Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't know if this works outside of the UK, but Gundam Info started uploading Zeta in 720p earlier this month: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJV1h9xQ7Hx8BmOF6F1QBoQ--CVxo4WGF

They seem to be doing 5 episodes a week.

it works for me in na

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

it works for me in na

Awesome.

Sadly, they seem to be using the dub OP instead of Toki wo Koete. :( But still, everyone can watch Zeta for free, which is pretty nice.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

it works for me in na

Not for me. The Swedes get hosed again.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lemon-Lime posted:

Awesome.

Sadly, they seem to be using the dub OP instead of Toki wo Koete. :( But still, everyone can watch Zeta for free, which is pretty nice.

Dub op is great.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Droyer posted:

Not for me. The Swedes get hosed again.

Could be worse. You could be Dutch.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/04/fan-made-subtitles-for-tv-shows-and-movies-are-illegal/

And not related to anything but:

https://twitter.com/strongest_human/status/854795485592399873

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But is the Unicorn frapp mindnumbingly boring? That's the key.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Does the Straw on the frap split to form the Iconic Gundam Crest?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The frapp certainly has more color than the Unicorn, that's a point in its favor.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

OneDeadman posted:

Does the Straw on the frap split to form the Iconic Gundam Crest?

I'm trying to figure out a joke about Unicorn going into destroy Mode being like somebody getting fat and their clothes ripping because they drank too many fraps, but I can't figure out how to phrase it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm trying to think of a reason why the Unicorn needed to be a mobile suit in the first place instead of a nice big key. As far as protagonist suits go, I find it on the lower end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm trying to think of a reason why the Unicorn needed to be a mobile suit in the first place instead of a nice big key. As far as protagonist suits go, I find it on the lower end.

The Unicorn needed to have a psychoframe and the easiest way to get that built and funded was to convince them to make a mobile suit for combat.

It's actually basically the usual Psycomm/Weapon issue made into a whole mobile suit. The theoretical goal of the Unicorn is understanding and fostering Newtypes and so of course it actually ends up being part of a hosed-up mobile suit which literally has something called the Newtype Destroy System installed. The fact that it's a weapon plays into Unicorn's big ol overarching theme of turning Newtypes into Weapons and how hosed up that is.

(Which is again basically a standard Gundam theme, it's the entire reason for funnels.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 21, 2017

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Arcsquad12 posted:

To be fair, La+ was installed in secret by Vist after the fact; the Unicorn line of suits was designed to be testbeds for NT-D and used specifically as Newtype-killers, rather than just to unlock Laplace's Box.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So essentially it's the vist foundation being ironic in an attempt to call attention to how hosed up the UC military industrial complex is

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Xy Hapu posted:

Interestingly the logic there seems fairly emblematic of the criticisms against G-Reco, he extrapolates the audience's perception a step or two too far and loses them, I'm pretty sure most people would just stop at "space elevator is doing a useful thing, that is good" rather than go on to "space elevator is doing a useful thing but exclusively for a product that doesn't exist in the real world, therefore it is not useful in the real world".

I find this interview quite weird because I cannot imagine Tomino as someone who doesn't research and validate his settings with others, but his thoughts on the space elevator just don't make sense from my, admittedly superficial understanding of them. My understanding is that the economic problem with space elevators isn't that there won't be anything to bring down on them to make them viable, but that there might not be enough to go up in to space to match the amount coming down. Space essentially provides unlimited amount of raw resources in various asteroids and even gas mining on Moons and Planets, plus presumably at least some manufactured goods from the Colonies. Earth cannot ever hope to match the material wealth of space, so unless Earth can make a whole boat load of finished goods out of those resources that the Colonies need or desire then you end up with more stuff being brought down to support Earth than stuff going up to the Colonies. I'm pretty sure that one of the main advantages and selling points of a space elevator is that it's so cheap to run as well. It would have a huge up front cost to manufacture one, but once it's built any trip is basically free because you can load up a lot of weight on one end and let gravity do the work of hauling it.

