Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

fishmech posted:

Uh, because the parking brake control on the cars in question will literally snap off? I doubt your VW was breaking like this.
https://twitter.com/Tweetermeyer/status/854045821867786241

That's a pretty big issue for any car, it's ludicrous for cars that start at $70,000 and only get pricier

My car had an extremely rare defect where honking the horn could shut off the engine.

Manufacturing defects happen, and this sounds like a few lots were affected. It's not good, especially for a luxury car, but it doesn't compromise safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the first one to make fun of Tesla's lovely reliability and build quality in their 6-figure ride, but they're doing better than industry average by this metric, and the specific issue isn't serious, just dumb:

I just don't get why the parking brake is a foot pedal on a Tesla in the first place. Most luxobarges just have a pushbutton or even automatic brake nowadays, and it's not like it will help you drift it.

Nah it's probably an alloy that they messed up in a batch
vvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 21, 2017

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

How does that even happen?

It almost looks like the pedal shaft is made of cheap plastic. That couldn't possibly be the case, could it?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Wow Mercedes Benz in the early to mid 00's was pretty loving terrible.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm the first one to make fun of Tesla's lovely reliability and build quality in their 6-figure ride, but they're doing better than industry average by this metric, and the specific issue isn't serious, just dumb:

I don't see how this chart says what you say it says.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It almost looks like the pedal shaft is made of cheap plastic. That couldn't possibly be the case, could it?

According to other owners commenting on that tweet, it is, in fact, made out of plastic. Yeesh.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dirk the Average posted:

My car had an extremely rare defect where honking the horn could shut off the engine.

defect? this should be a feature

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Discendo Vox posted:

According to other owners commenting on that tweet, it is, in fact, made out of plastic. Yeesh.

To be fair: there are some engineering plastics, especially carbon or glass finger reinforced ones, that are ridiculously strong, stronger than aluminum. They're expensive, but plastics can absolutely be used in extreme situations so long as they're carefully chosen and engineered.

Which I'm sure Tesla did with their parking break pedal.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Lots of cars use plastic in parking brake systems. gently caress, BMW made the entire cooling system out of disintigrating plastic and people keep buying them.

No one uses parking brakes on non-manual cars anyhow.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

fishmech posted:

I don't see how this chart says what you say it says.

They're recalling cars at a lower rate per 1000 cars than other car companies. If it seems odd to you that you can recall more cars than cars that have been sold, remember that cars can be recalled multiple times, and that a car recall is generally one system or part that needs to be fixed or replaced; the car itself is back on the road once maintenance is performed.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Cicero posted:

Wasn't there an actual movie about this?

fake edit: Yes!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repo_Men

Also "Repo! The Genetic Opera" was based on the premise.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dirk the Average posted:

They're recalling cars at a lower rate per 1000 cars than other car companies. If it seems odd to you that you can recall more cars than cars that have been sold, remember that cars can be recalled multiple times, and that a car recall is generally one system or part that needs to be fixed or replaced; the car itself is back on the road once maintenance is performed.

With the new recall, they're now sitting at 2nd worst on that list.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dirk the Average posted:

They're recalling cars at a lower rate per 1000 cars than other car companies.

That chart isn't counting the fresh new recall of 53,000 vehicles, or the recall issued earlier this year for 2012 Model S vehicles which is expected to extend eventually to all Model S vehicles from 2013-2016 as well.

Just the recall of 53,000 cars for the brake issue + ~2000 cars produced in 2012 for the airbags will put their recalled car total up to ~130,000 cars recalled vs somewhere between 100,000 and 110,000 cars sold, accounting for new sales since September 2016. That would put them at worse than the industry average, significantly worse if the expected recall of 2013, 2014 and 2015 model S cars for the airbags go through.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My bad, didn't notice the date. Still, it's not hugely terrible by industry standards, though there are many factors that could worsen the situation.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

nm posted:

No one uses parking brakes on non-manual cars anyhow.

eh it's pretty common if people live in and park their car on hilly areas. there's less need if you live in a flat-ish area

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

fishmech posted:

Neither fructose nor lactose are harmful, barring allergies and the like.

By fructose I mean added fructose like HFCS. Not fructose inherent to fruit that has its effects mediated by fiber.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

actionjackson posted:

By fructose I mean added fructose like HFCS. Not fructose inherent to fruit that has its effects mediated by fiber.

