Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

DasNeonLicht posted:

What cut of lamb are you using? I made a lamb stew a week or so ago with lamb shoulder chops and it turned out very well. Not a curry expert, but I'd imagine it follows the same rules as a stew — you need a poor cut of meat, cooked on low for at least a few hours for the connective tissue that makes it a poor cut to break down. I don't think 40 minutes is enough time.

Another tip I'd offer — I tend to anxiously stir my stews too often and usually end up with shredded meat. I left my most recent one alone until it was done and ended up with wonderfully tender chunks of meat.

I've done the same, stirring it too much and it's all become a shredded mess. At least the curry tastes drat good.

I'm just using regular diced lamb you get from the supermarket. My mum usually has it cooking for an hour, but then again, she's a cooking wizard so I shouldn't end up confused when my food turns out tough and chewy.

I'll give her a call later and ask her what her secret is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

When I make my lamb vindaloo I use diced lamb leg meat and it cooks for about an hour on a very low heat. I do marinade it in the sauce for most of the day though. I then drain the sauce off the meat and fry the lamb in small batches in the pot before it all goes back in to simmer.
I would say your curry needs more cooking time to tenderise.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I know you don't want more gadgets but I bought a pressure cooker specifically for stews and never looked back.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

al-azad posted:

I know you don't want more gadgets but I bought a pressure cooker specifically for stews and never looked back.

I got my sister and BiL an Instant Pot for their wedding and they love it. He makes curries in it all the time, and I'm pretty sure he's done some lamb ones.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

al-azad posted:

Yeah I have small kitchen storage space and shun a lot of gadgets also but I can't imagine not having a pressure cooker as part of my kitchen now. Lotta utility for several things.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If I didn't already have both I'd get a combo rice cooker and pressure cooker. Totally worth the space. Give away your slow cooker to make room.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I have the following items after shopping without a plan:

Red bell pepper
green bell pepper
a red mango
one small zucchini
a red onion
a yellow onion
a white onion
8 limes
Head of romaine
one bunch of ORGANIC kale

Basically I'm trying to eat more veggies while also getting better at cooking. I'm going to make a romaine/kale salad with an olive oil based dressing (never made salad dressing before) - I think I'll do the Jamie Oliver "2 parts oil to one part acid, plus salt and pepper". Maybe I can smoosh up some mango into a paste to use in addition to lemon juice as the acid?

What would you make for a simple vegetarian dinner over rice or pasta? My best idea so far, since I'm new to all of this cooking stuff, is basically a pepper and mango stir fry with kale and zucchini. Any recommendations on preparing that? Does anyone have a stir fry sauce that doesn't take too many crazy ingredients and would complement ingredients like these?

Thanks goons :shobon:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Astonishing Wang posted:

Basically I'm trying to eat more veggies while also getting better at cooking. I'm going to make a romaine/kale salad with an olive oil based dressing (never made salad dressing before) - I think I'll do the Jamie Oliver "2 parts oil to one part acid, plus salt and pepper". Maybe I can smoosh up some mango into a paste to use in addition to lemon juice as the acid?

What would you make for a simple vegetarian dinner over rice or pasta? My best idea so far, since I'm new to all of this cooking stuff, is basically a pepper and mango stir fry with kale and zucchini. Any recommendations on preparing that? Does anyone have a stir fry sauce that doesn't take too many crazy ingredients and would complement ingredients like these?

Sounds tasty, but usually when I think vegetarian, I think of the dish starring something with some substance. Peppers can do well here, but I think more of mushrooms, tofu, cheese, eggplant, etc. Without something leading the dish, it feels more like a side to me.

As for sauce, hoisin is fantastic, especially with fresh ginger and/or garlic.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
With those ingredients, I'd look at Indian or Middle Eastern... Like a mujadarra maybe.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Left my lamb curry on low, told myself I wouldn't forget I had it on. I'd just added some potatoes and was really looking forward to digging into it (right about now). Some friends messaged, we played a few games, I completely forgot about it. Go to take a leak, remember I have it cooking, check on it and it's burnt to a crisp :( I even remember thinking "I should add a little more water to protect me if I forget about it" but then "Nah I won't forget". Super gutted, it would have tasted amazing because it was left overnight soaking in all the flavours. I ate some of the top bits that weren't burnt and the potatoes were delicious.

