Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I have a feeling this Juicero thing could only ever be invented in the US. I don't think anyone from another country would think people want a 400$ machine and copyrighted pods to make juice.

Veotax posted:

I still find it insane that America is only now moving to chip and pin.

"Why does america do stupid poo poo"
"why doesn't america do this stupid poo poo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Veotax posted:

We don't like it either. One of the downsides of not having a national bank (no, the Federal Reserve is not at all a national bank) is that there's no central authority to mandate banking changes.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The dry humor fox in space goes for doesn't need the star fox part at all. No character in that series has any depth they could just explain anything needed to known from star fox as basis in a second.
Also the best parts of Harvey birdman are the prosecutors and they're nothing like their base characters.

The excuse for Fox to take his pants off joke about him having metal legs is a real fan theory based on the character designs, but that's about it.

Veotax posted:

Is it really surprising that a country the size of a continent with fifty different sets of state financial regulations would take slightly longer to upgrade its entire POS checkout and banking systems compared to countries with much smaller and more homogeneous populations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Guy Mann posted:

The excuse for Fox to take his pants off joke about him having metal legs is a real fan theory based on the character designs, but that's about it.

Is it really surprising that a country the size of a continent with fifty different sets of state financial regulations would take slightly longer to upgrade its entire POS checkout and banking systems compared to countries with much smaller and more homogeneous populations.

Well, India did it in 2015...

quote:

Accordingly, banks are advised that with effect from September 1, 2015 all new cards issued - debit and credit, domestic and international - by banks shall be EMV chip and pin based cards," RBI said in a notification.

And China started migrating in 2013, it seems.

And Canada has a much more spread-out population and an extra 100 000 square kilometers, but we adopted in 2010 with a pretty slow rollout to debit cards.

It's almost like the US isn't an exception in every way! :monocle: At least Russia is still lagging on chip and pin adoption. But they've got nearly twice the landmass of the US and half of that doesn't have elecricity, so I guess that might make sense.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I remember like a year or two ago, America tried starting to go towards chips, then went "gently caress that" and started taping over the slots, and only now we're giving the chips another go.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

When you're talking chips, you're talking tap-to-pay like tech yeah?

The US doesn't have that yet? :psyduck:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Waffleman_ posted:

I remember like a year or two ago, America tried starting to go towards chips, then went "gently caress that" and started taping over the slots, and only now we're giving the chips another go.

What you're thinking of is that a bunch of stores actually get sold readers that didn't work reliably, lol.

Infinitum posted:

What? No, we introduced that like 6 years ago and then just as quickly stopped using it because it wasn't any faster or easier than magstripe and there were (and still are) security concerns. The readers are all still around but most banks don't bother to issue cards using it anymore.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
I'm waiting for the day that my body emits my CC info and I can go to a gas station and shout "GIMMIE SOME DORITOS" and a guy throws them to me as I walk by.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

i love that yet another thread is going to turn into three pages of arguing about united states credit cards

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

fishmech posted:

What? No, we introduced that like 6 years ago and then just as quickly stopped using it because it wasn't any faster or easier than magstripe and there were (and still are) security concerns. The readers are all still around but most banks don't bother to issue cards using it anymore.
There was tap to pay on cards? I use it on my phone all of the time, never knew you could do it with a card.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

CommunistPancake posted:

i love that yet another thread is going to turn into three pages of arguing about united states credit cards

Lets all just agree that America is a 3rd world country with a 1st world crust, like a pie of poo poo.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

fondue posted:

There was tap to pay on cards? I use it on my phone all of the time, never knew you could do it with a card.

Yea, it was branded as PayWave if you used a Visa card, something else on others. Most of the phone-based payments actually use the same terminal equipment at the cashier as the cards did.

