Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Zelda's special for all the little ways the various mechanics interact with each other but outside of the shrines, which were fun bite-sized bite-sized puzzles, there wasn't really anything compelling. I don't think the world was pretty enough to want to take the time to climb up the mountains. The fact that you could was amazing but I found the execution to be lacking. I don't have any real affinity for Zelda except really enjoying the NES games, but I honestly think the game would have benefited from having more traditional Zelda elements with the open world aspect. Making the tools you usually get in those games a way to make the exploration and combat more interesting would have done the game wonders.

I played it after Horizons and it filled in the gaps Horizon failed to do so (mainly the go anywhere exploration) but it just didn't hold a candle to everything else about it.

I do find it hilarious that 3 games in the span of a month take place in the post-apocalypse where you fight mechanical enemies, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

More like a slow walk towards a pitch-black abyss but it sure is beautiful.

Yes! You're much more eloquent than me. :)

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Zelda and Horizon are really different games that probably wouldn't get compared together if it weren't for their close release dates. Zelda is primarily a system based playground where you use creativity gently caress around and find unique ways to progress, HZD is focused almost entirely on a tightly designed combat system. Both are fantastically executed

I vastly prefer Horizon, but that's because of my taste in genres rather than the actual quality of each game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The shrines are mostly very bad

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

When is the PlayStation 5?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Feenix posted:

So I made it to (Nier Automata spoiler) escaping the old Factory with the religious bots. A bit more enjoyable but not super hooked-in yet.

I'm guessing I'm close to Ending A. Yeah?

The next story mission is the end. Get to B.

Real hurthling! posted:

The shrines are mostly very bad

I super disagree.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is the genre of music in persona 5? It's sloop good

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Turtlicious posted:

What is the genre of music in persona 5? It's sloop good

Acid Jazz.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Appreciating the Zelda v HZD chat as I'm playing Zelda right now and was going to go into HZD right after that. Think I'll probably need to take a break from open world between them now, so I gues Nier is next? Maybe Nioh? Dragon Quest Warriors 2 (though I guess they made that open world too)? There are so many good games right now, and I'm probably only going to be able to squeeze a few in before the next Yakuza and Hot Shots.

This decision will probably be made by whatever goes on sale first, now that I think of it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Fix posted:

Appreciating the Zelda v HZD chat as I'm playing Zelda right now and was going to go into HZD right after that. Think I'll probably need to take a break from open world between them now, so I gues Nier is next? Maybe Nioh? Dragon Quest Warriors 2 (though I guess they made that open world too)? There are so many good games right now, and I'm probably only going to be able to squeeze a few in before the next Yakuza and Hot Shots.

Nioh is linear and you different. A good cleanser I think. Nier has open world elements.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bombadilillo posted:

I super disagree.

Watches cutscene, watches cutscene, loads, watches cutscene, another baby puzzle/identical battle/nothing at all lol, watches cutscene, gets orb, watches cutscene, loads

x120

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Policenaut posted:

New Hot Shots Golf finally has an overseas release date and, surprise, it's coming out before the Japanese version! North America gets it on August 29th, and Europe gets it on the 30th. The name of the game is finally unified globally as it's now Everybody's Golf in all 3 regions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbv5qnspMQg

You can pre-order it now on the PSN. Costs $39.99 USD!

Hell yeah!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Oh poo poo I missed that. Everybody's Golf for 40 USD this summer. Nice.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

How about the micro transactions in Everybody Golf? I assume you have to pay for each bucket of range balls and golf cart charge ups and fishing tackle and stuff.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really wish I enjoyed Neir more. I feel like I've been waiting for that moment for it to click for way longer than I normally would because of all the raving about how good it is and how excited I was for it, but I really can't remember the last time a game bored me this much. Some part of me is still convinced it will happen but I'm getting less optimistic.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 21, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

I really wish I enjoyed Neir more. I feel like I've been waiting for that moment for it to click for way longer than I normally would because of all the raving about how good it is and how excited I was for it, but I really can't remember the last time a game bored me this much. Some part of me is still convinced it will happen but I'm getting less optimistic.

are you in route b yet? hit triangle if so

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Honestly, I loved Nier: Automata, but almost entirely for the story. I felt like the gameplay ended up being a very mediocre and mostly being good because it contributed to the interactive nature of the story.

