Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

BJPaskoff posted:

I actually Googled this to see if it was from an MTGSalvation thread.

It was, right? ....right? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So what are the odds the Super Mystery Set Iconic Masters gets spoiled by some major leak a week before the tournament where it's supposed to be unveiled?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I mean I opened an expedition Misty and I'm probably never going to get rid of it because I love it so much.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Siivola posted:

There's also five decks, because that's the anthology reprint of the original 2011 Commander decks. Commander 2017 is due... November or something?

That's only one of the original 2011 Commander Decks. Evasive Maneuvers was C13, Guided by Nature was C14, and Plunder the Graves was C15.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If Iconic Masters is anything at all like the other Masters sets, people are going to be super pissed and disappointed by the big mystery reveal. They have to have something really amazing in it to justify the big Mystery Event thing, right? Wizards can't be that dumb, can they? Oh poo poo.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I thought people were pretty happy with MM17

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheChirurgeon posted:

I thought people were pretty happy with MM17

It didn't bring staples down enough so people are in fact not happy.

You know for reasons.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

St0rmD posted:

That's only one of the original 2011 Commander Decks. Evasive Maneuvers was C13, Guided by Nature was C14, and Plunder the Graves was C15.
Wow, gently caress, I can't read. I was almost entirely full of poo poo there. Thanks for catching that.

Reprinting only one deck from each year seems like a weird call. Were these ones particularly good or something?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Count Bleck posted:

It didn't bring staples down enough so people are in fact not happy.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Do you know what would have brought fetchlands down again. Printing them in a Standard set; please help reduce the cost of our mana bases Wizards.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

Do you know what would have brought fetchlands down again. Printing them in a Standard set; please help reduce the cost of our mana bases Wizards.

They can't do that for at least two years

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Typed cycle lands are a lot less powerful to fetch for than battle lands.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Because Standard will have too good of mana by searching for duels that come into play tapped? We already have a Mardu deck and a deck called 4-color Saheeli dominating the format.

I want verdant catacombs Wizards.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Honestly, I want a year or two where the best color fixing is Evolving Wilds and Ash Barrens. I get super tired of 3-4 color good stuff decks being so prevalent.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/855450003631767552

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
http://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/855450003631767552
Dang It I Was Beaten

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Shivan Dragons for EVERYONE!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
They're seriously setting themselves up for real bad backlash here by hyping a set as a TOP SECRET super-double-special 25th anniversary thing if it turns out to just be Eternal Masters 2: More Of The Same.

Remember how pissed people got when the Helvault promo turned out to be a wet fart? And that was something players weren't even paying for.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
what do you mean a giant angel card isn't a good reward for a month of hype

i dont even remember what else was in it, that card took up all my memory, cause it was so big

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

https://twitter.com/jasonnitcholas/status/855450408428466177

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
They are setting themselves up to fail so hard if their highlights are angels, demons, and dragons.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

No wotc, giving new art to classic, iconic cards is how you hype standard sets, not 10 dollar master sets.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Without printing reserved list cards there's almost no way they can justify $10 packs. This is probably going to be a huge disaster. Also, WOTC will blame the community for the set failing.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Eh, who cares.
Vintage is dumb format and Legacy is more a cluster of overpowered cards surviving in a self perpetuating bubble only because no real player cares enough to break it.
The reseverd list is dumb, but I'm not exactly disappointed.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Entropic posted:

They're seriously setting themselves up for real bad backlash here by hyping a set as a TOP SECRET super-double-special 25th anniversary thing if it turns out to just be Eternal Masters 2: More Of The Same.

Remember how pissed people got when the Helvault promo turned out to be a wet fart? And that was something players weren't even paying for.

I thought they got mad because like 5 stores got actual playable promo cards and everyone else got chaff.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mandatory lesbian posted:

what do you mean a giant angel card isn't a good reward for a month of hype

i dont even remember what else was in it, that card took up all my memory, cause it was so big

A few random big stores got judge foil demonic tutors and stuff.
Which pissed people off more than if everyone had just gotten the dumb over-sized angels, because it wasn't even random, it was only to stores of a certain rank, so if your LGS wasn't on their list you had 0% chance of your Helvault having something worthwhile in it while those big city jerks got a chance at sweet loot.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

A few random big stores got judge foil demonic tutors and stuff.
Which pissed people off more than if everyone had just gotten the dumb over-sized angels, because it wasn't even random, it was only to stores of a certain rank, so if your LGS wasn't on their list you had 0% chance of your Helvault having something worthwhile in it while those big city jerks got a chance at sweet loot.

what the gently caress, i went to star city games, and still got that stupid angel

i thought scg was the biggest card retailer on the east coast, loving Roanoke isn't good for anything else

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
scg is like the only store giving your dumb game any advertising as far as tourneys go the least you could do is give me something cool

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

what the gently caress, i went to star city games, and still got that stupid angel

i thought scg was the biggest card retailer on the east coast, loving Roanoke isn't good for anything else

It was random, but only random among premiere-level stores or something.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Star city games isn't just a retailer, its also distributor. If they aren't getting the best perks something is wrong.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
lol I just found my over-sized Bruna and I'd forgotten they weren't even foiled.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

YggdrasilTM posted:

Eh, who cares.
Vintage is dumb format and Legacy is more a cluster of overpowered cards surviving in a self perpetuating bubble only because no real player cares enough to break it.
The reseverd list is dumb, but I'm not exactly disappointed.

Modern is a bunch of people playing soggy cookie, standard is boring, midrange garbage, pauper is nothing but aggro, and commander is a bunch of people whining when you build a deck that actually tries to win.

Magic is bad, don't play it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Every constructed format sucks, just play draft, the one true format.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I for one am excited for the release of Literally Just Magic 2018: The Return of Lightning Bolt (to Standard).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

Every constructed format sucks, just play draft, the one true format.

I love playing with underpowered boring poo poo

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

Modern is a bunch of people playing soggy cookie, standard is boring, midrange garbage, pauper is nothing but aggro, and commander is a bunch of people whining when you build a deck that actually tries to win.

Magic is bad, don't play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtVDDk7jodc

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

I love playing with underpowered boring poo poo

And losing to one of the many unbeatable mythics I never open!

Play cube. The only good way to play this dumb game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

lol I just found my over-sized Bruna and I'd forgotten they weren't even foiled.

mine was Avacyn, i dont have it anymore since i threw it away cause it was unplayable (in multiple ways!)

Siivola posted:

I for one am excited for the release of Literally Just Magic 2018: The Return of Lightning Bolt (to Standard).

Now That's What I Call Magic Volume 8

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Isn't the Reserved List basically admitting the secondary market exists and the cards have monetary value, unlike everything else they try to do to dissociate the game with gambling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Isn't the Reserved List basically admitting the secondary market exists and the cards have monetary value, unlike everything else they try to do to dissociate the game with gambling?

You can't really gamble for those cards anymore unless you're an absolutely terrible gambler