If you really wanted to, you could probably ask your bank for the tap enabled card again, but the phone seems to be working fine for you.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

fishmech posted:

One of the American banks did a study on it and they were losing more money from Americans not being able to figure out the pin part then they would save from fraud prevention.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
There are a lot of reasons it took so long for the US to transition to chip cards. Firstly, fraud rates in the US were lower than in other countries and the US actually has very strong consumer protection laws when it comes to credit card fraud. It was only after other countries transitioned almost entirely to chips that US fraud rates started becoming an issue (since cards stolen internationally would be sold for use in the US). Secondly, there are a mind-boggling number of financial institutions in the US. There are literally thousands of banks and credit unions and other financial that issue credit and debit cards, there are four different credit networks and several payment processors. All of them had to coordinate the roll out of chip cards and the equipment to process them. On top of that there are the 100s of thousands of credit card terminals which needed to be upgraded at the retailer's expense (many of which were tightly integrated with their point-of-sale systems, further increasing the upgrade cost). The companies making the actual credit terminals also put off getting them certified to be used with chip cards until the last minute which is why so many readers with hardware to read chips have tape over the chip slot and signs saying "NO CHIP".

Infinitum posted:

fishmech posted:

Yea, it was branded as PayWave if you used a Visa card, something else on others. Most of the phone-based payments actually use the same terminal equipment at the cashier as the cards did.

If you really wanted to, you could probably ask your bank for the tap enabled card again, but the phone seems to be working fine for you.

Only a few banks issue tap-capable cards and you usually have to specially request them. This has actually ended up backfiring horribly for the banks since people hate how slow chip transactions are compared to swipe transactions whereas tap transactions take about the same time as swiping. If the banks had chosen to make all chip cards also support tap payment you'd probably see a lot less bitching about chip cards.

When they first tried rolling out tap payments about 10 years ago the cards pretty much just transmitted the same data that was on the magstripe which was obviously horribly insecure. Modern tap payments use the same encryption as the EMV chips do so they're far more secure and when you pay with a smartphone it can just generate a new card number for each transaction (on top of requiring your phone to be unlocked). Also, 10 years ago nobody had chip cards so there was no speed advantage for tapping compared to swiping (and swiping worked everywhere whereas tapping only worked in a few places; even now the fact that you can't use tap payments everywhere is a huge barrier to people using mobile phone payments).

ianmacdo posted:

One of the American banks did a study on it and they were losing more money from Americans not being able to figure out the pin part then they would save from fraud prevention.

This is actually a pretty legit reason. Americans who have at least 1 credit card on average have 4 credit cards, and many people have far more. I personally have 7 credit cards (each of which I have for a specific reason) and if I had to remember a PIN for each one I'd probably stop using all but one of them, which is a nightmare scenario for banks which rely on the transaction fees as a large part of the profits from their credit cards. One of my cards does require a PIN and while it was my least-used card before they changed it to chip-and-PIN I don't think I've used it since since I can't be bothered to look up what I set the PIN to in my password manager.

Mr.Radar has a new favorite as of 08:07 on Apr 21, 2017

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
You know you can change the PINs and have them all the same if you wanted.

Anyway; because sock suspenders weren't weird enough what about shirt suspenders; https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/nv-s-holder-will-keep-your-shirt-perfectly-tucked#/

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Legit cannot remember the last time I've had to swipe for a transaction here in Aus.
Paypass so gooooooood

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Anyway; because sock suspenders weren't weird enough what about shirt suspenders; https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/nv-s-holder-will-keep-your-shirt-perfectly-tucked#/

That is definitely something that exists for some reason

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Infinitum posted:

Legit cannot remember the last time I've had to swipe for a transaction here in Aus.
Paypass so gooooooood

Wait till you need to buy something that is over the swipe cap and you have to remember your PIN though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Same pin I've had for decades. :frogc00l:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rapulum_Dei posted:

And now if your PIN gets hacked or figured out multiple accounts are compromised!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

And if they steal your eye, ala Demolition Man rules, your biometrics are compromised as well!

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Paypass so gooooooood

I worked for years at a grocery store where my shirt had to stay tucked and I'd have to loved to have these instead of having to retuck my shirt every 10 minutes

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Mann posted:

every time someone complains about the U.S.A someone from there will always helpfully point out that it is quite large and that all other countries are homogeneous. its like clockwork

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

United States?

