Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

what does HD call their brand/model of these

Video comparison for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJdjzwj2Tn8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ehh seems like they are ok but I'd probably be fine with just one knipex instead of 3 knock offs of differing sizes

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Sad fact...they don't at least they don't any more. I drive through the area daily and have can't remember ever seeing a kph sign. When taking I75 South into Knoxville there is a sign that is in both, I took way too long finding this stupid thing on google maps to not post it...

drat, always sucks to lose a car to an idiot like that

That is sad, I moved out of Knoxville in 2004 back then they had it on all the signs (now I miss Big Ed's). Other fun stuff: friend's dad worked at y12 and sometimes we'd be at their lake house and his radiation badge would go off and he'd have to go back to the lab and be monitored (he called it sleep lab). Got overtime too.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Guys: a Buick Roadmaster wagon has come into my life and it's very exciting.

A gal that skates derby with my girlfriend has a real love for those things and when her fiancee's dad heard about it, he gave her one. She only just got it but she doesn't know anyone else who even likes cars and she wants it to run forever. It's already completed a 150 mile journey home so it runs and drives fine, so it'll likely be little things here and there. First thing: fix the power steering.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

scuz posted:

A gal that skates derby with my girlfriend has a real love for those things and when her fiancee's dad heard about it, he gave her one. She only just got it but she doesn't know anyone else who even likes cars and she wants it to run forever. It's already completed a 150 mile journey home so it runs and drives fine, so it'll likely be little things here and there. First thing: fix the power steering.

Everything's coming up scuz!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
The best things in life involve a $300 crown vic, $500 in tires, and a plasma cutter/sawzall/MIG.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

scuz posted:

My wife did derby for awhile until 3 girls broke an ankle in a period of two months. It spooked her so she gave it up, don't blame her because it ain't worth the risk unless you can afford to be laid up with broken bones.

Cool deal on the Roadmaster tho, post pics.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
One of the first classes I taught had a guy break his ankle during a drill who insisted that he was fine and walked out. Derby's fun, just know your limits.

Pics of 'master when I get home.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My wife did derby for awhile until 3 girls broke an ankle in a period of two months. It spooked her so she gave it up, don't blame her because it ain't worth the risk unless you can afford to be laid up with broken bones.

This is the exact reason my wife stopped doing roller derby once the kiddo showed up.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

the spyder posted:

The best things in life involve a $300 crown vic, $500 in tires, and a plasma cutter/sawzall/MIG.

I want to know much, much more.

Like, when can I drive it?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is the exact reason my wife stopped doing roller derby once the kiddo showed up.

Yeah we had ours already think he was 2 at the time, she was just doing it for fun and exercise. But when people start dropping like flies you gotta re evaluate I guess :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Safety Dance posted:

I want to know much, much more.

Like, when can I drive it?

I'm going to have to second this.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Got an offer on the house. HERE WE GO!

Full ask, but they want us to pay $5000 in closing costs. I countered saying we'd be nice and give them $1000 but that's it and we get to stay through the end of May.
We've still got other showings this week so I'm feeling pretty good about it.
:hfive:
Accepted an offer on mine a few days ago myself. Listed for 2.5 weeks which is pretty drat good considering homes in our price range are typically on the market for 60-90 days.

Deal was made within $1K of asking price, but they wanted our washing machine, dryer and deep freeze. Deep freeze is no biggie as it's about 15 years old and to be honest a pain in the rear end to move (besides, I could get a newer far more efficient one at Costco for $200) so I guess we're shopping for washers and dryers. Deciding between an Electrolux set or a Speed Queen @2x the price. I am ruling out Samsung or LG due to the absolute nightmare horror stories I've heard of servicing them and parts. Even with the appliances, we're still over our minimum of what we would have taken as a bottom line, so we're happy.

Start moving into the new shack end of next week.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oohh new Netflix show!

BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Man, I really want to move but it's just not in the cards right now. I have 4 cars (technically 5 until I sell my old daily) with a 2 car garage but otherwise everything is perfect. I'm throwing down almost 800 a month into principal and I paid so little in interest last year that my itemized deductions were actually lower than the standard deduction. Basically I'm going to stay here till my daughter graduates high school and then see what the cards deal us. If she goes to college out of state then I'm probably out of here and will move in with my dad to ride out the last few years of his life. He's 80 and very spry right now but that could change at any time so I want to hang with him as much as I can. If my daughter goes to college locally then I want to stick around and help keep her expenses down.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I like the concept of this guy's channel, but I can't stand the way he pronounces "jaws" as "jawls."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
He says "kuh-nipp-ex". I always thought it was "nigh-pex".

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The knights that say kuh-nipp-ex.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

in german and norwegian and i'm pretty sure danish/swedish you pronounce it kah-nipp-ex

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i guess they're a german company so pronouncing it like that makes sense

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's a brand name I've never heard said, only seen written.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

It's me, I'm the pain in the rear end home buyer asking for closing costs.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

slidebite posted:

I am ruling out Samsung or LG due to the absolute nightmare horror stories I've heard of servicing them and parts.

I think you have to take a lot of that with a big grain of salt. I find that a lot of higher end, lower volume machines have reviews weighted to positive because buyers aren't honest about their experience to justify the amount they spent.....and the lower cost, higher volume machines have the inverse effect. If nothing else, I think that at least the claims of parts availability problems are mostly b.s. Some people are better at complaining on the internet, then using a search form.

But hey buy what you want! I want a Bosch dishwasher, but my $100 scratch-and-dent GE just keeps going!

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

slidebite posted:

:hfive:
Accepted an offer on mine a few days ago myself. Listed for 2.5 weeks which is pretty drat good considering homes in our price range are typically on the market for 60-90 days.

