Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

We need Huell.

It would be funny for Walt to be in a scene somewhere that isn't important, just him at a coffee shop in the background or something. It's not that big of a city, wouldn't be ridiculous for them to cross paths in a minor way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

hiddenmovement posted:

Just include Walt as an easter egg. Saul's getting his car washed, he's talking on the phone, there's an out of focus white dude in an off putting pastel shirt running about in the background.

What are people talking about re: Walt and the car wash? What connection did he have to it before he bought it for a money laundering business?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wasn't he also part timing at a car wash in the beginning of the series because being a teacher pays crap?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Walt bought the car wash he used to work at.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I'm not sure I buy the whole thing about this show trying to stand on it's own. It feels more like they knew BB had no future without becoming stupid, so they just wanted to flesh out the universe with a prequel series instead, so I expect to see a lot more crossover of characters later on. You should already see the direction it's heading with the focus on Mike/Gus.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Walt was most definitely a teacher at this time in BCS. Gray Matter is implied to be about 20 years prior to the events of BB, and considering he was already educated, became a high school teacher shortly thereafter. Working at the car wash would make sense before Gray Matter than at any point after.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I checked, he's literally working at the car wash the first episode of Breaking Bad.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
How could anyone forget Bogdan and his eyebrows?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The entire reason they bought that car wash is because Walt had worked there before and it made more sense as a cover than the random Laser Tag Saul wanted them to buy.

I know goons are bad at watching tv, but c'mon people.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

When will Saul's long history with Lazer Base be revealed? :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The entire reason they bought that car wash is because Walt had worked there before and it made more sense as a cover than the random Laser Tag Saul wanted them to buy.

Why was Walt always hanging around with that blond lady and that kid with the crutches, what was their connection to him? :confused:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think that's part of the reason, but I reckon he was also seriously power tripping.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

cool new Polack jokes posted:

What are people talking about re: Walt and the car wash? What connection did he have to it before he bought it for a money laundering business?

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Walt was most definitely a teacher at this time in BCS. Gray Matter is implied to be about 20 years prior to the events of BB, and considering he was already educated, became a high school teacher shortly thereafter. Working at the car wash would make sense before Gray Matter than at any point after.

In season 1 of Breaking Bad, Walt works the car wash after school hours. There is even a scene in which he feels humiliated having to wash his own student's car. This desperate state of affairs demonstrates how tight the family's money is, and how much Walt has been forced to swallow his pride, two motivating factors that lead him to a life of crime. Walt quitting the car wash in a huff is a major plot point, as is lying to Skyler about continuing to work there. Later on, when Walt is talking with Saul about buying the car wash, Saul says "Wax on, wax off, was that you?". Saul then complains that the car wash always gives him too much air freshener, indicating that he has used this car wash several times.

It is therefore conceivable that, when he has a car worth washing, Jimmy/Saul may take that car to this car wash, leading to a chance encounter with Walt. However, this encounter would have to be utterly forgettable to both men, as they later do not recognize each other during the incident with Badger. Thus, it is uncertain whether the writers would consider such a scene worthwhile.

I hope this post clears up any confusion regarding Walt and Saul and car washes.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 21, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So the tracker was in the air freshener.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Jerusalem posted:

Why was Walt always hanging around with that blond lady and that kid with the crutches, what was their connection to him? :confused:

The kid was a drug mule, no one suspects a cripple. I don't remember any blonde lady? Are you sure you weren't watching Justified or maybe Weeds?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Akumos posted:

I'm not sure I buy the whole thing about this show trying to stand on it's own. It feels more like they knew BB had no future without becoming stupid, so they just wanted to flesh out the universe with a prequel series instead, so I expect to see a lot more crossover of characters later on. You should already see the direction it's heading with the focus on Mike/Gus.

I used to think this show was going to stand on its own. Like, they were an experienced and talented team, and they knew the best way to stay mostly together and funded was to do a spinoff, so they started a whole new show with a prequel with a few characters who weren't adequately explored in BB.

But now I'm seeing how they're treating the whole Gus Fring reintroduction. They clearly are really talented at filming and editing very stylish scenes, but also they clearly bought into the whole "oh holy poo poo this Breaking Bad character is back on TV" hype, and the show is bending around that. That saddens me a bit, because I used to see BCS as a show that you could watch without seeing BB first -- just a new show, with more developed talent behind it, that happened to contain links to an old good show that you could see if you wanted to. But the Gus Fring arc is clearly based on the assumption "you've seen BB before BCS, and when you catch a glimpse of Los Pollos Hermanos in BCS you're gonna be excited to see Gus Fring again". So now yeah, I'm on your side -- BCS only works as a continuation of BB. I'm a bit sad about that. It's still amazing, but I can't sell it as its own thing to my friends with a clear conscience.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Fromage posted:

We need Huell.