The melee combat is not very interesting, and doesn't get much more interesting at higher difficulties. Most of the shmup sections are really uninteresting and unchallenging by shmup standards also.

I don't think that the gameplay is actually bad at all. It's very slick and very responsive, but it was never what wowwed me. Ever. I never once was like "wow that was loving awesome" because of the gameplay. There were boss fights were I was like "wow, that was fuckin awesome" because of the story, or the presentation, but never because of the gameplay.

I also didn't really enjoy the combat in Transformers: Devastation. Those are the only 2 platinum games that I've played.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Tiny thing bugging me in HZD: is there any explanation for those two vendors in Meridian -- one sells sets of unique objects whose only use is trading them to the other vendor for reward boxes that seem to contain about twice what you paid to get those objects? If you try to think about it on in-world terms, they're like 100 feet away. Have they just never met? The commodities you trade are called like "rusty bolts" and "dirty baskets" and if there's some joke in there like the "ancient vessels" it's going over my head.

Kinda reeks of cut content, like the objects were supposed to be collectibles found scattered in the world or through a sidequest and then they realized the map was busy enough as is, but the rewards aren't anything so unique or important to balance that they couldn't have just dropped it entirely.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snak posted:

Honestly, I loved Nier: Automata, but almost entirely for the story. I felt like the gameplay ended up being a very mediocre and mostly being good because it contributed to the interactive nature of the story.

The melee combat is not very interesting, and doesn't get much more interesting at higher difficulties. Most of the shmup sections are really uninteresting and unchallenging by shmup standards also.

I don't think that the gameplay is actually bad at all. It's very slick and very responsive, but it was never what wowwed me. Ever. I never once was like "wow that was loving awesome" because of the gameplay. There were boss fights were I was like "wow, that was fuckin awesome" because of the story, or the presentation, but never because of the gameplay.

I also didn't really enjoy the combat in Transformers: Devastation. Those are the only 2 platinum games that I've played.

Yeah agreed. I just bumped it down to easy and I'm just going for the main story from here on out I think.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah agreed. I just bumped it down to easy and I'm just going for the main story from here on out I think.

You're probably going to want to bump it back up at some point. By time I was partway through route B it was basically impossible for me to die playing on normal. But if you don't get bored playing on easy, cool.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
With auto potion and auto hp recover going an enemy would have to do like 500,000 damage in the space of a half second to have a chance of killing me. I guess that's possible since I have died a few times, but it's very rare and only when I was just not paying attention at all.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Build variety seemed cool. But I got 50% health for an enemy kill. Then it was bosses and 1 shots to worry about.

Also bullet hell was a joke.

Until...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

With auto potion and auto hp recover going an enemy would have to do like 500,000 damage in the space of a half second to have a chance of killing me. I guess that's possible since I have died a few times, but it's very rare and only when I was just not paying attention at all.

Yeah, I had auto item use, offensive heal, auto heal, and deadly heal. Killing an enemy refilled 1/3 of my health. Any enemy. I one-shot most enemy.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Snak posted:

Yeah, I had auto item use, offensive heal, auto heal, and deadly heal. Killing an enemy refilled 1/3 of my health. Any enemy. I one-shot most enemy.

Yeah I had all those. Until deadly heal hit 50% then I took off the other heals because lol its OP as poo poo. Maybe auto item for safety net.

There's some regular baddies late game thst get a grab attack that could 1 shot me. But ironically bosses couldnt kill me, just the tall regular ones.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 21, 2017

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, despite being made by platinum, N:A had one of the biggest problems the original had in that the higher difficulty just didn't make the game harder in an interesting way. Like by the end of N:A I was way overpowered and wanted it to become harder but bumping the difficulty made it so the enemies died just as quickly but I died in like three hits or was one shotted (even when equipped with defense ups) which isn't my idea of fun. Oddly the original had the opposite problem in that upping the difficulty didn't make the enemies do much more damage but gave them endless life bars, which also sucks.