I'm so mad at myself. Should have thrown it in the slow cooker!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Set a kitchen timer, there are like 10 in your kitchen already

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have an excess of bay leaves, as my tree has gone a bit mental: aside from drying the leaves and storing them, is there anything good to do with loads of extra bay?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Astonishing Wang posted:

I have the following items after shopping without a plan:

Red bell pepper
green bell pepper
a red mango
one small zucchini
a red onion
a yellow onion
a white onion
8 limes
Head of romaine
one bunch of ORGANIC kale

Thanks goons :shobon:

Simple veggie pasta thing - heat up some olive oil and fry off an onion (any colour will do, I like red for this though) and some garlic until translucent/golden, then add in some diced pepper/s and courgette. Get that cooking for a few minutes and put in some tomato (passata or a tin of chopped) with herbs of your choice, I tend to use oregano or oregano+basil. Cook that for a few more minutes and then start your pasta. When the pasta's cooked, have it with the chunky veggie sauce. This combination also works really nicely in a pasta bake.

Kale is amazing if you cook it with a fuckton of garlic, and makes an easy side to anything you fancy putting it with, really.

Since you are asking about stir fry and have a bunch of limes, what about using honey, soy sauce and lime juice? Whack in some ginger if you have any.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bollock Monkey posted:

Simple veggie pasta thing - heat up some olive oil and fry off an onion (any colour will do, I like red for this though) and some garlic until translucent/golden, then add in some diced pepper/s and courgette. Get that cooking for a few minutes and put in some tomato (passata or a tin of chopped) with herbs of your choice, I tend to use oregano or oregano+basil. Cook that for a few more minutes and then start your pasta. When the pasta's cooked, have it with the chunky veggie sauce. This combination also works really nicely in a pasta bake.

Kale is amazing if you cook it with a fuckton of garlic, and makes an easy side to anything you fancy putting it with, really.

Since you are asking about stir fry and have a bunch of limes, what about using honey, soy sauce and lime juice? Whack in some ginger if you have any.

Sounds good. I like to add a little sesame oil in as well and it really punches up the kale and goes nicely with it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Scientastic posted:

I have an excess of bay leaves, as my tree has gone a bit mental: aside from drying the leaves and storing them, is there anything good to do with loads of extra bay?

Anywhere that you would use bay, try adding like 10 times as much. I often find that people don't use enough bay.

It also makes a very nice tea.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Ice cream

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Anywhere that you would use bay, try adding like 10 times as much. I often find that people don't use enough bay.

This. Especially when you buy it by the bagful at an ethic market. It's cheap as hell and tastes good. Use more.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Scientastic posted:

I use a good fistful for Adobo. Also, when making jerk anything, I soak them with some all spice berries in water overnight and chuck them on the fire to smoke the thing that's getting jerked.

They also make a nice panna cotta,

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Cavenagh posted:

I use a good fistful for Adobo. Also, when making jerk anything, I soak them with some all spice berries in water overnight and chuck them on the fire to smoke the thing that's getting jerked.

Whoa buddy, save that stuff for DPPH.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Im craving some kinda chipotle lime shredded pork, something along those lines. Anyone got a decent recipe i can do in my oven for some shredded pork for tacos?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Captainsalami posted:

Im craving some kinda chipotle lime shredded pork, something along those lines. Anyone got a decent recipe i can do in my oven for some shredded pork for tacos?

I like this one http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/07/no-waste-tacos-de-carnitas-with-salsa-verde-recipe.html

Eat with chipotle sauce instead of the salsa verde if you​ want.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I keep buying english muffins because I forget I already have a bunch and I think "These will be good for breakfast". What should I do with them? I was thinking of just piling scrambled (or maybe poached) eggs onto the open halves of the english muffins and stir-frying a bit of bell peppers / onion / tomatoes. Something reasonably quick and easy for me to do on weekday mornings - I tend to take my mornings slow and relaxed, but I'd rather not spend an hour making a breakfast that I'll eat in 8 minutes.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Scientastic posted:

Send them to me please. Not kidding, I will pay postage.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

ExecuDork posted:

I keep buying english muffins because I forget I already have a bunch and I think "These will be good for breakfast". What should I do with them? I was thinking of just piling scrambled (or maybe poached) eggs onto the open halves of the english muffins and stir-frying a bit of bell peppers / onion / tomatoes. Something reasonably quick and easy for me to do on weekday mornings - I tend to take my mornings slow and relaxed, but I'd rather not spend an hour making a breakfast that I'll eat in 8 minutes.

I used to make an egg sandwich almost every day for breakfast. That lasted like two months, but I still eat them as part of my breakfast rotation. Fry an egg, cook some Taylor ham (highly recommended) or Spam or breakfast sausage or whatever sounds good, melt some cheese, breakfast.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I want to use Kenji's Tacos Al Pastor (http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/05/food-lab-tacos-al-pastor.html) recipe but modify it to make beef shawarma, anybody got any ideas about what cut of beef restaurants use for shawarma? Should I just swap out the pork sirloin for beef sirloin?