I can't remember, how did Mike know the nazi crew again?

It'd be hilariously terrible to have a run in with Jack and Todd at some point. Lydia is almost guaranteed to show up on Saul.

Grand Fromage posted:

We need Huell.

It would be funny for Walt to be in a scene somewhere that isn't important, just him at a coffee shop in the background or something. It's not that big of a city, wouldn't be ridiculous for them to cross paths in a minor way.

My other great disappointment is Saul very clearly did not know Badger in his first appearance, preventing Badger & Pete from showing up until we time jump into the future. And I mean that, Badger & Pete were always one of the most entertaining duos of Breaking Bad, to the very last episode.

ED: I will always get a kick out of them trolling Star Trek fans by purposely getting one detail about the origin of drat berries wrong. :bravo:

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 21, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ditocoaf posted:

But now I'm seeing how they're treating the whole Gus Fring reintroduction. They clearly are really talented at filming and editing very stylish scenes, but also they clearly bought into the whole "oh holy poo poo this Breaking Bad character is back on TV" hype, and the show is bending around that. That saddens me a bit, because I used to see BCS as a show that you could watch without seeing BB first -- just a new show, with more developed talent behind it, that happened to contain links to an old good show that you could see if you wanted to. But the Gus Fring arc is clearly based on the assumption "you've seen BB before BCS, and when you catch a glimpse of Los Pollos Hermanos in BCS you're gonna be excited to see Gus Fring again". So now yeah, I'm on your side -- BCS only works as a continuation of BB. I'm a bit sad about that. It's still amazing, but I can't sell it as its own thing to my friends with a clear conscience.

I entirely disagree; Mike's setting up the war with the Cartel and then meeting up with Fring matches the timeline perfectly, because "every few years ago, there's a conflict" means that we're likely to see the first Gus/Mike vs Cartel showdown that was explicitly referenced repeatedly in the parent show. That said I am convinced that something is almost definitely going to happen to Hector during this that puts him in that wheelchair.

As for not selling your friends a clear conscience, think about something for a moment: If I bulk-erased Breaking Bad from your mind and you watched this episode, would Fring have put you off? If anything, them hiding Fring's involvement felt the OTHER direction for me, where it was frustrating knowing the answer to the question well in advance of the characters, but I think so far you could watch all of Saul -> Breaking Bad and quite enjoy yourself once Saul's done.

It's less "Hey, hypetrain, we have a great BB character back!!! Wooo!" to me and more "This is literally the timeframe these characters have always met, so they were going to have to meet." Again I think if your friends are watching the show with no knowledge of BB, a lot of things like Mike trying to track his aggressors becomes far better, because you won't know well in advance what he's doing/watching him go through the motions.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 21, 2017

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

y'all know the only reason they're still making this show is because of BB right? Like the suits sat down with the production staff and said they were gunning to recapture some portion of that lightning in a bottle and that would require a little more tie-in than a hot dog stand address.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

theflyingexecutive posted:

y'all know the only reason they're still making this show is because of BB right? Like the suits sat down with the production staff and said they were gunning to recapture some portion of that lightning in a bottle and that would require a little more tie-in than a hot dog stand address.

I agree with this, and also think that earlier goon was maybe projecting a bit when they were saying that stuff about Gus' big reveal. I don't actually think that there was much of a big reveal at all fir anyone not already aware of what's going on. Hell, the Tuco cameo at the end of S1E1 had more of a blatant wink to the audience than the slow pan over the restaurant logo, or Gus' silhouette.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Everybody's been saying ratings are "way down" but I haven't heard any numbers, or anything official? Where are people getting their doomsaying from.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I agree with this, and also think that earlier goon was maybe projecting a bit when they were saying that stuff about Gus' big reveal. I don't actually think that there was much of a big reveal at all fir anyone not already aware of what's going on. Hell, the Tuco cameo at the end of S1E1 had more of a blatant wink to the audience than the slow pan over the restaurant logo, or Gus' silhouette.

