Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

AvesPKS posted:

.or we could just catalog the (finite) numbers of powers present and tailor a solution to each one

That's what each Sentinel, on its own, is capable of doing on the fly in real time. And you think a whole design process and seperate Sentinel variant for each possible mutant power is the less overwrought solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Honestly, once you've able to simulate/counter all those powers, in practical terms the mutant/human distinction is pretty moot because what you've got is the singularity :shrug:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

AvesPKS posted:

I never understood those mimic Sentinels. Wouldn't it be a whole lot cheaper to tailor each robot (or even 2) to just specifically counter one mutant's powers, instead of being able to counter all mutant's powers ?

Hey, who says the mimic type is even that expensive? Maybe it's the price of a rental fleet Yaris in dystopia 20xx.

Besides, building tons of one thing is probably more cost effective than several different things. And the T-1000 hellbots are extremely terrifying. That's worth its weight in gold.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

AvesPKS posted:

I never understood those mimic Sentinels. Wouldn't it be a whole lot cheaper to tailor each robot (or even 2) to just specifically counter one mutant's powers, instead of being able to counter all mutant's powers ? I mean, you could even make dummy bots whose sole purpose is to get destroyed to figure out what powers they need to counter and it would still be much cheaper.

I'm picturing a room full of disgruntled scientists and engineers:. "Look, we already have cold guns and flamethrowers and poo poo. Why can't I just strap those on 50 Sentinels? Only one has to get through". "Now now, we talked about this. Not til they can mimic any mutant's powers".

"Anti-Iceman Sentinel has located target, now moving to intercept."
"Hold on, is that Cyclops with him?"

TWATT!

"poo poo, where's the Anti-Cyclops Sentinel?"
"Having some trouble there, Colonel, it's encountered Colossus."

KЯONG!

"Let me guess, the Anti-Colossus Sentinel is...?"
"... engaged with Magneto, sir."

MESHUGGAH!

"Goddamnit, Trask, why are the X-Men fighting as a team as they were trained to do in every Danger Room story ever written? This negates our entire strategy!"
"Colonel, may I respectfully remind you that when you initiated Project Counter Specific Powers I explicitly warned that listening to some dumbass on an internet forum was not advisable."

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

They're shown to be pretty effective on-screen, I don't see what was hard to understand about that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

Honestly, once you've able to simulate/counter all those powers, in practical terms the mutant/human distinction is pretty moot because what you've got is the singularity :shrug:

That's the same conclusion the Sentinels came to.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

well why not posted:

They're shown to be pretty effective on-screen, I don't see what was hard to understand about that.

Again, I'm just saying someone must've already thought of just looking at their powers and making 50 of each to counter them, instead of their ultimate project which took decades to finish. And like half of them don't even make sense anyway. Colossus' guy was just like stronger and tougher. You can't exactly reverse every power, nor do you need to. Just overkill in my opinion.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

AvesPKS posted:

Again, I'm just saying someone must've already thought of just looking at their powers and making 50 of each to counter them, instead of their ultimate project which took decades to finish. And like half of them don't even make sense anyway. Colossus' guy was just like stronger and tougher. You can't exactly reverse every power, nor do you need to. Just overkill in my opinion.

It's really not supposed to be a rational or proportional response, which is why they've destroyed the whole world at the beginning of the film.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Where is the tactical realism in my mutating killbots?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

AvesPKS posted:

The point of using Mystique's DNA is that being able to change form is their power. That's why they can do fire form, ice form, whatever, but can't travel through time or teleport. It's not fifty built-in abilities, it's one ability being used in different ways.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
We are arguing about cheaper and tactical realism robots for a movie that showed us incredible mutant murdering robots in a dystopian future where a werewolf man goes back in time to help a telepath, shapeshifter and magnet man change history.

This is more fantastic than the movie itself

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Werewolverine man. Wolverines are not wolves.

They are like darker and edgier badgers.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Snowman_McK posted:

It's really not supposed to be a rational or proportional response, which is why they've destroyed the whole world at the beginning of the film.

Right, but they could've destroyed the world with regular ol' murder bots instead of fantastically complicated death bots.

Sir Kodiak posted:

The point of using Mystique's DNA is that being able to change form is their power. That's why they can do fire form, ice form, whatever, but can't travel through time or teleport. It's not fifty built-in abilities, it's one ability being used in different ways.

