Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Grand Fromage posted:

Fred has the protomolecule by the end of book 1 I believe. I think they grab the sample on the science station raid.

No, instead of trying to destroy the sample he left on the asteroid, Holden trades it to Fred in return for supporting his play to divert the UN missiles away from Eros. Which turns into win x3 for Fred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ATP_Power posted:

Thanks for capping all these clips Platystemon.

Is there one that includes Bobby's face when Avasarela tells the captain to cut the bullshit?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Taintrunner posted:

I watched the finale with Holden and Plant Guy in NYC. They're really cool guys in person! Absolutely killer finale, and I made Stephen promise me there's more Drummer coming in Season 3.

A facebook acquaintance did this with Sa'id, Diogo and Drummer

I told him to say that Drummer is a bad rear end and DIOGO CRUSH rear end TO DUST.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MA-Horus posted:

A facebook acquaintance did this with Sa'id, Diogo and Drummer

I told him to say that Drummer is a bad rear end and DIOGO CRUSH rear end TO DUST.

drat! Lucky Facebook friend.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006
Wow, cool episode.

MiddleOne posted:

That last shot of the crew over Venus was extremely anime.

Yeah... from a non-book reader, this whole protomolecule thing is starting to get weird. It went from:

1. Alien flu bug found on a frozen rock (okay, pretty good. I like it, even.)

2. Alien flu bug used as chem/bio weapon, able to mix with human DNA and break laws of physics - the grav drive moving Eros. (okay I guess, the Julie/Miller send off episode was one of the best)

3. Alien flu bug appropriated as genetic engineering weapon (okay, follows kinda maybe).

and now-

4. Alien GOD particle on Venus. The gravity drive of Eros was one thing, but now we're disassembling ships with some kind of effortless force? ...eh..

Anyhow -

I hope we get more of Fred's Officer cute McWeirdAccent next season. Her headshotting two rebel belters was pretty awesome. And our Martian marine is starting to get very likeable too. Good stuff.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Here's a cool take:

Maybe the Protomolecule isn't an Alien Flu and the show did a disservice to not explain it like it did in the book. Its a highly advanced terraforming and colonization tool. Not a virus. The alien civilization used Phoebe, a celestial object, as a colony ship.

Also lol you're not gonna like season 3

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Phi230 posted:

Here's a cool take:

Maybe the Protomolecule isn't an Alien Flu and the show did a disservice to not explain it like it did in the book. Its a highly advanced terraforming and colonization tool. Not a virus. The alien civilization used Phoebe, a celestial object, as a colony ship.

Also lol you're not gonna like season 3

To flesh this out in show references, Julie told Miller she had to go to Earth so "the work" could continue. She accepted Venus as an alternative, so one can presume that the work is preceding there, if much more slowly because it can't hijack Earth's biosphere and has to rely on what it started with to reprocess the nonbiological materials on Venus instead. It's building glowing towers there. Those towers presumably are meant to do something or serve as an intermediate step to a final product.

The protomolecule is an adaptive biological nanomachine that reprograms any biological material it finds to build towards more complex forms that can start manufacturing nonorganic machines. We saw a very small scale version of this on Eros, but it was designed to be launched into the primitive biosphere of Earth a billion years ago and just accidentally got snagged by Saturn's gravity. Protogen found this super complex tool they don't understand that can change biological things at a fundamental level and are hoping they can learn from it how to change biological things at a fundamental level for their own purposes and override its original programming.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 21, 2017

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Number Ten Cocks posted:

To flesh this out in show references, Julie told Miller she had to go to Earth so "the work" could continue. She accepted Venus as an alternative, so one can presume that the work is preceding there, if much more slowly because it can't hijack Earth's biosphere and has to rely on what it started with to reprocess the nonbiological materials on Venus instead. It's building glowing towers there. Those towers presumably are meant to do something or serve as an intermediate step to a final product.

The protomolecule is an adaptive biological nanomachine that reprograms any biological material it finds to build towards more complex forms that can start manufacturing nonorganic machines. We saw a very small scale version of this on Eros, but it was designed to be launched into the primitive biosphere of Earth a billion years ago and just accidentally got snagged by Saturn's gravity. Protogen found this super complex tool they don't understand that can change biological things at a fundamental level and are hoping they can learn from it how to change biological things at a fundamental level for their own purposes and override its original programming.

I can dig it, the only non-logical thing is why would aliens put their terraforming payload on - apparently- a rock? I would think it would go on a more sophisticated probe type thing to send it to other systems, with a propulsion system.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

gfarrell80 posted:

I can dig it, the only non-logical thing is why would aliens put their terraforming payload on - apparently- a rock? I would think it would go on a more sophisticated probe type thing to send it to other systems, with a propulsion system.