The slow pan out to the Los Pollos Hermanos sign during episode 2 just now struck me as a clear "hey, Gus is back, you know who Gus is right, isn't this gonna be great" moment to me. Same with the way they had him out of focus in the restaurant, then later suddenly the focus, doing nothing that remarkable unless you already know he's secretly a drug kingpin.

And listening to the podcast for this episode has reinforced my belief that the writing and directing and editing staff are way too psyched about this character for the good of the show. I literally have no other complaints other than this, and Better Call Saul is still my favorite show, period. But this where I see the biggest failing in my favorite show.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 21, 2017

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

I can't remember, how did Mike know the nazi crew again?

He didn't. Walt got involved with them through Todd. Todd was only with them because he was part of the exterminator crew that would scout houses for them to cook.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

He didn't. Walt got involved with them through Todd. Todd was only with them because he was part of the exterminator crew that would scout houses for them to cook.

It's pointless, but I'd love to read a written-by-the-writers news article all about the aftermath of everything. Like how the cops showed up to the compound, found the crew dead, along with Walter 'Heisenberg' White, and just their summary of the events so far and what police are thinking now, if they see evidence of someone escaping, etc.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Ditocoaf posted:

The slow pan out to the Los Pollos Hermanos sign during episode 2 just now struck me as a clear "hey, Gus is back, you know who Gus is right, isn't this gonna be great" moment to me. Same with the way they had him out of focus in the restaurant, then later suddenly the focus, doing nothing that remarkable unless you already know he's secretly a drug kingpin.

And listening to the podcast for this episode has reinforced my belief that the writing and directing and editing staff are way too psyched about this character for the good of the show. I literally have no other complaints other than this, and Better Call Saul is still my favorite show, period. But this where I see the biggest failing in my favorite show.

You don't know what gus is going to be doing for the rest of the season? Maybe they have good reason to be so psyched up? What a stupid thing to get upset about

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Blazing Ownager posted:

My other great disappointment is Saul very clearly did not know Badger in his first appearance, preventing Badger & Pete from showing up until we time jump into the future. And I mean that, Badger & Pete were always one of the most entertaining duos of Breaking Bad, to the very last episode.

ED: I will always get a kick out of them trolling Star Trek fans by purposely getting one detail about the origin of drat berries wrong. :bravo:

There wasn't any trolling, it was to Star trek nerds talking to each other.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I kind of agree that the slow pan out to the Pollos sign was going for an effect that would be lost on someone who hadn't seen Breaking Bad.

But would Suspiciously Helpful Fastfood Manager be noticeably different in effect from say Alpine Sheppard Boy Woman, Sex Toilet Guy or PLAYUH to an uninformed BCS viewer?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Jimmy: Chuck I cannot believe you would do that. I am officially changing my name to Saul Goodman. I have....broken bad

*winks at camera*

sout
Apr 24, 2014

drunken officeparty posted:

Jimmy: Chuck I cannot believe you would do that. I am officially changing my name to Saul Goodman. I have....broken bad

*winks at camera*

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Everybody's been saying ratings are "way down" but I haven't heard any numbers, or anything official? Where are people getting their doomsaying from.

The premiere had fewer viewers than any episode from a previous season, and the most recent episode had only 76% the viewers of any episode before the premiere.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 21, 2017

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Sinteres posted:

The premiere had lower ratings than any episode from a previous season, and the most recent episode had only 76% the ratings of any episode before the premiere.

Good, let's finish this season, Gilligan will get a half forth season to wrap up and we're done. Do it Leftovers style. Perfection.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
AMC's not going to do anything as stupid as cancelling this show without a conclusion -- it'll get a complete fourth season at absolute worse, though with the way the opening credits are devolving, I think they're anticipating this show getting at least a (presumably entirely black and white) fifth season.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I think the direction, writing and the performances of the actors do an extremely good job of setting up who these characters are to someone who has never seen Breaking Bad. The difference is that they will perceive them as more mysterious than we do because they haven't been given the context that we have, but they still do enough to establish their role within these particular stories.

Gus for instance is very obviously the guy who has been tracking Mike (and therefore is somehow connected to the people Mike was chasing), hes clearly using the fast food restaurant that he manages as a front and while he is outwardly a friendly and soft spoken person, hes clearly got that dark side to him. Even the shot where Tuco is revealed in the first episode will still establishes that those skateboarding guys had hosed up big time. I don't remember the edit where it was introduced as well, but I have a feeling that the restaurant logo works both as a nod to the audience as well as an establishing shot. As a new viewer you aren't going to be confused by any of this, but you won't see the writers winking at you.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Sinteres posted:

The premiere had fewer viewers than any episode from a previous season, and the most recent episode had only 76% the viewers of any episode before the premiere.