Right. They spent untold years and money developing a super special, highly advanced bot that...can figure out to use cold to fight heat powers (and vice versa). The one that fought Colossus should've at least turned into a giant magnet or something to make him rust, instead of just...being stronger and tougher than him.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'm certainly not going to claim that the Sentinels were some sort of tactically optimal mutant-fighting solution. But they movie was clear that they didn't build robots with a bunch of different powers that can be activated, but instead a single shape-shifting power derived from a shape-shifting mutant.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It's really hosed up because those robots obviously should have been based on Darwin's power, not Mystique's power.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Technically, they were driven by Jennifer Lawrence's high-wattage star power.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ferrinus posted:

It's really hosed up because those robots obviously should have been based on Darwin's power, not Mystique's power.

They killed the coolest guy off.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

RBA Starblade posted:

They killed the coolest guy off.

I hate them.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

AvesPKS posted:

Right, but they could've destroyed the world with regular ol' murder bots instead of fantastically complicated death bots.

Right. They spent untold years and money developing a super special, highly advanced bot that...can figure out to use cold to fight heat powers (and vice versa). The one that fought Colossus should've at least turned into a giant magnet or something to make him rust, instead of just...being stronger and tougher than him.

Since it was based of stolen Mystique DNA, that's how it would always work though. Not changing into a magnet is just a failure of imagination, not mutation (assuming they could do that).

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

AvesPKS posted:

They never meant to kill the world. Or, at least, there's nothing in the film to suggest that anyone anticipated the neon-apocalypse, they just meant to control/eliminate mutants.

AvesPKS posted:

Right. They spent untold years and money developing a super special, highly advanced bot that...can figure out literally any powered mutant that currently exists or might exist in the future.

Yes. I really don't get what your problem with them is. There's also nothing to suggest they actually figured out flame guns, or ice guns, or whatever. The design they've gone with suggests that they didn't have to. And that's the point. They don't have to figure anything else out, ever. It's the singularity.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Does anyone think the b&w "noir" version of this will be worth the re-watch? I think I'm going to give it another shot anyway to see if it hits me any differently than the first time. I'd kind of gotten my hopes up (down?) with the tone of the trailer with "Hurt" but I was honestly kind of disappointed that it didn't have a serious emotional punch I was kind of hoping for.

This may have just been me being jaded as hell and wanting this to be a solid punch in the gut, but I do find myself agreeing that Logan (in some ways) didn't come through even as well as Road to Perdition (which had plenty of its own issues, but still). I don't know if an alternate ending would be enough to steer the film where I was hoping it would go (emotionally - I don't know that I can effectively lay out/remember too many specifics that I would like to've gone differently).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I haven't seen the Noir cut, but Logan looked fantastic in color. So many great sunbleached golden hues. Most people think that the desert is an ugly place, but Logan was able to capture it's natural beauty.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Why does everyone in this movie need to have such bad attitude? Nobody can't keep this act for two plus hours, come on. It RARR I AM ANGST AND NOT LISTENING poo poo got so long in the tooth I was kinda glad when Logan stayed off the screen a bit.

That and unnecessary swearing aside, the movie was beautiful and alright. Patrick Stewart is a national treasure, and the girl was darn good too.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

pigdog posted:

Why does everyone in this movie need to have such bad attitude? Nobody can't keep this act for two plus hours, come on. It RARR I AM ANGST AND NOT LISTENING poo poo got so long in the tooth I was kinda glad when Logan stayed off the screen a bit.

That and unnecessary swearing aside, the movie was beautiful and alright. Patrick Stewart is a national treasure, and the girl was darn good too.

Xavier is acting different and swearing because of his dementia. It's an effect of the disease, made all the more powerful because of how sweet he used to be.

Logan is swearing because he's Logan.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Plus, he's also a very embittered man. He killed the people he was supposed to raise and protect and teach through no fault of his own, and the world is attempting to phase out the mutant gene so his entire life's work will end with that one last failure in Westchester. No more mutants to help, only another broken old man as his companion. He's lost faith in everything until Laura shows up. I'd be pissed and cursing up a storm, too.

There's no excuse for Logan, though. That's just how he is :v:

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
So when the reavers were chasing the kids, why were they worried about them crossing the border into Canada? I didnt get the impression that international borders mattered to those guys.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

So when the reavers were chasing the kids, why were they worried about them crossing the border into Canada? I didnt get the impression that international borders mattered to those guys.