More liek

Divided States :smuggo:

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

WampaLord posted:

And now if your PIN gets hacked or figured out multiple accounts are compromised!

The pin for all my cards is 8787, all my accounts are now 'compromised' - knock yourself out.

My card was actually cloned once - in Florida using the magnetic strip I assume since it was a few years ago. But since the transactions were made in Florida when I was making withdrawals elsewhere the bank reversed them and that was the end of it. I can't even remember if they replaced the card, I'm not sure they did.

Rapulum_Dei has a new favorite as of 10:09 on Apr 21, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Veotax posted:

Chip and signature mostly, no?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Americans still don't have a legit cheap universal way to reliably transfer money to each other that isn't a lovely app iirc.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

unpacked robinhood posted:

Americans still don't have a legit cheap universal way to reliably transfer money to each other that isn't a lovely app iirc.

That and they still use actual checks in this millennium. I'm 40 and have used exactly one in my entire life.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

gschmidl posted:

That and they still use actual checks in this millennium.

To be fair French do too

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Rapulum_Dei posted:

:psyduck: "We have been developing it for more than 6 months" and they plan to charge $40 per pair.

Shirt stays have been around since the invention of the dress shirt. You can get them for <$10 on Amazon.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Edit: DRM PROTECTED VAGINAS. OH MY GOD I'M THE NEW STEVE JOBS

Actually, an IV bag of fruit juice sounds like something Steve Jobs would have liked.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If only it was an IV bag of something useful

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

Paypass so gooooooood

Shirt stays are awesome if you have a uniform that requires a crappy untailored shirt, or you can't afford to pay for the tailoring. Gotta maintain that nice tight tuck. :getin:

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
all americans love the hamburger, the pizza, the K.F.C, etc. but hate kale, broccoli and other foods friendly towards health. this is the one true objective fact

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

:psyduck: "We have been developing it for more than 6 months" and they plan to charge $40 per pair.

Shirt stays have been around since the invention of the dress shirt. You can get them for <$10 on Amazon.

2024% funded!

:psyboom:

Aaah, it's the EXPERIENCE that costs so much http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39664483

Rapulum_Dei has a new favorite as of 18:29 on Apr 21, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Sagacity posted:

Remember Plastc, the credit card that would store ALL your credit cards? Gone. Their blog post seems to imply they were almost ready to ship but nobody wanted to invest.

Perhaps the product was fairly useless now that everyone's moving to chips and NFC? Hmm...

Wait so they were funded but didn't have money to make any of the things to give to people?

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
lol they don't even mention refunds or anything. They're straight-up just taking off with the money.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Jerry Seinfeld posted:

lol they don't even mention refunds or anything. They're straight-up just taking off with the money.

Chapter 7 means there's no money to refund.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Wait so they were funded but didn't have money to make any of the things to give to people?

"R&D means Research & Done right? What else could the D possibly stand for?" said the people who squandered $9 million.

On a gaming note, Star Citizen, not satisfied with raising nearly $150 million in crowdfunded cash, is now asking its backers to spam referral codes all over the internet to win a free trip to GamesCom 2017! To earn this free trip, you only need to recruit 2,942 people using your referral code. That many recruits equates to "donating" $132,390 to Star Citizen.

Doggles has a new favorite as of 19:59 on Apr 21, 2017

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Infinitum posted:

If only it was an IV bag of something awful

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Doggles posted:

On a gaming note, Star Citizen, not satisfied with raising nearly $150 million in crowdfunded cash, is now asking its backers to spam referral codes all over the internet to win a free trip to GamesCom 2017! To earn this free trip, you only need to recruit 2,942 people using your referral code. That many recruits equates to "donating" $132,390 to Star Citizen.

I can't watch the video at work, but I'm really enjoying the guy in the thumbnail.

It's just such a look of defeat.