If I'm right in assuming the y-axis is millions of viewers then these numbers aren't too far off Breaking Bad's, explosive growth in season 5B aside. Even season 5A never cracked above 3 million, and in season 4 no episode aside from the premiere hit above 2 million.

Maybe times are different now and AMC is expecting bigger numbers (if anything, they should probably be expecting the internet to cut into their numbers a lot more) but this seems to be pretty par for the course except for The Zombie Show.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Interesting that half of the viewers went "gently caress this" at Season 1 Episode 1.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

If I'm right in assuming the y-axis is millions of viewers then these numbers aren't too far off Breaking Bad's, explosive growth in season 5B aside. Even season 5A never cracked above 3 million, and in season 4 no episode aside from the premiere hit above 2 million.

Maybe times are different now and AMC is expecting bigger numbers (if anything, they should probably be expecting the internet to cut into their numbers a lot more) but this seems to be pretty par for the course except for The Zombie Show.

It's not that they're terrible ratings, just that they're heading in the wrong direction, and that the decline was pretty steep so far this season. If they were thinking about turning this into a 6 or 7 year show, I hope this can persuade them to reconsider.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Sinteres posted:

It's not that they're terrible ratings, just that they're heading in the wrong direction, and that the decline was pretty steep so far this season. If they were thinking about turning this into a 6 or 7 year show, I hope this can persuade them to reconsider.

Well, this is just me saying it, and I'm nothing more than some random rear end in a top hat on an internet message board, but...I love the show and I love what they've done with it so far, but I really don't think it's a six- or seven-season premise. That is, given what we have up to this point. Sure, there's always that desire to get as much as possible of something you like. On the other hand, I think they could bring it on home pretty effectively in four seasons altogether and have a little glistening gem of wonderfulness.

I mean, I liked the early seasons of "The Office," but I think I would remember it more fondly if they had called it quits as soon as Jim and Pam got together.

That said, I'm sticking with BCS for as long as it lasts, however long that may be.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I don't think there's many predictions we can make about how long the show's gonna last when we're only getting a tiny taste of the stuff they're setting up for this season. I think by the end of this season we'll have a better idea about the larger direction of the show, especially since we're starting to see more and more familiar faces.

It might take 8 more episodes until Jimmy calls Francesca "sugar-tits" or it might be 2 more seasons.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

RE: all the talk about the Gus reveal, and the pan out to the Pollos sign.

I think if you haven't watched BB, you view it a little differently. Mike is on this big stakeout, he's following the tracker, etc, where is he going? A Chicken place?! WTF? This is weird, maybe the guy just needs breakfast.
Nobody took the bag, Mike, you're crazy. Nobody was there except some kind old guy sweeping up the floor...oh what's this? A fancy truck pulls in back?! The plot thickens!

I think if your only experience is with BCS, you still have a vested interest in what Mike is up to, right? And so you're interested in why this ended up at a chicken place, etc.

So for a viewer that has seen BB, you're like OOOH poo poo it's Pollos! Here we go!
But for a new user, you're like why the gently caress are they at a chicken place?!

It has a similar but opposite effect. Also, I think bringing in people like Gus, etc, it will later hook people to watch BB.

So people that watched BB are like "oh cool, more of Saul, Mike, Gus whoever, how did we get to where we are in BB?
But for people who didn't, when BCS is over, they are going to be like "what happens to Saul, Mike, Gus, etc, after?! And so they go buy BB DVDs...
So, it works both ways (from a business and story perspective)

I don't mind if the timeline parallels with some of BB, since it would (presumably) be focused on what Saul and Mike and Gus and everyone else was doing off camera during BB. Which (I think) would be interesting if done right.

Sorry for all the incessant rambling, that's just the way I see it. I'm enjoying the hell out of it though.
The tilt-shift scene with the bridge/drainage was amazing. I rewound it and watched it a few times it was so good.

Also, am I correct that I remember Mike being the guy who was responsible for picking up all of Gus's dead drops? So it was interesting to see him following around the guy who was doing it before...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
This thread: *guy walks into an art museum* I really like what Turner's done with this one but let me list all the ways he could have made it better

• Locked thread