It seems like it does. I presume if Canada is offering sanctuary they're not going to look kindly on a bunch of mercenaries murdering kids on their front law.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Vicissitude posted:

He killed the people he was supposed to raise and protect and teach through no fault of his own

Nah, everything that goes wrong for Charles is entirely his own fault. That's not the same thing as saying he intended to do something, but for someone as powerful as Charles is in-universe there's no way he didn't know about his own condition.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

From the bits of Logan driving the limo it appeared that the world was mostly at the status quo except apparently with even more corporate power. The kid was on the radio with someone discussing asylum, I don't think it's that much of a stretch that getting over the border where some activist group is waiting / filming / etc. and having a private mercenary army pursuing literal children across an international border while it's live-streamed worldwide would be bad news for a corporation, even in that semi-dystopian future.

From Gabriella's amazing documentary skills it's obvious that smart-phone film-cutting tech has advanced considerably so they could probably have a Sarah McLachlan song over some footage on youtube in a few minutes.

Finally saw the movie. It was great but not the tear-fest I thought it was going to be based on what I'd heard, but maybe because I was ready for it. Very human story, small-scale, it really rested the weight of the movie on Jackman and Stewart's performances and they didn't disappoint.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Nah, everything that goes wrong for Charles is entirely his own fault. That's not the same thing as saying he intended to do something, but for someone as powerful as Charles is in-universe there's no way he didn't know about his own condition.

On the other hand, there's no way anyone could have predicted something like that happening. It's not like there's been a rich medical history of telepaths with dementia. Maybe you could think of him projecting nonsense thoughts to the people around him, but a full and lethal paralysis? Although, now that I think of it, he did do something similar in X2. I suppose that could be considered foreshadowing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Nah, I reckon the problem with assessing your own mind, using your own mind wouldn't be solved just because they're a telepath. It's like arguing that smart people would be able to spot dementia.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Vicissitude posted:

[Charles] did do something similar in X2. I suppose that could be considered foreshadowing.

But Xavier was completely competent and benevolent when he did that in X2. I highly doubt he decided to suffocate a bunch of random museum goers because Pyro was a dick.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Snowman_McK posted:

Nah, I reckon the problem with assessing your own mind, using your own mind wouldn't be solved just because they're a telepath. It's like arguing that smart people would be able to spot dementia.

Meanwhile, the school had top of the line medical facilities and Charles invested a lot of resources into healing injuries and diseases in other (mutant) people as well as trying to fix the damage that crippled him. There is no way there wasn't a conversation between himself and Hank McCoy at some point about the damage that would happen as he got older if his control became erratic before his powers faded.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Meanwhile, the school had top of the line medical facilities and Charles invested a lot of resources into healing injuries and diseases in other (mutant) people as well as trying to fix the damage that crippled him. There is no way there wasn't a conversation between himself and Hank McCoy at some point about the damage that would happen as he got older if his control became erratic before his powers faded.

It's still plausible that he got caught off guard. There's "i'm having a bit of trouble remembering things (in my 70s)" Then there's "I've killed everyone near me that I care about."

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

geeves posted:

But Xavier was completely competent and benevolent when he did that in X2. I highly doubt he decided to suffocate a bunch of random museum goers because Pyro was a dick.

I think they mean the climax of the film,, which is predicated on 'if he concentrates on someone's mind hard enough, he can kill them'. Cerebro allowed him to do it to the whole planet when he was being manipulated by Strykers son, I don't doubt that unplugged he could take out a city block.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

If you wanna nitpick the mercenaries behavior then the most glaring bit is their absolute fearlessness in the face of death and dismemberment. Unless they were some kind of cult then the most realistic thing for them to do when they started dying in droves was to run away, the paycheck isn't worth dying for.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

This picture is great! But why would it need knees if it had tank tracks for feet? I wonder if it has a pulsing or puree mode for its murder baton swinging arms.

And the robot will shoot tear gas out its dick.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 1, 2017

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I thought the kid was loving great

90% of kids in movies are bad or at best not offensive, but this girl was a tiny murderous badass

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I think they mean the climax of the film,, which is predicated on 'if he concentrates on someone's mind hard enough, he can kill them'. Cerebro allowed him to do it to the whole planet when he was being manipulated by Strykers son, I don't doubt that unplugged he could take out a city block.

He pauses an entire museum and carries on a conversation in X2. It's not a huge stretch to think he could do some serious damage if he had a stroke or heart attack that caused his powers to go crazy. Even moreso if he was plugged into Cerebro when it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fartbox posted:

I thought the kid was loving great

90% of kids in movies are bad or at best not offensive, but this girl was a tiny murderous badass

Absolutely. A bad child actor can ruin a movie like this, but a good one can elevate it. And she was better than good.

• Locked thread