wanted it differently they'd have a singles store online.

From the beginning of Magic, the packaging style of the cards was intended to be part of how the game works, an element of the fun/collectible aspect of it. Players would play with the cards that they were lucky enough to find in their booster packs. Buying singles kills that entire aspect of the game.

I understand that constructing the best deck possible and purchasing singles to physically build it is a legitimate thing as well, but there's no denying that even without cards you open yourself being magically "soulbound" to you, there's a difference between possessing a highly collectible card that you cracked yourself vs. having the same card because you bought it as a single.

source your mtgsalvation quotes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is this the same guy who was flipping out that cards printed in masters sets aren't real cards

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Is this the same guy who was flipping out that cards printed in masters sets aren't real cards

It is, and god bless that motherfucker. In much the same way that I am inspired to clean my house when I see pictures of hoarder houses, I get inspired to buy singles whenever I read his posts.

Too bad his genetic line ends with him, I assume, because who would gently caress that guy, as we can expect that the universe will see fit to distribute his ubergooniness among us all upon his death, rather than to continue to see it concentrated in one place.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Good to see that after over a year of not reading magic threads absolutely nothing has changed. Lottery of Babylon provides a valuable service to us all.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Gonna crack some packs tomorrow morning! :toot:

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

I'd pay half of what it's worth.

Talk about pure profit

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

EatinCake posted:

I actually Googled this to see if it was from an MTGSalvation thread.

Oh yeah, that's the stuff. :350:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

even without cards you open yourself being magically "soulbound" to you

I know we're just assuming that this is an MTG Salvation post but I unironically love the idea that there are people who think like this playing the game. Every once in a while you get stories from some kitchen table kid who identifies themselves as, like, a green mage so all their decks are green or whatever. It's like the natural evolution of I SUMMON MY DARK MAGICIAN.

I would hope those people aren't spending $1000 on booster boxes every 3 months but :shobon: