Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i just touched iphone 7 in local dealership :kingsley:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

what is this (PRODUCT)^RED shite

i saw it on latvian apple page and thought its just a translation fuckup, but apparently it is real in english too?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

(((product))) "red"

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what is this (PRODUCT)^RED shite

i saw it on latvian apple page and thought its just a translation fuckup, but apparently it is real in english too?

It's a charity that fights the spread of AIDS in the third world.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Glazier posted:

that's a noble cause, but very odd naming pattern

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it's like the charity distributed a template for brands to use in their campaigns: (PRODUCT) is supposed to be a placeholder for, you know, the product.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it's like the charity distributed a template for brands to use in their campaigns: (PRODUCT) is supposed to be a placeholder for, you know, the product.

this or like naming next mbp "mac {computer}"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i see airpods and apple watches all the time

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

i see airpods and apple watches all the time

Senor Dog posted:

guillotine

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

cinci zoo sniper posted:

this or like naming next mbp "mac {computer}"

ah yes the microsoft school of computer specifications.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

so i heard there was some apple news lmao

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

magic mouse thing which owns

:confused:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

why would you use a mouse on Mac OS X, ever

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

quote:

Yes I do think the new Intel modem will be in the iPhone. It is made on TSMC 28nm and TSMC is forecasting 28nm growth while traditional 28nm customers are moving to 16nm and UMC/SMIC are shipping a lot of 28nm wafers that are TSMC GDS compatible. If not the Intel modem, where is this 28nm growth coming from? That's my guess anyway.

I also had a long conversation with a legal friend that is following the QCOM case very closely and he thinks Apple is out for a pound of flesh and will ultimately get it and more. Not to mention the exposure it will bring to other QCOM customers and regulatory agencies.

One thing you should know about the semiconductor industry is that it is filled with extremely smart people with very big egos. I have been personally involved with industry legal spats and have seen some crazy "in the heat of the moment behavior" that has literally destroyed companies. I also got the inside scoop on the spat between Apple and IMGTEC and it is yet another example of irrational business behavior.

Just my opinion of course.

Lol imagination wanted some of Tim's margins
Don't gently caress with Tim's margins

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

GameCube posted:

why would you use a mouse on Mac OS X, ever

reluctantly rdp in into windows

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

DuckConference posted:

Lol imagination wanted some of Tim's margins
Don't gently caress with Tim's margins

where's that quote from?

i'd be surprised if apple designing their own GPUs was solely because imgtec wanted more money, because there's no way apple won't have to license a bunch of patents if they don't want to get sued.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Doc Block posted:

where's that quote from?

i'd be surprised if apple designing their own GPUs was solely because imgtec wanted more money, because there's no way apple won't have to license a bunch of patents if they don't want to get sued.

apple kept getting custom designs made though, and at some point a bit back they rather took charge of doing the customization themselves, i think it has been more or a gradual move than the news made it seem

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Doc Block posted:

where's that quote from?

The semiwiki.com forums

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Steve Jobs bought the original Juicero Prototype for his butt cancer treatment.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Steve Jobs bought the original Juicero Prototype for his butt cancer treatment.

hosed up!

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
as usual i stand behind a buff gay dude on this one

poty fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 21, 2017

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

juice is p. good though, going to put a bit of vodka in mine

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

poty posted:

as usual i stand behind a buff gay dude on this one

it's you're turn to stand in front of me

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

apple kept getting custom designs made though, and at some point a bit back they rather took charge of doing the customization themselves, i think it has been more or a gradual move than the news made it seem

i understand that Apple hasn't been using stock powervr GPUs for a while.

my point was that, contrary to what was being said, if Apple is doing a custom GPU it isn't to save money on licensing, since while they won't have to license a design they'll still have to license patents if they go their own way.

imgtec even said that there's basically no way Apple can design an entirely custom GPU that doesn't use/infringe on somebody's IP, so apple's still gonna have to license some patents from someone or else get sued, even if the design is 100% custom and new.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm visiting my parents and my dad has an imac. I'd like to get some work done and I only have the one macbook and it would be swell to use his imac as an external monitor.

seems like it should be simple but NOPE NO CAN DO.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
target display mode.

pre-thunderbolt modern-style iMacs can take a DisplayPort signal from anything that can output one. iMacs with thunderbolt can take a DisplayPort signal from anything that also has thunderbolt.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Doc Block posted:

target display mode.

pre-thunderbolt modern-style iMacs can take a DisplayPort signal from anything that can output one. iMacs with thunderbolt can take a DisplayPort signal from anything that also has thunderbolt.

yeah, see, i tried this thinking it would work. it didn't. the ones after 2014 cant do it.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
where my mac puts notifcations is ANNOYINGH AS gently caress

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

where my mac puts notifcations is ANNOYINGH AS gently caress

mate, don't sign your posts

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah, see, i tried this thinking it would work. it didn't. the ones after 2014 cant do it.

probably because the 2015 imac was the one that introduced retina and blah blah something about displayport not having enough bandwidth or whatever. maybe the cool new 2017 imac pro will bring it back.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
displayport over usb and thunderbolt is a total disaster and probably the reason that 99% of new monitors are still dp 1.2 in 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Glazier posted:

well it looks like the failed to keep it from spreading to the new iphone

Raged fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 22, 2017

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Doc Block posted:

i understand that Apple hasn't been using stock powervr GPUs for a while.

my point was that, contrary to what was being said, if Apple is doing a custom GPU it isn't to save money on licensing, since while they won't have to license a design they'll still have to license patents if they go their own way.

imgtec even said that there's basically no way Apple can design an entirely custom GPU that doesn't use/infringe on somebody's IP, so apple's still gonna have to license some patents from someone or else get sued, even if the design is 100% custom and new.

img has patents for some basic image pipeline things like culling triangles that are obscured, so apple will have to license something. there is a big difference between the FRAND licensing of some basic patents and licensing a GPU design though, they'll probably pay a lot less.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
weren't they only paying something like $75 million/year to imgtec?

but it would be dumb for Apple to ditch whatever is left of powervr in their current GPUs solely to save money on licensing.

I'm hoping they did it because their custom GPU design is faster.

but then the question becomes: how different from their current GPUs is it? is it still tile based? does it still do deferred shading? will game engines have to be tweaked a little or will they need significant work to get optimal performance on the new GPU?

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

friendly reminder to shame any iwatch owners you know

I work retail. None of my coworkers make more than $14/hr. At least 20 people have iWatches. Whenever I do they get irl butt mad and defend their purchase aggressively

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

people are allowed to save up for a nice thing, particularly in an age where rent, health care, and food often ouytstrip said nice things in cost

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

duTrieux. posted:

people are allowed to save up for a nice thing, particularly in an age where rent, health care, and food often ouytstrip said nice things in cost

what do nice things have to do with an apple watch

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

the 5k imac was the first 5k display on the market and at the time there wasn't actually any way to plug a 5k monitor into a graphics card. not really anything apple could do about that other than bypassing the standardization process and shipping their own improved thunderbolt version, and that would have produced far more complaints than just disabling target display mode until the standards caught up

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Plorkyeran posted:

the 5k imac was the first 5k display on the market and at the time there wasn't actually any way to plug a 5k monitor into a graphics card. not really anything apple could do about that other than bypassing the standardization process and shipping their own improved thunderbolt version, and that would have produced far more complaints than just disabling target display mode until the standards caught up

I have that very first 5k iMac and I love it despite its flaws - like the temp burnin that is pretty obnoxious

still a great computer tho and i can't justify replacing it any time soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

duTrieux. posted:

Lol ;"a nice thing"

• Locked thread