Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'm thinking of ordering a copy of Fiasco. Does IPR do frequent coupon codes? Nothing obvious comes up with a cursory Google search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Plutonis posted:

What tabletop rpg slash board game will you be playing today on Columbine, Adolf Hitler, Devil Weed day?

This sounds like a bad joke that I´m suprisingly happy for not getting.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Mr.Misfit posted:

4/20 is the :420: day. It is also Adolf Hitler's birthday and the anniversary of the Columbine school shooting.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mr.Misfit posted:

Got em.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Gobbeldygook posted:

4/20 is the :420: day. It is also Adolf Hitler's birthday and the anniversary of the Columbine school shooting.

I started dating my now wife the day Columbine happened. Everyone who hears our anniversary assumes we're potheads.

:negative:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

whydirt posted:

I'm thinking of ordering a copy of Fiasco. Does IPR do frequent coupon codes? Nothing obvious comes up with a cursory Google search.

I don't think IPR's ever done sales or coupons.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

What tabletop rpg slash board game will you be playing today on Columbine, Adolf Hitler, Devil Weed day?

I am continuing my Advanced Squad Leader LP (just finished the first full turn!) and my Discord game of Scarlet Heroes

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Plutonis posted:

Probably case four in Sherlock Holmes, Consulting Detective. So far it's been... bad.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

whydirt posted:

As much as I encourage people to support BPG (and I do) there's really no reason to own a physical copy of the Fiasco book. Buy the PDF and print the four pages you'll need during play.

Edit: then buy Durance because Durance is fantastic.

Zurui fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 20, 2017

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Halloween Jack posted:

John Wick didn't invent L5R, and there's nothing about the new game on his homepage. Maybe he receives royalties? But this is the RPG business.

He is writing an adventure for the new Paranoia, and I'm curious to see whether it's as good a match as it seems or if John finds a way to cock up the formula.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Osprey has a new post-apocalyptic miniature skirmish game out today called Scrappers

https://ospreypublishing.com/scrappers

quote:

Back Cover Text

More than 150 years have passed since the apocalypse that nearly destroyed the Earth. Today, the planet is a torn remnant of its former glory, ravaged by nuclear fallout and mutagens. New lifeforms - Mutants and Synthetics - challenge True Humanity for dominance, while warring factions compete for survival and supremacy, and all must carve out their place in this brutal landscape, or else perish as billions before them. Scrappers is skirmish miniatures game set in the wastelands, where players assemble Scrapper Crews and send them out to scavenge scraps of Ancient technology and battle rival factions. Explorers, cultists and raiders clash with mutated creatures, robotic soldiers and embittered True Humans in this wargame of salvage and survival in the ruins of the future.

$30 for the hardcover book ($18 for the epubs) but you can use any miniatures in their system.

Here is how to make a Warband from a reviewer

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2017/02/scrappers-review.html

quote:

Building warbands

Should you stick to the setting of the game, you are presented with a couple of choices for your warband. There are seven factions in the world to pick for your warband, each faction can pick from/or is restricted to one, two or three of the existing life form types, True Human/Mutant/Synthetic.

For instance, the faction called "The Purge" can only have members that are true humans, the "Gamma lords" is a faction purely made up of mutants, while factions like the Ectopians, Architects and Freelancers can mix life forms from of all types in their warband. Each life form type has its own list of traits that make up the basic special rules of a character.

True humans have evolved to be much smarter and have survival instincts, they can re-roll failed gear checks and are harder to kill.

Mutant life forms can re-roll dice on the trauma table after each game if they have been wounded, they ignore some radiation and the mutants are divided into 3 sub-categories providing extra bonuses depending on which type of mutant you create.

Synthetic life forms are immune to gas and poison, can ignore target priority restrictions and also have 3 sub-categories of troops that all have their own bonuses such as being able to carry more weight.