Rocks are easy, probes are hard. Especially if, as it seems is the case, the protomolecule has agency of its own, and even more especially if you spray a bunch all over the cosmos.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Quorum posted:

Rocks are easy, probes are hard. Especially if, as it seems is the case, the protomolecule has agency of its own, and even more especially if you spray a bunch all over the cosmos.

Yeah, if we had this technology it seems like with recent planet finding we could shoot a rocks at, say, a thousand or so prospects and expect a high success rate. Since you're waiting centuries(?) for them to hit you're in no hurry, just play the numbers game.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Yeah, if we had this technology it seems like with recent planet finding we could shoot a rocks at, say, a thousand or so prospects and expect a high success rate. Since you're waiting centuries(?) for them to hit you're in no hurry, just play the numbers game.

Not necessarily centuries, the protomolecule on eros accelerated at 20g+ constantly. That can get pretty fast pretty quick

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I do find it kind of funny that the PM can fling Eros around on a whim, but Saturn's gravity kept it form finishing it's job. I mean, I guess it was dormant for the trip, but it's the equivalent of tripping on your shoelaces a foot from the finish line in a marathon.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Eros was full of protomolecule, but there was only a little (relatively) in the initial rock.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think that Eros developed some of its magical powers through the processes the protomolecule created by fusing all of the biomass together, I am not sure it's right to assume Phoebe had the ability to break physics in quite the same way.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I know, it's just funny. The chances of this thing getting caught in orbit around something or smashing into something else with nothing usable to work with is much higher than it hitting something that it can start reworking. So, you would think that even the tiny bit they launched would have some agency to go somewhere useful.

It's not a major flaw in the story, I'm just imagining some aliens sitting around face-palming over the Saturn capture.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I know, it's just funny. The chances of this thing getting caught in orbit around something or smashing into something else with nothing usable to work with is much higher than it hitting something that it can start reworking. So, you would think that even the tiny bit they launched would have some agency to go somewhere useful.

It's not a major flaw in the story, I'm just imagining some aliens sitting around face-palming over the Saturn capture.

It's not really a flaw in the story, assuming you have the ability to fling a big space rock on a very accurate trajectory what would largely determine your ability to hit a target is the resolution of your scanning tools, given that space is very big and empty as long as you can map all the large planetary bodies you could drop an asteroid from thousands of light years away with a high degree of accuracy.

Phoebe getting hit by a smaller unmapped body and being shifted towards saturn makes sense to me.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think that Eros developed some of its magical powers through the processes the protomolecule created by fusing all of the biomass together, I am not sure it's right to assume Phoebe had the ability to break physics in quite the same way.

That's what I'm saying... if you were a super-advanced civilization designing a probe with protomolecule to colonize elsewhere, and you know radiation is its food source; I would think on the probe you'd want some kind of canned radiactive material or dormant reactor to kick-start it, with maybe a solid helping of organic molecules to get'r going. Plus a propulsion source. Without some kind of propulsion, if you're relying on the payload just floating through the void until it finds something, you're going to be waiting a REALLY long time, even if you accelerate it really fast from its start point (although then you need a means to decelerate it too, or it will just zip through systems). If the civ has the kind of wiz-bang tech we got a hint at on Venus; I would think they'd go ahead and use a propulsion device of some kind rather than just send a rock into the void with some scrapings on it's surface.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

speaking of breaking physics that scene towards the end where they were piloting that glider thing towards the eros crater and it just split into all of its pieces was wicked

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The Martian frigate looked awesome, any screencaps?

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Platystemon posted:

I don’t think anyone has complained about my gfy dumps, but I was thinking about using still images with links to the gfys next season. It would be more work, but let me know if that would be appreciated and I’ll try to remember to do it.

I think if there are fewer than six or seven 560p24 embeds per page, most devices that can hardware‐decode one 1080p60 stream can handle that, so that’s also an option.

Of course, by then everyone will be using technology that’s an average of nine months newer.

I vote for keeping the gfys in the thread. Also they're awesome, good work.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is there one that includes Bobby's face when Avasarela tells the captain to cut the bullshit?

I cut that because it makes the clip run way longer than Gfycat’s 15 s limit and you can’t see her face well at quartered resolution anyway.

Here it is in all its glory:

https://zippy.gfycat.com/SandyFickleDove.mp4

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 21, 2017

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Toast Museum posted:

Smaller MCRN ships like the Roci can definitely manage Earth takeoff and landing. With how powerful Epstein drives are, I don't think the extra atmospheric drag at Venus would be a problem, but the temperature, pressure, and corrosivity at surface level seem like probably a dealbreaker, so yeah, I don't know what those Martians were doing.

With how the MCRN ship plummeted past with it's thrusters flat out off I figured it had already been taken over by the protomolecule to dissect first.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Strategic Tea posted:

With how the MCRN ship plummeted past with it's thrusters flat out off I figured it had already been taken over by the protomolecule to dissect first.