I'm also debating if I should make my own spice blend or buy shawarma seasoning from the halal market. Anybody had any experience with something like that?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Does bay add any bitterness?

A while back my black beans were coming out a bit bitter, and I couldn't tell if it was the beans or the spices (I figured cloves, cinnamon, or bay could be the culprit).

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

the_chavi posted:

Crock pot brisket tacos - http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-to-feed-a-crowd-slow-cooker-barbacoa-beef-165301 This monster of a meal will feed a huge crowd, especially if you add Mexican rice or guac or something. This is one of my favorites, and it's really easy.

Would this recipe work for a similar amount of chicken instead of brisket? If so, should I let it slow cook for the same amount of time?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Eeyo posted:

Does bay add any bitterness?

A while back my black beans were coming out a bit bitter, and I couldn't tell if it was the beans or the spices (I figured cloves, cinnamon, or bay could be the culprit).

Not that I've seen. Maybe if you used a whole lot of it? How much did you add?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Would this recipe work for a similar amount of chicken instead of brisket? If so, should I let it slow cook for the same amount of time?

yes, no. Much shorter, look at another recipe for cook time. Use legs.

Sebastien Lenorman
Apr 12, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I've got a recipe request:

In a weekend drunken amazon shopping incident i may have ordered a bag of 10-12 dried Carolina reapers. In the bright light of day i realize that this was a stupid idea and its basically the everclear of food.

Does anything exist that turns them into a spicy, but human-consumption rated food? Maybe some kind of sauce? I'm hoping for something thats more "actually good and spicy" not "This sauce is just a dare for idiots". Thank you.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

the peppers themselves are very fruity like a habanero, so look for dried habanero uses and expect it to be 2-3 times hotter.

/e- nvm, I read that as scorpion peppers. 3-4 times hotter and I've unfortunately yet to try those in a puree/plain/dried so I'm not sure what he flavor profile is.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I would dice them up really small, and then mix them in to 50lbs of white rice.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sebastien Lenorman posted:

I've got a recipe request:

In a weekend drunken amazon shopping incident i may have ordered a bag of 10-12 dried Carolina reapers. In the bright light of day i realize that this was a stupid idea and its basically the everclear of food.

Does anything exist that turns them into a spicy, but human-consumption rated food? Maybe some kind of sauce? I'm hoping for something thats more "actually good and spicy" not "This sauce is just a dare for idiots". Thank you.

Rehydrate, puree, cook the peppers down with some sugar into a thick paste. Next make chocolate pastry cream, mix some of your reaper jelly into some of the pastry cream, make five normal chocolate cream puffs to every reaper puff, serve to friends.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm making thai this weekend, but have a coconut allergic friend.
Which makes the better substitute for coconut milk: Cream/half/half or Almond Milk?
I wanna make a nice pot of curry in addition to the basil beef, but also don't want to kill a friend.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

toplitzin posted:

Which makes the better substitute for coconut milk: Cream/half/half or Almond Milk?
I wanna make a nice pot of curry in addition to the basil beef, but also don't want to kill a friend.

Cream is probably your best bet

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

toplitzin posted:

I've done plenty of curries with heavy cream/half & half before, it works fine, you just have to make sure you don't simmer the curry too hard so you don't break the cream.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Carolina reapers.

Does anything exist that turns them into a spicy, but human-consumption rated food? Maybe some kind of sauce?

How edible would a chili oil be with them? Guess you could adjust the chili/oil ratio to manage the heat, but maybe no actual flavour would be left. Do a large batch, bottle it up, give to friends, or enemies depending on how it turns out.

Sebastien Lenorman
Apr 12, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
My current running plan is to de-seed them, grind them into tiny flakes and mix them with some kind of cajun powder to make a "holy poo poo this is hot" thing to shake onto my pizza. But a sauce recipe would be better. (Google isnt really lighting my world on fire)

To make chili oil i just put them in oil for a few months? Like a tincture?

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

I think to get the chili infused oil you need to heat it up, but Google suggests cold/longer infusion also works.

edit: Apparently you get out more from hot/warm infusion and less risk of bad things happening. Also, some ideas for chilli infusions: http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/07/how-to-make-chile-infused-vinegar-honey-oils-infusions.html

rgocs fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

My current running plan is to de-seed them, grind them into tiny flakes and mix them with some kind of cajun powder to make a "holy poo poo this is hot" thing to shake onto my pizza. But a sauce recipe would be better. (Google isnt really lighting my world on fire)

I once tried to make fermented hot sauce from home grown habaneros. I saw elsewhere on the internet that I could cover the mixture with cheesecloth under an open mason jar rim, and it grew mold. So if you go that route, do better research than mine.