Before you can start playing you have to build your warband. You pick a faction to your liking that comes with its limitations regarding what kind of characters/lifeforms you can recruit. You get your base traits depending on the lifeforms you have recruited. Then you have to give your characters stats which are divided into Combat, Command and Constitution. You can also buy extra traits for your troops, and these are divided into generic and lifeform dependant, there are quite a bunch of traits to pick from for each lifeform type so you can tailor your gang to your liking. There are also a handful of faction specific traits exclusive to the faction you are playing.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
yay, another post-apocalyptic miniatures skirmish game

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I've liked some of the Osprey wargames, but $30 is like twice as much as they normally cost. Any pre-release gameplay reviews?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
No gameplay reviews that I've seen. Just the book review by the blogger.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Plutonis posted:

The Next Project's latest PbP playtest is ongoing, so that's what I'm up to.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Cease to Hope posted:

someone

someone please

why goblin

tell me why goblin

TELL ME

Fantasy Craft is a good one

Tasoth posted:

Oh hey, it seems someone is asking about misremembered RPGs. Guess I'll have a go.

A couple months ago, the F&F thread were talking about games in the vein of Torchbearer and XCrawl. One was brought up that focuses on quick chargen and dungeon building. I think the setting is something bad happened, society collapsed and now you go into nightmare dungeons to get stuff out to make money. I looked it up before and I think the cover has some kind of silhouette of a dungeon in black over a red background. I've been raking my brain for the last twenty four hours and am drawing a blank.

You're looking for The Nightmares Underneath

Cartoon Violence posted:

Alrighty, I'll happily use this thread since it seems casual.

Shadow's Edge is a Tabletop RPG based in the future of an alternate timeline where a supernatural conspiracy wiped out Earth's governments in the mid 90's. When making the setting I took elements from just about everything nerdy I've enjoyed over the years and did my best to make a consistent, believable setting with futuristic technology and high fantasy concepts. Just about any possible character concept you can think of will likely have lore and mechanics in place to make that character possible. The setting mostly takes itself super seriously, but the players are meant to just enjoy the monsters and cyborgs fighting. I tend not to do much to obfuscate what my inspirations for certain aspects are, but I wanted that to be part of the fun, like a more down-to-earth Dungeons: The Dragoning

Characters are high-power and you can expect a Character to grow in influence and strength at about the same pace a 4e D&D character does.

I hesitate to call it "rules-light", because even though the combat tries to take strategy into account, I wanted everything to feel easy-to-follow and fun first and foremost.

The game features 74 Playable Races / Species and 32 Classes (Probably double that if you count Sub-classes).

The base stats system is very very loosely based off of GURPS, but the combat itself is more "everyone takes turns saying how their character finds new and unique ways to kill ridiculous bad guys". GM Fiat plays a large role, but I more want the GM and players to work together to tell a fun story, much like the ___ World games.

How should I go about sharing my game? Just post everything I've ever made in a big zip file? Or would that be too TL;DR? Should I just post about the aspects in increments in effortposts with relevant files included? I'm looking for feedback and help "finishing" it, but I also want to just share my creation with you all, especially since I don't ever plan on selling it, but having it completed would mean in the future I could just post it for everyone for free.

This sounds pretty fun

Plutonis posted:

72 Races and 36 Classes is cool to me. I like esoteric variety :shobon:

One of those times we're in full agreement Plutonis

slap me and kiss me posted:

Speaking of sharing, I've just finished and posted rev 004 of my post-apocalyptic fantasy game, featuring kung-fu grip, and a brand new character creation system.

You might want to take a look at this if...

