Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Can't wait for Cig to use the toilet citizen and the bunny citizen photos for giant banners at citcon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hobold posted:

I see this and it reminds me of that sci-fi show Kevin Sorbo was in. Andromeda Ascendant or something.

well footage of the andromeda entering slipstream has about as much to do with Star Citizen as that computer generated cinematic I posted that they used to sell a few million dollars worth of ships

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So not sure if i'm thinking this right, really sick atm and consumed large amounts of medications so kinda not with it, but all 1 has to do is just create aton of accounts using 1's own referral thingy buying just the starter package, win the contest get the free trip to USA then once flown back refund all the starter accounts rite ? and CiG will be outta pocket both due to the accounts being refunded and cost of airfare etc etc

Or we can just use Derek's secret referral code and make him the winner, enjoy the immense lolz that will be had when it's revealed he won and CiG paying for he's airfair accomodation etc etc etc then afterwards just refund the starter accounts packages ??

or am i just thinking the wrong way of thought due to the medications

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/Wetherbee
This dude has 1,108 RP already? That's over $44,320?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/Wetherbee
This dude has 1,108 RP already? That's over $44,320?
BoredGamer (the bald monotone streamer dude) only has 877 RP. I doubt anyone other than streamers or people taking out advertisements of their referral codes could get numbers like that.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

thatguy posted:

BoredGamer (the bald monotone streamer dude) only has 877 RP. I doubt anyone other than streamers or people taking out advertisements of their referral codes could get numbers like that.

There is zero chance that 1,000 new people have signed up in like a day for Star Citizen, from just that one guy.

That would suggest somehow that at this point Star Citizen, a crysis mod with no gameplay, has more robust growth than every other existent MMO put together. I doubt WoW even breaks 100 new people a day anymore and the referral program is suggesting Star Citizen in April 2017, 3 years past it's release date and a year since it was actually updated is pulling in thousands of new accounts every day.

It's just whales buying their own referrals.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
LOL at the idea that the kind of backer who can get 2942 referrals wouldn't want the Idris over a loving trip. Although if you get 2017 referrals you get a loving Javelin so who the gently caress knows anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RLYch3lxVk&t=1325s

I wonder at what point they actually make sure the thing is fun to fly?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Blue Cross Blue Balls posted:

So not sure if i'm thinking this right, really sick atm and consumed large amounts of medications so kinda not with it, but all 1 has to do is just create aton of accounts using 1's own referral thingy buying just the starter package, win the contest get the free trip to USA then once flown back refund all the starter accounts rite ? and CiG will be outta pocket both due to the accounts being refunded and cost of airfare etc etc

Or we can just use Derek's secret referral code and make him the winner, enjoy the immense lolz that will be had when it's revealed he won and CiG paying for he's airfair accomodation etc etc etc then afterwards just refund the starter accounts packages ??

Any account purchased at this point will have their refund denied under the new TOS, unless you live somewhere where that's not permitted like Australia. In which case sure, drop over $100K on a prank.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

no_recall posted:

I'm sitting here wondering how the pilots can see past those arms with the cockpits situated on the sides.

Layering on the fidelity I guess.

Oh wow I thought those were some sort of engine thing. Those are cockpits! And they are buried inside the ship with the arms curving in!
What pile of poop!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Space Crabs posted:

This is exactly what's happening.

Or there is money laundering going on.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Two people already reached the MMHC last year, so of course they could triple those sales numbers by August.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Space Crabs posted:

There is zero chance that 1,000 new people have signed up in like a day for Star Citizen, from just that one guy.

That would suggest somehow that at this point Star Citizen, a crysis mod with no gameplay, has more robust growth than every other existent MMO put together. I doubt WoW even breaks 100 new people a day anymore and the referral program is suggesting Star Citizen in April 2017, 3 years past it's release date and a year since it was actually updated is pulling in thousands of new accounts every day.

It's not from only today, the referral program has been going for a while now. You only need to get one new referral to be "ranked" right now.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I wonder how many WTFO or that Billy Mays guy will have.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

thank god you don't get banned anymore for drunk posting, I don't think I've ever browsed this thread sober

Wait, you don't? Fuckkkkkkkk. I know I have some tequila (the drink where even the cheap varieties are loving great MoMA) around her.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

nawledgelambo posted:

I for one will be glad when we are all posting on page one thousand talking about how CIG collapsed which was foretold by the prophesy of Emissary Smart, "5 days; ELE is now in Phase IV"

We will be talking about this on page 1,000 five threads into the future.

This train wreck of a dumpster fire will keep on charging for quite some time.

Perhaps I'm wrong and the crash is coming soon. Either way, it will provide a ton of laughs during its voyage into the abyss.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
when does it end?

i don't have the constitution to follow this thing.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Any account purchased at this point will have their refund denied under the new TOS, unless you live somewhere where that's not permitted like Australia. In which case sure, drop over $100K on a prank.

I do infact live in Aus. Certainly came in handy when i got my refund along time ago. What with steam getting bent over and dry humped by the law here in Aus. Didn't even get a deny letter from them just sent my refund request and a week or so latter Paypal got my 25+k back

drat didn't even bother calculating how much would need to be spent to rigg the contest for the lulz.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

TheAgent posted:

make a death metal "oh Chris" or a dubstep/trance music remix of it and you'll get a few games on steam

This is the best thing ever. I would actually request both and let the thread vote.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Is it even legal for them to do this? I mean, every other contest has a "no purchase necessary" so company's can't do that.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

Is it even legal for them to do this? I mean, every other contest has a "no purchase necessary" so company's can't do that.