Despite this I still liked the combat and it was even better once I equipped Witch Time but it was still a bit mindless overall.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I actually don't like Horizon's combat system very much.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it always seems to boil down to applying an element and running until your slomo recharges. You can use traps and stuff but that's usually just to buy time to recharge.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I am now playing uncharted 2 and enjoying it significantly more than the first. It feels like a lot of the things people said about 4 from the trilogy are actually true in this from the first. Much, much less combat, more options to stealth for a moment etc.
Still it just took me 4 headshots to take a dude down though (yes 3 may have been in his neck but it's pretty shameful) and I'm playing on easy. I still find it really stressful to play, moreso than souls games. Those I feel I can learn and control eventually, but uncharted 2 I'm still running down a dead end with nothing in it then turning to leave to find where I'm supposed to go and getting a shotgun in my back by a dude who spawned where I was standing a moment before. I also can't decide if I'm supposed to push forward because there are infinitely spawning enemies or not because it very often feels like it.
Edit: I guess what I'm getting at is that I don't trust the game. I'm constantly expecting it to do something bullshit with no warning.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 21, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm really tempted to grab either persona 5 or horizon, but I'm only about halfway through nioh and I normally finish everything I start. But something about the game just isn't gripping me and it feels wrong. It's an extremely technical game that doesn't explain anything and constantly feels like it breaks its own rules, which means either it's failed to communicate some really important things or it just has no rules that you can rely on. Either one is terrible for the kind of game it is. Combine that with a fuckton of boring menuing in between levels, and I rarely feel motivated to press on. I think it doesn't help that I've seen some of the stuff that's coming later in the thread, and it includes things like a boss I really hated except you have to fight him at the same time as another boss, which looks miserable.

Does anything about nioh change substantially in the second half? I have 8 main missions left to go. But I'm pretty tempted to just start another game and come back to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spite posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but it always seems to boil down to applying an element and running until your slomo recharges. You can use traps and stuff but that's usually just to buy time to recharge.

If you're running away then you're not fighting very effectively. Slow-mo is useful but you have a ton of combat options without it (up to and including slow-mo via sliding). If you're finding enemies too mobile then ropecaster them.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I didn't really like Horizon that much either since many of the options you had were just too strong. Sure you died fast on very hard but most of the robots were huge chumps since the freeze effect made everything take a ton of damage and could just be ropecaster cheesed to death. If the enemy was vulnerable to corruption it was even easier. Resources weren't an issue either since I always had a ton of everything.

It's the same issue I had with Witcher 3 combat. Once you learn how stuff works the game becomes trivially easy.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 21, 2017

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Spite posted:

Everything that I fought has a specific sequence that makes it easier, like by the end of the game I could kill a Thunderjaw in less than 30 seconds, one of the big birds in less than 45, and a pack of Behemoths in less than 60, all generally using different weaponry and swapping stuff out and throwing in melee for style points. It was satisfying to me because on initial contact each of these things seemed nearly impossible but then at the end I could style on them without ever worrying about dying and it wasn't because my equipment got much better. I was playing on v.hard though I dunno.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Tiny thing bugging me in HZD: is there any explanation for those two vendors in Meridian -- one sells sets of unique objects whose only use is trading them to the other vendor for reward boxes that seem to contain about twice what you paid to get those objects? If you try to think about it on in-world terms, they're like 100 feet away. Have they just never met? The commodities you trade are called like "rusty bolts" and "dirty baskets" and if there's some joke in there like the "ancient vessels" it's going over my head.

Kinda reeks of cut content, like the objects were supposed to be collectibles found scattered in the world or through a sidequest and then they realized the map was busy enough as is, but the rewards aren't anything so unique or important to balance that they couldn't have just dropped it entirely.