It's also never been proven impossible to make one. It's been proven harder than estimated because of articles/research like this, but that doesn't make it impossible by any stretch. So either Tomino didn't research the subject as much as I'd have assumed he would given the amount of world building in his stuff, or he researched it so thoroughly that he's become even more of an expert than some some scientists, including folks at respected institutions like NASA.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Arcsquad12 posted:

So essentially it's the vist foundation being ironic in an attempt to call attention to how hosed up the UC military industrial complex is

That's about the long and short of it. It's the same reason the whole scavenger hunt for the box specifically leads them to locations representative of the worst atrocities of the Universal Century, because for some reason subtlety does not seem to be a priority for a dude who designed a mobile suit with a giant-rear end horn that turns itself inside-out to take the form of one of history's greatest weapons of mass destruction :v:

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

tsob posted:

My understanding is that the economic problem with space elevators isn't that there won't be anything to bring down on them to make them viable, but that there might not be enough to go up in to space to match the amount coming down.

I think that's what he's thinking, that there's not much on Earth you'd really want to import in bulk to space, which is the main benefit of a space elevator. Moving stuff from space to Earth through other means is in contrast much less costly so the benefits of a space elevator are lessened.

I do agree though that it's too early to call space elevators impossible, and my money is on us building them eventually, though more as a vanity/convenience project than an economic one. There may also be a small window where we get one relatively soon, if material science becomes advanced enough but at the same time we don't yet have much infrastructure in space, but once the infrastructure is up it may be decommissioned. But that's all just wild speculation really.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

tsob posted:

I find this interview quite weird because I cannot imagine Tomino as someone who doesn't research and validate his settings with others, but his thoughts on the space elevator just don't make sense from my, admittedly superficial understanding of them. My understanding is that the economic problem with space elevators isn't that there won't be anything to bring down on them to make them viable, but that there might not be enough to go up in to space to match the amount coming down. Space essentially provides unlimited amount of raw resources in various asteroids and even gas mining on Moons and Planets, plus presumably at least some manufactured goods from the Colonies. Earth cannot ever hope to match the material wealth of space, so unless Earth can make a whole boat load of finished goods out of those resources that the Colonies need or desire then you end up with more stuff being brought down to support Earth than stuff going up to the Colonies. I'm pretty sure that one of the main advantages and selling points of a space elevator is that it's so cheap to run as well. It would have a huge up front cost to manufacture one, but once it's built any trip is basically free because you can load up a lot of weight on one end and let gravity do the work of hauling it.

It's also never been proven impossible to make one. It's been proven harder than estimated because of articles/research like this, but that doesn't make it impossible by any stretch. So either Tomino didn't research the subject as much as I'd have assumed he would given the amount of world building in his stuff, or he researched it so thoroughly that he's become even more of an expert than some some scientists, including folks at respected institutions like NASA.

The real difficulty with space elevators is the fact that, like asteroid mining, they make absolutely no economic sense unless there's a significant population of humans living outside of Earth. Any commodities being brought to Earth in numbers that would justify the insane cost of doing anything in space would flood the market to a degree that would make the materials completely worthless.

Plus one was ever attacked by a military force or terrorists it would cause destruction at an utterly unprecedented scale.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I'm watching Thunderbolt December Sky again and I noticed that the Moore Brotherhood reinforcements included 4 Guncannons and 20 GM Cannons. Is there supposed to be any actual significant difference between the mass produced Guncannons and the GM Cannons?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'm watching Thunderbolt December Sky again and I noticed that the Moore Brotherhood reinforcements included 4 Guncannons and 20 GM Cannons. Is there supposed to be any actual significant difference between the mass produced Guncannons and the GM Cannons?

The GMs only have 1 shoulder cannon.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Plus one was ever attacked by a military force or terrorists it would cause destruction at an utterly unprecedented scale.

around the time 00 was airing someone made a physics simulator in flash to give rough idea of how hilariously devastating a snapped space elevator would be depending on where it broke, and the answer was basically that if it snaps anywhere in the middle 50% of its length the entire equator eats poo poo.

mthang0851
Sep 15, 2002

Diamonds Are Forever!
The beginning of ZZ sucks d*ck :negative:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

around the time 00 was airing someone made a physics simulator in flash to give rough idea of how hilariously devastating a snapped space elevator would be depending on where it broke, and the answer was basically that if it snaps anywhere in the middle 50% of its length the entire equator eats poo poo.

That was a plot point in the old Totally-not-Gundam tabletop rpg Jovian Chronciles, where Mars gets hosed when it's Orbital Elevator got accidentally blown up during a mecha fight.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

MitchFM posted:

ZZ sucks d*ck :negative:

Unfortunately,yes. At least Elle is cool.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

MitchFM posted:

Moon Moon rules, but almost everything else in the first 14 episodes really blows

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

That was a plot point in the old Totally-not-Gundam tabletop rpg Jovian Chronciles, where Mars gets hosed when it's Orbital Elevator got accidentally blown up during a mecha fight.

It was also a plot point in Kim Robinson's Mars trilogy, which everyone should read because it's very good.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

MitchFM posted:

How could they ever top Kamillie and his one man rampage against THE SYSTEM in Zeta Gundam though?

Seriously, the rushed escalation of that entire situation in that whole episode is hilarious and is thus:

SKIPPING MOBILE SUIT GYM/gently caress YOU TEACHER/gently caress YOU JERID/gently caress YOU MP DUDE/STEALING A CAR/STEALING A GUNDAM/gently caress ALL OF YOU!

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 22, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

brainwrinkle posted:

Moon Moon rules

hosed up

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SeanBeansShako posted:

How could they ever top Kamillie and his one man rampage against THE SYSTEM in Zeta Gundam though?

Seriously, the rushed escalation of that entire situation in that whole episode is hilarious and is thus:

SKIPPING MOBILE SUIT GYM/gently caress YOU TEACHER/gently caress YOU JERID/gently caress YOU MP DUDE/STEALING A CAR/STEALING A GUNDAM/gently caress ALL OF YOU!

Mom and dad are dead, time to design a gundam from scratch

mthang0851
Sep 15, 2002

Diamonds Are Forever!
I think I entirely hate all of UC Gundam ... I'm going in order, from 0079 I am at ZZ. The pain is unbearable, Tomino is a horrible producer/director... :nexus: All that teenage angst is unbearable the running gag with kids aboard the ship while fighting a major war :gay: The story board just doesn't run to well for me :colbert:

mthang0851 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 24, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gundam is pretty much always about kids in mech wars. There's just no getting around it, unfortunately.

mthang0851
Sep 15, 2002

Diamonds Are Forever!

Shinjobi posted:

Gundam is pretty much always about kids in mech wars. There's just no getting around it, unfortunately.

I know I've seen pretty much all of the alternate timeline joints, save like 1 or 2. UC story just sucks d*ck :lolplant:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MitchFM posted:

I think I entirely hate all of UC Gundam ... I'm going in order, from 0079 I am at ZZ. The pain is unbearable, Tomino is a horrible producer/director... :nexus: All that teemage angst is unbearable the running gag with kids aboard the ship while fighting a major war :gay: The story board just doesn't run to well for me :colbert:

Just watch the OVAs if you're fed up of teenage pilots.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Oh, huh, I just realised the significance of the protagonists of IBO using an isaribi (fishing lure) against a skipjack and a bunch of halfbeaks.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

MitchFM posted:

I think I entirely hate all of UC Gundam ... I'm going in order, from 0079 I am at ZZ. The pain is unbearable, Tomino is a horrible producer/director... :nexus: All that teemage angst is unbearable the running gag with kids aboard the ship while fighting a major war :gay: The story board just doesn't run to well for me :colbert:

Have you considered not watching 100+ episodes of something you're predisposed to dislike

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Street cred, my man.

mthang0851
Sep 15, 2002

Diamonds Are Forever!

Motto posted:

Have you considered not watching 100+ episodes of something you're predisposed to dislike

Had to try and watch the OG timeline 1x. Especially since I came in to the franchise via toonami w/Wing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The real difficulty with space elevators is the fact that, like asteroid mining, they make absolutely no economic sense unless there's a significant population of humans living outside of Earth. Any commodities being brought to Earth in numbers that would justify the insane cost of doing anything in space would flood the market to a degree that would make the materials completely worthless.

I'm probably showing economic ignorance here but I'm not really seeing how an abundance of material would matter in this day and age. Like, I can understand how it'd shock the stock markets temporarily if 5 billion tonnes of diamond turned up one day and how if the Gold Standard were still a thing it might destroy an economy, but the world has been operating on a money fiat standard for decades and demand is more of a cost definer than supply unless something is really scarce. If something is scarce then the price can be driven up, but if something is abundant the price isn't low simply because of it's abundance, especially for anything that's engineered and manufactured since the cost tends to be determined not just by the time and knowledge gone in to it, but by the brand attached to it.

Sand and stone make up the majority of raw materials in a house and they can be found in abundance almost anywhere in the world, but you'll still be paying for a house for most of your life. A Louise Vitton bag or shirt costs roughly the same as one from Top Shop materially, but the cost of one is still orders of magnitude greater than the other. I just don't see how having lots of cheap gold, platinum or whatever else available to use for something is going to do much to the market since most appliances using them will still charge through the nose for the time, knowledge and label attached to them and most consumers don't seem to care one way or another.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

If you designed it with no counter measures it probably would cause devastation I suppose yea, but counter measures for such things would be considered for years before it'd ever be built. Given that there are now parachutes than can slow and save passenger airplanes I can't imagine it'd be hard to design a system where if the track/line tilts to more than 30 degrees or whatever a parachute deploys on that section to slow it's fall. Which, given that it'd have to be built from carbon nanotubes, wouldn't even take a huge parachute if you're putting one along any reasonable sectional length. I'm sure a more feasible and practical solution is possible, but mitigating the damage from falling cables or tracks doesn't seem to be impossible is the point.

Mom and dad are dead, time to design a gundam from scratch

He just combined the Gundam Mk II with a Rick Dias and added a transformation system or something if I recall. Not exactly "from scratch".

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The Zeta looks far different from either the Rick Dias and the Mark II though. Also didn't a different mechanical designer work on it?

Also you can call yourself a Gundam fan despite not having seen UC, just watch what you like!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tsob posted:

I'm probably showing economic ignorance here but I'm not really seeing how an abundance of material would matter in this day and age.

You are right in that there is a nearly inexhaustible supply of silicon available locally but consider that virtually all of the accessible copper on the planet has already been extracted and is in use today. Also consider that there are uses for some materials which are cost-prohibitive today but which may become more widespread if a rare commodity is suddenly much more commonplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

tsob posted:

I'm probably showing economic ignorance here but I'm not really seeing how an abundance of material would matter in this day and age. Like, I can understand how it'd shock the stock markets temporarily if 5 billion tonnes of diamond turned up one day and how if the Gold Standard were still a thing it might destroy an economy, but the world has been operating on a money fiat standard for decades and demand is more of a cost definer than supply unless something is really scarce. If something is scarce then the price can be driven up, but if something is abundant the price isn't low simply because of it's abundance, especially for anything that's engineered and manufactured since the cost tends to be determined not just by the time and knowledge gone in to it, but by the brand attached to it.

Sand and stone make up the majority of raw materials in a house and they can be found in abundance almost anywhere in the world, but you'll still be paying for a house for most of your life. A Louise Vitton bag or shirt costs roughly the same as one from Top Shop materially, but the cost of one is still orders of magnitude greater than the other. I just don't see how having lots of cheap gold, platinum or whatever else available to use for something is going to do much to the market since most appliances using them will still charge through the nose for the time, knowledge and label attached to them and most consumers don't seem to care one way or another.

If you designed it with no counter measures it probably would cause devastation I suppose yea, but counter measures for such things would be considered for years before it'd ever be built. Given that there are now parachutes than can slow and save passenger airplanes I can't imagine it'd be hard to design a system where if the track/line tilts to more than 30 degrees or whatever a parachute deploys on that section to slow it's fall. Which, given that it'd have to be built from carbon nanotubes, wouldn't even take a huge parachute if you're putting one along any reasonable sectional length. I'm sure a more feasible and practical solution is possible, but mitigating the damage from falling cables or tracks doesn't seem to be impossible is the point.

Not every material would have their price driven down but it's pretty straightforward supply and demand. Materials, manpower and maintenance all have costs and a space elevator would be one of the greatest, most expensive undertakings of all time. Now putting aside the efficiency of asteroid mining (asteroids don't have veins of materials so you'd have to basically mulch them to get at anything) and funding the initial construction (I find it hard to believe that any government would be happy to sign that cheque), if you were going to bring anything close to the amount of gold or platinum or copper that'd justify building the drat thing then the supply would immediately outstrip demand by orders of magnitude. It doesn't matter what companies using Space Copper charge for their electronics when you're the one selling the Space Copper. Every Earth Copper company in the world would either have to collude with you or drop their prices to compete and the market would very quickly bottom out.

Hell, it happens all the time with regular Earth Minerals. Remember when so much gas was being extracted that a bunch of drill rigs and wells had to be shut down until prices returned to profitable levels a few years back? The same thing happens with mining all the time. If a particularly rich vein of gold or diamonds or whatever is struck then the price doesn't take long to start dropping. Gold standard or not, supply has a significant role in commodity pricing.

Also despite a variety of couter measures buildings still fall down. Putting parachutes on a giant tower probably wouldn't help all that much when it's still crushing half the equator. It's not like a space elevator would be a big empty space.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 24, 2017