... you enjoy tactical combat, but dislike having nothing to do in between taking your turns;
... you enjoy gradated success in modern games like Fate and Dungeon World, but want a tactical component to your gameplay;
... you like the character building of D&D 4e, but dislike the item treadmill and fiddly feat choices; and
... you like the simplicity of D&D 5e's advantages and disadvantages ... but 5e

Download the GM content for Playtest 004
Download the Player content for Playtest 004

Sounds intriguing

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Fantasy Craft is a good one

this is a reply to a shitpost from two weeks ago

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Cease to Hope posted:

this is a reply to a shitpost from two weeks ago

Still a good recommendation though

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

drrockso20 posted:

Sounds intriguing

I'm doing a recruit for a PbP playtest if you're interested in whipping up a character and trying it out - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817556

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Hey

Guess what somehow isn't a kickstarter

http://www.modiphius.com/fallout.html

gently caress you I'm not resizing it

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Yay, another post apocalyptic miniatures skirmish game!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Gonna buy that Nuka Cola machine :allears:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

starkebn posted:

yay, another post-apocalyptic miniatures skirmish game

starkebn posted:

Yay, another post apocalyptic miniatures skirmish game!

lmao

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
War (gaming miniatures) never changes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I knew where it was going as soon as the "means of destruction" pun came in. I still groaned.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Robin Laws is conducting an AMA over the whole week

https://www.reddit.com/r/RPGdesign/comments/672t0d/rpgdesign_activity_robin_d_laws_designer_of/

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Is anyone here familiar with Go Play NW? I'm thinking about taking a trip to Seattle in July and thought I might swing by that con. http://www.goplaynw.org/

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

clockworkjoe posted:

Is anyone here familiar with Go Play NW? I'm thinking about taking a trip to Seattle in July and thought I might swing by that con. http://www.goplaynw.org/

For a second, I thought it was about playing Go. Now, I'm just disappointed its in Seattle and not someplace I can cheaply get to.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is apparently a company in my area called Transylvanian Interiors with their logo being a heraldry crest I dont recognize and now Ive spent all day thinking about how Dracula, after falling from power, realized that interior design is what everyone remembers him for and now adds a centuries old gothic touch to your home.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
It's probably a great way to get invited into people's homes.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Barudak posted:

There is apparently a company in my area called Transylvanian Interiors with their logo being a heraldry crest I dont recognize and now Ive spent all day thinking about how Dracula, after falling from power, realized that interior design is what everyone remembers him for and now adds a centuries old gothic touch to your home.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/RaySonne/status/856305943964901376

What the hell happened to Marvel? There was also this thing the other day where they're apparently asking retailers to wear Hail Hydra t-shirts.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/RaySonne/status/856305943964901376

What the hell happened to Marvel? There was also this thing the other day where they're apparently asking retailers to wear Hail Hydra t-shirts.

If you dare to brave the depths of the comics subforum you can probably get a better answer but to start with be aware that Marvel That Makes Billion Dollar Movies and Marvel That Makes Comics That Sell Like 100,000 copies are sort of in a D&D/Magic: the Gathering kind of relationship where one is vastly more important than the other and the lesser one is basically left to do whatever dumb poo poo they want to because nobody really cares. That said some dude named Nick Spencer apparently pitched Marvel editorial a bold, visionary storyline that could be summed up as "what if all this time Captain America was actually a Nazi?????? And, like, the Allies only won WWII because the used the cosmic cube to cheat reality into what we THINK is the true timeline but then it gets undone because something something anyway Captain America is totally a Nazi now, and maybe always has been" and because this is comics instead of his body being immediately fired out of a cannon into the sun he was told "so when can you start?"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Two great things to point out thanks to this storyline.

1) The Nazis in the marvel universe only lose WW2 due to jewish science corrupting their perfect aryan warrior
2) The allies in the marvel universe, despite having a magic object with which to rewrite history, choose to have the holocaust happen.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Barudak posted:

Two great things to point out thanks to this storyline.

1) The Nazis in the marvel universe only lose WW2 due to jewish science corrupting their perfect aryan warrior
2) The allies in the marvel universe, despite having a magic object with which to rewrite history, choose to have the holocaust happen.

So is Nick Spencer an alt-righter or?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
:lol: what the gently caress

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

So is Nick Spencer an alt-righter or?

At this point I don't know how you could make any meaningful distinction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
What, no :ussr: Comrade-Captain America, shield of the proletariat? Seems like a natural fit for Steve Rogers' Depression-era origins.

• Locked thread