For being a non-book thing, that ship was just generally a weird dud of a superfluous plot thread.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Strategic Tea posted:

I assume the MCRN ship got dismantled, but I don't think the Protomolecule was pulling it in at that point. We see it finishing a braking burn right before it passes the Arboghast. The Arboghast has already deployed its aerobraking system, so it's got a bunch more drag than the MCRN ship.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

General Battuta posted:

The Martian frigate looked awesome, any screencaps?

It really made me think of one of the Vaygr corvette designs from Homeworld 2, but I've got no idea if my recollection is accurate.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
There's an answer for why it doesn't matter if the PM hit Phoebe or Earth and that should become apparent when its purpose does as well.

Edit: vvv ya my bad. Still doesn't matter though.

acumen fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 22, 2017

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

acumen posted:

There's an answer for why it doesn't matter if the PM hit Phoebe or Earth

The Protomolecule didn't hit Phoebe. It was sent into the solar system on Phoebe, and an unexpected capture by Saturn saved young Earth's rear end.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

acumen posted:

There's an answer for why it doesn't matter if the PM hit Phoebe or Earth and that should become apparent when its purpose does as well.

Edit: vvv ya my bad. Still doesn't matter though.

It couldn't fulfill its purpose without access to biomass though.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Number Ten Cocks posted:

It couldn't fulfill its purpose without access to biomass though.

PM/book 3 stuff What it turns into operates in space and would be inaccessible to those without interstellar travel. Any lifeform that was technologically advanced enough to leave their planet (and thus use the PM's design) would be finding the PM eventually regardless of where it is in the solar system due to exploration.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

VagueRant posted:

The Arboghast scene while beautiful was probably a bit too vague and strange for show-only viewers, could've done with people reacting to it to really sell it?

This 100%. I was happy to see that they made it happen like they did, but it didn't work as well visually as it did in the book.

VagueRant posted:

But man, the Bobbie stuff is kind of a constant disappointment. Felt like they really undersold her power armour. Her slowly throwing dudes seemed like something the show was already having Frankie Adams do without power armour? Wanted it to be almost cartoonish, with dudes getting effortlessly getting smashed through the goddamn ceiling. In the books didn't she literally rip through the ship from the outside? I know it's down to budget, like the tragically lost Ganymede scene. But the writing suffers a little too, there's an interesting tension to setting up her "formal wear" in advance, versus just dropping it out of nowhere right when she needs to get to it. The whole scenario just worked better in the books for me, down to an incredibly compliant captain.

I really like Bobbie, but yeah, they're doing her role a tragic disservice. The final fight scene with her was a huge disappointment. It even looked goofy as gently caress when she threw the last guy to the ground, like they didn't get the effect quite right.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Platystemon posted:

I cut that because it makes the clip run way longer than Gfycat’s 15 s limit and you can’t see her face well at quartered resolution anyway.

Here it is in all its glory:

https://zippy.gfycat.com/SandyFickleDove.mp4

Bobbie is the cutest badass super soldier.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Don't let that guy who was projecting about "broke brained murder waifus" super hard hear you say that, it'll just get him started again.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If Bobbie scarfing down sandwiches didn't win people over, then I'm not sure what will.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Scarfing down sandwiches is very relatable

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

acumen posted:

PM/book 3 stuff What it turns into operates in space and would be inaccessible to those without interstellar travel. Any lifeform that was technologically advanced enough to leave their planet (and thus use the PM's design) would be finding the PM eventually regardless of where it is in the solar system due to exploration.

One of us has a very mistaken impression of what's going on. As I understand it, the gates are for the aliens to use, not us. They weren't sending a gate-builder here so somebody could go say hi someday. They sent it to use Earth life as raw material for the gate so that they could come to our system for whatever reason.

Edit: typo

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 22, 2017

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Bobbie is cool and good

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Toast Museum posted:

One of us has a very mistaken impression of what's going on. As I understand it, the gates are for the aliens to use, not us. They weren't sending a gate-builder here so somebody could go say someday. They sent it to use Earth life as raw material for the gate so that they could come to our system for whatever reason.

You may be thinking Mass Effect :v: It doesn't really say what the intention was either way.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

acumen posted:

You may be thinking Mass Effect :v: It doesn't really say what the intention was either way.

It is heavily implied but I think these spoilers are really a bit too much for this thread, even tagged.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It is heavily implied but I think these spoilers are really a bit too much for this thread, even tagged.

You're probably right. Anyway, I think some of this was covered in Cibola Burn iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If Bobbie scarfing down sandwiches didn't win people over, then I'm not sure what will.

She could throw me into a locker or something, to make it look believable.

• Locked thread