Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What lucas does and say is canon for he is the god of star wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I really liked Rogue One until the Internet explained to me why I'm supposed to hate it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If you don't like the big space battle at the end of Return of the Jedi I'm not sure you are capable of actually liking movies at all.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Rogue One was very soulless though... No interesting characters or plot really. It looked really good though. The city exploding was cool in the cinema

But like the rest of the movie? A solid, resounding *fart noise*

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The only thing I remember really not liking about Rogue One in the theatre was that they for some insane reason decided to not use the classic John Williams score for most of it, and instead you got these constant awful almost-referencing-the-classic-star-wars-leitmotifs-but-not-quite soundtrack moments that kept bringing down the mood because it keep being really noticeable that it wasn't a John Williams score.

I genuinely think people would have liked this movie way more and it would have bumped it up a few Rotten Tomatoes points if it had a John Williams score.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 21, 2017

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I love the George Lucas salad reviews

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They needed to go full Williams or go off reservation and not try to out do him. That said I can't for the life of me remember TFAs soundtrack but I do remember how awkward R1 is.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

oohhboy posted:

They needed to go full Williams or go off reservation and not try to out do him. That said I can't for the life of me remember TFAs soundtrack but I do remember how awkward R1 is.

TFA's soundtrack used the classic leitmotifs in the right parts so you didn't notice them missing, and was inoffensive elsewhere.
They got that much right.

TFA would have been like 50% better if they'd just found a way to cut the Death Star III plot entirely though, christ.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

If you don't like the big space battle at the end of Return of the Jedi I'm not sure you are capable of actually liking movies at all.

Similarly, there's like an hour of awesome poo poo at the end of Rogue One including one of the fish dudes shoving a star destroyer into another star destroyer into a planetary shield.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Entropic posted:

TFA's soundtrack used the classic leitmotifs in the right parts so you didn't notice them missing, and was inoffensive elsewhere.
They got that much right.

TFA would have been like 50% better if they'd just found a way to cut the Death Star III plot entirely though, christ.

That is pretty bad in my book. I should remember the soundtrack no notice them not missing. A significant chunk of Star Wars or any movie is the sound track. Going by what you said Williams basically coasted on a C grade.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I always like when captains of big ships make the decision to ram another ship suicidally, basically condemning all the souls aboard his vessel to certain death and they get no say in it

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

reignofevil posted:

Rich Evans told me I was gonna die of AIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJP8J84vzTA

Thanks super sweet best pal!

Looks really loving stupid to me.

Also I am not interested in comic books because I don't live in 1947.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

I always like when captains of big ships make the decision to ram another ship suicidally, basically condemning all the souls aboard his vessel to certain death and they get no say in it

Yeah it owns

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It gives me the most raging boner

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The captain essentially owns all of them so he is free to do with them as he will.

If they don't like it they should just climb the ladder over years of toil and/or rear end kissing.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

gnarlyhotep posted:

Looks really loving stupid to me.

Also I am not interested in comic books because I don't live in 1947.

Sir, are you lost? That post you just quoted is from September.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm really glad he did it tho because it teaches me that I can always work harder to make that opening post a fresher and more inviting place for our newer readers!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Rogue One soundtrack has exactly two good tunes in it, Krennic's theme and the new Imperial leitmotif. The rest of it is bland, or downright awful. The scene where they ram the star destroyers is all but ruined when that awful awful title music plays over the scene instead of something awesome like the ramping tension of the music when the super star destroyer crashes into the death star.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Zzulu posted:

But it wasn't the capital ship. He ordered a Hammerhead Corvette to ram the disabled star destroyer, and it's pretty much designed for exactly that.

Many ships in pirate times were also designed with a ram, based on the designs of Athenian war ships.

In WWII ramming the most effective and often used means of destroying U-boats and nazi ships that were extremely sluggish in turning versus the American and British vessels that had quick turning and ramming capabilities.

From Ancient Greece to the galaxy far far away, ramming is actually a tremendously effective tool in a ship's arsenal.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
shut up nerd

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Zzulu posted:

shut up nerd

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Is that Collider video that someone did a mashup with nerd Crew a real thing? Or is that making fun of nerd culture too? Because jesus christ, how embarrassing if it's real. lol

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

re: ramming

It;s highly effective, especially in a star war, where ships do sink out of a plane they occupy in space once they're disabled. Then all the sailors crewmen drown or swim to safety.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Pierogi posted:

It;s highly effective, especially in a star war, where ships do sink out of a plane they occupy in space once they're disabled. Then all the sailors crewmen drown or swim to safety.

The ships only appear to sink due to the last remnants of their artificial gravity dispersing and
:goonsay:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Pierogi posted:

You are correct. The Star Destroyers crashing into each other and shearing apart as they exploded against the shield and came crashing down on the planet in a ball of fire was super ineffective. Both ruined ships were good and the shield base was fine. Everything was fine.

Hull breaches in space are also very good and any crewman would be happy to see one appear in his ship.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

oohhboy posted:

That is pretty bad in my book. I should remember the soundtrack no notice them not missing. A significant chunk of Star Wars or any movie is the sound track. Going by what you said Williams basically coasted on a C grade.

TFA's soundtrack was like a C+. It mostly coasted on "hey, it's that star wars music I remember", but there were a few good new bits like Rey's theme.

Rogue one didn't even have that, and it's actively distracting when you keep expecting to hear Star Wars melodies but get something just close enough to remind you it isn't the real thing.

I bet the Han Solo movie is gonna have a lame soundtrack too.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Entropic posted:

I bet the Han Solo movie is gonna have a lame soundtrack too.

I can guarantee there'll at least be one hit jam on there though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_xJqkzngBI

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Young han solo loved papa roach

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Pierogi posted:

Maybe the next Star Wars standalone flick will be "Das Boot but in space" where the captain of a Star Destroyer muses on the pressures of command and the futility of war. And also how to avoid being choked to death over a video screen by a disgruntled Vader

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

WampaLord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_xJqkzngBI

If the soundtrack doesn't have at least one track of dong lover rapping in character as Lando I'm gonna be might disappointed.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

WampaLord posted:

This is how he won the Millennium Falcon in the first place

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm her to rap and I'm Han Solo dammit I was born in space I'm not from a planet, now if you ladies are fans of sex I can promise that I'll get you off in 14 parsecs

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What's weird about Han's and Chewie's companionship is that Han had an affair with the Wookie's wife. This is not even in Legends, it's one of those things Disney chose to keep as canon.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 21, 2017

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Paladinus posted:

What's weird about Han's and Chewie's companionship is that Han had an afair with the Wookie's wife. This is not even in Legends, it's one of those things Disney chose to keep as canon.

That's rich's fiance you prick.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hey Chewie had a wife debt.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Well she was a WILF..

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

From the planet Ka:shlick:

canned from the band
Sep 13, 2007

I'm a man of intensity. Of cool, and youth, and passionately

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

But it wasn't the capital ship. He ordered a Hammerhead Corvette to ram the disabled star destroyer, and it's pretty much designed for exactly that.

Many ships in pirate times were also designed with a ram, based on the designs of Athenian war ships.

In WWII ramming the most effective and often used means of destroying U-boats and nazi ships that were extremely sluggish in turning versus the American and British vessels that had quick turning and ramming capabilities.

From Ancient Greece to the galaxy far far away, ramming is actually a tremendously effective tool in a ship's arsenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTAx8r_090o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

That's Adam Scott isn't it.

I thought it was weird that the rebel ship in RO could do that, after we had just seen other rebel ships break up against star destroyers like so many dingies against rocks. That a rebel ship could push one destroyer into another and then into the barrier gate felt to me like me being able to push a truck in neutral into another truck that's not in neutral and then push them both through the front of a building.

But if that ship was build to do that or whatever, that's cool. It was fun to watch.

• Locked thread