No. Please don't do this.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

actionjackson posted:

No you don't mean that, because that is meaningless. The "high fructose" part is not in relation to normal sugar, it's in relation to normal corn syrup which is far more heavily glucose and thus a lot less sweet. The scientific evidence shows that HFCS is indistinguishable from regular table sugar in food usage.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

boner confessor posted:

eh it's pretty common if people live in and park their car on hilly areas. there's less need if you live in a flat-ish area

Go look in cars parked in the bay area and prepare to be scared.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

I don't think it's useful to count supplier issues like this against the manufacturer at large, especially when it hit so many different manufacturers at the same time. That's like blaming Boeing for an engine failure when they're designed and built by Pratt & Witney, GE, Rolls Royce, etc.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thoughts and prayers to Subjunctive, who may well be in the SF Financial District, which is currently out of power and thus unable to produce frothy coffee things.

e: map link.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 21, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Solkanar512 posted:

I don't think it's useful to count supplier issues like this against the manufacturer at large, especially when it hit so many different manufacturers at the same time. That's like blaming Boeing for an engine failure when they're designed and built by Pratt & Witney, GE, Rolls Royce, etc.
Well the Tesla pedal is made by Brembo so...

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thoughts and prayers to Subjunctive, who may well be in the SF Financial District, which is currently out of power and thus unable to produce frothy coffee things.

e: map link.

rip all the fake money valuations that couldn't get off the ground because someone couldn't charge their ipad

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

fishmech posted:

No you don't mean that, because that is meaningless. The "high fructose" part is not in relation to normal sugar, it's in relation to normal corn syrup which is far more heavily glucose and thus a lot less sweet. The scientific evidence shows that HFCS is indistinguishable from regular table sugar in food usage.

TRAP SPRUNG

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Solkanar512 posted:

That isn't the best comparison because when airlines lease an airplane from Boeing they select a config including the manufacturer which come with its own warranties etc. So of course Boeing isn't responsible if GE borks it hard and needs to recall a bunch of turbines. But for parts that the manufacturer is sourcing themselves to assemble into a final product that they guarantee then they most certainly are on the hook for supplier issues. Part of sourcing such parts is testing them out and seeing if they'll be acceptable. Once you determine that you do ongoing QA for parts to make sure they meet the specs you know work.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's like the whole day later and I still can't loving handle that exploitive dog leasing thing :psypop:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

You realize you're saying that to fishmech?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Wunderlich is a really on-the-nose surname for a predatory financing person.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Avalanche posted:

This oval office just went out of business and filed for bankruptcy a few days ago. There IS justice!
Well, some of the companies Bristlecone invested in did, and he left Bristlecone. The story reads like a bunch of unrelated tweets but seems like they basically pretended to want to acquire a company just to loot its tools, contact list, and to undercut them on price
http://www.rgj.com/story/news/2017/04/21/only-rgj-reno-financial-tech-company-files-bankruptcy-amid-trade-secret-lawsuit/305830001/

I get the feeling nobody will want to work with him going forward BUT he's not exactly wiped out, either.

Agree with DV that the one sentence version of why the guy is a dick is "We like niches where we’re dealing with emotional borrowers”

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

fishmech posted:

Neither fructose nor lactose are harmful, barring allergies and the like.

Tell it to the worldwide diabetes and obesity epidemic

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dmitri-9 posted:

Excess of anything is unhealthy

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Andrast posted:

Excess of anything is unhealthy

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

no, sorry, you're just stupid

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mobby_6kl posted:

I just don't get why the parking brake is a foot pedal on a Tesla in the first place.

The parking brake is not on a foot pedal on mine, and it wasn't on my last one. Parking brake is engaged automatically when shifting to Park, which you do by pressing a button. AFAIK it's always been that way.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Honestly though, aside from battery power, what feature is available in a tesla that you can't get in fossil fuel car? That you really need? Touch screen HVAC?

Does it even have HUD?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Unreal acceleration, which is surprisingly useful in real life, and AFAICT the best autopilot in the business, plus a quiet ride. Some media stuff (podcasts f.e.) that I haven't seen elsewhere, but I haven't been looking. Do other nav systems use Google map data now?

I got it because I wanted an electric toy, though.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Subjunctive posted:

Unreal acceleration, which is surprisingly useful in real life, and AFAICT the best autopilot in the business, plus a quiet ride. Some media stuff (podcasts f.e.) that I haven't seen elsewhere, but I haven't been looking. Do other nav systems use Google map data now?

I got it because I wanted an electric toy, though.

Lol o rly

https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2017/04/21/2187755/tesla-says-this-is-not-the-vaporware-you-are-looking-for/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
poo poo's paywalled

The performance you can actually take advantage of pretty stealthily is definitely an appealing aspect. As John Carmack explained here were well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L51eoUFp_YA&t=224s

tl;dr: His Testarossa was much faster overall but flooring it at every stoplight like with the Tesla would get him arrested very quickly because every cop in a 3 mile radius would hear him

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dmitri-9 posted:

Which isn't caused by that. Christ, tons of the world doesn't even drink milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
poo poo's paywalled

The performance you can actually take advantage of pretty stealthily is definitely an appealing aspect. As John Carmack explained here were well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L51eoUFp_YA&t=224s

tl;dr: His Testarossa was much faster overall but flooring it at every stoplight like with the Tesla would get him arrested very quickly because every cop in a 3 mile radius would hear him

It's not a paywall. Just register and you can read it for free.