Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I do like the story on the most recent podcast about how the editor took some liberties with Gus' reveal and Vince was initially frustrated but came around once he realized that the version he had in his head was actually worse.

I feel like most of the success of Vince's shows comes from just being a showrunner who's willing to listen to their crew, it's deceptive how simple it is. Didn't he want to kill Walt Jr. in season 1 before everyone talked him down from it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Gorn Myson posted:

I think the direction, writing and the performances of the actors do an extremely good job of setting up who these characters are to someone who has never seen Breaking Bad. The difference is that they will perceive them as more mysterious than we do because they haven't been given the context that we have, but they still do enough to establish their role within these particular stories.

Gus for instance is very obviously the guy who has been tracking Mike (and therefore is somehow connected to the people Mike was chasing), hes clearly using the fast food restaurant that he manages as a front and while he is outwardly a friendly and soft spoken person, hes clearly got that dark side to him.

Gus was introduced in BCS much the same as he was in BB. The only difference is that in BB, Saul sets up Gus as a character by saying he "knows a guy who knows a guy". We're told in BB who this guy is before we meet him, but it plays out the same way: we see a friendly, helpful man who looks like somebody's dad or uncle and he works as the manager and owner of a fast food restaurant. I think newcomers to the BB universe will quickly get the message that he's a dangerous man. I mean we even get a shot of Gus in the parking lot with that thousand-yard cold stare in BCS.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I do like the story on the most recent podcast about how the editor took some liberties with Gus' reveal and Vince was initially frustrated but came around once he realized that the version he had in his head was actually worse.

I feel like most of the success of Vince's shows comes from just being a showrunner who's willing to listen to their crew, it's deceptive how simple it is. Didn't he want to kill Walt Jr. in season 1 before everyone talked him down from it?

I can't even imagine how the rest of the series would have gone with out Walt Jr/Flynn.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

It would have been way better for one thing

sout
Apr 24, 2014

drunken officeparty posted:

It would have been way better for one thing

It would have been pointless. What would be the conceit of the show if he hasn't got a family to provide for?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Honestly I think the network's incessant desire to grow ratings may kill the quality. (With crap like the Gus cameo hulabaloo)

It's too bad Netflix didn't pick it up, they seem to be happy having multiple quality (low budget) shows with smaller audiences rather than a few mega hits.

(And the type of person with a Netflix account is probably a tv/cinema geek)

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Would that have been bad?

A Dexter style "come home to a family member murdered THAT'S A WRAP FOLKS" would have been a great twist.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

Honestly I think the network's incessant desire to grow ratings may kill the quality. (With crap like the Gus cameo hulabaloo)

It's too bad Netflix didn't pick it up, they seem to be happy having multiple quality (low budget) shows with smaller audiences rather than a few mega hits.

You mean most people? Netflix is not some obscure thing.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

maskenfreiheit posted:

Would that have been bad?

A Dexter style "come home to a family member murdered THAT'S A WRAP FOLKS" would have been a great twist.

sout posted:

It would have been pointless. What would be the conceit of the show if he hasn't got a family to provide for?

This. Walt Jr is basically the only character who sticks by Walt for the entire series. Walt and Skyler are already having issues by the end of the first season, Holly can't talk, and as much as Walt would like it, Jesse never really becomes a surrogate son. Not totally, anyway. So you're left with Jr, who loves and defends his dad right up until Ozymandias. Hell, Jr's screaming breakdown over the phone in Granite State is what convinces Walt to stop hiding and finish what he started. So yes, not having Jr around would be a detriment to the show. He's Walt's biggest fan and you need the emotional weight of his "betrayal". Plus, he's a funny character who lightens up a lot of otherwise heavy episodes.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If Walt Jr. died, we would have never gotten the scene where he gets to meet Saul :allears: And that would have been a god drat tragedy :colbert:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Who watches Better Call Saul but never watched Breaking Bad?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

clown shoes posted:

1/3 of this thread apparently

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This. Walt Jr is basically the only character who sticks by Walt for the entire series. Walt and Skyler are already having issues by the end of the first season, Holly can't talk, and as much as Walt would like it, Jesse never really becomes a surrogate son. Not totally, anyway. So you're left with Jr, who loves and defends his dad right up until Ozymandias. Hell, Jr's screaming breakdown over the phone in Granite State is what convinces Walt to stop hiding and finish what he started. So yes, not having Jr around would be a detriment to the show. He's Walt's biggest fan and you need the emotional weight of his "betrayal". Plus, he's a funny character who lightens up a lot of otherwise heavy episodes.

And the breakfasts! Think of the breakfasts!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

clown shoes posted:

My dad. He got through season 1 of BB, but realized that watching the tragically violent and bloody downfall of a family man wasn't really something he wanted to do. He's checking out BCS, though.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My dad. He got through season 1 of BB, but realized that watching the tragically violent and bloody downfall of a family man wasn't really something he wanted to do. He's checking out BCS, though.

How does he feel about Chuck?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

clown shoes posted:

My mother is. She hasn't seen Breaking Bad yet but has been enjoying this show.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

1/3 of this thread apparently

1/3 of the thread watched Breaking Bad first, they're just angry about the hypothetical experiences of people who didn't.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

maskenfreiheit posted:

Nothing good comes from a show taking queues from Dexter.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

They're just angry that Better Call Saul isn't the Breaking Bad All Star Fanservice and Variety Hour featuring this week's guests The Harlem Globetrotters.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

FogHelmut posted:

They're just angry that Better Call Saul isn't the Breaking Bad All Star Fanservice and Variety Hour featuring this week's guests The Harlem Globetrotters.