Deal was made within $1K of asking price, but they wanted our washing machine, dryer and deep freeze. Deep freeze is no biggie as it's about 15 years old and to be honest a pain in the rear end to move (besides, I could get a newer far more efficient one at Costco for $200) so I guess we're shopping for washers and dryers. Deciding between an Electrolux set or a Speed Queen @2x the price. I am ruling out Samsung or LG due to the absolute nightmare horror stories I've heard of servicing them and parts. Even with the appliances, we're still over our minimum of what we would have taken as a bottom line, so we're happy.

Start moving into the new shack end of next week.

Is LG that bad? I have heard the Samsung horror stories, but my 4 year old set of LG machines have been perfect. Same with the Bosch dishwasher although I don't like how long it takes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In Chicago for the weekend.

Even this murder filled metropolis is better than anything in Indiana.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

the spyder posted:

:stare: WITNESS!

scuz posted:

A good page this page.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Previa_fun posted:

It's me, I'm the pain in the rear end home buyer asking for closing costs.

The two times I bought a house, I asked for closing costs. Both times the buyer agreed to split them!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh and I'm down 15 pounds! Good day so far!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

angryrobots posted:

I think you have to take a lot of that with a big grain of salt. I find that a lot of higher end, lower volume machines have reviews weighted to positive because buyers aren't honest about their experience to justify the amount they spent.....and the lower cost, higher volume machines have the inverse effect. If nothing else, I think that at least the claims of parts availability problems are mostly b.s. Some people are better at complaining on the internet, then using a search form.

But hey buy what you want! I want a Bosch dishwasher, but my $100 scratch-and-dent GE just keeps going!

To be fair I will admit it is completely anecdotal. I personally know 6 people with LG or Samsung laundry pairs, and 4 of those 6 started having problems within 2 years. The all said unanimously the repair guys complained about the lack of parts and support for them versus the North American, or even European brands, and one of them can't even find a local repair person to come out and look at it. Parts availability issues seem to be a common theme that the sales people even admit to if you ask them. Part of the problem seems to be LG and Samsung seem to change their model line up multiple times a year, so by the time your 2-3 year old washer shits the bed it's already 4-5 model generations old.

I'm really leaning towards an Electrolux, maybe a Whirlpool/Maytag, or possibly even a Speed Queen but I don't think I can justify the huge jump in $$$ for those for just the two of us. They are supposed to be a commercial front loader without the coin machine and nicer controls. Guts are supposedly identical to a laundromat unit which sounds good but they are literally 2x the price.

e: The whole closing costs thing is sort of foreign to me. In Canada at least, the norm is that the seller and buyer both have lawyers that do the bulk of the paperwork and each is responsible for their own costs... although sometimes a seller/buyer may use the same lawyer who will cut them a break.

The real estate commissions are paid for out of the sellers side, although of course those funds come from the buyer paying for the house so in a way they're actually the ones paying for them.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 21, 2017

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Rhyno posted:

In Chicago for the weekend.

Even this murder filled metropolis is better than anything in Indiana.

What are you up to up here?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Whirlpool/Maytag generally has good parts availability, so does Speed Queen. I have no idea on Electrolux, never owned anything from them.

I don't think I could justify the cost for a brand new Speed Queen I gave up meth 15 years ago, and I'm far from new :v:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Man, asked a guy when his 944's timing belt was last changed... 5,000 miles ago, in the year 2005.

A twelve year old timing belt.. he was pissed when I told him I didn't think it'd make it the hundred miles home unless it was on a flatbed.

944s have an interval of like, 30,000 or every two years, with the tension checked halfway between.

edit: lmao "car is better than you deserve" when I asked how old the tires were.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 21, 2017

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

rdb posted:

Is LG that bad? I have heard the Samsung horror stories, but my 4 year old set of LG machines have been perfect. Same with the Bosch dishwasher although I don't like how long it takes.

Better knock on wood - my 4 year old LG fridge just decided to quit making ice last night.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fence is done, back is hosed, yay home ownership!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

CharlesM posted:

They put a kph only speedo in the car? Canada has dual markings... Ironically though MPH speedos are not required in the U.S. while KPH are. A relic of us once believing we'd one day join the rest of the world with the metric system.

Y'know you can join the metric system and just keep one or two special things like MPH and pints, right?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CornHolio posted:

Man, asked a guy when his 944's timing belt was last changed... 5,000 miles ago, in the year 2005.

A twelve year old timing belt.. he was pissed when I told him I didn't think it'd make it the hundred miles home unless it was on a flatbed.

944s have an interval of like, 30,000 or every two years, with the tension checked halfway between.

edit: lmao "car is better than you deserve" when I asked how old the tires were.

Based on the map from the Craigslist ad, it looks like the car is located in the hood. I should've warned you.

Washer chat : you should buy a GE so you can watch the machine wash your clothes.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Fence is done, back is hosed, yay home ownership!

Nice! All my posts are mocking me neatly stacked in the side yard maybe start this week. Put new front and back doors in the house with help of a friend, Plus snazzy new schlage keypad locks

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Can confirm, keypad deadbolts are the poo poo.

rdb posted:

I have the same age set of LG, and same experience. God drat cat chewed a hole in the drain hose, but it easy to service and the part was no problem to cross reference on Amazon for cheap. From the underside, it looked pretty easy to work on overall.

What I found in reviews was that there's a couple common failure points like anything, but well documented. And the direct drive motor has a 10 year warranty....

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 21, 2017

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Yeah, I love my keypad deadbolt. Being able to not ever have to remember keys if I'm going out for a walk is great, as is being able to set up temporary codes for house/pet-sitters and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Goober Peas posted:

Better knock on wood - my 4 year old LG fridge just decided to quit making ice last night.

You should check the water filter in the fridge. Usually those get clogged up and you get little to no water flow.

• Locked thread