If the best Sales person in the world since she was a little girl says/thinks it legal then it must be. :shrug:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The future: https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/4/20/15375842/plastc-bankrupt-campaign-fold-backers

quote:

Plastc launched in 2014 with the promise of shipping a single card that could digitally hold 20 credit or debit cards that a user could switch between. The company raised more than $9 million through preorders, and today, after shipping to no backers, the company said it’s planning to file for bankruptcy and will shut down.

With that, all backers’ money is lost, and no Plastc cards will ship. Plastc announced the news on its website today along with the fact that all its employees have been laid off. Its customer care and social media channels have also been shut down.

The team writes that it’s, “disappointed and emotionally distraught, and while we know this is extremely disappointing for you, we want our backers to know that we did everything we could to make Plastc Card a reality.”

The company explains that it thought it would close $3.5 million in funding in February this year, but that fell through. Another possible investment deal of $6.75 million fell through, too. What’s not clear is how more than $9 million wasn’t sufficient to get backers their orders. Backers will likely have questions and want their money back, but with no one to turn to from Plastc, they’ll likely be out the cash.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
How could someone with 20 credit or debit cards be so careless with their money?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

If the best Sales person in the world since she was a little girl says/thinks it legal then it must be. :shrug:

So it is in there:

But then there is this part:

I wonder if we could work the system?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

just because someone says they want to make something, doesn't mean it can be done

see: Star Citizen

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

spacetoaster posted:

don't touch the poop

seriously

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Oh snap! It seems like they're on to us! Check out the disqualifications!

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
i tried to maximize the amount of copyrights infringed upon so we can guarantee some legal action

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

So it is in there:

But then there is this part:

I'm not a big fancy lawyer or anything, but how can you participate in the contest without having made a pledge or purchase... you would have had to buy an account originally with which to even be entering into the contest

Ok that confused even me... I'm tired

So $40 minimum and the account can't be refunded right away or they rescind the RP... are people really going to just buy themselves RP by spending $40x2017 ? lol

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/855240477691531264
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/855245183688085505
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/855259610189627393
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/855241968057815044

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SirPenguin posted:

i tried to maximize the amount of copyrights infringed upon so we can guarantee some legal action

:chanpop:

Sappo569 posted:

I'm not a big fancy lawyer or anything, but how can you participate in the contest without having made a pledge or purchase... you would have had to buy an account originally with which to even be entering into the contest

So $40 minimum and the account can't be refunded right away or they rescind the RP... are people really going to just buy themselves RP by spending $40x2017 ? lol

Just refund the starter accounts after the event has finished and once they have flown you back to your destination. You get a free trip at CiG expense and your money back from the starter accounts, and CiG is left with picking up the bill.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sappo569 posted:

Could be illegal. But I'm no lawyer...

quote:

Yesterday I got an email about a contest that Rackspace is offering: Win 8 months free Rackspace hosting, for up to $1000/month. Pretty good deal huh? All you have to do is sign up hosting account at Rackspace, and you might be the winner!

Bzzzt, wrong answer! Unfortunately Rackspace’s marketing department must not have realized they were violating a Federal Trade Commission law; contest rules must include No Purchase Necessary otherwise the contest becomes a lottery and thus illegal!

...It's not a game of chance though, so might be ok.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

thatguy posted:

Do some people have wrinkled dick-heads?

hard a rock

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

Could be illegal. But I'm no lawyer...

...It's not a game of chance though, so might be ok.

That still confuses me, is it just that the fine print has to read "No Purchase Necessary" , and they're still allowed to say 'sign up for your chance to enter..... also when you sign up it costs $xxx.xx"

Cause if I wanted to enter the CIG contest, I would need to go right now and purchase a base game package. I couldn't just sign up without giving them some amount of money, could I?

How is that no purchase necessary then?

Why am I spending so much time thinking this over, it will just implode in the next 24 hours anyways

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

But she has no wedding ring on like she did the other week, what does this mean .... so confused.

Edit : She not he .... bad mistake

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 21, 2017

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sappo569 posted:

That still confuses me, is it just that the fine print has to read "No Purchase Necessary" , and they're still allowed to say 'sign up for your chance to enter..... also when you sign up it costs $xxx.xx"

Cause if I wanted to enter the CIG contest, I would need to go right now and purchase a base game package. I couldn't just sign up without giving them some amount of money, could I?

Why am I spending so much time thinking this over, it will just implode in the next 24 hours anyways

It's a pledge, not a purchase.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I do infact live in Aus. Certainly came in handy when i got my refund along time ago. What with steam getting bent over and dry humped by the law here in Aus. Didn't even get a deny letter from them just sent my refund request and a week or so latter Paypal got my 25+k back

drat didn't even bother calculating how much would need to be spent to rigg the contest for the lulz.

That's good and amazing, could you tell us why you decided to optout?

$25,000 Is a way load to have put in, it would help us all if you could tell us why you ever put that much in and why you got it back out?

Thanks for you input, you are saving other people money.

Good work.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

You don't need to give them money to have an account.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6U-FY9uNRg&t=60s

Skulltrumpet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

trucutru posted:

Wait, you don't? Fuckkkkkkkk. I know I have some tequila (the drink where even the cheap varieties are loving great MoMA) around her.

It hasn't been bannable for a long time, but you might still get probated for it if you get blackout drunk make some really terrible posts.