Well now I'm angry this doesn't exist :mad:

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Without Sonny available for a Sonny and Cher reunion on the show, what's the point?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

Ah yes Netflix, famous for being a niche arthouse distributor with little budget and low viewership.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

Yeah, it would've been a great twist had Dexter actually ended on that. Unfortunately...

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

maskenfreiheit posted:

And here I was certain that nobody remained on this earth that would want something "Dexter style" on in their tee vee

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Solice Kirsk posted:

I can't even imagine how the rest of the series would have gone with out Walt Jr/Flynn.

Walter Jr needs to exist so Walt can kick the legs out from under that punk in the pilot.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Tellah posted:

And here I was certain that nobody remained on this earth that would want something "Dexter style" on in their tee vee

Meanwhile, over in NMD, somebody is arguing that new bands should really try to be more like KORN.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Tellah posted:

I'd take a John Lithgow guest arc any time :colbert:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

some guy on the bus posted:

Interesting that half of the viewers went "gently caress this" at Season 1 Episode 1.

People wanted more gangster stuff but instead got an amazing, slow burn story about lawyers loving each other over and Mike being Mike.

This show rules and I hope they never stray from their original vision.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

People wanted more gangster stuff but instead got an amazing, slow burn story about lawyers loving each other over and Mike being Mike.

This show rules and I hope they never stray from their original vision.

If Mike, everyone's favorite bad-rear end old guy, isn't an acceptable, and maybe even superior, substitute for "gangster stuff," well...I just don't know what to say.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Secret Agent X23 posted:

If Mike, everyone's favorite bad-rear end old guy, isn't an acceptable, and maybe even superior, substitute for "gangster stuff," well...I just don't know what to say.

Modern audiences will only accept slow burn character studies if every other scene is intercut with a pointlessly gory zombie kill.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't think people realized that Breaking Bad wasn't just explosions and gunfire; it was the mental and emotional buildup to those things. Anyone can ruin a car, but when Walt does it, it's something more.

Remove the explosions and most of the gunplay, and you've got almost the same show in Better Call Saul, and I mean this in the best possible way; it's so much better than it has any right to be, it being a spinoff.

Whatever Vince does next, I hope it's with the same technical crew and for AMC. Doesn't have to be in the BB/BCS universe, it just has to have that feel.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Secret Agent X23 posted:

Is Mike fiddling with a tracker and watching people walk around with binoculars gangster stuff?

No one should be surprised that this last episode got the lowest ratings of the series for the way it started and how boring the 1st episode was.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Is Mike fiddling with a tracker and watching people walk around with binoculars gangster stuff?

No one should be surprised that this last episode got the lowest ratings of the series for the way it started and how boring the 1st episode was.

This is why Mike worked better as a side character than co-lead, imo. Turns out the idea of a super methodical badass is probably more interesting than watching one do all the work.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Any gifs of Howard's Ferris Bueller impression?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'd rather watch Mike do badass grandpa poo poo than watch Jimmy and Chuck bicker or any lawyer drama stuff. But then I'd also rather watch Slippin' Jimmy doing cons than Mike doing badass grandpa poo poo.

It all balances out :shrug:

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Mike's scenes are good.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Someone was asking about ratings earlier, BCS hit a series low this past week. This doesn't include secondaries.
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/monday-cable-ratings-april-17-2017/

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Secret Agent X23 posted:

sub·sti·tute
ˈsəbstəˌt(y)o͞ot/
noun
a person or thing acting or serving in place of another.
"soy milk is used as a substitute for dairy milk"
synonyms: replacement, deputy, relief, proxy, reserve, surrogate, cover, stand-in, locum (tenens), understudy; More

verb
use or add in place of.
"dried rosemary can be substituted for the fresh herb"
synonyms: exchange, replace, use instead of, use as an alternative to, use in place of, swap
"cottage cheese can be substituted for yogurt"

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Well, that comment was kinda halfway a smartass remark, but...It's certainly not gangster stuff in the sense of breaking a couple of punks' legs out in the middle of the desert or coldly cutting a guy's throat in front of horrified witnesses. But when Mike's fiddling with the tracker and watching people, we have a pretty good idea of what the stakes are, and we know what Mike's capable of. So there's tension, and just speaking for myself, I'm fine with the way they've been doing things so far.

Having said that, I'm not going to argue that it's wrong if someone wants to complain that they spend too much drat time with that stuff. I'm sympathetic to the idea that maybe Vince is pushing the limits here, for whatever reason, and in doing so, he's already gone too far for a possibly significant portion of the audience. Even if he hasn't reached my threshold yet, there are limits. I surely wouldn't want to watch a whole series of nothing but Mike fiddling with tracking devices and watching people, but I"m pretty sure the pace is going to pick up pretty soon now that Mike's found that phone in the middle of the road.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Grand Fromage posted:

We need Huell.

Huell is too busy in his own spinoff though I guess the timelines don't overlap so he could show up in BCS?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8domW4NwpBQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I just wanna say Jimmy trying to drink the gross sugar coffee was the funniest thing i've seen all week

• Locked thread