They exist. They're hard to find. The dumb thing about them is that by the time you get them, they're not very helpful because you could just buy purple mod boxes and get something roughly on par.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think Horizons combat is fantastic at it's core but you definetly get way overpowered after while. Imo it all kind of boils down to the half baked economy and loot, as well as lack of any interesting modifiers on the machines. Resources that should be precious are widely available so there is no reason to conserve your best stuff and you are free to ignore the other stuff. Luckily the story and world design were plenty to keep me entertained through that stretch, but it's something I hope they improve on for a sequel or possible DLC.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I downloaded Lovers and tried playing singleplayer for awhile

Is this game remarkably easier with multiplayer? I was getting kinda frustrated with how many enemies it throws at you at literally all times and I'm not sure if bringing my friend into this is going to make it any better.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not designed for single player at all so I dunno why they let you.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Unreal_One posted:

Also, the cooking made the difficulty more "How much do you like pressing the same button combo, over and over and over" than actually skill based. I mean, Zelda games are rarely hard, but they do at least limit your healing. I'd much rather they halved the damage the big guys do, and make it so you can't carry 40+ full heals.

It's a great game, but I wish I understood why people feel it's the best game ever.

Same fam. I hated the cooking aspect. I don't mind material gathering: I just can't be bothered to open the menu and mash buttons to make an individual concoction and look recipes up online. Redoing the cooking interface would help, but I would just rather not have it altogether. People really lost their poo poo over it though. It's a fun game, but it really wasn't the best game ever made for the next 100 years.

Real hurthling! posted:

Its very bad at being a zelda game actually.

It is tbh. They took a lot of risks and it actually worked out for them, I think. That said, if you're expecting the normal linear Zelda experience and such, it is definitely not that.

Failboattootoot posted:

Zelda is a weird game to me, having just finished it. I liked it quite a bit! It's definitely the best Zelda game they've ever made (which probably doesn't count for much coming from me since I've disliked every Zelda since until now). But it still felt wildly overhyped to me and I wouldn't place it above any of the other games I've beaten this year so far.

I agree with all of this.

Gravy Jones posted:

I like Zelda and a lot of the things it does. I love the attention to detail in such a big sprawling game. But I really don't enjoy the shrines, which given that they're such a key part of progression in the game ended up being too much of an obstacle to continue. Other than that it would be close between Zelda and HZD. Beyond the "open world" they're very different games and I think the need to compare only really comes from the proximity of their release and how well received they were.

I thought the shrines were kinda fun and intuitive, breaking up the monotony. Some were really frustrating though.

veni veni veni posted:

Zelda was really cool. It had a really cool sense of exploration that few games nail so well. It also gets really samey after a while and Nintendos hardware just did not pull off the scope they wanted. The pop in and loss off detail was actually pretty damaging to the game imo and I'm not even a graphics whore. I do hope more open world games taken the same approach to discovering things as Zelda because it's way more satisfying than traveling to an icon on a map.

I liked HZD better but it's probably in part that I played it first. I actually 100% Horizon and I never do that.

Game ran better on Wii-u lmao. For being the first and pretty much only major game on their flagship system it was pretty sad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's kind of sad because I played it on Wii U.

Don't get me wrong I don't care that it looks a bit low tech, but when enemies and significant pieces of terrain don't load in until you are 30 feet away it actually effects the game quite a bit. I couldn't help but think that the game would have not had those issues and actually looked like the cutscenes if it wasn't doomed to be on a Nintendo system forever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It didn't run better on WiiU, it ran pretty much the same docked and better on the Switch undocked.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
The performance didn't bug me at all in Zelda with the single exception of the weird thing where sometimes the game would hang for a long time after I hit an enemy. I heard that was present in all versions though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

veni veni veni posted:

That's kind of sad because I played it on Wii U.

Don't get me wrong I don't care that it looks a bit low tech, but when enemies and significant pieces of terrain don't load in until you are 30 feet away it actually effects the game quite a bit. I couldn't help but think that the game would have not had those issues and actually looked like the cutscenes if it wasn't doomed to be on a Nintendo system forever.

Yeah, it's not bad enough that I won't play it, but it is atrociously bad

Sakurazuka posted:

It didn't run better on WiiU, it ran pretty much the same docked and better on the Switch undocked.

Well the game shouldn't run better undocked, period. But pretty sure it did run better on the wii-u in many situations. There are tons of breakdowns online. Regardless, the difference is negligible and that is still sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not knowing if enemies were gone or just hadn't loaded yet until I was right there annoyed the hell out of me.

Still it was a ridiculously good game. I'm mostly nitpicking.